Options

Awake: That show where they took Fringe and CSI and put them in a blender

24

Posts

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The last five minutes of the pilot really throw some great twists on the concept.

  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh shit, I gotta remember to set my TiVo.

    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Dammit, I hate this new quoting system.

    You can change the settings in your profile.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    so is this a Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes thing?

    No, I don't think so. It switches between two separate realities constantly*, not primarily staying in one reality.

    * haven't seen any episodes just speculating. Have seen trailers.

  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    Dammit, I hate this new quoting system.

    go into your profile, edit profile, quote settings. you can turn off folding

    You are a wizard.

    first thing i did today when i got on and saw the changes was look for a way to turn them off

  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Oh man, they sure weren't subtle about foreshadowing that
    the tennis coach is going to try to start a relationship with him and it's going to cause conflict in the other reality

  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    Dammit, I hate this new quoting system.

    go into your profile, edit profile, quote settings. you can turn off folding

    You are a wizard.

    first thing i did today when i got on and saw the changes was look for a way to turn them off

    Nah. I like them. neogaf does it, too, and I was actually wishing just the other day that PA would do it.

    Obviously I am psychic.

    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i don't need no extra clicks to read posts

  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote:
    Oh man, they sure weren't subtle about foreshadowing that
    the tennis coach is going to try to start a relationship with him and it's going to cause conflict in the other reality

    Yeah I can see what they are doing there

    I'm very interested what they do with all the various complications that might arise

    Like, I don't know

    What if he just stays up all night?

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote:
    Peccavi wrote:
    Oh man, they sure weren't subtle about foreshadowing that
    the tennis coach is going to try to start a relationship with him and it's going to cause conflict in the other reality

    Yeah I can see what they are doing there

    I'm very interested what they do with all the various complications that might arise

    Like, I don't know

    What if he just stays up all night?

    I assume they'll solve it daybreak style where he can try to just stay awake through the night but will close his eyes for a second and BOOM wakes up in other reality

  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Peccavi wrote:
    Oh man, they sure weren't subtle about foreshadowing that
    the tennis coach is going to try to start a relationship with him and it's going to cause conflict in the other reality

    Yeah I can see what they are doing there

    I'm very interested what they do with all the various complications that might arise

    Like, I don't know

    What if he just stays up all night?

    I assume they'll solve it daybreak style where he can try to just stay awake through the night but will close his eyes for a second and BOOM wakes up in other reality

    So he just passes out in the other reality? What if someone or something wakes him up? Does he pass out during the day in the other reality?

    So many questions!

    In fact
    That one lady therapist was talking about this being him trying to figure out what really happened the night of the accident

    Which makes me wonder if that will turn out to be the key and learning what really happened will have it all turn out to be some weird time-travel/dimension-hopping/trapped in his mind sci-fi bullshit

    I don't know if I'd be okay with that, but I'm still super excited to find out

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote:
    So he just passes out in the other reality? What if someone or something wakes him up? Does he pass out during the day in the other reality?

    So many questions!

    In fact
    That one lady therapist was talking about this being him trying to figure out what really happened the night of the accident

    Which makes me wonder if that will turn out to be the key and learning what really happened will have it all turn out to be some weird time-travel/dimension-hopping/trapped in his mind sci-fi bullshit

    I don't know if I'd be okay with that, but I'm still super excited to find out

    It's that
    or insanity.

  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So I just finished watching the pilot of this and wow, I loved it. I see a lot of potential in different areas and am excited to see where it goes.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also I love BD Wong.

    I LOVE him.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    PS, the real secret is that
    He's actually dead.

  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Also I love BD Wong.

    I LOVE him.

    BD Wong is pretty great, yes.

  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote:
    PS, the real secret is that
    He's actually dead.
    He's a Draugr. He drove all the criminals mad himself.

  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Hullis wrote:
    Also, this show is more Life on Mars than anything.

    Really, Life on Mars + Life.

    Alright, that sounds right up my street.

    Might try this one out. And heck, those both did a good job with 2 seasons.

    Yeah same, I'll have to see if this is airing in Australia any time soon.

    (Although the short seasons for Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes were intentional)

  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote:
    PS, the real secret is that
    He's actually dead.

    I already said this.

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was only half paying attention to the pilot.

    Is one therapist encouraging his delusion while the other is warning against it?
    Does this mean that one is GOOD and one is EVIL!?!?!?!

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I was only half paying attention to the pilot.

    Is one therapist encouraging his delusion while the other is warning against it?
    Does this mean that one is GOOD and one is EVIL!?!?!?!

    I think
    One is asking him to explore the delusion while another is telling him to dismiss it. I didn't get the sense that either wants him to continue within it but they each are proposing different ways of snapping him out it.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Yeah sorry does not sound like Fringe at all.

    I may give it a shot later tonight.
    two universes?

    Literally the only similarity.

    But a pretty huge one!

    Look, I've only seen one episode of Fringe, but it's the only other show I've heard of where multiple realities are a normal thing and not a one-off.

  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    you should watch more Fringe, dude. it's a pretty great show.

  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote:
    The only thing that was confusing for me was
    Why the same perp had such wildly different crimes in each reality.
    I'm pretty sure they weren't the same perp, dude. The kidnapper guy was old and the cabbie murderer was young. Also I thought the cabbie murderer was wearing a fake beard.
    "How did you know he had red hair?"

    Also, cab killer had an apartment in 611 Waverly, while kidnapper had a camper parked in 611 Waverly's spot.

    I thought they looked different too (though I didn't get a good look at cab killer), but the implication seems to be that they are the same dude.

    Of course, I could be totally wrong. Someone tell me how wrong I am. Maybe check the credits?

  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    If you can stand an awful female lead and a terribly bland male lead

    Other than those things though yeah, it's a great show

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    she apparently acted intentionally wooden (yeah i dunno either) in season one

    she gets much MUCH better in season two, olivaw

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Also this is more aptly described as Lone Star meets Life on Mars.

  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    you should watch more Fringe, dude. it's a pretty great show.

    Fringe is a god damned amazing show. Walter Bishop couldn't be on a lesser show.

    And holy cow, good pilot. I'm kind of excited to actually have a show like this just start. All of my friends trade around shows for all of us to catch up on (Lost, Doctor Who, Fringe, what have you) but this looks like a really good one that we can all jump into from the start.

    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Also
    I aim to be disappointed (especially with the alcohol content/car crash thing)but I kind of hope this a show that actually has very little mythology and just explores the concept instead of answering it.

    Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Motherfuckin' B.D. Wong is in this show?

    Sold.

    P.S. - This premieres tonight.

    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    B.D. Wong might have one of the most calming presences in TV.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i'm watching this now

    it had better be as good as i'm hoping

  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    It is.

    Also, I think I understand about the perps now:
    The perp in one reality was the witness in the other?

    As I reasoned earlier in the thread, I thought they might be the same guy.

  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Scratch that. Forgot about the red hair. They have to be the same dude, right?

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the teenage kid on this show isn't a whiny little shit which is incredibly refreshing

  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    the teenage kid on this show isn't a whiny little shit which is incredibly refreshing

    that was really nice

    so yeah, just finished up the pilot... really good. just really, really good.

  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So
    I didn't notice but his cut didn't carry over to the reality with his son right? He is only mentally the same in both realities but not physically?

    Vesty on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Vesty wrote: »
    So
    I didn't notice but his cut didn't carry over to the reality with his son right? He is only mentally the same in both realities but not physically?
    correct, the cut didn't appear in the reality with his son.

  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    speaking generally i really really hope this show tries to stay shy of sci fi explanations and alternate universe muck

    even if it only has legs for one season, i'd much rather have one solid season of a high concept psychological drama about dealing with loss than a couple season with some sci fi trappings trying to explain things away

    Vann Diras on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    God I hope so too. I can't see this kind of show doing a mythology.

    aGPmIBD.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.