As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I just applied to be a librarian for DC Comics (Feelin' Good thread)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I mean if you're still gonna be omay money-wise then save your sanity

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    the pay is tips only

Are you being literal here? Because what the fuck.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's a tiny place, hasn't been open long and they don't make much money yet

If they had to cut us checks every week I don't imagine they'd be open long

I basically did it because these people are friends and I thought being a bartender would be cool but in the end the cons outweigh the pros

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ah yeah. I mean I like being a bartender but I definitely wouldn't do it for no money. Only nearly no money.

I am feeling good because I just got back from seeing Rammstein for the first time. I saw things tonight I ain't never seen before.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm probably gonna have to up my Zoloft dosage when I go back to the doctor in March

It's helped a lot with my anxiety, definitely better than I was before, but not where I should/want to be. Like, I went out today and saw friends and their friends (strangers) for the first time in 2 months or so, and my anxiety wasn't all "DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT! HAVE SOME STOMACH CRAMPS" I felt fine, but I still was feeling anxiety when it came to conversation and inserting myself in it

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Guys I went snowboarding today. Me and some friends from work and from other game companies got together and got on a bus that runs on grease and oh my god.

I only went down the hill twice but oh my goodness. I had so much fun.

I am also so incredibly sore aaaaaaaaughhh

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I went snowboarding once.

I got a brief lesson, got some practise on the bunny slopes.

Felt pretty confident.

And then my first time on a proper hill I kept falling, but as I went along I got more comfortable and toward the very bottom I was able to maintain my balance and started picking up some speed coming into the very last turn, which curved downward to where you get on the lifts.

I came in on my heel side, caught my edge, fell back HARD, hurting my wrist as I reached back to stop myself and banging the back of my head on ice. My hat and gloves both flew off like 15 feet away from the impact.

As I was lying there, wondering if my wrist was broken and/or if I had a concussion, the safety person came up and called on their radio to bring in the gurney. He told them the location of my fall: "Suicide Corner."

Even in my dazed state I had to side-eye that name.

And then they pulled me behind a snowmobile which kicked snow into my face and I got an x-ray and had to wear a cast on my wrist for weeks.

.. I haven't been snowboarding since.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    GG, I totally understand where you're coming from with the pros and cons, and I think sometimes it's just not worth your sanity and well-being to keep doing what you're doing. I just finished six months where I was working not only my regular job at the kindergarten, but two additional private lessons four days a week, as well as studying full-time, and as a result I basically drove myself into the ground. The extra cash inflow was nice, and I felt bad telling my private lessons that I wouldn't be able to continue on, but I was going out of my mind with stress, lack of sleep, and lack of leisure time.

So, basically, don't do that.

Also when I was working in Chicago I was closing at two a.m., commuting home and waking up at 8 to apply for better jobs and I ended up slicing my thumb almost to the bone twice!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Hey guys

So I just got back from work and after we had closed I sat down with my boss and told him what was up
    He was really cool about it and said he totally understood, that I'd be welcome back any time I felt up to it, and he hoped to keep seeing me as a customer (which he will)

It's a big weight off my mind to not have to worry about it any more

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    :^: :^:

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Sandra what was the job you were working in Chicago?

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    I was feeling pretty shitty earlier, because I haven't been sleeping well and I flaked out on going to an album launch that I wanted to go to because my social avoidance got the better of me - but then my lady came online and made me feel better because she pretty much had the exact same situation with going out tonight. She's back on Tuesday, I'm so damned excited.

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    I'm probably gonna have to up my Zoloft dosage when I go back to the doctor in March

It's helped a lot with my anxiety, definitely better than I was before, but not where I should/want to be. Like, I went out today and saw friends and their friends (strangers) for the first time in 2 months or so, and my anxiety wasn't all "DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT! HAVE SOME STOMACH CRAMPS" I felt fine, but I still was feeling anxiety when it came to conversation and inserting myself in it

Hey, I don't really know you and I know my opinion may be unwelcome so please don't take offense or whatever. Feel free to totally ignore me but this is just a thing I'm thinking. But maybe it's a good thing to still be feeling a low level of anxiety if you are at least functioning? I know it's not pleasant, I used to have serious anxiety issues a few years back so please don't think I'm belittling how difficult it is. But if you just up the drugs to totally numb it what happens when you come off them?

Maybe you can take the opportunity of feeling reduced anxiety to try and develop techniques for dealing with it. To stop feeling anxious about the anxiety, as it were.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well and you may have already heard all this before so I'll shut up. Like I said I hope my comments aren't out of place and I'm sorry if they are. I think you're a pretty cool dude and I want you to get happier.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    haha, man you ain't gotta be so apologetic about your suggestions!

I much prefer being numb/vaguely pleased with everything that happens, rather than being filled with low-level anxiety constantly.

sure I turn into a useless gibbering wreck when I'm off them, but thems the breaks

• Options
    Man I just don't want him to think I'm stomping in here being all "rah, drugs are bad let me list the ways to fix your life because I know all!"

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    graduating from high school was literally the best thing that ever happened to me.

man, you know what i just realized? if i hadn't been talking to my ex after i had taken all that vicodin and ambien to say goodbye, and she hadn't called 911, and i had been successful

i wouldn't be alive right now to experience all the joy and excitement going on in my life right now

that's some heavy shit

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think like that about one of my best mates who killed herself aged 21.

Life got so much better for me in the years since then. I can't help wondering if she'd failed that time and was still here, would she finally be happy.

But they're dark thoughts and I don't like em.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    hey you guys

isn't life graand

• Options
    weather man bobweather man bob El Heffer Assholeville USARegistered User regular
    Life is one of a kind for sure.

• Options

I worked charcuterie and occasionally the butcher shop at a fancy grocery. Meat slicers! Don't fuck around with them when you're overtired!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am recovering from my flu.

I feel greeeat.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    smof wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

Hey, I don't really know you and I know my opinion may be unwelcome so please don't take offense or whatever. Feel free to totally ignore me but this is just a thing I'm thinking. But maybe it's a good thing to still be feeling a low level of anxiety if you are at least functioning? I know it's not pleasant, I used to have serious anxiety issues a few years back so please don't think I'm belittling how difficult it is. But if you just up the drugs to totally numb it what happens when you come off them?

Maybe you can take the opportunity of feeling reduced anxiety to try and develop techniques for dealing with it. To stop feeling anxious about the anxiety, as it were.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well and you may have already heard all this before so I'll shut up. Like I said I hope my comments aren't out of place and I'm sorry if they are. I think you're a pretty cool dude and I want you to get happier.

Oh, don't worry about it!! I don't take offense at people trying to be helpful

You might be right; I dunno, this is all pretty new to me. I mean, I'd love to not need the drugs and all, but after trying to "fix" it for so long and getting nowhere, it's what I turned to.

But yeah it's kind of an ongoing circle at times. Like when I was driving home yesterday I got depressed that I had anxiety with everyone, and then I got depressed that I was getting depressed because I'd been doing so good

I dunno how I'm gonna be when I come off of them eventually. I'm hoping not too bad, but like I said this is the first time I've dealt with this stuff

• Options
    I've been having so much trouble getting up in the morning this past week and I can't remember if it started before I finished my Ativan prescription or not

I'm just so tired in the morning but then I've been staying up later. Gotta get my schedule fixed again

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    I went snowboarding once.

I got a brief lesson, got some practise on the bunny slopes.

Felt pretty confident.

And then my first time on a proper hill I kept falling, but as I went along I got more comfortable and toward the very bottom I was able to maintain my balance and started picking up some speed coming into the very last turn, which curved downward to where you get on the lifts.

I came in on my heel side, caught my edge, fell back HARD, hurting my wrist as I reached back to stop myself and banging the back of my head on ice. My hat and gloves both flew off like 15 feet away from the impact.

As I was lying there, wondering if my wrist was broken and/or if I had a concussion, the safety person came up and called on their radio to bring in the gurney. He told them the location of my fall: "Suicide Corner."

Even in my dazed state I had to side-eye that name.

And then they pulled me behind a snowmobile which kicked snow into my face and I got an x-ray and had to wear a cast on my wrist for weeks.

.. I haven't been snowboarding since.

Yeah, never put your arms back when falling

Lesson numero uno

It also really helped that it was snowing a shitton while we were there, all completely fresh white powder. It was awesome.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    I think the anxiety is just plain coming back now. I guess the Ativan did more than I thought it did :(

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    My Xbox just red ringed, after I finally had some time to play and I just downloaded a bunch of DLC for Space Marine. Kinda bummed about that.

• Options

I worked charcuterie and occasionally the butcher shop at a fancy grocery. Meat slicers! Don't fuck around with them when you're overtired!

I could barely be trusted to use one wide awake

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I really want to go snowboarding again sometime to redeem myself (also because it was fun until the crash and I think I'm a lot more coordinated these days and would fare much better). Just never get the chance.

Also I am officially completely fucking sick of my job. Pro tip: if you get a cup of soup from the salad bar, eat half of it and realise you can't finish it, don't dump it back into the pot.

Especially not within two minutes of the salad bar guy filling up the pot with fresh soup.

Because of that kid (he wasn't even that young! I'd guess like 12-13 or so) I not only had to throw away a whole bunchload of perfectly good chicken noodle soup, I had to actually cook more noodles I would otherwise not have needed to make. Because what I absolutely need is even more work. I totally don't already have more to do than anybody else in the restaurant, no siree.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    I busted my ass on my one snowboarding run
    I couldn't get it into my head that you have better control if you lean forward

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I never learned how to snowboard because the girl who was supposed to teach me how broke up with me less than a week before christmas.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Man, I think today is the first time I can actually post in this thread!

I'd been sick off and on all week, missed classes, missed events, fell behind on deadlines, but I'm feeling well again, and I had a genuinely good day today for the first time in a long while.
    One of my friends is in the top-tier choir at our school, and they were putting on a performance today directed by the former chair of the music department, who is now the associate dean of the School of the Arts at our sister campus in Qatar. Anyways, my friend had me do three ink illustrations based on quotations from the director as a parting gift, which she presented to him at the end of a very lovely and impressive concert in the local cathedral. I got mentioned by name, plus I got a paycheck for it- it's been a while since I've had any paid art work and I'd forgotten how nice it feels to get money for doing the thing you enjoy and are good at.

I spent the afternoon grocery shopping- it's good to have food in the house again.

Then this evening I got together with a small group of friends for an Academy Awards potluck (I made a delicious fruit salad). It was an enjoyable night of good conversation and entertainment, with no social anxiety or nothin(!)
    I've got an art project idea that I'm super excited to pitch tomorrow, and I am well and truly tired (and looking forward to not going to bed at 7am), so I'm going to peruse the Oscars thread a bit and then sleeeeep.

Keep up the good feelins, everyone!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    After months of pretty severe lower back and leg pain (especially the sciatic nerve), pain in my sides, my right shoulder blade and a chest tightness on my right side, I got a professional massage for the first time today

It felt pretty goddamned amazing

Some of the chest tightness is creeping back now, hours later, I'm hoping getting a good night's rest will help relieve some of this

• Options
    I climbed outdoors for the first time yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day way warmer than February should be and we did two routes, and it was so exciting to actually be climbing rock instead of coloured plastic. The second route got pretty terrifying as all my instincts were screaming you are a ground animal, this is not a position you should be in and I had a wee nervous breakdown but still got to the top without falling off. Best I've felt in ages and now I just want to get onto more rock asap.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I feel good, I went to a hockey game, then I got drunk, and then I got more drunk, and now I am waiting for pizza.

It has been a good day.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    incapable of writing cover letters
    feeling bad

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I really need to get started on these mood journals because holy shit.

It wouldn't be so bad if my perceptions of 'good' and bad moods wasn't ao out of whack either.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    Hurph humph harumph

this has been the worst month

i had things going pretty well for me and it all kind of spiraled out when things with the girl i was seeing (not even dating, really) went south and triggered me bumming myself out/blaming myself for everything/feeling like an idiot. it's crazy how one tiny event can make me depressed for a whole month.

then i went on a school-sponsored retreat thing at the behest of some friends who had good experiences with it and i think the biggest thing that i got out of it was that i just plain don't like myself that much right now. i am constantly fearing that the people who are my friends secretly hate/resent me without reason, i never feel like i deserve anything. i get (unreasonably) bummed out around people's happiness. it's not even like my life is in a shitty place right now: i have friends that love me and are there for me, i'm going to college in a great city. yet i can only ever focus on how (in my mind) i am a non-contributing leech on everyone's time and efforts.

my use of weed as an anti-depressant has quickly turned from something i would joke about to something i depend on to have a good time/be around others.

i've made an appointment with my school's counseling dept. so hopefully something positive comes of that. i've never done any sort of counseling/therapy before.

bleh.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Sars.

Let us hang out. I will punch you in order to make you feel better.

That's how that works, right?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    punch him in the butt, Tonkka

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    man i would love to see your mug and get punched soon. we still ain't been to a show together yet either.