As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

External HD that does more

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a plan in my head, but I'm not sure the technology exists to do everything I want.

I have a Bell HD Satellite Receiver (model 6131). I want to hook up an external HD to it, turning it into a PVR. This is possible. There are, apparently, some compatibility issues with certain brands/models, and the common 'auto-sleep' feature could interfere with scheduled recording. But I'm assuming those features can be disabled?

Aside from it being a PVR for my receiver, I would also like it to be hooked up to my home network, so that I can back up files to it from any device that has access to that network (desktop PC and laptop, at the moment) as well as be read by any device that has access, for videos, music, and images. This can be through either WiFi or wired Ethernet. I have no preference, as there is a free cable hookup right by where it will be stored, or I have a wireless router if need be.

Does such a feature-ful external HD exist? Can this networking work at the same time as it being used as a PVR? If not, I would then ditch the PVR idea and have it as a backup/sharing drive on the network. Any suggestions are welcome, guys. I've got a $60 Bestbuy gift card, so if I could find it there that would be tops, too. Bestbuy.ca, not .com.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    What you are talking about exists, I'm not sure about at the same time.

You can buy routers, that basically do what the PVR does. You plug it in to the ROUTER, and suddenly you now have a network drive. However that's a USB connection (like the PVR will use). I'm not sure if a) you can get a external HDD with 2 USB ports/cords and b) even if you did, not sure if that would work, plugged into 2 devices at once.

For example my router has a USB port so I can plug it in.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I can't change routers, since I have a very specific model with firmware installed to use MLPPP and get around Bell's throttling through my current wholesaler. The router was actually purchased through them.

Is there a such thing as an external HD with either an ethernet port or WiFi?

Edit: errr, I guess if I'm accepting that it can't be a PVR too, I could just hook up the external HD to my PC and network it that way...

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Network Attached Storage (NAS).

Like this connects through ethernet. But again, 2 connections at once is the limitation I think, not how it connects.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, doing everything at once EXCEPT the PVR aspect (directly, at least-- not sure whether there's a way to point the satellite box to a hard drive somewhere on your network) at the same time is kind of standard with most external drives these days, I think. Using a drive for both backup and media streaming is definitely common enough. A lot of external drives are easily hooked up to a router, too, but given that a lot of routers I've seen only have one USB port and might not have their ports powered, you'd likely want a drive with a power cord if you went that route. I think most external drives that don't use a power cord want to use a second, powered USB slot to run the drive, so it can be tougher to hook that style of drive to a router. I don't really have experiences with PVRs myself, so I can't really help with that angle.