As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret Tijuana Death[Phalla] - End of Match: Leaving The Ring Victorious

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Thanks for the explanation, Capfalcon. I actually tried looking the term up on that Phalla wiki that turns up now and then but 90% of the pages on that, optimistically speaking, seem to have been made by spambots.

• daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Dunalists also often contained an inexplicable lack of mafia, even when duna was village.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    A theory of mine kinda got scuppered by INANTP dying, oh well. His fighter was Pterodactyl Man, so it's probably a good idea to bet against that fighter as he won't be around to bribe their stats up (I suppose the mafia could blind bribe to raise all the stats, but that's fine as they'll just be reducing their available cash).

Kime

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    127680162522.jpg

also la parka represent!

corvidae on
    Who are you to doubt El Dandy?

• FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    I took a minute to look at the flashwagons from yesterday. Here's what I got.
    On page 14, Bedlam posts a vote count that is basically a whole bunch of 1s. At the BOTP, Langly votes for Kias, tying himself and Kias for first. The Kias wagon starts in earnest around Sportzboy's vote in the middle of the next page. Votes for others are interspersed before Roman and SeGaTai push Kias out even further. 1/3 of the way into page 16, Pharezon calls out Goose while 38thDoe piles onto Kias. Egos adds to Kias and then Goose comes out talking about being in a second place tie and vote trickle/ME Phalla mechanics and how he will RNG his vote. Shabooty votes him. Goose gets defensive about Shabooty tying the second place vote.

This is where I make a half-joke, half-goose-is-being-goofy-and-suspicious post. Then all hell breaks loose. Phyphor, JABMonkey, Corvidae all vote for Goose within 7 minutes of me. I check the magic box and it says that Goose has risen from 2nd place to tie for out of nowhere. This makes me nervous, and apparently I wasn't the only one, as Phyphor also comments on how quick that shifted. So I switch back to Kias, voicing my concern.

Kias stays in first for awhile. Then, on page 20, INANTP makes a joke vote about Langly. Tayrun, sportrtzboy, Corvidae and Kime all switch shortly thereafter. The Magic Box reports that this is the second time a wagon has overtaken Kias, once again out of nowhere in a flash. INANTP rightfully backs away from his joke, and just as earlier when I switched back, the wagon falls apart.

To recap:
    first flash wagon (Goose) Pharezon, Shabooty, Myself, Phyphor, JABMonkey, Corvidae.
    second flash wagon (Langly) INANTP, Tayrun, Sportzboy, Corvidae, Kime.

I don't know if these flashwagons are just villagers sheeping, coincidence, or mafia shenanigans, but both felt really weird at the time. Corvidae seems like the obvious target, but perhaps too obvious.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    I would like to point out that I also backed away from the Langly joke as soon as it became clear that Langly might actually get voted out.

• FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    Either way, somebody came out a little early and ruined the vote records, so let's all pile onto kime.

Remember, if you are a network / seer, don't reveal until the middle of the day. And actually, for this game, if you are revealing that you seer'd somebody as good, come out and ask to be voted. Send your money to the person you seer'd. Then, during the witching hour, give us their name.

That ensures they live until the next day when we know you weren't lying, and also that they have the money to defend themselves during that first day before transfers come in.

edited February 2012
    And actually, for this game, if you are revealing that you seer'd somebody as good, come out and ask to be voted. Send your money to the person you seer'd. Then, during the witching hour, give us their name.

That ensures they live until the next day when we know you weren't lying, and also that they have the money to defend themselves during that first day before transfers come in.

So you're saying people should sacrifice themselves every time they seer anybody as village? :P Hurrah, we've confirmed somebody is good! For the price of voting out somebody who is also good...

Revealing seer results that people are village in the thread doesn't seem very useful to me unless it's an attempt to hit the emergency brake on a bandwagon against an innocent. Better to use those results to approach people privately and start network-building.

Anyway, I think Corvidae (for perhaps too-obvious reasons) and Shabooty (for reasons I already mentioned) are definitely the fishiest of those who rode the flashwagons.

Gaslight on
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    So:

kime.

Did sportzboytjw actually buy a seer on kime, or is this a mafia throwing mafia under the wagon to establish a fake network trick?

Is my paranoia acting up?

Am I a turnip!?

On the balance of it, I think that I am not a turnip, because I have legs.

But corvidae said that his seer bid was outbid, so I guess at least three seer bids were made last night?

One of them could be sportzboytjw. <- most likely?

Intereeessstiiinnnngggg

Paranoid interpretation: Both corvidae and sportzboytjw are both mafia, pulling an elaborate con. If so, well played gents, well played.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    edited February 2012
    So:

kime.

Did sportzboytjw actually buy a seer on kime, or is this a mafia throwing mafia under the wagon to establish a fake network trick?

Am I a turnip!?

On the balance of it, I think that I am not a turnip, because I have legs.

But corvidae said that his seer bid was outbid, so I guess at least three seer bids were made last night?

One of them could be sportzboytjw. <- most likely?

Intereeessstiiinnnngggg

Paranoid interpretation: Both corvidae and sportzboytjw are both mafia, pulling an elaborate con. If so, well played gents, well played.

Given the fact the game seems to be somewhat weighted towards the mafia with the betting mechanics and such (as discussed during all the strategizing yesterday), I wouldn't be surprised if the mafia is somewhat smaller than you'd ordinarily expect for a game of this size. I can't see them intentionally sacrificing one of their own. Hell, it's a huge risk for them to sacrifice one of their own even for a normal-sized mafia.

Gaslight on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I wanted to post for kime in style, but I can't because this forum is broken

KIME!!!!

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    look, i understand your suspicions about me.

i switched my vote several times, i was drinking and bored, and none of the wagons looked good or were entirely understandable to me.

i'm totally village. if you cats want to waste money on vigging me, i tell you it's a waste. i won't bother wasting my money on a gaurd.
    the only reason i got a guard yesterday was because i very publicly stated my intentions on paying for a seer to start up a network, and i didn't want the seering to die with me. well, sportz and at least one other person outbid me (the 2nd was prob mafia, since no one else is coming forward with a second seer claim). unfortunately, my cash goes with me, or i can gamble on who to give it to.

or maybe instead, i can spend it all on a wild vig shot.

corvidae on
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I am the worst gambler. I hope you good gamblers do something nice with my money.

Kime is the worst cop.

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular

If someone else had manage to buy a full seering they would be know the current seering was fake. And they could call out on this. I don't see mafia risking this move with possible so much on the line with yesterdays voting records. (if they turn out to be correct at catching mafia)

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    Kime.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Bad thread! Stop being so active while I'm asleep.
    Seer test on kime.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    warban wrote: »

If someone else had manage to buy a full seering they would be know the current seering was fake. And they could call out on this. I don't see mafia risking this move with possible so much on the line with yesterdays voting records. (if they turn out to be correct at catching mafia)
    Unless the mafia bought the seer.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    corvidae wrote: »
    kime

i was outbid on the seering. so else seered last night?

my dunalist

langley.

Ok, you guys realize that I was the second vote on kias, and that he was mafia, and that the mafia pushed votes onto me in attempt to save him? By voting for him yesterday, I put him in a tie for the lead at two votes. And then I pushed peole privately to vote for him (well not specifically him, but not me, and he was as good as any, being that he wasn't me. I didn't think he was mafia until the vote started swinging around.

I got the dirty cop role, it is true, I am survival neutral. It is a cruel twist of fate given the previous game.

If you think I would claim that silly role as a mafia, you are crazy.

If anything, last night confirms me as not mafia

Langly on
    Sportz the initial claim post you made was unclear. Gaslight isn't being silly.

It just looks like you're making a vote, not a seer claim.

• JABMonkeyJABMonkey Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    I also tried to seer last night and was outbid.

Smoove was who I went for.

Can you tell us any details about your roll? Or like how much money you gain each day or if you can do anything to help the village that we should know about?

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    warban wrote: »

Unless the mafia bought the seer.

This Is a posablity. But sportzboytjw only has simply outed kime. He still shouldn't be trusted outright. I still think the idea of seering a villager, calling them as villager then lynching ones-self is the best and only way to confirm a network head.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited February 2012
    I don't have any abilities. I make 400 a night which I think is more than usuall.

My goal is survival or to make 50k and exit.

So

That's a long climb.

Langly on
    Also I am actually neutral in this game, not just a pretend faction village neutral thing. I will be abiding by that in this game. I told several people in an attempt to not be viciously murdered on day one, but now that it's out there (thanks, dani), it's out there.

I'm here to make money and to not get killed.

Er more than usual

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Langly dodges retribution for being a not-really-neutral cop by being a neutral cop! Oh the craziness.

Anyway, kime.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Oh, and I'm not in favour of a neutral hunt. At least not yet :twisted:

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    So I bet
    Match 1: Brunch Hearththrob $261
    Match 2: El Diablo Robotico $261
    Match 3: El Contador $261

How do you folks think I will do?

Match 1: Brunch Hearththrob $261 (lost)
    Match 2: El Diablo Robotico $261 (tie)
    Match 3: El Contador $261 (win)

I bet $783, my winnings were $1251, for a profit of $468. I figure this info might help folks figure out how people bet last night.
    So far, a shotgun betting approach has been profitable. No clue how ties affected things though.

VayBJ4e.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Langly owes me some knees.

• JABMonkeyJABMonkey Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    Quick notes before work. I bid $2,000 and lost. (Waaay too much to lose.)

I'll throw my Kime vote down now.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    So I bet
    Match 1: Brunch Hearththrob $261
    Match 2: El Diablo Robotico $261
    Match 3: El Contador $261

How do you folks think I will do?

Match 1: Brunch Hearththrob $261 (lost)
    Match 2: El Diablo Robotico $261 (tie)
    Match 3: El Contador $261 (win)

I bet $783, my winnings were $1251, for a profit of $468. I figure this info might help folks figure out how people bet last night.
    So far, a shotgun betting approach has been profitable. No clue how ties affected things though.
    uhh brunch won his match. How did you lose it?

Bedlam wrote: »
    Langly owes me some knees.

Well yeah I lost my shirt in that match too

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    kime

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I bought a seering on Kime. As one of our better/cannier players, I hoped I could out him as a villager/headofnetwork late in the day while asking for you guys to vote me.

Instead, he is a cop and needs to die. I guess I should have let patterns set in and all but I was so brokenhearted :(
    How much did you spend on it?

$3037.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    I would like to point out that I also backed away from the Langly joke as soon as it became clear that Langly might actually get voted out.

Langly actually getting voted would have only made the joke funnier. It would have entered legend.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    I bought a seering on Kime. As one of our better/cannier players, I hoped I could out him as a villager/headofnetwork late in the day while asking for you guys to vote me.

Instead, he is a cop and needs to die. I guess I should have let patterns set in and all but I was so brokenhearted :(
    How much did you spend on it?

$3037.
    We should probably figure out a way to avoid wasting the village's money on this shit, because I lost over $2k because of you.

How much did you bid, and what was your rationale for going so high (both of you)?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    well he bid over 2k

and he went high because obviously other people would be bidding, and he was right. He just didn't go high enough.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    So guys, I know that discussion is good, but remember that the main reason we decided against organizing betting is that it would tell the mafia where the money is concentrated. That would be very very bad for us, as it tells the mafia how to kill the few people that raked in the dough and leaves the rest of the village impotent.

So please, let's not be so revealing with the results of our bets.