As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Dana White confirms that Cruz blew out his ACL:

"It's true Cruz blew his ACL. Stay tuned for more info"

So... we'll get to see all about this on this weeks TUF, right? The joys of the new live format.

I would have to guess so, which makes this weeks episode one for the ages. This season has been excellent.

For me the fights have been very good, and Rousey was cool, but all the rest of the show I find almost unwatchable. The Drama feels so hackneyed, the training sequences lack detail (as they've always done, to be fair) and the Faber - Cruz rivalry seems utterly childish and uninteresting. I skip most of the episodes now, just watching the fights. Which I will reiterate- the fights have been keen.

I wonder if they'll have footage of Cruz hurting himself? That would be pretty cool, I suppose.

To me the fights are the show. I like some of the training stuff and some of the fighter interviews but to me the fights are the only thing to watch. I'd be totally happy if TUF was 30 minutes with a tiny bit of training/recap and then 20 minutes of fighting. However they know lots of people care about the drama which makes them watch the fight.

As for all the stuff with the mililtary what about football/basketball/baseball? I always see ads for military stuff during sporting events. Maybe it's not as in your face as Faber firing a GRENADE LAUNCHER (which was my favorite non-fighting TUF moment of all time) but the military buys advertising space on stuff that it feels can help it get recruits. I'm sure they UFC gets lots of money from the Marines and if they did deny the military advertising space/sponsorships? That would be a public relations NIGHTMARE, far worse than any type of backlash they get internationally.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Dana White confirms that Cruz blew out his ACL:

"It's true Cruz blew his ACL. Stay tuned for more info"

So... we'll get to see all about this on this weeks TUF, right? The joys of the new live format.

I would have to guess so, which makes this weeks episode one for the ages. This season has been excellent.

For me the fights have been very good, and Rousey was cool, but all the rest of the show I find almost unwatchable. The Drama feels so hackneyed, the training sequences lack detail (as they've always done, to be fair) and the Faber - Cruz rivalry seems utterly childish and uninteresting. I skip most of the episodes now, just watching the fights. Which I will reiterate- the fights have been keen.

I wonder if they'll have footage of Cruz hurting himself? That would be pretty cool, I suppose.

To me the fights are the show. I like some of the training stuff and some of the fighter interviews but to me the fights are the only thing to watch. I'd be totally happy if TUF was 30 minutes with a tiny bit of training/recap and then 20 minutes of fighting. However they know lots of people care about the drama which makes them watch the fight.

As for all the stuff with the mililtary what about football/basketball/baseball? I always see ads for military stuff during sporting events. Maybe it's not as in your face as Faber firing a GRENADE LAUNCHER (which was my favorite non-fighting TUF moment of all time) but the military buys advertising space on stuff that it feels can help it get recruits. I'm sure they UFC gets lots of money from the Marines and if they did deny the military advertising space/sponsorships? That would be a public relations NIGHTMARE, far worse than any type of backlash they get internationally.

Ah, MMA is the only sport I watch, so I didn't realize it was the same in the big ones. The only other sport I pay to watch is pro-Starcraft players. ...yeah.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I mostly wait to watch the seasons in a chunk, then I can skip past anything boring

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Let's face it. Dudes wearing lots of Tapout and who yell about training UFC are prime candidates to enter the armed forces.

steam_sig.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/08/ufc-mma-in-ny-not-in-2012-bill-fails-to-pass-23870.html

Dana White and the UFC's anti-union stance causes the bill to fail once again.

In other MMA news,

Brock Lesnar messes up once again, quits the WWE:
    http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/08/brock-lesnar-quits-wwe-on-monday-night-raw-24002.html

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    Oh hey, a UFC fighter gets into a K-1 style fight!

It's UFC favorite Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAWyh6mLi0

B:L wrote: »
    http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/08/ufc-mma-in-ny-not-in-2012-bill-fails-to-pass-23870.html

Dana White and the UFC's anti-union stance causes the bill to fail once again.

In other MMA news,

Brock Lesnar messes up once again, quits the WWE:
    http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/08/brock-lesnar-quits-wwe-on-monday-night-raw-24002.html

You know, I really like BJPenn.com for their MMA reporting, but they need to stop following Lesnar's WWE career. It's obvious they don't know what the word "kayfabe" means.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Let's face it. Dudes wearing lots of Tapout and who yell about training UFC are prime candidates to enter the armed forces.

Yeah I know three ex military guys, all from different groups, who all love to tell me they can land triangle chokes on people and tap people out without ever having wrestled or trained any sort of grappling.
    It always makes me think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Now that's just 3 people and I know a lot of military guys, but I know a lot of guys that really want to be tough and all that so they go law enforcement/military, own lots of guns and talk constantly about how they can kick someone's ass even though they've never trained, chain smoke, eat like shit, drink two cases of MGD every weekend and do nothing except bicep curls and bench for exercise.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I dunno.

If you have a rudimentary knowledge of a triangle choke (or any other not that complicated submissions), you could slap it on someone who also has no grappling experience at all and get something out of it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    Oh hey, a UFC fighter gets into a K-1 style fight!

It's UFC favorite Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAWyh6mLi0

oh my god.

you can see it coming. it's like a pedestrian on a collision course with a double decker bus

but there's just nothing you can do so you watch in shock and awe and bam.

steam_sig.png
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    Marcus Davis how far you fell...

Never liked that guy and his fake "heritage", he is about 1/5th Irish and his name is Welsh yet he swaggered around in a Kilt claiming every place in the EU he fought was his "home". No wonder he always wanted to fight in Boston, feel right at home there.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I dunno.

If you have a rudimentary knowledge of a triangle choke (or any other not that complicated submissions), you could slap it on someone who also has no grappling experience at all and get something out of it.

Also are you 100% sure they haven't been trained? My best friend trained as an MP and they did learn some BJJ.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    I thought US military did BJJ / MMA for ages now? They have always been pretty up-to-date on training, I remember meeting Paul Vunak and he was essentially "drafted" to train the SEALS back in the early 90's when JKD was the shit.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    I thought US military did BJJ / MMA for ages now? They have always been pretty up-to-date on training, I remember meeting Paul Vunak and he was essentially "drafted" to train the SEALS back in the early 90's when JKD was the shit.

I can't speak from personal experience (can't pass medical muster, due to birth defect), but I've got tons of family in the military (Army and Marines), and yes the US forces rotate/tweak their CQC training as new things are found to be useful.

The Marines are especially on the forefront, they change up their hand-to-hand slate every 3-4 years, adapting and adding things that people have found effective in the field. They've been doing stuff based on Krav Maga since at least the mid-80's and BJJ has steadily been trickling in over the last 10 years or so.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    If someone who was ex-military said they could choke you out, I'm not sure why you would disagree with them. They are trained to be able to hurt other people. Choking is sometimes part of the hurt process.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Meh....the vast majority of Armed forces don't' get much in the way of h2h training. It's just not overly useful for most soldiers.

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    I know that currently all soldiers (Army) receive a few classes in Combatives (which is largely based around BJJ and ground fighting) during basic training, and also that continuing Combatives courses are pretty popular in the service, especially if you are in Combat Arms (any of the various positions likely to see direct fighting).

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I think the main reason you should never argue with someone as to whether they could choke you out is that you're not in high school anymore.

Yeah, they're certainly likely to be knowledgeable than the average dude you're going to be running into, but most soldiers don't get very much time in the training

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Army_Combatives#Modern_Army_Combatives

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    That's got to be tough.

In America and about to fight on TV around the country, but you're alone and don't speak english and fuuuuuck

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Meh....the vast majority of Armed forces don't' get much in the way of h2h training. It's just not overly useful for most soldiers.

This yeah. I know a few ex-rangers who really know a great deal of hand to hand, this couple guys I mentioned definitely don't.
    815165 wrote: »
    I think the main reason you should never argue with someone as to whether they could choke you out is that you're not in high school anymore.

Who said I argued with them? I just get annoyed constantly hearing about how they know all about this sort of thing when I'm busting my ass to learn. It's obnoxious when you have someone going on about how they're an expert on something they've never studied when you're hitting the books every day, they aren't worth arguing with but it still gets on your nerves.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    around 18 months ago my sister's boyfriend (at the time) was gassing himself up on the army combatives he was learning and shitting on how unless you're learning it in the military you're basically a soccer mom being paid to do tai chi.

so we moved the coffee table and a few seconds later he was in an arm triangle (also he was in dream land)

good times

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah, they're certainly likely to be knowledgeable than the average dude you're going to be running into, but most soldiers don't get very much time in the training

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Army_Combatives#Modern_Army_Combatives

You also tend to wrestle/roll around in dorms/barracks. I wrestled in high school and had to (well, maybe didn't HAVE TO) wrestle a drunk dude who was hassling my skinny roommate. It was fun. Sleeper holds/triangles are not uncommon in those situations; let's face it, putting those on is pretty basic, even if putting them on perfectly is for an expert practitioner.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular

This yeah. I know a few ex-rangers who really know a great deal of hand to hand, this couple guys I mentioned definitely don't.

Who said I argued with them? I just get annoyed constantly hearing about how they know all about this sort of thing when I'm busting my ass to learn. It's obnoxious when you have someone going on about how they're an expert on something they've never studied when you're hitting the books every day, they aren't worth arguing with but it still gets on your nerves.

Why didn't you just have them go roll around with you. Either you're surprised that they are able to keep up, or they maybe back off their obnoxiousness.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)

Tell me about it. 8->

Organichu wrote: »
    around 18 months ago my sister's boyfriend (at the time) was gassing himself up on the army combatives he was learning and shitting on how unless you're learning it in the military you're basically a soccer mom being paid to do tai chi.

so we moved the coffee table and a few seconds later he was in an arm triangle (also he was in dream land)

good times

Yeah it's that kinda thing, just annoys me, you meet blackbelts and such that are so humble about it, and you learn real quick that there's monsters out there, then someone has ten hours training and tells you they're an expert. Just annoys the shit out of me. Also, today was one of the most fun days of training I've ever had. Had an epic roll where I was getting my ass kicked and landed a really really sweet armbar from guard twenty minutes or so in. I love my gym, great crew there.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    bullying people gives me a boner

Why didn't you just have them go roll around with you. Either you're surprised that they are able to keep up, or they maybe back off their obnoxiousness.

I've definitely though about it but I worry a bit that they won't tap to something and get injured or they do manage to get ahold of something and they crank it. Just not worth it, I just kinda let them talk about how amazing they are and nod a lot then go home and bitch about it for a few and forget about it.

I choked a friend out when drunken playfighting about 9 years ago...

Scary shit and now, unless it's in a gym or a fight I have no desire to show off.

Venkman90 wrote: »
    I choked a friend out when drunken playfighting about 9 years ago...

Scary shit and now, unless it's in a gym or a fight I have no desire to show off.

Yeah it's different when people regularly train and all. They know to tap, they know to slowly add pressure on joint locks, all of that. The guys that make me the most nervous in the gym are the fresh white belts, I'm far more likely to get hurt by one of them spazzing out then I am by someone with a lot of experience. ((Unless the guy with the experience is a complete jagoff and no one's given me the heads up to avoid em yet.))

• Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    I've been watching a lot of ADCC vids on YouTube the past week.

Can't wait to get back in the gym!

Yeah

Although I'm smirking pretty hard at his in-depth knowledge of testosterone rules

Guys, Joe Rogan tweeted that Chael Sonnen will be on his podcast this coming Monday.

I am beyond excited.

B.J. Penn beat Diego Sanchez in Dec '09 to defend his lightweight title.

After that, Edgar beat him. Every match since then has been a rematch or has lead to a rematch.

By the time Nate Diaz gets his title shot (if he still does), it will likely have been about 3 years since a lightweight title fight wasn't a rematch or didn't lead to one. Even then, I guess it possibly could still lead to a rematch in the future.

What a crazy title picture.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Anthony Pettis will die of old age before he gets a shot.

He is the anti-Faber.

edited May 2012
    Anthony Pettis will die of old age before he gets a shot.

He is the anti-Faber.

Nothing bugs me more than when the UFC try and "make people happen" as it were, feed them high profile fights and title shots in an effort to get them a belt and profile. Even more so when it's a dickhead like Faber.

Venkman90 on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I really liked Faber right up until this TUF. Now he's shown too much of his jerk did side. Before, he was perfectly marketed and we didn't know his personality aside from the fact that he was a fun loving, hard fighting, little California Kid. Now he's just kinda a dick.

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.