As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Is that fucking grease on the top of Frankie's head?

it's legal cause he's from jersey

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Great fucking fight.

I don't care who wins.

We should have tag team champs. Can they be the tag team champs?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm real nervous about this score.

Shoot man, even if Frankie loses this one, just the fact that it can be this close with a talented dude who's THAT much bigger than him is amazing

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    That was awesome.

Won't be mad if Bendo wins.

He totally earned it

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Despite Rogan's shouting that Benson won for doing more damage (after he shouted for Shields winning for landing more shots), I believe Edgar took this via aggression and control. He scored the takedowns, the high volume of hits, and he caught a world record of kicks.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Called it, nerds.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    henderson in a close one.

That was greese on his damn head. I aint saying cheating but the refs were all up in that corner the whole match barking orders. Seemed like a big glob.

edit: go bendo. well deserved.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Not a bad decision

• Options
    i refuse to call him benson
    he is ben

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Also, think of it this way:

Edgar vs Aldo

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    If he didn't get that last takedown, maybe Frankie could've won that last round

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Also, think of it this way:

Edgar vs Aldo

I was thinking this the other night.

This better happen

• Options
    edited February 2012
    On the other hand this probably means we now get to see Edgar vs. Aldo

So at least there's that

EDIT: Beat to it

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Not a bad decision
    That's a silly statement, it wouldn't have been a bad decision either way. :P

In fact it could've been a draw for an INSTANT REMATCH

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Eye looks terrible.

He;s a mess.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    B:L wrote: »
    Not a bad decision

Poor Frankie, had to do back to back INSTANT REMATCHES and he probably wont get one for his close decision loss.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Not a bad decision

Poor Frankie, had to do back to back INSTANT REMATCHES and he probably wont get one for his close decision loss.
    That would be for the best... for Edgar's face.

If Edgar was Benson's size, you can be sure that Benson's face would have been fucked up way worse and the results would be much different. Given how easily Edgar's wrestling took Bendo down, I think Maynard would have a pretty good chance at grinding Bendo out.

Except of course the next match is the UNINSTANT REMATCH between Bendo and Pettis.

B:L on
  • Options
    Not a bad decision

If Edgar was Benson's size, you can be sure that Benson's face would have been fucked up way worse and the results would be much different. Given how easily Edgar's wrestling took Bendo down, I think Maynard would have a pretty good chance at grinding Bendo out.

Except of course the next match is the UNINSTANT REMATCH between Bendo and Pettis.

Maynard vs Bendo could be a pretty interesting fight

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Not a bad decision

Maynard vs Bendo could be a pretty interesting fight
    I doubt it. I don't think Maynard could take him down that much more successfully than Frankie could and his standup is worse.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    are there more akiyama grease rumors going around?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    time for BJ to change his mind about retirement and come at bendo

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    I somehow doubt BJ is going to pull a Couture vs Sylvia here.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I think BJ has been beat up by bigger fighters about as many times as he wants to

• Options
    in the press conference Rampage is saying he hurt his knee in training, his doctor had recommended not fighting but Rampage decided to stay in but couldn't really train much, and then during Bader's takedown of Rampage he hurt it again, which I assume is why Rampage took such a long time to get up.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Press Conference Highlights

confbanner.jpg

-Gomi was fired up and very happy.
    -Dana basically said Pettis gets the next title shot.
    -Frankie was pissed he lost the decision. He was also pissed he probably will not get an INSTANT REMATCH.
    -Frankie shot down any ideas of going to 145.
    -Mizugaki got his win bonus because Dana adamantly defended his performance and said he won the fight.
    -Dana said Mark Hunt is in the title "mix"
    -Mark Hunt caught Dana after his fight and asked to fight next week on the Austrailia card.
    -Rampage hurt his knee in training camp and that's why his cardio was terrible and he came in over weight.
    -Rampage's doctor told him that he should not fight.
    -Rampage is not retiring.
    -Bendo was very gracious and didn't want to hold the belt during the conference. He was all smiles.
    -Bendo said he would be happy to fight Frankie again, or Pettis. He wants to fight everybody.
    -Dana would not say Akiyama was cut.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    ghU1U.jpg
    Japanese Translator, @the_mizutama shows a photo of her rainbow afro pen with this message: "Let me introduce my partner, Fluffy."

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    A pretty good card, also came out ahead on my betting. Not by much, bet a total of 300SEK/$45 on 4 fights. Got two of them right (Hunt you big lovely badass, and Bader) and got out with 442SEK/$67

The big loss was a low odds bet on Edgar that didn't work out, but oh well, I'm not disagreeing with the decision.

I'm interested by that guy who beat Kid, that was some slick jits. Too bad Akiyama is so bad at striking and (I guess never seen him do it) BJJ or he would be very dangerous with that strength and those beautiful throws. Of course the cheating put a damper on his whole performance.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    Think of it this way, Sparv:

Akiyama has now been outstruck by Jake Shields and submitted by Chris Leben.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, those are some good reasons for a cut all right

But the throws were so slick

Kablow, on your back

Sparvy on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Think of it this way, Sparv:

Akiyama has now been outstruck by Jake Shields and submitted by Chris Leben.

Yeah... thats a rough way of putting it.

The throws though. So nice.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ben won pretty much every round in my eyes, minus maybe one. I'm glad the judges finally agree with me.

I predicted he'd win the fight too, just not this clearly. He's usually more sloppy but tonight he was cold as ice. His knees and kicks were vicious and Frankie had few answers for them. Awesome, I always thought the sky was the limit for Bendo. He's a fun fight matchup with ANYONE in the entire division. Good times! The prospect of getting to see Pettis after his win last night vs Bendo again is fantastic. Their previous fight was incredible and I can't wait for them to match up again. :^:

Shields/Akiyama was a frustrating affair. Throughout the fight Shields kept throwing the worst strikes ever and Akiyama just stood there. At first you got the impression Akiyama had everything under control, he looked so poised. Then towards the last round you realized that he had done almost nothing and he just kept doing nothing until he lost. Shields looked far from great but I like the guy despite his recent fights and I was happy to see him bounce back from his last loss.

Also SO HAPPY to see Mark God Damn Hunt keep winning in the UFC. He made me so much money it's stupid

Rampage looked awful as expected after the news yesterday. He looked fat and bloated and as usual he was tentative and barely did anything. Injury or not, his skillset has deteriorated severely over the years and it's frustrating to watch. He's now a counterstriker that never gets to counterstrike anymore. At least we got a slam, right?

Okami and Boetsch was pretty crazy. We finally see an aggressive Okami with laser accurate striking busting up the barbarian really nicely and then Boetsch puts everything on the line in the last round and destroys Okami out of nowhere. Awesome comeback and totally unexpected.

Overall a superb card. Watch the prelims if you missed them for some reason, they were great.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Fantastic card last night. I don't agree with the decision, I had the fight 3-2 Frankie, but I could see 3-2 Bendo as well. The 4-1 that two of the judges gave is bullshit though. Almost every fight on both the prelims and main card was great, except for Akiyama/Shields and Rampage/Bader, but luckily they were surrounded by good fights.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    WEC NEVER DIE

• Options
    Neli wrote: »
    I predicted he'd win the fight too, just not this clearly. He's usually more sloppy but tonight he was cold as ice. His knees and kicks were vicious and Frankie had few answers for them.

Few answers...except for catching almost every single kick and countering. The only issue was the size difference as an equally sized Edgar would've pummeled the shit out of Bendo after each catch, plus would've been able to hang on to him after every takedown instead of being shrugged off. Even Compustrike gave Edgar the advantage in total strikes.

I think you're the only one who's said that this fight wasn't close. 8->

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Oh yeah he caught kicks... after they had dealt the damage. And when he "countered" (whiffed air most of the time) Bendo countered right back.

Bendo outstruck Frankie (amount), did more damage, had the octagon control and whatever other criteria there is for a winner to be considered a winner. The only thing Edgar had an edge in was takedowns, but they never amounted to anything and Bendo defended more takedowns than Frankie succeeded with and threatened with subs at least twice

To me, it was a clear and well deserved win.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    Bendo outstruck Frankie (amount)

Compustrike:
    124-114
    Edgar-Bendo

Edgar 44-31 edge on power strikes

Edgar 7-2 takedowns

Tell me how you felt about the Shields-Akiyama fight when Akiyama did more damage. 8->

• Options
    edited February 2012
    http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/02/henderson-vs-edgar-official-ufc.html

Numbers! Bendo outstruck Edgar everywhere except leg kicks. Even if we disregard these numbers even your compustrike (terrible) link says Bendo threw the more effective strikes

6525mx.jpg

I'm surprised you're even disputing the fight, you're usually pretty keen on calling the action.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    I'm surprised you're even disputing the fight, you're usually pretty keen on calling the action.

I'm not disputing the fight, I'm disputing the call that there was a CLEAR winner. It all comes down to judging criteria and that's all over the place.

When even Fightmetric and Compustrike disagree (even on numbers!), and Dana White admits that the decision will be controversial no matter what, there is obviously not a clear cut winner.

I'd frankly give it to Edgar only because he was the superior striker and grappler despite his size disadvantage. Giving the decision based on damage is kinda sending the wrong message, as it actively punishes the fighter who cuts less weight or fights at their natural weight, as if they're not punished in the fight for that already.

I'm impressed as hell that Edgar managed to drop Bendo.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I think the fact that Fightmetric and Compustrike had a (fairly) significant difference in their stats shows that they are not a reliable source for judging a fight. Just based on my own observation, I saw Franky land more strikes and more takedowns. Bendo did more damage but Franky always looks beat up after a fight due to the weight difference. It was definitely a close fight and I could see either a 48-47 Frankie or 48-47 Bendo decision.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    To be fair, some fighters bruise more easily than others. Look at BJ penn, he barely received any (visible) damage at all during his stint at LW while he delivered some brutal faceburgering to guys much larger than him. Edgar is the smaller guy there and that is impressive but it's not something which should matter as far as judging criteria goes... He chose LW as his division and should of course not be favoured because he's small. If all Bendo had was size on Edgar then he would have ended up as Maynard or Sherk or any number of other opponents to Edgar, but instead he took the fight to Edgar and won.

In my eyes Ben won 3 of the 5 rounds so it was "close" but not close to where I'd ever say Edgar won the fight.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.