As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I saw the Stars in my cereal this morning [SPACE](NSF ALIENS and 56K)

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I really want to get into particle physics, etc. and can't wait to see what the LHC does at full power.

• AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    Apocalyptic strange matter reaction, DUH.

Beemo_Controller.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I really want to get into particle physics, etc. and can't wait to see what the LHC does at full power.

magic

NS6hV.jpg

The external camera on the ISS is probably the best thing right now.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

my butt

its the only man-made creation that will plug me up completely

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So I recently moved back in with my parents. Went from pretty much inner city with lots of light pollution to outer suburbs with much much less and I'm loving watching the sky at night after all the lights in the neighborhood go out.

Anyway I just went out, and man

Betelgeuse is putting on a damn show. It's pulsing and flashing like crazy. Almost like a little cloud cover is flowing over it, but it's perfectly clear tonight and all the other stars close by are clear as a bell.

I just watched it for like 20 minutes convinced it was going to pop at any second.

If I go to bed right now and find out it went Nova while I was asleep I'm gonna be pissed.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    or maybe I'm just imagining it.
    Also Mars is really pretty tonight.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    You'd know if it went nova during the night. Because it would still be visible during the following day when you woke up.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    when what would eventually become the crab nebula went nova in 1054, it was apparently the brightest thing in the night sky and visible during the day for weeks

Beasteh on
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You'd know if it went nova during the night. Because it would still be visible during the following day when you woke up.

yeah yeah I know

I've heard that it'll be the brightness and size of the full moon for a month

I just want to see it happen.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    NS6hV.jpg

Part of me thinks this is awesome

But another part of me has tremendous vertigo

Normally I don't have a huge problem with photos of Earth from space but I guess there's a sweet spot, not too far down and not too far up, where my fear of heights kicks in

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

yeah yeah I know

I kinda want a reasonably big meteor to hit the earth. Or hit Mars or something.

I'm getting tired of computer simulations and artists impressions. When was the last time you saw an astronomy documentary that had nothing but real, captured footage of events?

I wanna send HD cameras to Mars just to drive around. How much would that cost, really? Why hasn't it been funded by some film studios?

You know, instead of making another Transformers movie for 300 million dollars, spend that on a little rover with just camera equipment and send it to the moon.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

yeah yeah I know

I kinda want a reasonably big meteor to hit the earth. Or hit Mars or something.

I'm getting tired of computer simulations and artists impressions. When was the last time you saw an astronomy documentary that had nothing but real, captured footage of events?

I wanna send HD cameras to Mars just to drive around. How much would that cost, really? Why hasn't it been funded by some film studios?

You know, instead of making another Transformers movie for 300 million dollars, spend that on a little rover with just camera equipment and send it to the moon.

I don't think 300 million would even begin to cover the cost of sendinga Rover to Mars

But I do think that would be cool, yeah

yeah yeah I know

About a year ago, I woke up in the middle of the night needing to pee

"The toilet's for jerks" I thought, so I went outside to pee on the grass.

And just as I looked up, I saw a massive flash and streak as a meteorite flared though the atmosphere. Like, a ball of light an inch across with a crazy tail burning through the sky for a full second before it disappeared.

I even heard it.

That was more impressive than basically any movie I've ever seen.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Where's the crazy history channel guy

IS IT POSSIBLE

YES IT IS

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love that crazy dude

I mean he gives historians an awful name

but I still love him

edited February 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMRLxyewn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajfFtu_QPA

I vividly remember seeing a green meteor at night when I was a lot younger. It scared me till I realized it was burning up in the atmosphere and was probably a rock. I also assume they're likely turning green for the same reason the poles do (electromagnetic energy reacting to the meteor's composition) and it's somewhat hilarious that they've been labeled possibly Russians or aliens in the past.

Xehalus on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Olivaw wrote:
    NS6hV.jpg

Normally I don't have a huge problem with photos of Earth from space but I guess there's a sweet spot, not too far down and not too far up, where my fear of heights kicks in

Those clouds kind of look like trees on a field

edit: does anyone have Universe Sandbox? It's kind of fun to play with, having galaxies crash into each other or seeing what an asteroid flying by Saturn would do to it's rings. What about Space Engine? It's pretty cool being able to fly to all our nearest stars and seeing the scale of everything. It's also freaky being able to just fly out of the Earth's atmosphere and see everything drop away from you while you float in the void. Gives me vertigo like whoa, like I stepped off a ledge and there's nothing beneath me.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote:
    NS6hV.jpg

Those clouds kind of look like trees on a field

edit: does anyone have Universe Sandbox? It's kind of fun to play with, having galaxies crash into each other or seeing what an asteroid flying by Saturn would do to it's rings. What about Space Engine? It's pretty cool being able to fly to all our nearest stars and seeing the scale of everything. It's also freaky being able to just fly out of the Earth's atmosphere and see everything drop away from you while you float in the void. Gives me vertigo like whoa, like I stepped off a ledge and there's nothing beneath me.

I'm downloading both of those now. You may have just done a very bad thing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    remember when lots of people thought they had faulty data and the science team was all "NO WAY MAN WE DID IT"

turns out einstein was still right and nerds can cry themselves to sleep again because ftl travel will never happen

Good strategy: always ignore claims of FTL anything.

The day you start reading stories that it's been thoroughly confirmed at multiple labs and everyone's getting on board, then pay attention.

Best bet is that day will never come.

Beemo_Controller.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    remember when lots of people thought they had faulty data and the science team was all "NO WAY MAN WE DID IT"

turns out einstein was still right and nerds can cry themselves to sleep again because ftl travel will never happen

That's not really a fair representation of the OPERA lab's position on this. They never asserted that they had proven ftl neutrinos. They were simply claiming that no one had explained the phenomenon satisfactorily yet, and were inviting other physicists to figure out what happened. Then they realized that there was a bad connection, which now throws the data into doubt.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    All my hopes and dreams are constantly destroyed. Well, at least we can sip tea in space now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycp7uFnEI_o

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    the thing with jupiter and venus and the moon was pretty neat

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

That's not really a fair representation of the OPERA lab's position on this. They never asserted that they had proven ftl neutrinos. They were simply claiming that no one had explained the phenomenon satisfactorily yet, and were inviting other physicists to figure out what happened. Then they realized that there was a bad connection, which now throws the data into doubt.

Yeah, I remember some of the team basically saying "We can't find what's wrong help us out science bros."

The soft science journals on the other hand..

zkHcp.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Gawker Science Daily
    most science reporting

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So I recently moved back in with my parents. Went from pretty much inner city with lots of light pollution to outer suburbs with much much less and I'm loving watching the sky at night after all the lights in the neighborhood go out.

Anyway I just went out, and man

Betelgeuse is putting on a damn show. It's pulsing and flashing like crazy. Almost like a little cloud cover is flowing over it, but it's perfectly clear tonight and all the other stars close by are clear as a bell.

I just watched it for like 20 minutes convinced it was going to pop at any second.

If I go to bed right now and find out it went Nova while I was asleep I'm gonna be pissed.

I was watching it a few hours before you, and I thought it was having a pretty pulsetastic night last night while I was out looking for meteors and satellites. So I don't think it was just you.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I saw somebody mentioning about wishing there was a better camera on Mars.

Back in November we launched a rover the size of a car.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/11/msl-launched/

BEHOLD THIS BEHEMOTH OF SCIENCE!
    Mars_Science_Laboratory_wheels.jpg

The lander, this August, will fire rockets during descent in order to hover above the surface and lower the rover to the ground. No parachute balloon landing. This thing is too big for that.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    The lander, this August, will fire rockets during descent in order to hover above the surface and lower the rover to the ground. No parachute balloon landing. This thing is too big for that.

Too big, or just too awesome?

broken image link
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The night sky is possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, barring certain human females

On a clear night, away from city lights, jesus christ
    it's astounding

• Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular

This is fantastic, thank you for posting it.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular

Yeah, fuck nerds. Real men post on internet message boards.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Look they really should have known better than to assume that one of the core tenets of modern physics had been broken

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Look they really should have known better than to assume that one of the core tenets of modern physics had been broken

I think most people just thought "hey, this is really interesting and/or cool if it's true" and now that it's proven not true, they'll just say "oh well" and move on. There's nothing wrong with hoping that something new and groundbreaking can come of science.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Now I want space cereal.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
This discussion has been closed.