As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The problem with sticking a heavy weapon on a commander is you're paying a premium for stats that won't get used. There's no reason you have 3 attacks and WS 5 on a character that's going to sit buried in a squad never getting into assault. Conversley, if they buffed their BS so they're crack shots with their heavy weapon, you're paying for a huge ballistic skill that will only affect a bolt pistol or storm bolter most of the time if you kit them for assault.

Vampire Counts have the same issue. Vampire Lords have stats most other armies combat lords would kill for, but they are also potentially the armies highest level caster. Putting them at level 4 magic means you're not using those monstrous assault stats, but not upgrading their caster level means you're throwing away your highest level caster.

I suppose they could do 3 different types of captain stats all for the same cost, like a devastator captain that can take heavy weapons, with higher BS, lower WS, maybe another wound, an assault company captain with WS 6, BS 4 and one more attack and one higher initiative, and a battle company captain with the current stats. But then shit starts getting complicated.

-Loki- on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    ASHER'S LIST

This sounds like an awesome fun army, almost makes me want to built one! if only chaos marines could have land speeders :(
    I feel as if this is how SM should be played

I loooove land speeder storm's as well, I saw a conversion on dakkadakka where the guy had just stretched the troop pan around an inch and it looked fantastic

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Vassal guys had best be taking screenshots for battle report goodness

Slaanesh knows I'm not taking screenshots. I'm getting my ass kicked.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I got screen shots but it will have to wait on sleep. Extreme just got really unlucky.

Deathwing vs Slaanesh marines with defilers. We called it after 5 turns, 6-2 kill points.

Although until the bottom of turn 5 he was still in the game. I got 3 kill points in one turn.
    Battle Report tomorrow.

DO3O00C.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Vassal is fun. you can try all sorts of crazy shit out without having to worry about models. Also when no one else is available to play 40k with you at the wee hours of night.

makosig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey look, it took this guy all of one day to totally ruin a Tyrannofex!

I can see what he was trying to do (remove the 2 outside rows of chimneys on the back), but this is one hideously ruined model.
    IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg
    IMG_4343.jpg

-Loki- on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Pure Genius right there.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    My thunderwolves have come in the mail. <3

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    seriously, these new wolves really highlight how terrible Canis Wolfborn is.

I denied it before, but it really really is a thundercow.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Vassal is fun. you can try all sorts of crazy shit out without having to worry about models. Also when no one else is available to play 40k with you at the wee hours of night.

There shall be Vassal when my computer gets here. Unless an iphone can run it.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Every time I see pics of the Tervigon/Tyrannofex kit I can't help but think they've got the spiky legs in the wrong sockets. Those sort of legs look alright on the Heirophant because they come over and in front of his head, but here it just looks like the whole thing is gonna pitch forwards. I'd probably just stick those in the front sockets and then use the middle ones for weapons.

Don't really like the Tyrannofex holding the gun like that either, would look better if it was integrated into the torso I think.

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    How easy is it to assemble?

It really isn't hard to assemble at all.

E26cO.jpg
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I get to play 40k tomorrow and I am so stoked

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The guy I play 40k with the most has to move back home because he's buried in dept :C

Now I have to travel far and wide to find a new killing field.

website_header.jpg
    Jumping right back in. Havent played a standard game of 40k for months and I'm starting tourney prep tomorrow :P

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    The guy I play 40k with the most has to move back home because he's buried in dept :C

Now I have to travel far and wide to find a new killing field.

Well I jsut play my brother and freind some of the people around here are really asses about playing
    It's a game it's supposed to be fun!

But we have not played at all since the Summer

• altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Haha.

I'm taking a couple different lists against Nax tomorrow. One is my recent tourney winner and the other is a fun list containing none other than:

Nax no looky:
    Ragnar, a shit ton of bloodclaws and lukas, an iron priest, swiftclaws bikers, lone wolf terminator duder and a biker priest to go with my swiftclaws. Totally not an optimal list but i never get to use that shit.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    Totally looked. If its not double spoiler'd, its meant to be seen. Besides, you already know BOTH of my list variants.

Fucking Ragnar....

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    We need another vassal league, right now.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited March 2012
    I just figured out a space wolf list with 120 models.

Six squads of Blood Claws. 15 strong. 2 squads of fenrisian wolves 15 strong and a single wolfguard battle leader.

OMG, with saga of the wolfkin on my battle leader, I can get Initiative 5 wolves at LD7 and put them in front of my blood claws and with counter-attack they're going first most of the time even when getting charged. . This is getting more hilarious as I go on.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    I just figured out a space wolf list with 120 models.

Six squads of Blood Claws. 15 strong. 2 squads of fenrisian wolves 15 strong and a single wolfguard battle leader.

OMG, with saga of the wolfkin on my battle leader, I can get Initiative 5 wolves at LD7 and put them in front of my blood claws and with counter-attack they're going first most of the time even when getting charged. . This is getting more hilarious as I go on.

The sad thing is that might actually win games, simply because no one (chimera-spam excluded) is equipped to deal with 90 jump pack marines + random wolves.

So, something like this:
    ZOMG BLOOD CLAWS (1997pts)
    2000pt Space Wolves 5th Ed (2009) Roster (Standard)

Selections:

* HQ (113pts)

* Wolf Guard Battle Leader (113pts) 
            Frost Blade (25pts), Power Armour, Saga of the Wolfkin (15pts), Storm Bolter (3pts)

* Elites (190pts)

* Wolf Guard Pack (190pts) 
            * Wolf Guard (38pts) 
                Bolt Pistol, Power Armour, Power Fist (20pts)
            * Wolf Guard (38pts) 
            * Wolf Guard (38pts) 
            * Wolf Guard (38pts) 
            * Wolf Guard (38pts) 

* Troops (1470pts)

* Blood Claws Pack (245pts) 
            15x Blood Claw (225pts), Meltagun (5pts), Meltagun, Power Weapon (15pts)

* Fast Attack (224pts)

* Fenrisian Wolf Pack (112pts) 
            14x Fenrisian Wolf (112pts)

* Fenrisian Wolf Pack (112pts) 
            14x Fenrisian Wolf (112pts)

Created with BattleScribe

Light on anti-tank but who cares. Run forward, punch things to death.

Do those type of Bloodclaws have jump packs?

No. I think he mis-spoke. My 1850 list forewent the wolfguard but that might be a nice thing to have for LD reasons. But still, you've got 2 meltaguns and a fist in each squad. SHOULD be enough to deal with most things except maybe Paladins but you can simply weight of fire them to death in that case...

Interesting list. I may have to try it sometime, but I don't have that many painted space wolves!

signature.png
    altmann wrote: »
    No. I think he mis-spoke. My 1850 list forewent the wolfguard but that might be a nice thing to have for LD reasons. But still, you've got 2 meltaguns and a fist in each squad. SHOULD be enough to deal with most things except maybe Paladins but you can simply weight of fire them to death in that case...

The problem is you have no mobility and no long-range fire support. Chimera/Venom/Razorback spam just sit back and shoot the crap out of you before you get into melta/charge range.

It'd probably be weirdly fun to play, though.

with 16 man squads, you're move/running forward. you need to lose 4 models a turn on turn 1 to even take a LD test. You have 5 other squads around you and with the wolves everyone should have a 4+ save from cover.

It would be very interesting to play. Hardly optimized but interesting.

signature.png
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Hulksmash just won Darkstar GT with 50 strike marines. Doesn't sound that far-fetched to me.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Hulksmash just won Darkstar GT with 50 strike marines. Doesn't sound that far-fetched to me.

A lot of people underestimate how good these lists can be. They don't seem very inspired, or fun to play...but "Half a Company" is pretty damn effective.

It's almost like orks with a 3+ save and BS4!

signature.png
    Pretty much. I considered trying it with BT but their marines are too expensive without frag/Krak

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Transports are for babies.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator

You only get to have ONE armor encasement between you and fearsome enemies if you want to be a man.

saluksic wrote: »

You only get to have ONE armor encasement between you and fearsome enemies if you want to be a man.

i lol'd

edited March 2012
    main issue with bloodclaws (aside from WS/BS3!!) is they don't have bolters... so no rapid firing. I also forgot you NEED a wolfguard with them to make them un-useless with melta (they have to charge if within charge range and cannot fire weapons).

altmann on

signature.png
    There is nothing wrong with bloodclaws at all you take that back.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So had another Apoc game today, and now I have to add another stompa to the list of kill markers to get painted on my vendettas. Though this time it took all three of them and a Blood raven with a melta gun (he took off the first structure point), last time one vendetta blew it up with a single lascannon shot.

Though in hindsight, 40K points on 2 6x4 tables was a bad idea, especialy for a game with a stompa, a hellhammer, and three baneblades involved.

Ogotai on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I played a team game today. I had 1000 points of my Iron Fists and allied with 1000 points of Black Templars against two 1000 point Blood Angels teams. My one bike squad got wiped out before it did anything at all. I missed with every single melta shot in that squad.

Oh, I had a captain on foot with plasma pistol, power fist and artificer armor, two 10 man tac squads with missile launcher and plasma gun, a bike squad with two meltas, attack bike with multi-melta and I think 4 other bikes. Nothing special on the sergeant. I had a dread with asscan and heavy flamer and a large scout squad with 4 sniper rifles, heavy bolter, and bolters for everyone else. right now, I'm just playing with my old painted stuff. (I don't think I'm stripping these guys. I like them too much,a nd it's part of my past, so there's that.) I couldn't even begin to tell you what was in the other armies, but we faced 4 land raiders with various things inside like Mephiston, a squad of terminators, and some small troop choices.

We popped two of the land raiders, the termies, and had Mephiston down to 2 wounds by turn three, then sat there whiffing for two more turns. We played an Adepticon tournament mission from 2010 that had a weird triangular deployment zone and we had to have two troops (one from each allied player) in each tabkle quarter to take that objective, and score. When it ended we had no table quarters and they had 1. We would have had one, but one of the opposing players made sure to destroy that last BT tac sqaud in the quarter I deployed in.

That makes three games I've lost now due to objectives. I need to pay more attention to them.

Oh, and I'm playing again tomorrow. At this rate, I'll never get the new army modelled up.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    We need another vassal league, right now.

Get on it, then!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh man I just saw the forgeworld hallway battle square things. That is something I've wanted for a long time. I'm kinda suprised they aren't that exspensive either.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I just found out today there is a librarian in terminator armor from Space Hulk. I look it up online, and BAM. That's the terminator librarian model I would want to paint and include in my armor. The other one just looks fat. But ther's one right now on eBay and it is running $33 before shipping. Ehhh....

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I just found out today there is a librarian in terminator armor from Space Hulk. I look it up online, and BAM. That's the terminator librarian model I would want to paint and include in my armor. The other one just looks fat. But ther's one right now on eBay and it is running $33 before shipping. Ehhh....

$33 for that is actually a really good deal.

Not sure if that particular model is particularly bad but a lot of the Space Hulk models were pretty heavy on Blood Angels iconography pre-sculpted; might want to look at a review before you drop the cash.

This discussion has been closed.