As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    Another Blood Angel question. The Death Company can take a Death Company Dreadnought for every five Death Company dudes. Does this Dreadnought take up a Troops Slot or is it 'free' ?

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    This still doesn't explain why that book goes for so much.

makosig.jpg
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Another Blood Angel question. The Death Company can take a Death Company Dreadnought for every five Death Company dudes. Does this Dreadnought take up a Troops Slot or is it 'free' ?

Takes up a troops slot. Nothing says it's free so it isn't.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @Valhalla130, get online this instant or I will go buy that book myself!

Sorry. I've spent the last hour and a half trying to set up my dad's new wireless printer and failing miserably. His computer is already a fucking piece of shit because of all the crap he's downloaded...

Whaaaaaaaaaa-huuuuuuuuhhhhhhh.....

Sorry. let me breathe for a minute.

Okay.

I wish I had been able to jump on that because the cheapest used one is like $28.82 now.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Sorry. I've spent the last hour and ahalf trying to set up my dad's new wireless printer and failing miserably. His computer is already a fucking piece of shit because of all the crap he's downloaded...

Whaaaaaaaaaa-huuuuuuuuhhhhhhh.....

Sorry. let me breathe for a minute.

Okay.

I wish I had been able to jump on that because the cheapest used one is like $28.82 now.

Funny, I work in a used book store these days...we have a copy of that (and many other 40k books at my behest to the owner) for like $4. I'll see if it's still there tomorrow...I put it on the shelf a week ago, so probably.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If you could put that aside for me and tell me how to purchase it, I will.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    We list hundreds of books online, so if it's still there I'll sort it out and get it posted for you. We also have the first five Space Marine Battles books (Rynn's to Damnos) in mint condition, but I think those are a little more expensive because they're trade size.

edited April 2012
    I have two of those battle books. Rynn's World and the Purging of Kadillus. I haven't read them yet. I'll probably wait to get more of the Horus Heresy books before I buy more Space Marine battle books.

If you're listing books online, where can I browse thru them?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Sorry. I've spent the last hour and a half trying to set up my dad's new wireless printer and failing miserably. His computer is already a fucking piece of shit because of all the crap he's downloaded...

Reminds me of when my friend asked me to install something for him, because his computer 'wouldn't let him install things'.

Boot it up. Why do you have 5 different clocks on your desktop? Oh, my girlfriend wanted to download them. Why do you have 12 different search bars on your web browser? My girlfriend wanted to add them. Okay, why is it running like a peice of shit... *open task manager and stare at the thousand odd processes running*.

Give my your windows disk. It's time to get serious.

Yes, but "I always mess his computer up."

There are at least three BHO's I can't get rid of right now. And he won't let me start from scratch. Not to mention, I can't seem to get into the router to add the MAC address for the wireless printer, which is the only thing I can think of that might be preventing this from working. It just won't connect to the network.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I like that avatar a lot. Purple is such a cool colour. It generally works really well on eldar.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Asher wrote: »
    I like that avatar a lot. Purple is such a cool colour. It generally works really well on eldar.

I have this in my folder o' inspirational pictures. Considering stealing that entire scheme.

RPsi6.jpeg

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I like that, very cold scheme

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @valhalla130 seriously, Nooks and Kindles are dirt cheap anymore and buying from Black Library gets you both formats DRM-free if you ever decide to step up to a tablet.

Behold, glory (and a light wallet)!

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Fuck work. That is all.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Fuck work. That is all.

Going home in 20mins. Worked 8 hours straight! Can't wait.

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ok, so I'm 80% sure I'm going to play in that 40k Tournament at PAX this Saturday.

If you see a dude playing 40k with a Salamanders army and sporting a mustache, come say hi!

Sharp101 on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I get off at noon today.

I've gotten off at noon for the last 2 weeks because of my new baby girl. It's been nice, but still stressful.

It only resulted in one game of 40k. But I did manage to work on my backyard fence getting all the posts put in. It also helps that I don't dislike my work at all and my office is rad.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @valhalla130 seriously, Nooks and Kindles are dirt cheap anymore and buying from Black Library gets you both formats DRM-free if you ever decide to step up to a tablet.

Keen, can you get those straight through iWhatever/Amazon store/etc or do you have to go through BL direct?
    And how much is each book (say, compared to average physical price of about $15).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Keen, can you get those straight through iWhatever/Amazon store/etc or do you have to go through BL direct?
    And how much is each book (say, compared to average physical price of about $15).

As far as I know, they are only up on the iBooks store or through BL's website. There is also a Black Library iOS app that lets you buy directly that way but it's kind of slow and ugly so skip it.

But definitely buy from BL directly as you can re-download in either .mobi or .epub whenever you want and there's no DRM. Prices are usually $7.99 for most books, short stories tend to be like $2.99. What's odd is that the compilation books (like the Heroes of the Space Marines) are available piecemeal on BL's site and the whole book on the iBooks store.

It's awesome, I just browse to the BL site on my iPad, tap the .epub download link and tell it to open in iBooks. Viola! It's on my shelf. I can also put it on my Nook (since no DRM) if I want to travel lighter.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    I've gotten off at noon for the last 2 weeks because of my new baby girl. It's been nice, but still stressful.

I'm on 24 hour baby watch now. They think the little trooper is going to be deploying around the 10th, but could be any day now.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    I've been thinking about the Nook. I just want a reader. Not some fancy-schmancy little computer. I want the one that doesn't have a glossy screen either.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Fuck work. That is all.

In contrast: I love my job these days. But than again, I get to sit around and read/organize books for my work day.

@valhalla130 as much as it pains me to support eReaders (Slowly killing the real book industry, and trust me...after a while you will actually miss book books), the Nook Color is a great buy. Less convoluted than the Tablet (if you REALLY just want a reader), cheaper, and you can side load BL book easily. Plus you can eventually flash it to an android tablet if you decide you do want a tablet.

Just be aware, eReaders do have as many disadvantages as advantages. Generally speaking though, they are pretty cool.

edited April 2012
    Oh, what advantages do they have? And what does "side load" mean?

And to make sure we're on topic... I mean in the context of getting those sweet, sweet Warhammer 40,000 books.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    In the context of the Nook, side-loading is basically plugging it in to your computer, browsing it like a disk, and dropping an .epub (of pdf or whatever) into the documents folder on the Nook. Then it shows up on your Nook.

As opposed to browsing the Nook store and downloading the book right onto the device.

Dedicated eReaders are absolute dogshit for pdfs. Tablets own that shit, the newest iPad above all.

When eReaders dropped I said they were stupid and that I would always stick with real books, then I used one. When the iPad got iBooks I said that was stupid and I would be sticking with my Nook, then I used an iPad.

Tablets are fucking awesome. I barely touch my laptop anymore and my desktop exists solely to play games and encode video.

Well, having an iPad would probably be neat, but then I'd play games on it all the time, or browse the internet, and that wouldn't help me read any books. Besides, the iPad is what? $500? And I saw a Nook a Walmart last night for $99.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Side loading is downloading books from a non-traditional eBook distributor (e.g. not-Amazon or B&N), then putting the files on your SD card, and loading them onto the eReader. The Kindle struggles with this as far as I know (I have very little hands on with the Kindle) where as all versions Nook can do this easily. It's important because Black Library requires side loading, since you buy their eBooks off the website and download raw files. It's also an important feature if you do want to read off the B&N/Amazon supplied library.

Advantages: Light weight, can read in the dark as long as you get a non-eInk reader, thousands of books at your finger tips, optional tablet abilities.
    Disadvantages: Not a real book (missing the smell, weight, texture, no first editions, no author signature, no lovingly worn pages), difficult to trade them around with people (while this is being made easier and easier, it's still more of a pain in the ass then just handing a book to some one and saying "read this"), if the battery dies and you don't have a plug in...you're done reading, technical issues can arise and shut down your reading (my wife's nook had it's battery go bad, she couldn't read for a week while we waited on the warranty battery...ended up buying her some book books and she hasn't touched the Nook since). Also: It's a fucking huge pain in the ass to flip pages around on an eReader to find the next chapter, or go back and find a tidbit of information on a certain page unless you know exactly where you are going.

It's a good and a bad thing, I love my Nook color...but I think that's because I've turned it into an android tablet and mostly use it for tablet things. I do read on it fairly frequently, but I am finding my self reading book books more and more these days. I read about 30-35 hours a week on average, so take that into consideration.

edited April 2012
    As a 2 year Kindle owner, I can confirm you can drag and drop Mobi files onto it like any other USB device. They just need to go in a specific folder.

I wouldn't trade my kindle for anything in the world. And while I have an older model, the new $80/$110 model looks like a steal. (I paid close to $300 for mine and it seems to be almost identical, minus an actual keyboard)

Sharp101 on
    Awesome, thanks Sharp. Like I said I didn't know how easy kindle made side loading. I do know that it either didn't work/was a huge struggle for a long time.

edited April 2012
    So the breakdown of the armies registered for my tournament is pretty interesting. With 15/16 people signed up it currently looks like this:

5 Space Marines (3 sm, 1 ba, 1 sw)
    3 Chaos Marines
    3 Orks
    2 Imperial Guard
    2 Tyranid

Should be fun!

As a side note, I really hope one more person signs up or drops. I really don't want to worry about running the tournament and playing in it at the same time!

Sharp101 on
    edited April 2012
    See, I like holding book books. They've always been part of my life, ya know. It just seems it's getting easier to get e-books instead. Plus, storage space. I'm worried about the technical aspects. I have songs I downloaded on Zune that have gone thru several redownloads because of computer issues. And I actually have some I just recently purchased prior to getting my new computer that Zune says I've used up the licenses on. So I've had them about 4 months and now I need to repurchase them. Not gonna happen. If I had the physical CD, at least I could just rip it again and not have to worry about that aspect. There's no way to rip books.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The experimental rules for the new forge world space marine flyer are available now if you're interested, it's basically just a Stormraven which can carry more dudes (I think) and with alternative weapon options for a slightly higher points cost.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    That's not a problem with ebooks, that's a problem with shitty DRM. DRM free books or music you can just back up as much as you like.

I love my kindle, and I think I'm unlikely to buy any physical books in the foreseeable future unless it's something that I want to be able to read at any time, come hell or high water.

sig.gif
    Man, you guys are bad for my wallet. What with GW sucking me dry, and this...

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Sharp, teach me how to paint at PAX.

Also I fucking love my kindle. So much that I got a kindle fire. Good times.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator

Hhahaha, I don't know if we'll have the time to do that at PAX. :P

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    If you're using an eReader and you're not using Calibre for your "side loading", you're doing it wrong.

why are you smelling it?
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Hhahaha, I don't know if we'll have the time to do that at PAX. :P
    You have to.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    skarsol wrote: »
    If you're using an eReader and you're not using Calibre for your "side loading", you're doing it wrong.

This guy knows whats up.

This discussion has been closed.