As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    Yeah, 'nids is not a sub-par army as long as you stay away from certain bad options. It's not a good book, but the good units that it has are legitimately good units.

That's something entirely different than looking at how much Bright Lances cost the eldar. I mean holy shit dem point costs. Army building is important in any miniature game, and when you're starting off behind it's just that much harder for you once you're at the table.

Then Maybe you are playing to win? I mean I don't sit down and mathhammer out lists when I go to play I just pick out units that I like, are cool, and are fun to use. It is a rare game that me taking Carnifex, or Raveners has made it unenjoyable, and even in those games it's not the book or the unit, it's whoever you are playing.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I would hope that when you're actually playing the game you're trying to win. Or do you just not shoot anything at your opponents stuff and let them roll over you? I play the game to have fun, trying to win is part of playing the game. Even when we do narrative campaign stuff, just because you're trying to play out a story doesn't mean you're not trying to win the game that you're playing.

Seriously, this is not an issue with me. It is an issue with GW. And the worst part is they've got people thinking that it's okay for them to have bad release schedules.

Just think about how much more fun everyone could be having if everyone's stuff started out at the same level. Then conversations like this wouldn't even be necessary.

SJ on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, 'nids is not a sub-par army as long as you stay away from certain bad options. It's not a good book, but the good units that it has are legitimately good units.

That's something entirely different than looking at how much Bright Lances cost the eldar. I mean holy shit dem point costs. Army building is important in any miniature game, and when you're starting off behind it's just that much harder for you once you're at the table.

Yeah, I'd love for every option in every book to be perfectly balanced. Of course I would! But it isn't the case and I doubt it's going to happen.

In my experience the gap between codex isn't massive anyway and most of the 'sub-par' units are actually pretty useable (swooping hawks for one example of a unit I see slated here all the time. Absolutely wreck nids if you're smart and are great for a last minute objective contest).

Just feels like telling someone not to play an army, even if they really love the models, because the book is somewhat below par, is a bit of a dick move when chances are it won't matter, unless you're playing the kind of win at all costs douches who only sing when they're winning and you're probably best off avoiding!

Lezta on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    I would hope that when you're actually playing the game you're trying to win. Or do you just not shoot anything at your opponents stuff and let them roll over you? I play the game to have fun, trying to win is part of playing the game.

Seriously, this is not an issue with me. It is an issue with GW. And the worst part is they've got people thinking that it's okay for them to have bad release schedules.

Obviously I try and win, but winning does not dictate fun in my mind. Everyone wants to win, but playing Eldar, or Tau can still a be a lot of fun even if they are a little weaker than other books,

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I would hope that when you're actually playing the game you're trying to win. Or do you just not shoot anything at your opponents stuff and let them roll over you? I play the game to have fun, trying to win is part of playing the game. Even when we do narrative campaign stuff, just because you're trying to play out a story doesn't mean you're not trying to win the game that you're playing.

Just think about how much more fun everyone could be having if everyone's stuff started out at the same level. Then conversations like this wouldn't even be necessary.

A conversation we have every time a couple new guys hop in the thread. This isn't exactly a revolutionary idea that's being discussed, in fact the example of how poorly written the Eldar and Tau books are in the current game environment has been cited as an example of how bad GW is at maintaining their game every time I've seen this dialog.

• Options
    Lezta wrote: »

Yeah, I'd love for every option in every book to be perfectly balanced. Of course I would! But it isn't the case and I doubt it's going to happen.

In my experience the gap between codex isn't massive anyway and most of the 'sub-par' units are actually pretty useable (swooping hawks for one example of a unit I see slated here all the time. Absolutely wreck nids if you're smart and are great for a last minute objective contest).

Just feels like telling someone not to play an army, even if they really love the models, because the book is somewhat below par, is a bit of a dick move when chances are it won't matter, unless you're playing the kind of win at all costs douches who only sing when they're winning and you're probably best off avoiding!

I didn't say everything had to be perfectly balanced. I also didn't say for people not to play the armies they like. And none of the people I play are douche bags, either, but that doesn't keep them from being good at the game. Stop straw manning, maaaan. (Oh and also swooping hawks are pretty terrible even against 'Nids, sorry bro :()
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Obviously I try and win, but winning does not dictate fun in my mind. Everyone wants to win, but playing Eldar, or Tau can still a be a lot of fun even if they are a little weaker than other books,

I never said winning dictates fun. But competition is fun, and winning is pretty fun too even if it's not what you're after, even if it isn't serious competition, and especially when that competition involves tiny plastic space mans. I just want everyone to be able to start off at the same level of competitive and be able to enjoy the game more fully by not being put on the mathematics short bus due to them liking a particular model range :)

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    I remember Nax's Tau phase. I was just getting into the forum back then.

Happy Easter everyone.

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I got some pics for dis thread

I commissioned my rhino chassis vehicles to my friend because he wanted some stuff I had... so he's painting them. Normally I wouldn't use stuff other people painted but I don't really mind this one. Three rhinos and three preds:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Command Rhino

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Eldar's a pretty AWESOME codex.

If by awesome you mean horrendously queer.

Limp wristed fairies.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    (swooping hawks for one example of a unit I see slated here all the time. Absolutely wreck nids if you're smart and are great for a last minute objective contest).

My friends Swooping Hawk squad with Exarch accomplished killing 5 Termagants with their grenade pack. Then died to the other 7 and a few Gargoyles.

Totally wrecked my Nids.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Swooping Hawks are in contention with Chaos Spawn and Flayed Ones for the worst unit in the game, what is this I don't even

• Options
    Hey c'mon now flayed ones aren't nearly as bad as chaos spawn and swooping hawks

• Options

Swooping Hawks are in contention with Chaos Spawn and Flayed Ones for the worst unit in the game, what is this I don't even

Flayed ones are.... okay? They're like slightly more durable slightly weaker Genestealers.

Pyrovores. Worst unit in 40k.

• Options
    chaos spawn are way worse than pyrovores

• Options
    Nah man, cause you can take like, 4000 of them. So it's funny.

Nothing about Pyrovores is funny.

• Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    So got my eldrad and avatar this weekend. I am really tempted to cut off eldrads sword and replace it with my farseers. If this was to scale it would be 4 feet of hilt with four feet of blade, it just seems wrong on every level.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Pyrovores are indeed the worst unit in 40k.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Muggins is the worst unit in 40k

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Not even the suspiciously suggestive veins on its giant cock cannon? You know, the one that squirts burning fluid.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I love Pyrovores. I want another 2 so I can field a unit of 3 in a spore. I just can't face the idea of actually paying money for them. :(

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Not even the suspiciously suggestive veins on its giant cock cannon? You know, the one that squirts burning fluid.

That's more gross than funny.

Burning wang sploog? Errr... death by VD?
    Asher wrote: »
    I love Pyrovores. I want another 2 so I can field a unit of 3 in a spore. I just can't face the idea of actually paying money for them. :(

You play Eldar.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Flayed ones are.... okay? They're like slightly more durable slightly weaker Genestealers.

Pyrovores. Worst unit in 40k.

Flayed ones are dedicated CC units with S4 A3 I2, no movement bonuses save Infiltrate, no invuln, no grenades, and no special close combat attacks. They're incredibly overcosted tarpits.

Edit: Pyrovores would actually be kind of almost okay if they weren't an Elite slot.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    I don't know guys, Ethereals are pretty bad. Added bonus of people pronouncing them incorrectly.

• Options
    saluksic wrote: »
    I don't know guys, Ethereals are pretty bad. Added bonus of people pronouncing them incorrectly.

Ethereals are so bad I forgot they existed

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Pretty much any unit I play is awful. I still have fun.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

That's more gross than funny.

Burning wang sploog? Errr... death by VD?

You play Eldar.

And they are fabulous.

On the whole power levels thing, while eldar are severely undergunned/over pointed at this point in time they're not a bad book. Most units are still pretty decent. There are only a few absolute dogs (Ahem, swooping hawks) in the book. Player ability is also a pretty big deal too. ESPECIALLY for the eldar book as most of the units just need more ingenuity to get good results out of. One of my friends was the top ranked Eldar player in the country until he started up dark eldar instead and his list would be crucified on on any army lists thread you care to name. I'm a pretty decent player and even with the limitations I set myself (Biel-Tan, as many aspects as possible) I generally win the majority of my games and finish in the top 1/3 of the srs bznz tournaments I go too.

SJ does have a good point though. Eldar shouldn't be gimped. I should be able to take the army I want to without making a concious decision to penalise myself. Sadly, GW's retarded business practices are pretty well established, so there's not much to be done. In the mean time I'm going to continue to take a fun themey list I enjoy using and not really give a damn about winning and losing.

I took a balls dumb Jain Zar and Banshees on foot list to a tournament and only won a single game. I still had heaps of fun though and finished 11/40 because of my amazing comp, sports and painting scores. I <3 Australian tournaments.

Asher on
  • Options
    Australia's tourney scene is pretty much nothing like anywhere else in the world, though, from what I gather.

• Options
    Flayed ones are dedicated CC units with S4 A3 I2, no movement bonuses save Infiltrate, no invuln, no grenades, and no special close combat attacks. They're incredibly overcosted tarpits.

Edit: Pyrovores would actually be kind of almost okay if they weren't an Elite slot.

They're also T4 with a 4+ and a 5+ chance to get back up.

They're not very good but they're not nearly the worst unit in the game.

Ethereals are so bad I forgot they existed

Yeah Ethereals are the worst. I've seen them cost multiple players the game, multiple times.

• Options
    And flayed ones can be made better by other things in the book. Ethereals actively make everything in the book worse.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Actually, I beg to differ, I think Draigo is the worst unit in the game. For obvious reasons.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah Ethereals are the worst. I've seen them cost multiple players the game, multiple times.

I love Ethereals because of how bad they are. My friend bought right into Tau when they first released, and loved his two Ethereals. One was converted to have that special sword that made no sense because you never wanted them anywhere near combat.

Then I bought a Callidus assassin and some Daemonhunters. First game, Callidus appeared, neuroshredded his Ethereal, caused 3/4 of his army to run off the board, then proceeded to murder battlesuits using hit and run.

He never used his Ethereals ever again.

• Options
    Australia's tourney scene is pretty much nothing like anywhere else in the world, though, from what I gather.

Yeah it's pretty good.

• Options

Yeah it's pretty good.

Zing.

• Options
    Yeah too bad they aren't any good at 40k down there. Government must force all the convicts to play nice so it doesn't get violent :bz

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah too bad they aren't any good at 40k down there. Government must force all the convicts to play nice so it doesn't get violent :bz

Pfff, we're just too busy channelling our energy into killing crocs with our bare hands and catching deadly snakes, that's all.

• Options
    So, still in the process of painting this loota with some of the new paints. Using Lamenters yellow and then hitting the corners and some of the flat areas with a heavy dose of Agrax Earthshade makes a wonderful dirty yellow. Fuck yeah mob of Bad Moons lootas.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

Pfff, we're just too busy channelling our energy into killing crocs with our bare hands and catching deadly snakes, that's all.

So, is that some kind of euphemism we haven't heard of on the upper part of the world? Choking the croc?

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

So, is that some kind of euphemism we haven't heard of on the upper part of the world? Choking the croc?

Yeah, because Australian penises are known around the globe as Crocodiles. They're lethal.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Crikey! Look at the teeth on that crocodile!

Now when I look at muggins avatar, all I see is Australian penis.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So I decided my 3rd Ed Pewter Company Commander (as seen in the spoiler) should be retired and I should get a new model to replace him.
    Captain.jpg

But how should I honor his memory and 2 editions of service? By making a statue of him. Or him a statue.
    photo1-1.jpg

The idea is that I'm going to mount the block onto a CD and then make a ring around the edge of the disc, like a fountain/statue. I think the paint job turned out rather nice. Just a couple of coats from a bronze metal spray paint.

newSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.