As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Jante [Chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "I believe in ammunition."

ftOqU21.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Malbec is the best red with steak imo

I missed this post

EM right now you and I are looking across a crowded room in spirit

I'm just making eye contact and giving you a single upward nod as if to say, "Indeed, bro."

he licks his lips and closes his eyes softly, whispering across the room "i want you."

EM nods across the room and whispers back "indeed, bro."

wait none of this was in the version of the script my agent approved

he said, naively. He forgot to read the fine print. Again.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I really like it too. A hardcore band I like did a 4 song acoustic EP which is awesome, but this girl just makes it her own.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    also Portuguese is for cool people

i need to learn that next

the most beautiful song I've ever heard was in a hostel in europe.

two groups had bumped into each other a little earlier in the main area -- one was portuguese and one was from eastern europe. It so turned out that one person in each group both played guitar and had access to an acoustic guitar.

So the then-girlfriend and I sat with them at a little table and drank Bombay Sapphire straight while they played songs together. At one point, they started playing Bob Marley's "redemption song," except a very striking Portuguese woman with them began singing another song to the same melody, in Portuguese. She had dark, curly hair and piercing eyes and a sad voice with a kind of distance it. I really can't summarize what it was which made the moment so memorable.

best song, one of the best nights of my life

That sounds a little like a couple of parties I've been to back home. Someone long ago translated Marley's works into Maori (I think he toured NZ back in the day and made an impression) and it isn't uncommon for Maori guys to pick up a guitar at the first opportunity that presents itself at a party.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2012
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Why do you want to press logs.

Because they aren't gonna press themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1UCVvwIIIk

This is someone doing a log press.

Svend just did this weight. It looked harder than what this guy made it look, but Svend won 11 years ago.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    @Drez it's Riemer's XNA tutorial: http://www.riemers.net/

@TehSloth I've done some 2D stuff with XNA. It's wonderful because of how simple it makes everything. I had a fully functioning 2D scroller from scratch in less than 12 hours with optional weapons, ammo drops, backgrounds, explosions, physics simulation of smoke trailes, etc.

@Shivahn I'm using XNA over OpenGL because the little OpenGL I've done was in C++ and in Java and I learned to not like it. I'm not the greatest programmer, so ease of use trumps raw power. C# + XNA is monkey-level complexity (That is, a monkey could write code in C# and XNA), so it's way less frustrating for me.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm taking an OpenGL class at the moment. All of the lectures involve him teaching us about maths and physics, and all the tutorials involve the demonstrators being frustrated because we have no idea how to code what we're being expected to code. It's awful.

There is a lot of math and physics. That's sort of dumb that that isn't two classes though.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

tyrannus wrote: »
    also Portuguese is for cool people

i need to learn that next

the most beautiful song I've ever heard was in a hostel in europe.

two groups had bumped into each other a little earlier in the main area -- one was portuguese and one was from eastern europe. It so turned out that one person in each group both played guitar and had access to an acoustic guitar.

So the then-girlfriend and I sat with them at a little table and drank Bombay Sapphire straight while they played songs together. At one point, they started playing Bob Marley's "redemption song," except a very striking Portuguese woman with them began singing another song to the same melody, in Portuguese. She had dark, curly hair and piercing eyes and a sad voice with a kind of distance it. I really can't summarize what it was which made the moment so memorable.

best song, one of the best nights of my life

It is the best language

fuck gendered marketing
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    So, apparently my old high school is one of the plaintiffs in the suit against the contraception mandate thing. I guess its good that they've decided that, because now I won't feel bad about never donating to them.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    why are so many people in online games speaking Portuguese

Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Why shouldn't they?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    so i downloaded the me3 demo for the pc if anyone wants to play multiplayer later today

edited February 2012
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I'm taking an OpenGL class at the moment. All of the lectures involve him teaching us about maths and physics, and all the tutorials involve the demonstrators being frustrated because we have no idea how to code what we're being expected to code. It's awful.

There is a lot of math and physics. That's sort of dumb that that isn't two classes though.
    I'm guessing the maths/physics stuff isn't immediately applicable to the coding of just representing shapes on screen? I don't think we've actually applied anything done in class to the lectures yet, which is frustrating...

Tav on
    it's just kind of weird how prevalent they are

I never see people speaking french or anything

also, protuguese is lame

so i downloaded the me3 demo for the pc if anyone wants to play multiplayer later today

Not Xbox?

fuck gendered marketing
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    Nova_C wrote: »
    @Shivahn I'm using XNA over OpenGL because the little OpenGL I've done was in C++ and in Java and I learned to not like it. I'm not the greatest programmer, so ease of use trumps raw power. C# + XNA is monkey-level complexity (That is, a monkey could write code in C# and XNA), so it's way less frustrating for me.

Fair enough. I'm not the best programmer either but I've got OCD about a lot of things, so I like the ability to optimize and the ability to be ultra-portable (Which OpenGL and SDL in C++ is. You can run that on freaking anything.)

I was mostly asking just because I'm pretty ignorant about it and wondered what about it is attractive.

Shivahn on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So, apparently my old high school is one of the plaintiffs in the suit against the contraception mandate thing. I guess its good that they've decided that, because now I won't feel bad about never donating to them.

Tell them this. It may not change their minds but it wouldn't hurt.

also, protuguese is lame

Brazil is a very big country

and there are not any similarly large populations of French speaking people in the Western Hemisphere (and most of them also speak English)

also, you are lame

fuck gendered marketing
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Okinawa. More like Lamenawa.

Like, with no prior experience in XNA, I made this is less than 12 hours:
    ScrollerScreenshot.jpg

The helicopters were randomly placed on the right and if you collided with one, or if one reaches the left side of the screen it's game over. They would gradually spawn more and more often.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    @Drez it's Riemer's XNA tutorial: http://www.riemers.net/

@TehSloth I've done some 2D stuff with XNA. It's wonderful because of how simple it makes everything. I had a fully functioning 2D scroller from scratch in less than 12 hours with optional weapons, ammo drops, backgrounds, explosions, physics simulation of smoke trailes, etc.

Thanks!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Not Xbox?

im loaning my 360 to my brother, when me3 comes out for real i will be playing it on the 360

They're probably Brazilian, which would explain why they're on when you are and also speaking Portuguese.

no, I'm pretty sure I'm cool

Quid wrote: »

:(

You'll hurt the Okinawans' feelings like that

fuck gendered marketing
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Good.

I'm guessing the maths/physics stuff isn't immediately applicable to the coding of just representing shapes on screen? I don't think we've actually applied anything done in class to the lectures yet, which is frustrating...

No, it's more basic than that. The basics of 3D graphics is basically just rather advanced and complicated math. Matrices and stuff. You probably only would need to know it if you're helping develop OpenGL or want to understand why what you're doing is happening (which is important).

But it's not strictly necessary for coding stuff, really.

why does no-one ever apply tourniquets or pressure when people get shot in movies?

they always just hold their hands on top of the wound like that's gonna do anything at all

ftOqU21.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Wow, you rent dyes in TERA.

They're probably Brazilian, which would explain why they're on when you are and also speaking Portuguese.

There are also rarely, if ever, any Brazilian servers or even localizations for these games

fuck gendered marketing
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote:

also, protuguese is lame

Brazil is a very big country

and there are not any similarly large populations of French speaking people in the Western Hemisphere (and most of them also speak English)

also, you are lame

Also also the Francophones have their own version of the internet.

Good.

But the mountain cats will be sad!

fuck gendered marketing

There are also rarely, if ever, any Brazilian servers or even localizations for these games

Didn't know that! That makes a lot of sense.

rent dyes?

wat?

fuck gendered marketing
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is it true Cartoon Network are going through another phase of promoting cheap live action shows? If so, this makes me sad.

Is it true Cartoon Network are going through another phase of promoting cheap live action shows? If so, this makes me sad.

I think it's just the one

edited February 2012
    Shivahn wrote:
    No, it's more basic than that. The basics of 3D graphics is basically just rather advanced and complicated math. Matrices and stuff. You probably only would need to know it if you're helping develop OpenGL or want to understand why what you're doing is happening (which is important).

But it's not strictly necessary for coding stuff, really.

Yeah, it depends on how much is abstracted.

For example, XNA handles all the matrix calculations. You basically place your vertices using x, y, z co-ords and then establish the x, y, z co-ords of your camera, tell it where to look and define the lens that it is looking with.

The API handles the rest, so matrix math is unnecessary.

Nova_C on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

rent dyes?

wat?
    It's kind of like Repo the Genetic Opera only with dye instead of organs.

mrflippy on

rent dyes?

wat?

if I'm gonna guess, something like world of tanks' thing where you can apply cosmetic stuff (camo) to your tank for 30 days, with their premium currency. But you can buy it forever too.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.