As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Jante [Chat]

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky that's a great comic. You shouldn't be sad if you do diary comics that well.

Thanks, but I'd like to be much better.

I don't know if diary comics are a thing I should continue to do. Maybe.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    If you own a weapon which is not legally possible to use, there's no point in allowing posession.

You own a car. However, disease strikes you legally blind. Then...?

That's after the fact though. Also cars are not legally classified as a weapon by default.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky that's a great comic. You shouldn't be sad if you do diary comics that well.

YES! Keep doing them! They're awesome.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If you own a weapon which is not legally possible to use, there's no point in allowing posession.

You own a car. However, disease strikes you legally blind. Then...?

You get someone else to drive your car? I'd drive my grandma around all the time in her car after she went blind.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    This sort of religious reverence for the US constitution boggles my mind.

Law is supposed to balance public good versus personal freedom, but people constantly argue that anyone everywhere should be able to get a gun, no questions asked, because of the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT. It's ludicrous.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hm. So, debate over several days regarding the second amendment to the US constitution. I have been trying to get clarification on the notion that restricting ownership of any weapon is an infringement. I asked if that meant they believed nuclear weapons should be purchasable by private citizens.

They called that a strawman.

I'm not sure how it could be a strawman.

there's a not-insignificant number of "gun people" that think there shouldn't be a limit to what a person can buy. Like, if a guy can afford an ICBM and the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of hardware to make that ICBM useable, he should be able to. The general idea is that if the US government deems the guy with the nuke a threat they should just bomb him.

It's one of those extreme libertarian people-will-govern-themselves sort of things.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

You might travel to a different country with different gun laws? Go on safari?

Then store it in that place where it's legal.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

They're a lot of fun. I mean as long as you're drawing every day you're going to get better.

this will make you feel better about stuff. It's safe for work, just HUGE

http://i.imgur.com/5KhGH.jpg

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Post that comic, dick.

Post it in SE++!

Also good recent SF was Hyperion, actually. More like a few short stories, but all decently interesting. Hewed a bit too close to Canterbury Tales but fuck it not like I paid attention when I was reading Canterbury Tales.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    This sort of religious reverence for the US constitution boggles my mind.

Law is supposed to balance public good versus personal freedom, but people constantly argue that anyone everywhere should be able to get a gun, no questions asked, because of the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT. It's ludicrous.

The Law and the Constitution are not equal.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Hm. So, debate over several days regarding the second amendment to the US constitution. I have been trying to get clarification on the notion that restricting ownership of any weapon is an infringement. I asked if that meant they believed nuclear weapons should be purchasable by private citizens.

there's a not-insignificant number of "gun people" that think there shouldn't be a limit to what a person can buy. Like, if a guy can afford an ICBM and the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of hardware to make that ICBM useable, he should be able to. The general idea is that if the US government deems the guy with the nuke a threat they should just bomb him.

It's one of those extreme libertarian people-will-govern-themselves sort of things.

confiscating a nuke under judicial oversight is not kosher, but bombing the guy is? Wow.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Someone at work decided to throw a pizza party. Hooray.

Now I've blown my entire day's worth of calories on lunch. Boooooo.

If you guys catch me eating paper tonight, do not judge.
    what are you using to track calories?

My brain. I keep it approximate and I don't eat much outside of meals. I don't want anything more official because it is my personality to treat any diet aids as the enemy and attempt to game them.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    just look at van gogh's early shit

dude couldnt draw a head to save his life

he had to spend 2 years with a viewfinder just to learn to draw correctly

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Man, given all of the grief you go through with an NFA gun, I can only imagine the ATF would pretty much assign you a personal agent to follow you 24/7 in that case.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Dr. Who will never allow me to view Vincent Van Gogh in a realistic light

and I don't think I want to

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

He is a lot more depressing that way.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Collectors or museums maybe.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the worst thing about van gogh is the americans pronouncing him "van go"

da fuk

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    on one hand, i dont want guys like warrent buffet deciding to make their own paramilitary force and carving out a piece of some nation to be their own

on the other i want to shoot things with my own tank

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Post that comic, dick.

Post it in SE++!

Also good recent SF was Hyperion, actually. More like a few short stories, but all decently interesting. Hewed a bit too close to Canterbury Tales but fuck it not like I paid attention when I was reading Canterbury Tales.

I liked Hyperion a lot but I'll be honest, Fall of Hyperion was more my speed. What with the high political tension and the mysteries and the massive space battles.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

da fuk

van gog

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    man, it is totally lame that Scottrade doesn't support DRIP. I think any new stocks/ETFs I get might be through Etrade in spite of the higher transaction costs. Or I can live dangerously and start fucking around with options even though I know nothing about them.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

I kind of want this hanging in my apartment as a sort of nerdy Easter Egg.

pp32399-doctor-who-exploding-tardis-van-gogh-poster.jpg

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Dresdan Codak is good.

2012-02-15-dark_science_16.jpg

• Options
    (1) the founders did, indeed, want to rely on a spread-out militia

(2) which they realized was a stupid idea almost immediately after the revolutionary war

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

da fuk

I like van Ike.

• Options
    on one hand, i dont want guys like warrent buffet deciding to make their own paramilitary force and carving out a piece of some nation to be their own

What about guys unlike Warren Buffet? He's kind of a dick.

• Options

Warren Buffet would probably have a pretty good country. I'd live there.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    bowen wrote:
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I worked for McKesson at one point, bowen.

I hope you're not using their billing software.

Nope. The hospital uses it for stamping for doctors.

Of course the obvious solution is a Java applet that runs on the hospitals website that we have access to through a VPN.

All of clicking a god damned button and display text. Seriously first year students at ITT Tech could do better.

I don't know who they have designing this shit.

Medical software is shit. I can relay hours and hours of headaches and stories about the dental software we use. The crap that can destroy itself during an update so much to the point you have to reinstall. And if it happens on your server, whelp you are reinstalling the whole office and hoping that the update works the next time which it can.

Or the fact that the wireless interoral cameras actually run on their own wireless network that the computer will try to connect to 25% of the time.

But hey at least ours lets up go out months in advance in the scheduling book. Some only let you move your schedule one day at a time. So you want to make an appointment 3 months out, you get to flip pages for about 90 days worth of scheduling.

The thing is, I write EHR software myself.

Seriously, our office is running on the software I wrote. Software that, I might add, isn't a java applet and if I needed other offices to use it, I could easily port it to HTML/PHP/Whateverthefuckbesides java.

Still, that's terrible. Makes me wish I was actually in this to sell my EHR, I could make soooo much money. Billing is the stupidest stupid fuck shit though, though, scheduling and records/notes are easy as snotballs in a snotball factory.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

This contrast amuses me.

• Options
    turns out calling forth the militia is great and all when you're all fighting British taxes but surprisingly enough reception is tepid when you're fighting insurrectionists protesting your own taxes

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I love Dresdan Codak and I am desperately in love with the main character, which probably means I am the same kind of neckbeard as Aaron Diaz.

• Options
    Post that comic, dick.

Post it in SE++!

I liked Hyperion a lot but I'll be honest, Fall of Hyperion was more my speed. What with the high political tension and the mysteries and the massive space battles.

That initial story about the Crucifix really got me interested. It's got hope and loss and hubris and sacrifice and all very nicely executed and creepy.

But yeah I should grab Fall of Hyperion.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

This contrast amuses me.

Opposites hifive!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    turns out calling forth the militia is great and all when you're all fighting British taxes but surprisingly enough reception is tepid when you're fighting insurrectionists protesting your own taxes

Worked with Shay's Rebellion.

• Options
    The moment Dresden Codak commits to telling any story in a reasonable amount of time and with panels designed to help instead of hinder that storytelling, I will be right on board. Right now I feel his attractive art masks a lot of significant flaws.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:
    The Law and the Constitution are not equal.

I don't give a shit. The Constitution is used as it's own justification, exactly the same way religious zealots use the bible.

It's just a piece of paper and proves nothing.

The right to bear arms should be justified with reason and logic, not "It. Was. Written."

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hey chat. How's things?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    The moment Dresden Codak commits to telling any story in a reasonable amount of time and with panels designed to help instead of hinder that storytelling, I will be right on board. Right now I feel his attractive art masks a lot of significant flaws.

I only read it for the art and setting.

• Options
    Post that comic, dick.

Post it in SE++!

That initial story about the Crucifix really got me interested. It's got hope and loss and hubris and sacrifice and all very nicely executed and creepy.

But yeah I should grab Fall of Hyperion.

I liked all four books, but a not insignificant number of people didn't like Endymion or Rise of Endymion, so YMMV.

This discussion has been closed.