As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    http://www.amoebattle.com/

This is coming to 3DS. First purchase from the eShop confirmed.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

Really? There are a ton of other great eShop things already. Somehow it's gotten a wealth of games knocking it out of the park since launch, not too much shovelware.

Everyone should try Pushmo. Everyone.

Zen Pinball is awesome, deep 3D with 4xAA, awesome tables, soon to have DLC.

VVVVVV, Sakura Samurai and Rolling Western are all great choices as well. Mutant Mudds is also highly recommended.

Mighty Switch Force is fun but short. Ditto to Fun Fun Minigolf Touch.

3D Classics Twinbee, Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, and Excitebike to a lesser extent are all good choices from that line of games.

Link's Awakening DX is a must-have VC game, and I also love Mario's Picross. Dragon Crystal for GG is very enjoyable for $2.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Streetpasses are pretty awesome for in-game stuff, especially recent games like Resident Evil and Kid Icarus. I said this earlier this month when somebody asked about streetpassing:
    Many games can register themselves in your 3DS to also exchange data, whether the game's in the system or not. Early games had simpler benefits; you would earn a small amount of currency in Lego Star Wars, exchange gifts with other pet owners in Nintendogs+Cats, and exchange ghost data for a race in Ridge Racer. Mario Kart 7 exchanges player data and lets you race a version of them, based on the system's analysis of their normal performance.

The most fun and best uses so far: Resident Evil Revelations deposits a small amount of ammo for single player use and generates a boss zombie version of the other player to kill in Raid Mode (as if they had fallen to infection). Kid Icarus lets you give out copies of any weapon of your choice to others, which they do have to pay to claim but it's still really nice.

There are other uses, too. Very tangible benefits.

Thats some cool stuff, i only have Mario Kart 7 but got a ton of passes and ghosts on it. I wonder what theyll do for Mario tennis open. I wish i knew more about this at PAX East as i only brought my 3DS for like a day and i had over 110 passes, imagine all the ones i missed!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    About the same, actually. One more for our SMB2 if you count Doki Doki Panic.

Super Mario USA and Super Mario Advance (1) don't have a "Lost Levels" equivalent (and then Doki Doki Panic if you count that). Though I guess technically Lost Levels was bundled in with Super Mario Deluxe as a bonus unlockable (but with SMB1 sprites... bleh)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    EvilRedEye wrote: »
    They do put retail games on the eShop, albeit as weird husk entries that say 'Not available on eShop'. Could it be crossed wires or automation?

Could mean that there may be a demo coming to the eShop eventually. Or that someday (we know it'll come eventually) they'll put the game up for sale on the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure the retail games on the eShop are just a form of advertising. That way Nintendo doesn't have preview videos floating around nebulously, they are attached to an official game entity, one that is not available on the eShop, but sorted and searchable.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Don't forget that Nintendo has said part of their Nintendo Network thing will be to offer full retail games digitally. Sure, this doesn't necessarily mean that NSMB2 is one of them, but we could see this stuff soon.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Rumor has it that there are going to be 5 new levels added to Mighty Switch Force, and also an "upgraded" version of Cave Story on the eShop specifically for 3DS.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I have 60 Club Nintendo coins about to expire (of my 1200), so, what do I buy?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Rumor has it that there are going to be 5 new levels added to Mighty Switch Force, and also an "upgraded" version of Cave Story on the eShop specifically for 3DS.

It's no rumor.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I have 60 Club Nintendo coins about to expire (of my 1200), so, what do I buy?

I had fun with Ultra Hand myself, and it's only 80 coins.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    You can either use screen protectors or adhesive feet. IIRC newer models don't have this problem, but no reason to not play it safe.

I've got a red one, and it did those scratches :/

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Really? There are a ton of other great eShop things already. Somehow it's gotten a wealth of games knocking it out of the park since launch, not too much shovelware.

VVVVVV, Sakura Samurai and Rolling Western are all great choices as well. Mutant Mudds is also highly recommended.

3D Classics Twinbee, Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, and Excitebike to a lesser extent are all good choices from that line of games.

Link's Awakening DX is a must-have VC game, and I also love Mario's Picross. Dragon Crystal for GG is very enjoyable for $2.

It's the first of many. Although it's a good thing I haven't added my CC to it already. Pretty much everything you list is on the list.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Haven't seen anything about this posted.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/18/bloody-vampire-for-nintendo-eshop-looks-almost-like-a-cuter-castlevania/
    Bloody Vampire has you playing as two half-vampire girls out to defeat actual vampires in the human world. Silver Star describe the game as an action RPG.

Bloody Vampire will be released on April 25th on the Nintendo eShop in Japan. Agetec published Silver Star’s first Rabi Laby game in North America, so perhaps they’ll consider picking Bloody Vampire up as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z96oJhW89t0

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

It's the first of many. Although it's a good thing I haven't added my CC to it already. Pretty much everything you list is on the list.

YMMV but I was pretty bummed out by my purchase of Mario's Picross

My first Picross game was Picross 3D, which you should absolutely seek out if you can

It's amazing and it spoiled me absolutely

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Newest firmware update is live. Folders and patches are a-go! Finally, a clutterless menu screen again. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    About the same, actually. One more for our SMB2 if you count Doki Doki Panic.

Super Mario USA and Super Mario Advance (1) don't have a "Lost Levels" equivalent (and then Doki Doki Panic if you count that). Though I guess technically Lost Levels was bundled in with Super Mario Deluxe as a bonus unlockable (but with SMB1 sprites... bleh)

Yeah, I was counting SMB DX, since Nintendo seemed to count that towards the GB/A ports of the series.

So, let's see...

DDP(FDS), SMUSA(F[DS?]), SMAS(SFC), SMA(GBA), VC(Wii), SMAS(Wii) = 6

SMB2(FDS), SMAS(SFC), SMBDX(GB), VC(Wii), SMAS(Wii) = 5

Oh, and SMUSA got that Satelleview release as well. Slightly different game, but it's something.

And of course, in the US, Lost Levels has one less, since we didn't get the NES version. So I guess Japan got one more on each side than we did.

...and in a strange twist, Wikipedia says that DDP was originally a prototype sequel to Super Mario Bros., but was changed to DDP's characters, and then back to Mario at NOA's request. Though the source they cite doesn't quite seem to say that in such a way...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Japan got Super Mario USA as a cart in 1992 or 93, not as a disk.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Newest firmware update is live. Folders and patches are a-go! Finally, a clutterless menu screen again. :D

Yay! I updated last night and even just storing the NES/SNES games is great!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Wow, they've changed up the eshop too.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just being able to hide Face Raiders and the AR Games I never use is a relief. Well, that and being able to organize the crapton of Ambassador stuff I have.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    ...and in a strange twist, Wikipedia says that DDP was originally a prototype sequel to Super Mario Bros., but was changed to DDP's characters, and then back to Mario at NOA's request. Though the source they cite doesn't quite seem to say that in such a way...

I find that really, really hard to believe.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've read that story before. It says absolutely nothing of this sort. Go go wiki spreading misinformation again!

Any connection this thing would have had to Mario was probably because it was a platformer in the early NES days when there weren't a whole lot of platformers besides Mario. So the comparisons would have surely been there. But Kohler's article actually makes it kind of clear that the prototype started as a totally different (likely undefined at the time) franchise.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The e-shop has been streamlined a lot. I pretty much only use the bottom part when browsing now. Hurrah!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The e-shop has been streamlined a lot. I pretty much only use the bottom part when browsing now. Hurrah!

Did this patch change it? I haven't been in there in awhile.

• Options
    Yes it did.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    It doesn't do a very good job of highlighting the 3DS eshop games though despite having a Virtual Console section.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    There is a "3D" section. Or do you mean all the non-dsi stuff?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought Sony's Playstation Store and XMB were the worst, but eShop manages to be worse still.

It's amazing to me that these companies can't manage a digital storefront properly. And by "amazing" I really mean "annoying."

edit: Oh, they made a change? Will check out shortly.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PS Store is the only one that ever freezes on me.

The worst store ever though is the original DSi store. Two items on the screen is your max? Shitty search function? Yeah....no.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Ah I kind of like this new eShop layout. Feels less "HERE'S A BUNCH OF BIG BUTTONS BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO FIND STUFF" than the old version without making significant changes.

Edit: Yes, DSiWare was complete shit. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that store.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Now, it's not that I want the 3DS to turn into some shitty dumping ground for a bunch of iOS games

But my iPhone addiction for the past few months has been Jetpack Joyride, which got a nice little update today. I saw Cut the Rope on the eShop (and I'm not sure how that would work, since that game uses multi-touch), but it just got me thinking how much more I would love Joyride on the 3DS - it would look neat in 3D, it's sort of a twitch game and none of the screen would be covered by fingers anywhere, and most importantly, I wouldn't be interrupted by slowdown because of texts from dirty humans (and Game Center disconnects)

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I picked up cut the rope just to see how it would work. I have to look up which levels use the multi-touch on my ipod, but this 3DS version is actually a DSi game. The graphics are heavily compressed and the ropes look terrible with the tiny resolution, this is the only DS game I have to play in mini-mode. Even though it looks like crap I kinda prefer it with a stylus.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Angry Birds was announced as a DSiWare title almost two years ago, but we haven't heard anything since.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    I'm new to the 3DS so forgive me about nerding out over 3D music videos

The video for B.o.B.'s "So Good" just went up and I was like "this is awesome"

Great timing too, especially since I just saw B.o.B. last night (he played a halftime show at the local high school, oddly enough)

• Options
    I'm new to the 3DS so forgive me about nerding out over 3D music videos

The video for B.o.B.'s "So Good" just went up and I was like "this is awesome"

Great timing too, especially since I just saw B.o.B. last night (he played a halftime show at the local high school, oddly enough)

He must have had family at the school, on the team, wtf?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Japan got Super Mario USA as a cart in 1992 or 93, not as a disk.

Ah, okay. I knew it was on Famicom, I just couldn't find verification of how.

I find that really, really hard to believe.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've read that story before. It says absolutely nothing of this sort. Go go wiki spreading misinformation again!

Any connection this thing would have had to Mario was probably because it was a platformer in the early NES days when there weren't a whole lot of platformers besides Mario. So the comparisons would have surely been there. But Kohler's article actually makes it kind of clear that the prototype started as a totally different (likely undefined at the time) franchise.

Aye, I asked him on Twitter earlier; he said "This is a case of whoever wrote that Wikipedia article being tragically illiterate."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You know, Nintendo Video annoys me. I should really have a way to look for videos and save the ones I like. I mean, I almost never use it because there are just completely random videos every day and you have no say over what gets put there. So 90% of the time there is nothing of interest, which encourages me to *not* use it because likely there isn't going to be anything there I want to watch. Meanwhile I missed one of the Kid Icarus videos since the videos are just populated automatically and I was too late for that one, which kind of annoys me (it was a crappy one in retrospect, I tried to watch it on youtube and turned it off since it was dumb - the anime ones were way better and made me wish they'd actually do a Kid Icarus cartoon)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    You know, Nintendo Video annoys me. I should really have a way to look for videos and save the ones I like. I mean, I almost never use it because there are just completely random videos every day and you have no say over what gets put there. So 90% of the time there is nothing of interest, which encourages me to *not* use it because likely there isn't going to be anything there I want to watch. Meanwhile I missed one of the Kid Icarus videos since the videos are just populated automatically and I was too late for that one, which kind of annoys me (it was a crappy one in retrospect, I tried to watch it on youtube and turned it off since it was dumb - the anime ones were way better and made me wish they'd actually do a Kid Icarus cartoon)

Yeah, I would love an "export" function on Nintendo Video that would allow us to save them to the SD card to view like the camera videos we take. I don't mind the random update intervals too much, but I generally haven't missed any videos.

Are we friends? Do you get my Swapnote "Nintedo Video Reviews"? Try to help people know what's currently watchable and not miss anything.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Big deal?
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - APRIL 26, 2012

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo 3DS™
    Nintendo 3DS System Update – The latest Nintendo 3DS system update is now available. For a full list of what is included, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/system-update. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Nintendo eShop
    Block Factory – Create and share puzzles with this predefined falling-block puzzle game. Your goal is to avoid filling the playing field to the top. When a block hits the top, the game is over. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Virtual Console™
    Super Street Fighter II™: The New Challengers – Battle in elimination tournaments with Ryu's new flaming fireball and Ken's new Dragon Punch. Fight head-to-head locally and compete against other challengers in heated online battles. (For Wii™)

Nintendo Video™
    I Fight Dragons Video Premiere – Chiptune rock band I Fight Dragons takes you on a space adventure in the premiere of the music video "Save World Get Girl" on Nintendo Video. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Also new this week:
    • Chuck E. Cheese's® Arcade (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare™)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/download5kmDr269.php.

First instance of a VC game getting online play added to it?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Big deal?
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - APRIL 26, 2012

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo 3DS™
    Nintendo 3DS System Update – The latest Nintendo 3DS system update is now available. For a full list of what is included, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/system-update. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Nintendo eShop
    Block Factory – Create and share puzzles with this predefined falling-block puzzle game. Your goal is to avoid filling the playing field to the top. When a block hits the top, the game is over. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Virtual Console™
    Super Street Fighter II™: The New Challengers – Battle in elimination tournaments with Ryu's new flaming fireball and Ken's new Dragon Punch. Fight head-to-head locally and compete against other challengers in heated online battles. (For Wii™)

Nintendo Video™
    I Fight Dragons Video Premiere – Chiptune rock band I Fight Dragons takes you on a space adventure in the premiere of the music video "Save World Get Girl" on Nintendo Video. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Also new this week:
    • Chuck E. Cheese's® Arcade (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare™)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/download5kmDr269.php.

First instance of a VC game getting online play added to it?

First in America at least. I think there were a couple in Japan, like Puyo Puyo I believe.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.