As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FTL] Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition and iPad Version coming 2014!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Neeeaat. More stuff happening!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Big news! We officially signed a deal with Valve; meaning both the beta and final game will be available through Steam! Everyone who pre-ordered the game through Kickstarter can receive a Steam key in addition to the DRM free version. This also means that to take part in the beta you will need a free Steam account. If you are unable/unwilling to test the beta through Steam, we apologize, but you still have a week to change your pledge amount through Kickstarter.

Lovely news.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I kind of want to back this on Kickstarter even though I have no chance of getting OnLive to work, but I can't decide if I need beta access.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    the demo on OnLive is over, and the finished game won't be using it, so you don't need to worry about that in your decision.

the only reason is was ever using OnLive to begin with was that OnLive was doing an indy games showcase of entries in the Independent Games Festival.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    For those of you who don't watch that video. Steam version confirmed.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Yes! This is great news, I am so happy for the Devs, the implications of getting on Steam means there are so many more people who will see and play this game. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Added 2 new videos to the frontpage

• Options
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Just 35 hours left on the Kickstarter, so what the heck. I'm intrigued enough from what I've seen to go for the $25 level so I'll can see the closed beta.

• Options
    New update at Kickstarter, the gist of it is the two guys are now a named business, Subset Games. If you want to draw them a logo, this might be your chance. And their website has been updated with some forums and the two Dev guys are reading them and responding like the awesome Indie types they are.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fourth video with a preview of one of the new ships:

• Options
    This is going a to be one hell of a game when it releases :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    If you're not following the Kickstarter updates, they've just said the beta probably won't be able to start in May, due to them being busy throwing their newfound truckloads of money into new features.

• Options
    Which I for one am cool with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Was really happy to get that email this morning.

• Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    Argh, late to the party and now I really want to play this!

steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Furk yurr, gurrts murr burrta kurrz.

Hello wonderful backer. The FTL Beta is upon us! However, before you start playing, please read over the info in this email. It’s rather important.

First, as a reminder, the Beta is Windows only (XP, Vista or 7).

Second, the beta requires a free Steam account. If you don’t have Steam installed, please follow the instructions in the following link: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Third, by installing, copying, downloading or otherwise using the Beta, you shall be deemed to have agreed to be bound by the terms of the following EULA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install, copy, download or otherwise use the Beta. http://www.ftlgame.com/betaEULA.html
    (It’s pretty standard, just a precaution)

And finally, here is your key: BOOGA-BOOGA-BOOGA

To install and play the game, after installing and running Steam, open the LIBRARY tab of your Steam window. In the bottom left there is a button marked “Add a Game”. Click on it, then click “Activate a product on Steam..” Follow the prompts and copy your key into the “Product Code” box when asked. Once you finish downloading the game it should be in your library and you’ll be ready to play!

For additional info on the Beta (including creation of videos and bug reporting) please read through our overview at: http://www.ftlgame.com/betaoverview.html

Once you’re finished reading and start playing, if you would like to help us find and fix bugs you can sign up for an account at: http://www.getsatisfaction.com/FTLgame

If you would like to join our discussions about FTL and everything else, head to our forums at: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum

Thanks!
    Matt & Justin

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I would like to emphasize that the bug reporting will be huge for the development team. While you don't have to, if you'd like, sign up at http://www.getsatisfaction.com/FTLgame and log anything you may come across.

Thanks!

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    God damn, I wish I'd had the cash to back it.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Mmmmm beta. Too bad I'm stuck in the most boring 8 hour meeting of the year.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Should have checked my email last night. I'll probably make beta videos of my playthrough, just cause.

Super excited about this.

• Options
    Loving this game so far. Roguelike with space ships, how can you lose? 8->

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I'm really lamenting my lack of funds at the time this kickstarter closed. Eagerly awaiting the full release.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    I got the e-mail as soon as I got in bed last night. If not for an irritable fiancee I most certainly would have gotten back out of bed.

Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    I'm really lamenting my lack of funds at the time this kickstarter closed. Eagerly awaiting the full release.

Same. Hopefully it won't be too long.

• Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    I just learned about this game, I'm impressed, I wish I could have been part of the kickstarter to get in on the Beta.
    i'm looking forward to the Late August/September release

In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I just got my beta key as well, been playing it for almost 4 hours, and I'm liking it. It does have a bit too much of the rougelike, where the first guy you meet can either be a totally walk in the park or death on toast. I do like the Torus ship, the ion cannons are very nice. Now all I need is a laser or something, and I'm set! lock down the shields and weapons and they're sitting ducks. It's too bad you can't save though, unless I'm missing something really obvious.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Definitely scratches the roguelike itch. I'm having a lot of fun so far, great little gem of a game.

• Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    Could anyone in the Beta go over the ships that you can choose?

In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    That is really weird, I could have sworn from a post on their forums that they were. Let me see if I can find it...

Edit: Here it is...
    Re: Steamworks: Steam Cloud

by Justin » Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 am
    I have no idea how hard it is to implement Steam Cloud but here's my definitions of "save game":

- Global stats - What you've unlocked, your high scores, preferences, etc. - This could be on Steam Cloud in theory.
    - Temporary Save - A save on exit that gets deleted as soon as you load it. - Possible if a single game is long enough to justify it.
    - Normal Save Games - Save and load any point of a playthrough. - There's no way this will be in FTL.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My only gripe about the game as it is right now is that the final boss requires you to min/max like to an absurd extent, even if you try it on easy. In a game that is entirely based on random events, there are many playthroughs where it simply becomes unwinnable because you didn't come across the right items/events.

Most of the game's trash is not that difficult, but the difficulty spike between normal enemies and the final boss could almost be depicted with a right-angle on a line graph.

• Options
    Get satisfaction then? http://www.getsatisfaction.com/FTLgame

It is a beta after all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Get satisfaction then? http://www.getsatisfaction.com/FTLgame

It is a beta after all.

I am aware? I did post the beta e-mail and all.

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Wow. Those developers apparently don't have families who can interrupt them... saving the state upon quit should be a non-issue.

But it just shows you what they think of their own game. That is, they're not valuing it very high. So, it's a casual game that's fun to muck around in, and nothing more. Odd for a rogue-like, but why not, I guess.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Yeah it's pretty stupid. I can think of basically no good reason not to allow the typical roguelike save on quit/delete save when loaded.

• Options
    adnprydeadnpryde Registered User regular
    Sure, but that is awful from a "quality of life" standpoint. I also had games today that went well past 45 minutes and I wasn't even 1/4 way through the map, so I don't really buy that argument either.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It's real-time right? If so, is there a way to pause the action?

If there is then I can live without a save game.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Their argument is that it's not needed when a session typically lasts 15-45 minutes.
    Yeah but that's a dumb argument, because

1) Not everyone has 45 uninterrupted minutes to play all the time

and

2) Other people are telling them it is needed so who cares what they think, they have $200k from Kickstarter when they only asked for $10k, I'm sure they can spare the cash it would take to add saved games so that people who have to take care of children or whatever don't get fucked over.

They're being silly. It is just in beta, though, so I'm sure they'll have time to realize their silliness.