As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FTL] Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition and iPad Version coming 2014!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ha ha kids these days with their baggy pants and their hardcores. Hopefully someone with kids convinces them to add a rudimentary save before release.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I am having a hell of a time trying to find Justin's post so I can reply to it, I have kids and it pretty much doesn't let 5 minutes go by uninterrupted or worse - they are a blast :D

Not even a temporary save state would just be terrible. Reminds me of how I used to play multiplayer games that required constant attention, I won't even bother buying most games that are that way now since being AFK is pretty much a instant kick - and I am sure we have all been there with some game or another when the power goes out and you gotta shut things down because your UPS isn't going to last forever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    The outcry seems to be fairly loud and fairly universal, so unless the devs really dig their heels in I don't think we have to worry about whether or not the save & resume will make it in.

I think it'll be quite interesting to see how the kickstarter system affects entitlement and outrage by the community. I mean, I have to admit I would probably join the people with pitchforks and torches if they refused to add a feature like this with some of the 190,000 extra dollars we helped them get.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Hopefully not much outrage. I mean, just because you kicked in some cash doesn't necessarily mean you have a voice in how the game design progresses.

Personally I think the no save works for a game like this, and really, the kids excuse is kind of lame anyway. Regardless I bet they add saves in.

• Options
    How exactly is the kid excuse lame? My kids are very specifically the exact reason why I can't ever be sure I'll have 45, 30, or even 15 minutes of uninterrupted game time anymore.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Hopefully not much outrage. I mean, just because you kicked in some cash doesn't necessarily mean you have a voice in how the game design progresses.

Personally I think the no save works for a game like this, and really, the kids excuse is kind of lame anyway. Regardless I bet they add saves in.

Says the guy without kids. (My guess anyway.)

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    No kids here but until I can step away as required I'm not all that excited to play, which is disappointing. I just don't like that "Trapped in the NES days" draconian saving ideas.

And the whole entitlement/outrage thing, I see it more as if I had bought/preordered this game, I would be just as unhappy about it. Usually you check word of mouth about that sort of thing, but since it was Kickstarter, it was a unknown gamble, and until the saves are in, it feels like a loss for me.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I understand being overly hardcore and difficult is chic these days, but the lack of a save game feature is a serious WTF.

• Options
    Just to be clear, there's a definite distinction between saves that you can fall back to or reload multiple times, and the "temporary saves" as the devs are calling it, which is what I'm yearning for. The temporary saves let you quit & save, but then are obliterated as soon as you reload.

I personally agree that the former is indeed out of the spirit of roguelikes, but the latter is what I hope they add. It's a commonplace feature, and one that seems exceedingly reasonable to expect.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I didn't think you were allowed to make a roguelike without temporary saves.

Seems like an unnecessary dick move. There's literally no reason not to have that.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So I ran out of fuel. I guess I shouldn't have invested in that drone controller but in a previous run I wasn't able to find one in a shop once I had the scrap to buy one so I couldn't resist.

It didn't give me a game over screen, I guess it just exit back to the main screen but is there something I should do to complete this run first?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Without a temporary save, the devs can never expand the game beyond something that lasts for 15 to 45mins. And that makes me sad, i enjoy short roguelikes, but i also love it when you get a great run going that goes on for hours. It also needs an autosave everytime you jump, incase of game crash.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Just to be clear, there's a definite distinction between saves that you can fall back to or reload multiple times, and the "temporary saves" as the devs are calling it, which is what I'm yearning for. The temporary saves let you quit & save, but then are obliterated as soon as you reload.

I personally agree that the former is indeed out of the spirit of roguelikes, but the latter is what I hope they add. It's a commonplace feature, and one that seems exceedingly reasonable to expect.

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of save system I'd like to see implemented. But really, if I can just pause the action it won't be a deal breaker for me, since a game of FTL is short. It just won't be as polished of a game as I'd like.

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'd love to see an exploration mode, perhaps one with a slowly ramping up difficulty as you explore more nodes. Like, you figure out the average scrap you get per node, including any weapons and whatnot, and just plot that to a chart so that you're not just stomping all over 1 shield guys in the first zone.

I understand the wave of badness that follows you, but it makes it very difficult to be ready for the final boss unless you get really lucky. Not to mention it can be a bit of a gamble, I recall one time, I had some time before the red wave hit and thought, "Ok, I'll loop up and around, get some nodes, and jump to the next system just in time." Turns out, when I got to the top of my loop, it was one way, and the node that I thought was close enough to jump to wasn't, so I died horribly. But eh...live and learn.

What's everyone's fav upgrade path? Currently, I'm focusing on shields, 2 shield is normally my first upgrade, but I'm thinking of seeing how maxed engines works out. The Fragile Speedster, if you will.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Being able to turn off the slowing encroaching rebel fleet as a game option would make me so happy, I have fun just exploring and not getting more than 10 or so jumps per system ruins that a bit. It might make the end boss easier, but I don't see a problem with that, every other rogue-like lets you grind levels if you want to make things easier on later floors.

• Options
    I've heard that the boss has 3 modes, and each one is exponentially harder, and it STARTS cuddled right up next to System Shock 2 hard. Has anyone beaten him without hacks or cheats?

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I've heard that the boss has 3 modes, and each one is exponentially harder, and it STARTS cuddled right up next to System Shock 2 hard. Has anyone beaten him without hacks or cheats?

I've gotten really really close, within a few points of dead on the last phase. Without spoiling too much of the boss, you really have to be on the ball with your cloak timing, and I didn't have it up when I needed it.

But this was with a really specific build. Since it's a roguelike, there's a good chance I'll never see that build again for at least a half dozen more playthroughs minimum.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The save attitude is so weird. Quicksave, autosave and save on exit should be mandatory options for any game.

If you want to include a hardcore option, hey, people are into that too (some days I am, some days not), but basic fucking save features? I'm pretty sure that's all but universally expected.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I've been playing it on normal, something like 30 runs in I finally get a good enough start to make it past sector 4. Make it all the way to the end of 7, at which point I've got maxed shields, maxed cloak, maxed reactor+1 energy dude, maxed weapons (Ion Bomb, Breach Bomb, Hull Laser, Pike Beam), engines up to 5 or 6 (wherever diminishing returns starts), my pilot, weapons dude, engine dude, and mantis boarding crew are all skill mastered, and I've got enough drone power slots to run mk2 defense drone and a beam drone.

I click to jump to the next sector, its called "The Last Stand". Oh shit, time to see if I can beat the boss on my first try, because I'm about as maxed out as its possible to be.

Here goes... Game Freezes. FUU

Turns out there is a bug involving quests getting pushed to the next sector. Causes a crash if the next sector is either a nebula or sector 8.

So very very disappointed. :(

Edit: Also for augmentations: Shoot while cloaked, 15% faster weapon recharge, weapons are pre-charged on jump in :(

StuffGuy on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Never made it past sector 3. Got to the last stand finally. Killed before I even got to the mothership.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Not being able to save in any way is a deal breaker for me

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    So I'm late to seeing this thread apparently. Their kickstarter is over; is there no way for me to get access to the beta/demo then at this point?

Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Yeah, you missed out.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    :( Was having a really solid start, good equipment, good people, and then I warped into a nebula and got boarded by 4 rambos who ruthlessly disabled the entire ship before I finally killed that last one. With one guy left, with no health, and all the doors stuck open because my door sector was wrecked, he died making a run for the med bay.

• Options
    :( Was having a really solid start, good equipment, good people, and then I warped into a nebula and got boarded by 4 rambos who ruthlessly disabled the entire ship before I finally killed that last one. With one guy left, with no health, and all the doors stuck open because my door sector was wrecked, he died making a run for the med bay.

increasing door strength is one of the first things I do, with maxed out doors you can normally kill intruders by just opening sections to space, depending on where they warp in obviously.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So I finally managed to beat the final boss.

Anything with a high chance of breach/fire such as fire/breach bombs are amazingly useful:
    Bombs/missiles ignore shields. Breach/fire bombs will not only directly damage a system, but the fact that they cause a hull breach or a fire means that the crew has to remove those before they can even start repairs. This can buy you a lot of time focusing on other systems.

Oxygen systems are a good place to make a quick smack on an enemy to divert crew during this time. The AI is programmed to prioritize the Oxygen system over nearly anything else.

A cloaking and drone system is absolutely required for this fight, as well as the third tier door upgrade. The "fire while cloaked" augment is useful but not a show stopper if you don't have it.

I cleared this fight with the Torus(circle cruiser). I had a heavy ion, a heavy laser II and a breach bomb for weapons. I had some generic Anti-ship I drones for my drone setups. My augments were the default med-bot augment, the "fire while cloaked" augment, and (if i recall) the shield regen augment. I also had a human at the helm, an engi at the weapons/shields, a rockman at the engines and two mantis crew members each guarding the weapons and shields.

Phase 1:
    This first phase is kind of annoying due to the cloak spam, but not especially difficult.

By far the priority is to use breach or fire bombs/missiles to disable the tri-missile launcher(the second turret from the right) as it can ignore shields. If you can kill the crew member manning the turret during this phase, all the better as he doesn't respawn later, and therefore will kill its ability to repair. Save your cloak for whenever the boss fires this turret and you'll avoid getting hit by most of them.

If you have four shields, there's a good chance that they'll never break your shields with just the other three turrets. Focus on getting their shields down(again, breach/fire bombs are great), and the ship will just fall apart from there.

Once you beat this phase, the entire left side of the ship shatters and it loses its cloak module and ion turret.

Phase 2:
    This part can be either not overly difficult or a pain, depending on what turrets the boss summons when it power surges. When the boss power surges a little way into the fight it will summon about 2-6 random drones(chosen between Anti-ship I or Beam drones) in addition to whatever is already out, and it will either be anti-ship drones or beam drones. If they're mostly beam drones, you can quite literally laugh them off as long as you have shields up, as they can't penetrate your shields. If they're anti-ship drones, use your cloak when things are looking bad and allow your shields time to regen.

It's better to have bombs than missiles for this phase, as the boss is protected by a Defense II drone for this phase that has a really high chance of shooting down any missiles.

Again, the priority here is the tri-missile launcher. If you managed to kill the crew member manning it back in phase 1, great. Just give it one good smack to take it down and it won't bother you again. Otherwise the crew member will have regenerated fully for this phase and may cause you to spend extra time on the turret to keep it down.

Take down its shields and then bring the rest of it down. At the end of this phase, the right side of the ship shatters and it loses its drone controls and whatever the turret on the far right was.

Phase 3:
    This is where it gets tricky, and where you really, really want to have the third tier door upgrades. Before even going into this phase, open all airlock doors to any rooms that contain nonessential systems(i.e. not shields/weapons/helm/cloak). Leave them in a vacuum for the entirety of this fight

On this phase, the boss switches tactics to invading your ship with crewmen. The point of leaving the nonessential rooms of the ship in a vacuum is to choke out anything that invades if they are unlucky enough to land in an empty room. The higher level of doors that you have the better off you'll be as the more damage they'll take in the process of trying to break into other rooms. You can get away with them damaging the shield systems some as the boss itself doesn't have a whole lot of direct attacks left, but don't let them take the weapons/cloak/drones. After you kill six invading crewmen, I believe that's the end of what the boss sends you.

The boss will gain an extra layer of shields that also prevents teleporting into it(bombs/crew). You want to strip down that shield layer and then immediately take out either the missile turret again. There's a good chance you'll be hit by a volley of missiles before the shield goes down, there's not much you can do about that - just take it out as soon as it's targetable.

The boss will power surge on this phase again, which will result in one of two events occurring. It will either power its second shields back up, or(more dangerously) will release a volley of ten shots that has a good chance of crippling something on your ship. It is absolutely critical that you have at least some functioning cloak at this time, and immediately use the cloak when you see the projectiles fire. All of the shots will miss as long as you cloak before they impact. The cooldown on this boss ability is long enough that you will always have cloak available as long as you don't waste it on something else.

When you beat the boss oh this phase, you win.

There's a grayed out option to continue playing after you beat the boss, but it's not available for the beta.

So I'm late to seeing this thread apparently. Their kickstarter is over; is there no way for me to get access to the beta/demo then at this point?

Not currently.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Got my beta key in. The no saving thing is truly not a big deal at all. You can pause by hitting the Space bar at any time. If the window loses focus the game auto-pauses. The games are short as well and the game isn't some kind of massive system hog. If you (like me) are a parent or something else is in your life that can take instant priority you just pause the game and come back later.

The lack of a save feature truly hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the game at all.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Drake wrote: »
    Got my beta key in. The no saving thing is truly not a big deal at all. You can pause by hitting the Space bar at any time. If the window loses focus the game auto-pauses. The games are short as well and the game isn't some kind of massive system hog. If you (like me) are a parent or something else is in your life that can take instant priority you just pause the game and come back later.

The lack of a save feature truly hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the game at all.

I'm in full agreement, from what I've played, it just isn't needed; unless you're going to attempt to cheese the game by reloading saves every time something goes bad. I would argue it's worth playing the beta first before complaining about the saves...but who am I kidding, people are going to keep crowing about it until they add it in.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    I think that's the main thing they're a bit worried about. People'll just save-spam the thing. Although I can think of a few ways that you could get around that if you REALLY wanted to make it hard to have people save-spam. Best way I think would be to have saves drop your score exponentially. First time just -10, next -100, then -1000 and so on, so if someone saved and reloaded a bunch they would end up with a score of zero.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I think that's the main thing they're a bit worried about. People'll just save-spam the thing. Although I can think of a few ways that you could get around that if you REALLY wanted to make it hard to have people save-spam. Best way I think would be to have saves drop your score exponentially. First time just -10, next -100, then -1000 and so on, so if someone saved and reloaded a bunch they would end up with a score of zero.
    The only saves that people are really asking for are the typical roguelike saves: it only saves when you quit, and when you load the game it deletes your save.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Such an addictive game, man.

Fought all my way to the end.
    The loss of a vital Mantis brawler two sectors and an additional crew member around the same time, due to inattention and poor planning, was likely the basis of my undoing. The three officers originally dispatched to crew my stealthy frigate died between flame and laser, and the remaining crew, enlisted in an impromptu fashion over the course of our flight from rebel forces, did their best to hold the line within the ship, knowing that the damage our missiles were inflicting could win the day if we just lasted long enough.

In the end, enemy numbers were too great.

A single survivor, a freed slave, barricaded himself in at the helm and attempted to vent the rest of the ship into space. If so many fires hadn't been started, the plan might have worked, and he would have validated the sacrifices of the men who freed him. An incoming volley, and silence. A for effort, little guy.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Such an addictive game, man.

Fought all my way to the end.
    The loss of a vital Mantis brawler two sectors and an additional crew member around the same time, due to inattention and poor planning, was likely the basis of my undoing. The three officers originally dispatched to crew my stealthy frigate died between flame and laser, and the remaining crew, enlisted in an impromptu fashion over the course of our flight from rebel forces, did their best to hold the line within the ship, knowing that the damage our missiles were inflicting could win the day if we just lasted long enough.

In the end, enemy numbers were too great.

A single survivor, a freed slave, barricaded himself in at the helm and attempted to vent the rest of the ship into space. If so many fires hadn't been started, the plan might have worked, and he would have validated the sacrifices of the men who freed him. An incoming volley, and silence. A for effort, little guy.

Wow I really regret missing the funding on this. The beta sounds amazing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    One of my invaluable Zoltan was killed by a direct missile strike at his workstation as he struggled to keep the shields up against an torrent of lasers pouring out of a slaver's barge.

"You didn't die for nothing, little green friend. At least I will rescue a slave who I am sure will be useful for someth-"
    felicity.jpg
    (spoiler'd for revealing recruitable aliens. which may be dumb)

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Engi ship is so much freakin better than the starter ship. You just have to find a good weapon early so you can hard target certain troublesome systems without relying on your drone to do it. Since the damn drone seems to just target piloting and O2.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Isn't this game coming to iPhone/iPad? Considering their attitude on saves, I wouldn't be surprised if the game didn't support multi-tasking. Leaving the game suspended in the background would make due for a "temp save", but the extra drain on my battery is unappreciated.

The total lack of even a temporary save may prevent me from getting this. The devs essentially telling me that I HAVE to devote time to their game and I'm not allowed to pause it until later kind of pisses me off. It's extremely ignorant of them. Life happens and I like my games to accommodate my lifestyle and most devs get this these days.

I was really looking forward to this. Hopefully these kids see the light and give us temp saves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Here is the thing, you don't actually have to be worried at how people play your single player game. It is ok if they play it whatever way they want.

• Options
    Neaden wrote: »
    Here is the thing, you don't actually have to be worried at how people play your single player game. It is ok if they play it whatever way they want.

Goes the other way around though too, as designers they can design the game the way they want and people can either play it or not. As someone who's in the beta, my opinion is saves really aren't needed, it's just not even an issue for me.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Goes the other way around though too, as designers they can design the game the way they want and people can either play it or not. As someone who's in the beta, my opinion is saves really aren't needed, it's just not even an issue for me.

Well, as long as you're happy.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

But it is for many others, and if they make it so it uses the single-load-saves system it doesn't hurt you at all but helps many others enjoy the game more. Crying "But it doesn't affect me so it doesn't matter" just comes off as selfish when the fix wouldn't either.

Anyway, I finally got a bit of time to play today. Made it to the final sector, doing great, and I ran through my rather large missile supply before I even made it to the boss, which I was counting on as my main shield-busters so attrition finally wore me down. Must either hunt down more beam weapons or figure a way to stockpile several dozen missiles.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

The counterargument is that games are essentially a collection of things you are not allowed to do constructed in a manner to produce an enjoyable experience. In this sense, certain rules exist to prevent a player from taking actions that would make the game less fun for them. If, for instance, a developer is of the opinion that savescumming makes the game is less fun for the players inclined to savescum, then preventing savescumming would be a valid design decision, even though it's "worrying about how people play your single player game". Similarly, if they are convinced that turning their game into a piecemeal affair would ruin it, then blocking even temporary saves would be valid. That argument is harder to make, however, when your game is long enough that there is a chunk of players who cannot devote the time necessary to complete it in one sitting.