As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FTL] Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition and iPad Version coming 2014!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's still the case as it has been a few months, but for the final boss(and most of the game),
    Breach bombs are seriously the most overpowered thing you can have besides cloak(although the encounter is balanced around the expectation that you'll have cloak). If you plant breach bombs starting with the missile turret at the beginning of the first phase, and keep that turret room split open, you can eventually kill that one crew member that's there by suffocation, which is difficult to do any other way. From there, target the turret when the shields go down and take it out. Since the turret chamber is completely isolated, the crew can't repair it, and that dead crew member doesn't respawn on later phases, so that turret is pretty much out of the fight.

The loss of the missile turret is pretty crippling to the mothership's offensive capabilities and it makes the rest of the encounters vastly easier.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    You can do the same with boarding parties. Just don't do what I did and accidentally finish the first stage with them still on the ship. It FTLs away, and they die.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I don't know if it's still the case as it has been a few months, but for the final boss(and most of the game),
    Breach bombs are seriously the most overpowered thing you can have besides cloak(although the encounter is balanced around the expectation that you'll have cloak). If you plant breach bombs starting with the missile turret at the beginning of the first phase, and keep that turret room split open, you can eventually kill that one crew member that's there by suffocation, which is difficult to do any other way. From there, target the turret when the shields go down and take it out. Since the turret chamber is completely isolated, the crew can't repair it, and that dead crew member doesn't respawn on later phases, so that turret is pretty much out of the fight.

The loss of the missile turret is pretty crippling to the mothership's offensive capabilities and it makes the rest of the encounters vastly easier.

Urgh. I finished the first phase with this ship:
    AlmostVictorious.jpg

And here's how I did it!
    Boarding parties. Seriously. Those weapons aren't connected to the rest of the ship, so I was able to beam my human crew over to the weapons, one at a time, and beat the crap out of the single crewman in there, then disable the turret and beam my guys back to get some first aid. Rinse and repeat for the other turrets.

To actually do any damage, tough, I was forced to whittle it down the hard way. Boarding parties weren't working, since when I sent my guys over, the ones I'd end up fighting would rotate out for healthy guys and I'd have to pull out, then both sides would heal up again. Instead I fired my Burst Lasers, hope they all connected, then use the Halberd Beam to carve a brief chunk out of its hide before the shields came back up. I did it, though, and it left!

However, when I chased it down, all the turrets healed back up (without crew, just back up to grey) and it missiled me to Kingdom Come without so much as a how-do-you-do. Damn damn damn!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • kafuskafus Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Guys, there is possibility to download this game or i have to wait till 14 sept? YEARS OF WAITING!! :(( maybe somebody can take me link or setup to my mail?

kafus on
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So I've unlocked a number of ships now, are they all done via random events in game?

Prime on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    kafus wrote: »
    Guys, there is possibility to download this game or i have to wait till 14 sept? YEARS OF WAITING!! :(( maybe somebody can take me link or setup to my mail?
    3 days...

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Have they said what it would cost or did I miss it in this thread?

• PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Ten bucks American. More details here-ish.

brig_banner.png
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    There is something about this game that actually makes me turn it off quicker then others of its type. With the binding of isaac, I can die and start over 15/20 times in a row. FTL actually makes me angry and turn it off after 5-8 goes.

Thinking about it, I think its the lack of direct control, I like being in control and it makes me angry when I loose after 15-20min for no reason other then the RNG giving me the finger......woa thats £££ worth of therapy in a <£10 game. Bargin.

But it does keep me coming back to it, just small (painful) bites at a time.

Prime on
    I know the feeling. Just had an incredible run end due to my own stupidity. I had the weapon pre-charger, plus a beam weapon that did 3 damage per room and had a decently long line. Most ships died before they could even pget a shot off.

The ones that didn't slowly wore me away, because my defenses sucked. And I forgot to check my HP when I hit a store. Boom.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Enemies with a Fire Beam encountered in a nebula can fuck off and die.
    <3

I stay as far away as possible from any power-reducing areas for reasons like that.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Just realized I'll get off work on Friday, have the next four days off, and this will be awaiting me when I get in the door. *glee*

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Nebulas are a god send, anything that slows down those Rebels is my favourite thing ever, more encounters means more scrap means more to pimp my ride and get experience for the crew.

steam_sig.png
    Well. It's pretty hard to pimp your ride when you have fires raging through your major systems, killing crew and sucking up the oxygen. While your sensors don't work on top of all that.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I just run the place with the doors open most of the time anyways :P

steam_sig.png
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    So, I got the ??? ship. How I got it:
    So, I found this damaged stasis pod. I then hopped over to a Zoltan sector, and I got one of those random 'Zoltan Scientists want to scan your crew' events. However, this time there was a blue option of 'Fix this pod.'
    When the pod was fixed, a rock dude came out, except it wasn't a rock dude, it was a crystalline one. They can lock down rooms with an activated ability, 125 health, slower O2 starvation rate, and 1/4 move speed reduction.
    The ship itself is BALLER. 4 crew members, layout is god awful (there's a hallway connecting both ends of the ship.) Has 2 special starting weapons. and a special equipment mod, that when you take damage, you can reflect some back.

League of Legends:Varega
  • johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    any tried the game on a netbook yet? Would be nice to have this game on the road.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    GoG.com will have the game (hours) before Steam.

http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=397

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Kinda annoyed I can't plop down my $10 tonight on Steam and have it available when I get home from work tomorrow (~22 hours from now). Ah well.

• johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    It is available at the FTL website and GOG.com now.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Kinda annoyed I can't plop down my $10 tonight on Steam and have it available when I get home from work tomorrow (~22 hours from now). Ah well.

It's a whopping 149 MB, so it shouldn't be too bad :)

• BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    Hyyyype. I just played a couple games and now I'm hooked.

Brainchow.png
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Damn you Hypeno-toad.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    I just got paid 10 bucks in pay pal money today for reviewing a bunch of iPad games. I think I'm gonna invest in this game and see if I can't shoe horn my way into the world of indie game reviewing.

Does anyone else feel this is everything we wanted "Starflight" to be?

Does anyone even remember Starflight?

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    46E2D7EA23AF31640391501F9D9200AB288750ED

This was a glorious battle!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man. First game I was down to one guy due to some mantis boarding party. Got a second guy at a store then after a battle I was fixing up the ship in a nebula. Noticed my med bay was damaged sent a guy in. No air. Ran out. Checked the doors, all closed. I guess there was a hull breach in there. How do you fix those?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Have a person stand in there as normal. Hull breaches are cracks in the floor. Repairs go breaches then systems.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    You have to send someone in to repair it, the same way other systems get repaired. Only problem is they'll lose health due to the breach sucking out oxygen.

steam_sig.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Man. First game I was down to one guy due to some mantis boarding party. Got a second guy at a store then after a battle I was fixing up the ship in a nebula. Noticed my med bay was damaged sent a guy in. No air. Ran out. Checked the doors, all closed. I guess there was a hull breach in there. How do you fix those?
    Just send a dude in, he'll repair the floor. Keep the doors open, it'll help a little.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    First game score: 232

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Send someone in to fix it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The problem was that both guys were low health and neither could repair the breach before they died.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea, i am still amazed how one run i can get into the second sector, and then the next round, die in the first encounter

camo_sig.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    First game, I get to the final battle with full hull, 6 crew (of which the ones in charge of weapons, shields, engines, and piloting were at max experience), the standard 3-shot laser, a 2-shot hull laser, a smart bomb, a fire beam, full shields, two weapon recharge reducers, 55% evasion...

...and then just as battle was about to commence, the game shut down. No crash message or anything. God fucking dammit.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The problem was that both guys were low health and neither could repair the breach before they died.
    Send 'em to medbay to get patched up first.

jdarksun wrote: »
    10:1 that the breach was in the medbay, in true FTL fashion.

• FanaticalistFanaticalist Registered User regular
    Lesson number one: Stop shooting at a ship after you board it.

captaink wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    10:1 that the breach was in the medbay, in true FTL fashion.

This is indeed the case as stated in his post.

Seal off the Medbay and set the controls for the heart of the sun. Trust me. It's better that way.

This is also why Repair Drones are worth twice their weight in Space Gold.