As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FTL] Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition and iPad Version coming 2014!

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Nothing quite as fun as trying to fix a hull breach in the O2 room while fires blaze in your medical center and door controls.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    As long as you can find a store selling teleporters or drone control thingies.

Also, the crew member situation is always an issue for me.

Curse of the RNG, unfortunately - I've reached the final area once so far, but was then obliterated because my defences weren't high enough.

Also, when you get a hull breach, can you fix it? I was trying out the ring-shaped ship and my drone control room got permanently de-pressurised so I didn't have any weapons.

Breaches will be fixed if you have someone in the room, before they'll work on the systems in the room. The room will lose air at a fair pace, however, you can fight against this by opening the doors to air filled rooms, hopefully allowing you to keep people in there long enough to fix the problem.

Also, unlike repairing system, hull breaches don't lose repair progress if you move the crew that is fixing them out of the room. They keep their progress.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    System repairs don't lose progress either ... ?

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    System repairs lose progress (towards the next bar) if ever the room is unoccupied. Same goes for boarding damage.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Seems cool, but you can't link that here. Probably ought to edit that out.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    we arent allowed to link to kickstarters? sorry will remove it.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Do shields have to be down for teleporters to work? I hate to be that nerd, but it seems weird that they work despite raised shields. I lost my first real campaign due to being boarded multiple times. The last one killed all 4 of my crew members with only 2 mantis boarders. Should I upgrade my doors as a priority?

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Normal Shields don't prevent teleporters, but the Zoltan Shield does. At least one door upgrade is a very high priority. I like to vent out the rooms the invaders are in and force them to fight me in the medbay if I can't asphyxiate them outright.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    greeble wrote: »
    Normal Shields don't prevent teleporters, but the Zoltan Shield does. At least one door upgrade is a very high priority. I like to vent out the rooms the invaders are in and force them to fight me in the medbay if I can't asphyxiate them outright.

So if I get boarded I should open all the doors except the Medbay and cram everyone in there? It sounds crazy enough to work.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    What you vent depends on the ship layout, the enemy weapons and where the boarders are.

Venting O2 or any of the surrounding rooms is asking for trouble against enemies with breach or missile weapons, for example.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Oh, hi FTL thread. You might be interested in this information about a big FTL update next year:
    We’ve been working hard over the summer and are excited to finally officially announce a free expansion, FTL: Advanced Edition! FTL: AE is a huge content addition that includes new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more. Here are some details on just a few of the additions visible in the trailer:
    • Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
    • Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
    • New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
    • New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
    • And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which we’ll be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks!
    • In addition to new content, we’ve continued to polish FTL and add some of the most requested small features. As a few examples: you’ll be able to save your crew positions and send them back to battle-stations, save and quit during combat, and find more items for purchase in stores.

For the purists out there, FTL vanilla will still be available. All of the new content can be disabled from within the hangar before starting a new game.

edit: also, iPad version coming too.

SteevL on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    How shameful is it that I play this almost exclusively on easy, and I've still only unlocked like 2 ships.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    not shameful at all. easy mode is like normal difficulty

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    All this talk of trains running off rails has me hankering for some Stone Soup.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Only ever played on the standard difficulty. You label a difficulty option "easy", I will stubbornly never choose it no matter how many times I fail horribly.

Woo! Avellone.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    This makes me very happy. I would love to play FTL on the iPad. System seller for the Air, right there!

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    YES! This expansion is going to be so good.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    How shameful is it that I play this almost exclusively on easy, and I've still only unlocked like 2 ships.

If I were shogun I would order your whole clan to commit seppuku.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Time for a new thread?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

If I were shogun I would order your whole clan to commit seppuku.

Leaving him on the run. A ronin.

With nothing to live for but revenge.

Kowokashi udekashi tsukamatsuru.

• Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    I can tell you personally they are working on many things right now, some of which I don't believe I can outright discuss. I know that I can tell you there are updates coming to the base game, most of which is going through tweaks and rigorous balance testing. For being such a small team, much like the original release, the next patch will bring several things which is requiring a considerable amount of effort and time to polish.

The mystery is finally unveiled then. FANTASTIC news, although it still baffles me that this is being given away (in a nice baffling way).

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    If you like your FTL you can keep your FTL, period.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Oh man. So many hours into this game. A new actual expansion pack that... expands the game? holy crap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If you like your FTL you can keep your FTL, period.

Nice.
    I PM'd you, but if they need testing help, just let me know. It's about 30% of my day job, so I'm decent at it. In the words of my developers "schuss, you can break anything"

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    SteevL wrote: »
    Oh, hi FTL thread. You might be interested in this information about a big FTL update next year:
    We’ve been working hard over the summer and are excited to finally officially announce a free expansion, FTL: Advanced Edition! FTL: AE is a huge content addition that includes new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more. Here are some details on just a few of the additions visible in the trailer:
    • Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
    • Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
    • New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
    • New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
    • And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which we’ll be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks!
    • In addition to new content, we’ve continued to polish FTL and add some of the most requested small features. As a few examples: you’ll be able to save your crew positions and send them back to battle-stations, save and quit during combat, and find more items for purchase in stores.

For the purists out there, FTL vanilla will still be available. All of the new content can be disabled from within the hangar before starting a new game.

edit: also, iPad version coming too.

avel...avellone!?

oooooh maaaaaan.

more excited about this update than i am with xcom enemy within.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    My boner just breached the hull.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    welp

there goes all my free time

• Options
    Fanda wrote: »

But is it on fire.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Fanda wrote: »
    But is it on fire.
    If it is, that's one way to put it out.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Man, a free expansion with quests by Avellone AND haxoring weapons? Pardon me while I squee and dance about in joy. Heh, I will be breaking out my Linux laptop for just this, since I have my Crystal ship unlocked there (and not on my windows machine, alas.) Hmmm, I will set myself a personal goal of beating the game at least once (on Easy or Normal) with every ship (Both A and B ) before the expansion comes out. Also, Mantises + Engis continue to be awesome when it comes to crew members. Humans are chumps. Even slugs are better than humans.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I bet slugs will have an affinity for mind-control shit.

No word on new races/racial tweaks and perks?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was totally going to be down on this update (just the additional items / weapons) because shops have such limited inventory.

Then I read that shops will sell more. So now I've gone from excited to stoked.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    iPad version? I'll Never get anything done ever again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    So, I haven't played in a bit, decided to give it a go on easy.

First encouter, 4 man boarding party. Killed my oxygen, half killed my crew. Crew couldn't over-heal oxygen deprivation, so I wiped. On the first encounter. On easy(I've beaten the game many times).

FTL, I love you.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I am so, so stoked for an iPad version. This game and card hunter on iPad would handle my portable gaming for a good long time

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea i would totally buy it again if they had an android version

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Its very cool they are giving us another update. I feel like I would be more ecstatic though if they announced they were making FTL 2, I think they have done more than enough for this awesome game and the gamers that play it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    In addition to that, I kind of wish they would give us proper Steam achievements, although I know they said a long time ago that they had tried and they just couldn't get it to work properly.