As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is my dog up to? Also, cuteness overload advisory.

RiusRius Globex CEONobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, this is our new dog, she is a blue heeler/terrier mix and is about 2 years old. We've had her for a couple of months now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f33UdmoYczk

She'll also behave like this occasionally with frozen string beans, small ice cubes and even her regular food if it escapes her bowl.

Is she just playing with her food in the cutest way possible or is there something else going on here?

Rius on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Man is she excited or what.

It's a play behavior if I remember, sort of like pouncing on toys with cats. Also, with no sound, it's still hilariously cute. I don't think I'd worry, though you can always ask your vet.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    yeah, that's no big deal at all. She's sort of marking the food as hers and playing with it a bit, is all. My Akita does this with bones, and toys too.

"Rawr, this is miiiine!"

Unless she's growling at you and being possessive of whatever it is, just enjoy her being silly. If she IS growling and being possessive, take it from her and make her obey you before she gets it back.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    she is just playing with her food in the cutest way possible

This is the answer

Also ohgoodnesscuteohgoodnesseeeeeeeeeesocuuute

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    lookit that little tail wagging like crazy eeeeeeee

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Mad Dog Disease.

No, she is fine.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    She is probably trying to bite down on whatever it is to chew it, but faces the perennial dog problem of not having lips and therefore not being able to open her jaw to do so without dropping it. The fact that it always seems to be getting away triggers a play/chase response.

My dog used to do this with grapes, which are even more fun (until you get bored of being hit by flying slobbery grapes) because they're slippery and round, so even if she did manage to close her jaws on it there was a 50/50 chance of it just being ejected from her mouth at great speed.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dogs are the greatest.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    She is probably trying to bite down on whatever it is to chew it, but faces the perennial dog problem of not having lips and therefore not being able to open her jaw to do so without dropping it. The fact that it always seems to be getting away triggers a play/chase response.

My dog used to do this with grapes, which are even more fun (until you get bored of being hit by flying slobbery grapes) because they're slippery and round, so even if she did manage to close her jaws on it there was a 50/50 chance of it just being ejected from her mouth at great speed.

I used to love watching my former roomie's dog attempt to eat grapes. But then she told me she heard grapes were bad for dogs, so I had to stop. :(

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww this dog is the best

My dobies did this with ice cubes and were also adorable

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ImriayldeImriaylde Registered User regular
    She's killing it. Would you want to eat live food?

Also, omgit'sfullofadorable.

• Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhhhh sodamncutei'minpain! Also, yeah my parent's first dog did stuff like this. Totally normal dog silliness.

sig.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Very much play behavior. This is what happy dogs do.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

I used to love watching my former roomie's dog attempt to eat grapes. But then she told me she heard grapes were bad for dogs, so I had to stop. :(

To get off topic mildly grapes are bad for dogs in much the same way chocolate is bad for dogs, meaning it depends on weight. I believe it's something like an ounce of grapes per pound of dog weight can be distressing? Not sure that's an exact amount but a handful of grapes for a medium size dog is ok occasionally, just like that same dog eating a handful of M&Ms is ok but you don't want to do it every day.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Chocolate is also dark chocolate or bakers chocolate. Processed milk chocolate will, at worst, give most dogs a tiny tummy ache. It's the unrefined stuff that makes them sick, and yes it's per weight.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm not sure if it needs saying or not, but I'll say it anyways: don't feed your dog chocolate. If he ate a bag of chocolate check this chart to see if you need to go to the emergency vet immediately or if it might be something you could take more of a wait and see attitude.

Djeet on
  • Options
    SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    Milk chocolate is less bad for dogs than dark chocolate, cocoa powder is the worst thing they can get into. You don't feed your dog chocolate because they LIKE chocolate and will totally take great pains to obtain more, which is obviously bad. Since EVERYONE'S dog will at some time get into something it shouldn't, it's better for that thing to be something that is less likely than chocolate to kill the dog.

• Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    Your dog plays with her food almost the exact same way my dog plays with his ice cubes. Which is to say, adorably.