As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GOP Primaries] WI, MD, DC 4/3. Sponsored by cheese, crab cakes, and murder, respectively.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think that's his point. Why should he get the extra protection of the secret service above what private citizens receive?
    Because they are more likely to get shot at.

But that isn’t the only qualification. Beyonce isn’t receiving secret service protection, nor is Selena Gomez who has received death threats.

If the qualification for getting secret service protection is being a candidate for president from one of the two major parties, I think I have a problem with that. The two major parties should not be receiving favorable treatment from the government.

Now I don’t know if that’s why Ron Paul has a problem with them. I didn’t read the rest of his statement.

The qualification is that if certain people, like say the president or his family, are assassinated it would be disastrous for the nation. You can't properly run a representative government if representatives aren't protected from whackjobs. See: any country with active drug cartels.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Roz wrote: »
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/democrats-flip-after-romney-advisors-compares-campaign-to-etch-a-sketch.php?ref=fpa
    ...Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom today about how his candidate plans to handle the general election.

Fehrnstrom was asked on CNN Wednesday whether he was concerned that Romney’s prolonged fight with Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum would force him to “tack so far to the right it would hurt him with moderate voters in the general election.”

“Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign,” Fehrnstrom responded. “Everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch-A-Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all of over again.”
    How are they so fucking bad at this?

Because the Romney campaign fires people who attempt to adhere to concepts like "reality" and "winning".
    Oh, this is totally adhering to reality.

It's just not something you actually say. And of course, when the general rolls around, people will have forgotten about this.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Newt Gingrich has a question for Robert De Niro: You making fun of my wife?

The GOP presidential candidate took issue with a racial joke that De Niro made at a Tribeca fund-raiser he hosted for Michelle Obama Monday night — and the First Lady agreed.

Addressing a starry exclusive crowd in the back room of Locanda Verde, De Niro deadpanned: “Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?”

The NYC crowd roared its approval, but Gingrich did not appreciate the humor. During a campaign stop in Shreveport, La., on Tuesday, he blasted the actor and called for the President to apologize on his behalf.

“I think Robert De Niro is wrong,” Gingrich said at the top of his speech at Strawn’s Eat Shop. “I think the country is ready for a new First Lady, and he doesn’t have to describe it in racial terms.”

Gingrich described De Niro’s comment as “beyond the pale,” adding: “I call on the President to apologize for him.”

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    OBAMA APOLOGIZES FOR AMERICA DE NIRO

• Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    Gingrich described De Niro’s comment as “beyond the pale,” adding: “I call on the President to apologize for him."

What does it mean???

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Oh no, the white guy's a racist about white people. Someone call the church elders!

Fuck off, Grinch.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    Now for people to start photoshopping.

Someone needs to do a split screen with the iconic moon/american flag photo and Newt.
    However, the american flag should be an etch a sketch.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Is that an article from The Onion?

That cannot be real.

Nope, it's a thing.

Also, Absalon, this is what happens when you dehumanize a minority. They tend to not vote for you anymore.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Now for people to start photoshopping.

Someone needs to do a split screen with the iconic moon/american flag photo and Newt.
    However, the american flag should be an etch a sketch.

Bonus points if the etch a sketch has a drawing of a moon base.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Oh no, the white guy's a racist about white people. Someone call the church elders!

Fuck off, Grinch.

Ah, there's the handwaving I look forward to seeing in these threads. It sustains me.

How about we give DeNiro a medal for his brave comments against the primary candidates while we're at it? That'll really shut Gingrich up.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Fuck off, Grinch.

Ah, there's the handwaving I look forward to seeing in these threads. It sustains me.

How about we give DeNiro a medal for his brave comments against the primary candidates while we're at it? That'll really shut Gingrich up.

What handwaving?

What's even controversial about anything he said?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Fuck off, Grinch.

For the record, there's nothing racist about DeNiro's joke. It was funny and topical because it takes an expected and racist joke "Black man in a White House" and turns it on its head.

Gingrich is being a big fat baby about it. A big fat honky baby.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/democrats-flip-after-romney-advisors-compares-campaign-to-etch-a-sketch.php?ref=fpa
    ...Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom today about how his candidate plans to handle the general election.

Fehrnstrom was asked on CNN Wednesday whether he was concerned that Romney’s prolonged fight with Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum would force him to “tack so far to the right it would hurt him with moderate voters in the general election.”

“Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign,” Fehrnstrom responded. “Everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch-A-Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all of over again.”

Because the Romney campaign fires people who attempt to adhere to concepts like "reality" and "winning".

They can at least try sticking to one of those concepts at least, as a gentle start to embracing both. I can't recommend they start on this side of the spectrum though:

220px-Charlie_Sheen_March_2009.JPG

• Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Fuck off, Grinch.

Ah, there's the hand waving I look forward to seeing in these threads. It sustains me.

lol, oh man.

Actor makes fun of the leaders of a party with overtly racist members by paraphrasing what was said about the Obama's last election cycle and those leaders are a) so tone deaf they don't realize he is calling them out on it or b) trying to further their already blatant southern strategy by calling reverse racism. hmm wonder which one it could be.

HAND WAVE!
    with-a-wave-of-the-hand_1.jpg

Dajian on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Newt Gingrich has a question for Robert De Niro: You making fun of my wife?

The GOP presidential candidate took issue with a racial joke that De Niro made at a Tribeca fund-raiser he hosted for Michelle Obama Monday night — and the First Lady agreed.

Addressing a starry exclusive crowd in the back room of Locanda Verde, De Niro deadpanned: “Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?”

The NYC crowd roared its approval, but Gingrich did not appreciate the humor. During a campaign stop in Shreveport, La., on Tuesday, he blasted the actor and called for the President to apologize on his behalf.

“I think Robert De Niro is wrong,” Gingrich said at the top of his speech at Strawn’s Eat Shop. “I think the country is ready for a new First Lady, and he doesn’t have to describe it in racial terms.”

Gingrich described De Niro’s comment as “beyond the pale,” adding: “I call on the President to apologize for him.”

"My name is Newt Gingrich, and I missed the point of the joke entirely."

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Fuck off, Grinch.

For the record, there's nothing racist about DeNiro's joke. It was funny and topical because it takes an expected and racist joke "Black man in a White House" and turns it on its head.

Gingrich is being a big fat baby about it. A big fat honky baby.

The joke was funny and it was racist. It was a tiny blip on the racist radar so I don't care and I know full-well ol' Newt is feigning outrage.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Newt gives his etch a sketch to a little girl, says "you could now be a presidential candidate."

Also: http://www.etchasketchmittromney.com/

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Does he know that secret service also safeguards the currency?

The currency that's worthless because it's founded on magic?

I think it's safe to assume when the question "Does Ron Paul know/understand X" about the government comes up the answer is no.

Even if Paul did correctly understand it the answer would still be no IMO.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Fuck off, Grinch.

What handwaving?

What's even controversial about anything he said?

It's another stirring example of emnmnme false equivalence theater. It's kind of his thing.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Newt gives his etch a sketch to a little girl, says "you could now be a presidential candidate."

A. That was quick.

B. Finally. All his flip-flopping in a medium that I am familiar with and interested in.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

I'm kind of sad that this domain wasn't snatched up by someone who was going to take the time to do it as a flash application that shook the etchasketch every time you clicked for a new example of his position reversals.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

I'm kind of sad that this domain wasn't snatched up by someone who was going to take the time to do it as a flash application that shook the etchasketch every time you clicked for a new example of his position reversals.

They should also cite the quotes

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

That is win of wins.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Good point. It's kind of "Jimmy's first political website" all the way around.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

This makes me think that the Romney campaign paid for and produce the 'Real Mitt Romney' video.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Good point. It's kind of "Jimmy's first political website" all the way around.

He was trying to be quick. Matt Ortega has some other Mitt sites like http://www.multiplechoicemitt.com/ that are cited and all.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure websites can be edited and improved upon.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    This thread has made me deeply question my understanding of what hand waiving actually means.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well if you Waive your hands, you won't have them anymore...

Edit: Bad joke is bad sorry.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Handwave (verb): When someone you don't agree with doesn't find a thing someone else you don't agree with has done as annoying as you do.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    So while the Etch-a-Sketch thing is hilarious, in substantive "HOW ARE YOU SO BAD AT THIS?" news, Romney endorsed Ryan's poor people need to be morally improved by rich people stealing all their money budget.

• Options
    Could you link to that please, bum?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    "Happy to see Etch A Sketch, an American classic toy, is DRAWING attention with political candidates as a cultural icon and important piece of our society," said Nicole Gresh, spokeswoman for the manufacturer. "A profound toy, highly recognized and loved by all, is now SHAKING up the national debate. Nothing is as quintessentially American as Etch A Sketch and a good old fashion political debate.”

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Off-topic, what scares me about modern technology is that tablets are about the size of an Etch-A-Sketch.

• Options
    I wonder what percentage of high school students today have ever seen an etchasketch in person.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    There will be a day when you refer to "Etch A Sketch" and children will think you mean an App for their tablet that replicates what the "Etch A Sketch" did.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    "Happy to see Etch A Sketch, an American classic toy, is DRAWING attention with political candidates as a cultural icon and important piece of our society," said Nicole Gresh, spokeswoman for the manufacturer. "A profound toy, highly recognized and loved by all, is now SHAKING up the national debate. Nothing is as quintessentially American as Etch A Sketch and a good old fashion political debate.”

Nicole Gresh is my new hero.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Etch a Sketch is quite clever, it uses similar technology to what the kindle uses. Although clearly the kindle is more advanced.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln