As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heya! It's me Imoen!

1356740

Posts

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Thanks to a certain someone I am now in possession of both BG1&2 and am paying attention to the tips and tricks being mentioned here.

    Basically because I don't want to become Bear Chow(R).

    oh man there are some mods you should get

    technical:

    http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-widescreen.html


    optional:

    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=161&Itemid=114
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=101&Itemid=80


  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Thanks to a certain someone I am now in possession of both BG1&2 and am paying attention to the tips and tricks being mentioned here.

    Basically because I don't want to become Bear Chow(R).

    My tips and tricks are thus:

    Play BG1 through BGTutu (EDIT: Rolo's link is better); this is the only type of 'mod' I like to install, as it really just pretties up BG1 and makes it a little nicer to play (the low resolution is a little painful on modern day screens otherwise)

    Do consult gamefaqs... unfortunately sometimes getting the best experience out of the BG series does require a little extra knowledge. I mostly use faqs for knowing where to pick up certain items that you can later transform into good armour/weapons

    I, personally, do not like to mod my game in any way; I'm perfectly happy with the original games. BUT, if I do anything, it's cheat some boots of speed in. Otherwise things can move laboriously slowly at times

    Janson on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    have we all agreed that icewind dale 2 is the best one of these games

    because,

  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    have we all agreed that icewind dale 2 is the best one of these games

    because,
    kiss me

    on the mouth

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    have we all agreed that icewind dale 2 is the best one of these games

    because,

    BOO THIRD EDITION

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kensai/Mage dual wielding Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages. Celestial Fury can replace either if you don't have it, generally Crom Faeyr since it takes a white to get hold of.

    You can kill the horrible Red Dragon by yourself with that build

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I am disappointed when any game is not baldur's gate.

    My main complaint with DA2 was that it became less baldur's gate than the first game, and so I hated it.

    Do you want to be my new best friend?

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Icewind Dale 2 is kind of the worst game on the Infinity Engine

    Which isn't to say it's bad, but everything else is so much better

  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    I can't comment on Icewind Dale. Everyone at the time had a boner for being a dual wielding dark elf named Dritz(sp?). That turned me off a little and I never got around to it. I should probably look into going through the series in stead of playing the 460th FPS game.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Kensai/Mage dual wielding Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages. Celestial Fury can replace either if you don't have it, generally Crom Faeyr since it takes a white to get hold of.

    You can kill the horrible Red Dragon by yourself with that build

    I've never done a kensai/mage build, despite it being frequently recommended.

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Update: The code has changed, adding "Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all."

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I love the Forgotten Realms so so much

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Maybe you play another of Bhaal's Children?

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i remember having a drow thief/illusionist

    absurdly powerful

  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I played through IWD exactly once, then never touched it again. Maybe the ability to make your whole party made it feel like there was nothing else to experiment with.

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Meiz wrote: »
    I can't comment on Icewind Dale. Everyone at the time had a boner for being a dual wielding dark elf named Dritz(sp?). That turned me off a little and I never got around to it. I should probably look into going through the series in stead of playing the 460th FPS game.

    Aside from the setting, Icewind Dale has nothing to do with Drizzt and his ilk. At least not as far as I remember.

    I totally understand the hesitance though! Also it's a much more dungeon-crawl-y game than the BG series is.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I

    LOVE

    BALDUR'S GATE

    YOU ARE WRONG

    I

    ROLO

    AM THE BIG BALDUR'S GATE FAN

    BEHOLD MY VAST LET'S PLAY SERIES

    WITH CLASSIC SINGLE PLAYER AND CUSTOM MULTIPLAYER PARTIES FOR ALL TASTES



    Do you... do you actually have this? I would be interested in watching.

    oh god only like three pages of it ever got done

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/58871/lets-play-bg2-planar-sphere-the-sequel-to-planar-cube

    at some point I will need to resurrect my netbook and pry my save files out of it

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    These were great games for sure. But I don't get all the excitement for continuing to use the infinity engine for another game. The games kicked ass because they did a great job telling a great story. Surely they can give us another excellent story in the same vein but with a game engine that's at least somewhat updated.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Maybe you play another of Bhaal's Children?

    impossible, I think

    the player character and balthazar killed everyone, which was why it was possible to become a god using the full extent of the essence at the end of ToB

    I guess the new character could die during the war in ToB or something

    thenews.jpg
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I tried playing BG and Planescape. I couldn't get into either of them.

    I loved Icewind Dale 1 & 2.

    My friend was looking over my shoulder as I was sorting my inventory at the end of the game for what to take with me for the next playthrough. The tower my party was in was shrieking out it's imminent collapse.

    My friend says, "Might I remind you of the impending doom?"

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    have we all agreed that icewind dale 2 is the best one of these games

    because,

    What

    no

    I grew sooo bored with Icewind Dale 2

    At first I was like, 'hey I can create my perfect party! Sweet!'

    and then I was like

    'man this is really boring with no party banter or interaction'

    also

    'wow I am just other people's bitch in this game'

  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    These were great games for sure. But I don't get all the excitement for continuing to use the infinity engine for another game. The games kicked ass because they did a great job telling a great story. Surely they can give us another excellent story in the same vein but with a game engine that's at least somewhat updated.

    no we can recapture our childhood don't take that awayyyyy

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    being able to create your entire party was the biggest appeal for me!

    i got to completely customize what roles i had, and what equipment i used

    it was sweet

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Kensai/Mage dual wielding Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages. Celestial Fury can replace either if you don't have it, generally Crom Faeyr since it takes a white to get hold of.

    You can kill the horrible Red Dragon by yourself with that build

    I've never done a kensai/mage build, despite it being frequently recommended.

    It's stupidly powerful

    As in, the game actually becomes trivial. You just memorise a bunch of buffs, loads yourself up, and run around killing everything with ease.

    I left my party at the entrance to the Illithid city, because they were a liability. Just rolled around with my dude by himself, murdering everything. Make sure you have a couple of breaches in case you run into a wizard, and you are basically set.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If someone wants to just plough through the game and enjoy all the stories without any problem, then play a Kensai/Mage. It's tough until you multiclass, then you are horrifying.

    If you actually want to lovely tactical combat to be lovely and tactical though, stay away. Play a regular wizard, cause it's much more fun.

    The exception is if you install one of the super-tough enemies mods. If you have them in, and you don't play a Kensai/Mage with a carefully tricked out party, them you will simply die all the time.

    Solar on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    These were great games for sure. But I don't get all the excitement for continuing to use the infinity engine for another game. The games kicked ass because they did a great job telling a great story. Surely they can give us another excellent story in the same vein but with a game engine that's at least somewhat updated.
    I agree, I did love the infinity engine, but would also love to see an updated engine.

    However, to do another game with the scope of the BG series would be very expensive, I think! Part of Dragon Age II's problem was that you had one city and about 2 total dungeons. I have no problem re-using the infinity engine if it means concentrating more resources on developing great party members, an expansive world and detailed plot.

  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    being able to create your entire party was the biggest appeal for me!

    i got to completely customize what roles i had, and what equipment i used

    it was sweet

    If you play BG2 in multiplayer mode but with no other people you can make your whole party too, if that's your thing.

  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    oh man

    as much as i loved the infinity engine, i would be fine if they just made something infinity-engine-like

    i would have liked Dragon Age a lot more if the camera and character movement was more like BG

    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    These were great games for sure. But I don't get all the excitement for continuing to use the infinity engine for another game. The games kicked ass because they did a great job telling a great story. Surely they can give us another excellent story in the same vein but with a game engine that's at least somewhat updated.
    I agree, I did love the infinity engine, but would also love to see an updated engine.

    However, to do another game with the scope of the BG series would be very expensive, I think! Part of Dragon Age II's problem was that you had one city and about 2 total dungeons. I have no problem re-using the infinity engine if it means concentrating more resources on developing great party members, an expansive world and detailed plot.

    That's a fair point. If it's a matter of not having the resources to make it with a newer engine, then I'd certainly rather they use Infinity.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I do hope that this isn't in the Infinity Engine

    Maybe a new version of it

    Infinitier Engine

  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    So...I am embarassed. I never got more than an hour into the game a decade ago.

    So I just bought the collection off gamersgate.

    I'm going to use the mods that Rolo posted at the top of this page.

    Lets do this.

  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah that was the best part of icewind dale

    setting up a group of fellas

    giving them names and thinking about their backstories

    dorkin' it up

  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i never played Neverwinter Nights because my computers at the time couldn't handle it

    is it worth going back to?

    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    i never played Neverwinter Nights because my computers at the time couldn't handle it

    is it worth going back to?

    The main game certainly isn't, but I hear some of the expansions are worth it.

    That reminds me, I never finished NWN2...

  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Oh man this has me so excited for more awesome adventures from my favorite game series of all time.

    Spell sequencer loaded with magic missiles is like an arcane machine gun.

    Also fuck Mind Flayers.

    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Vaguely LightningproofVaguely Lightningproof Registered User regular
    Man, one of my fondest gaming memories is whacking BG1 and 2 together with the BGTrilogy mod and taking my weedy Half-Elf wizard from a level 1 training dummy to a a level Fuck You instrument of divine fury across both games. More of that in any form is welcome news to me.

  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I spent a day trying to install this off both my cds and img files and could not get it to work. it is butts. I don't want to buy it again because I have already bought it twice

  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    NWN2 is pretty legit, but Mask of The Betrayer...


    oh man.

    Oh. Man.

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I am disappointed when any game is not baldur's gate.

    My main complaint with DA2 was that it became less baldur's gate than the first game, and so I hated it.

    Do you want to be my new best friend?

    ok!

Sign In or Register to comment.