Options

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think

I have only ever played a half elf

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    My first ever Baldur's Gate character may or may not have been a half-elf because of the Dragonlance books

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    always go full elf for the dex bonus

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I might have played a full elf for thiefing

But if I remember correctly you lost a bunch of classes at full elf, so I had to stick to half

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Always go full Human, because we humans ROCK!

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Rolo wrote: »

People keep saying ELVEN ARCHER but it's like... I'd sooner stop time and then burn people alive

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

People keep saying ELVEN ARCHER but it's like... I'd sooner stop time and then burn people alive

but ed... arching...

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    In 2e, base humans were pretty crap, weren't they? Their main advantage was dual-classing and access to all classes. But I think if you didn't need either of those, it was advantageous to pick another race.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    In 2e, base humans were pretty crap, weren't they? Their main advantage was dual-classing and access to all classes. But I think if you didn't need either of those, it was advantageous to pick another race.

Not at all, that is mostly untrue in pen and paper, where the universe ismostly made of humans, and your dungeon master is skilled enough to take racial discrimination into play. a measly +1 when your characters cant be maxed to 18 in every stat doesnt make up for the fact that you will have a lot of options restricted. Human players have the most versatility, and no level limit.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

Not at all, that is mostly untrue in pen and paper, where the universe ismostly made of humans, and your dungeon master is skilled enough to take racial discrimination into play. a measly +1 when your characters cant be maxed to 18 in every stat doesnt make up for the fact that you will have a lot of options restricted. Human players have the most versatility, and no level limit.

Well, specifically in BG. I never played P&P 2e.

• Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

Untrue in P&P but kinda true in BG 1 where the cap was at level 7 and dual classing didn't get you a whole lot.

• Options
    Dual Class in BG1 works pretty well to start as a strong character lvl1, anything within the fighter range, get just a couple of levels to gain decent HP, and then turn to a weaker class, like mage. Starting as mage level 1 is pretty tough, you pretty much die as soon as someone sneezes on you.

The dex. bonus from elves comes handy for the extra natural AC bonus and ranged bonus, if its a support character. But with the ilimited rolling that BG allows you can make any class work.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite characters was an elderly dwarf bounty hunter

Mostly just because I recorded a custom voice for him where I made a bunch of cantankerous old people noises

All wheezy during my battle cry

It was hilarious, trust me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I want to record my own voices and do the thing my friend did, using all his friends for various party members.

The only problem is then I miss out on interparty conflict.

I really just need to find a way to reskin all of the NPCs as my friends and see the hilarious arguments that erupt and how much sense they make.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    19 dex only gets you +1 missiles and elves lose -1 con so for a fighter that's 9 hp.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I want to record my own voices and do the thing my friend did, using all his friends for various party members.

The only problem is then I miss out on interparty conflict.

I really just need to find a way to reskin all of the NPCs as my friends and see the hilarious arguments that erupt and how much sense they make.

That is the bummer about six-PC parties, but having friends' voices for everyone would also be pretty cool

another idea I need to finish: making a bard voice that is entirely guitar riffs

I got as far as having the opening to Van Halen's Panama play as his battle cry, but it was kind of extremely obnoxious

maybe I should go acoustic

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    19 dex only gets you +1 missiles and elves lose -1 con so for a fighter that's 9 hp.

And if you're not a warrior a Con over 16 doesn't really matter.

• Options
    I used to make character voice packs by ripping sound files from other games

Barney from Half-Life rubbing shoulders with the Doom marine. Who can only grunt and scream

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Obsidian Entertainment has been running a countdown on their homepage for a yet-to-be-announced RPG. The speculation so far:

* it's an original fantasy RPG, not a licensed project
    * the setting is likely related to Obsidian's "Defiance" setting that Feargus Urquhart was pitching last year as "what if Sauron won?"
    * it's not a spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment
    * it's a semi-revival of "The Black Hound", a scrapped Obsidian game that at one point had the working title "Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound"

Coincidentally, Obsidian created a Kickstarter account in August. The website countdown ends tomorrow.

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Obsidian's website countdown ended, and the Kickstarter for their new fantasy RPG is up:
    Project Eternity is based on an original game universe by Obsidian Entertainment's Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain, and Adam Brennecke.
    The game is a top-down party-based RPG heavily inspired by Infinity Engine-style games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.
    Instead of 3D graphics, Project Eternity uses 2D pre-rendered and hand-painted backdrops, just like old Infinity Engine titles, but improved by modern technology.
    Project Eternity uses its own rule set built from the ground-up by Obsidian, and features party-based, real-time-with-pause tactical combat.
    The character system will feature not just extensive combat abilities, but non-combat ones as well, from diplomacy to deception.
    The game features adult subject matter and will explore social and political issues that some other RPGs shy away from.
    Project Eternity features voice acting as "flavor", while allowing for extensive, reactive conversation trees in the style of Planescape: Torment.
    Players take on the role of a single fixed character and are accompanied by companions throughout the game, similar to Baldur's Gate.
    The game will be funded on Kickstarter in a manner similar to Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns.
    Project Eternity is PC-exclusive, and will be later ported to Mac and Linux.

In the four hours the Kickstarter has been up, they've already raised $250K of the $1.1 million they're asking for. (edit: up to $268K since I started writing this post)

gtrmp on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    First time I've ever put money towards a kickstarter

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    well dang

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    OH SHI-

• Options
    I just wish I had the money to go for the $100

Well no, I wish I had the money to go for the $10,000 if I'm being completely unreasonable with my wishes

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Gotta find a way to stop being broke all the damn time so when something like this comes up I can throw some money at it.

• Options
    Well I never!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's really nice that after so many years of graphicsgraphicsgraphics as the primary goal of every new game, game companies have finally chilled out about trying to be fanciest graphics and there's room for projects like this again.

Not that this is exactly the mainstream of gaming or anything, but for a long time I thought we'd never get any more games like this. Makes me happy to see.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    yPaqv.jpg

Half a million dollars in seven hours, most of that from people pitching in at the $20 level.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    definitely gonna toss a sawbuck at that kickstarter when I get home

I've never kickstarted anything before

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Oh

Oh goodness.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    6k to go.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    And done

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I want that game right now.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    yeah, the money's raised, where's our game?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I am so happy with their graphical choice and they didn't go all third person shootery

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    yeah, the money's raised, where's our game?

yeah what the fuck

thanks $ioware

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I can't believe two people pledged at least $10,000. Ten thousand dollars.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    notch has pledged 10k on lots of kickstarters