As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I have died so many times just after I leave Candlekeep. Either Imoen gets one shotted by a bear or some random beast thing just eats up my party.

REROLL FIGHTER

Enc on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    WIZARD ERRY DAY
    that damn barn with the damn dog in it can choke on a dick

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Enc wrote: »
    I have died so many times just after I leave Candlekeep. Either Imoen gets one shotted by a bear or some random beast thing just eats up my party.

REROLL FIGHTER

The best thing to do is follow the road until you can pick up Xzar and Montaron, then go to the Friendly Arm Inn and pick up Khalid and Jaheira. Just having 6 bodies in the party helps a lot.

captaink on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    wild maaaaage

I haven't had much time to give this a shot though never ever played it and am slowly working through BG 2 in co-op.

icGJy2C.png
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Rerolled as wild mage. PRobably the best way to gimp myself but yeeeeeeaaaaaah!

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Just rolled a monk woooo

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I wonder how the tablet version is?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I'm encountering the occassional crash, and looting corpses is kind of a pain, but other than that it's pretty nice. I'm enjoying it a lot.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the iPad version seems great for the most part.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've got a Baulder's Gate Trilogy install all setup on here but I SUCK at this game.

It kinda sucks I wanna do the story and I can't for the life of me figure what to doooo.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I liked BG2 better by a wide enough margin even at the time that I'm nervous to go back and try BG1 again.

My main memory of it was wandering through hours and hours of forests.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I liked BG1 but the only way I can see myself enjoying it now is playing it on a tablet screen on a long flight or bus ride or something.

which is of course why I'm curious about the iphone/android version.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I liked BG2 better by a wide enough margin even at the time that I'm nervous to go back and try BG1 again.

My main memory of it was wandering through hours and hours of forests.
    Your memory is correct. I think when I replayed it I just consulted a FAQ for the highlights of each zone instead of doing a search pattern across the fog of war.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ah! This finished downloading!
    I'm not sure I ever really played most of the expansion, so I'm excited to pick this up.

VayBJ4e.png
    So what is actually enhanced in the enhanced edition? All I can find is that there's one new quest in the black pits, which sounds like arena fighting. And that there are 3 new characters. Anything else of substance?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hardly related, but I just started playing Dragon Age Origins again. I've never actually completed it before. So far I have done
    all the Redcliffe stuff including the scared urn, woken Arl Eamon up, and done the mages tower. Which is basically all the stuff I did on previous attempts at this game, so I'm only just reaching new content.

My Q is what order is best to do things to get the rest of the party characters as quickly as possible? I have Alistair, Morrigan, Sten, Leliana, Wynne and Zevran. The other I know you can get are Oghren and Shale but where do I get them, and are there any more guys I can pick up?

I know I could get this info from the wiki but I'm trying to minimise spoiling any more than I already have about this game, which is a lot.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    So what is actually enhanced in the enhanced edition? All I can find is that there's one new quest in the black pits, which sounds like arena fighting. And that there are 3 new characters. Anything else of substance?

Similar stuff as what you'd find in Tutu. BG2 stuff ported over, higher resolution support, some UI improvements, that sort of thing.
    The big deal is that it's a purchasable product for the ipad, and sometime soon, android devices.

VayBJ4e.png
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    Hardly related, but I just started playing Dragon Age Origins again. I've never actually completed it before. So far I have done
    all the Redcliffe stuff including the scared urn, woken Arl Eamon up, and done the mages tower. Which is basically all the stuff I did on previous attempts at this game, so I'm only just reaching new content.

My Q is what order is best to do things to get the rest of the party characters as quickly as possible? I have Alistair, Morrigan, Sten, Leliana, Wynne and Zevran. The other I know you can get are Oghren and Shale but where do I get them, and are there any more guys I can pick up?

I know I could get this info from the wiki but I'm trying to minimise spoiling any more than I already have about this game, which is a lot.

Oghren from Orzammar, story related.
    Shale is from Honnleath village, though I cannot remember if you need to find the dwarven merchant while travelling first or not.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Shale is DLC so make sure it's downloaded

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah I have the appropriate DLC. just not sure where to go to start it.

I've just started Orzammar but haven't seen Oggie yet. I assume he's not easy to miss?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    you should do shale before orzammar

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    More like impossible.

Just follow the smell.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    smof wrote: »
    Yeah I have the appropriate DLC. just not sure where to go to start it.

I've just started Orzammar but haven't seen Oggie yet. I assume he's not easy to miss?

If you don't meet him beforehand--and you can; he'll be in a bar that you go to for a quest or two--he'll meet you just before you enter the Deep Roads.

EDIT: But yes, do Shale before Orzammar, for numerous reasons.

Shadowen on
    Hmmm okay. I actually just left Orzammar to go back to camp and get freaky with Alistair, so I'll go find Shale before I head back. Thanks for the tip!

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Alistair doesn't do freaky until you harden him.

...:D

edited December 2012
    Question for you folks.

I've rerolled a Kensai one-handed Longsword dude and its going pretty great! However, as I'm questing through Chapter one the druid lady and her boyfriend I picked up at the Friendly Arms Inn keep pestering me to get on with it and go to the mining town and chapter two (which cancels out all my chapter one quests). If I keep questing in Chapter One and don't go immediately will they leave my party eventually, or will they just keep reminding me what i'm supposed to be doing for the plot?

Enc on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Question for you folks.

I've rerolled a Kensai one-handed Longsword dude and its going pretty great! However, as I'm questing through Chapter one the druid lady and her boyfriend I picked up at the Friendly Arms Inn keep pestering me to get one with it and go to the mining town and chapter two (which cancels out all my chapter one quests). If I keep questing in Chapter One and don't go immediately will they leave my party eventually, or will they just keep reminding me what i'm supposed to be doing for the plot?

1) it won't cancel out any of your quests

2) I do not believe Khalid and Jaheira will leave, but they are a special case; later, you'll meet party members who want you to accomplish certain goals (i.e. Kivan) and if you don't accomplish them after a certain amount of time (usually a week or two of in-game time) they will leave. typically they'll state these objectives as part of their intro dialogue so make sure you pay attention.

If you should lose any party members before going to Nashkel, don't worry. You find much cooler party members there.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    If you should lose any party members before going to Nashkel, don't worry. You find much cooler party members there.

yeah honestly if a party member dies in the first third of the game it's usually easier and cheaper just to wait for a better one to come along
    Imoen or Montaron-> Safana or Coran or Alora
    Khalid-> Minsc or Kivan or Ajantis (or, fuck it, all three. you've got room)
    Jaheira-> Branwen or Yeslick or Faldorn or Quayle
    Xzar-> Xan or Dynaheir or Quayle

Favorite team member so far is the Wild Mage from the DLC, I've also been tempted to punt one of my party members for the Monk, because he also seems pretty great.

edited December 2012
    I recruited the Monk, and he's pretty sweet but also really squishy.

Even if you don't want him in your party, if you're playing a human mage or monk he's worth recruiting just to pilfer his +2 to AC boots. They're boss as hell. Unfortunately I made my character Chaotic Neutral so I can't use them. If only I'd known!

Legba on
    yeah the monk is an investment

he is worse than useless when you first encounter him, but after he gets a few levels under his belt and some good equipment, he gets a lot better

the main problem is his stats

they're just not high enough for a front-line combatant (except his strength, which is exactly as high as it should be)

I'm having a hell of a time with the boss in the mines. Everyone except Jaheira is still level 1, so that might be part of it, but god damn.
    I've got her on grounding duty which works fairly well except that the minions spawn in way too close and half the time she can't even get the spell off in time. I've got Minsc and Imoen with bows (and I seem to have sold or dropped Minsc's two-handed sword somewhere) and Khalid and Rasaad tanking. My wild mage is kinda just hanging out but tries to do some good with his +1 dagger.

Is there anything I could try other than going back to town and trying to level a bit?

That's why I didn't want to hit Chapter Two so early. I'm playing on easy mode and the local Necromancer is still wiping the floor with my party. D&D leveling is always slow, but having played so many modern RPGs I had forgotten just HOW slow.

Still, with my trusted basic, unenchanted iron longsword at my side, this Kensai can go up against- SNAP.

DAMMIT IRON CURSSSSSSSSE.

Oh that's what happened to Minsc's two-hander!

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah, I rolled a monk so I am just going to get him to take his boots.

Yeah levels are slow to come but they are super significant. 1->2 will actually double your HP. And for magic users it gives you a bunch more spells. Just remember that the level cap for most classes was 8.

edited December 2012
    Legba wrote: »
    I'm having a hell of a time with the boss in the mines. Everyone except Jaheira is still level 1, so that might be part of it, but god damn.
    I've got her on grounding duty which works fairly well except that the minions spawn in way too close and half the time she can't even get the spell off in time. I've got Minsc and Imoen with bows (and I seem to have sold or dropped Minsc's two-handed sword somewhere) and Khalid and Rasaad tanking. My wild mage is kinda just hanging out but tries to do some good with his +1 dagger.

Is there anything I could try other than going back to town and trying to level a bit?
    you need to get Minsc a sword. he can't do enough damage to those skeletons with arrows. what probably happened is that he was using it and it broke. that happens sometimes in this game, it's because of the shitty iron that's been coming out of Nashkel. I recommend going back to town and buying at least two two-handers for him. Also, consider dumping Rasaad, temporarily. There's a really good cleric you can pick up at the Carnival, if you have a stone to flesh scroll (which you can buy at the church in Nashkel). Her turn undead ability should help. also make sure that all of your frontline fighters are equipped with splint mail. and make sure that you're targeting Mulahey with your arrows; hopefully, they'll interrupt his spells. If even one person gets hit with Hold Person, that's probably the end of the fight.

failing all that, you can drop Khalid and Jaheira for Branwen, as above, then go to the area immediately to the west of Beregost to get Kivan. He's just a bit to the west of where you enter the area, and he's basically Minsc with higher dexterity. Basically the best archer in the game.

Shorty on
    Thanks, man! I'll give that a go.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's kinda too bad that the BG1 villain is totally overshadowed by the greatness that is Jon Irenicus, because he's actually a fairly interesting character. He's like an evil rags-to-riches story!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.