As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wish there was any benefit at all for being evil. you get a nice helm in tob and that is it. the downsides are: less exp, less cash, less story, less characters, less everything

Shorty
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Xar and monty aren't that good anyway

the only reason I ever take them is to fill up the party until better people come along

then its laters losers

especially since they are evil and being evil in BG is sooooo boooooring

Xzar and Monty excel at being hurled into the spellbooks of enemy wizards

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Kana
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Bhow wrote: »
    Hmmm...

They probably do have nice stuff, eh? Maybe I'll collect another mage, buff up and pay them another visit, now that I know what I'm in for.

even if they didn't have nice stuff (and they do), they pay out like 300 000 xp

in case your last fight with them didn't make it obvious, this is a fight to save until the end of the game

thenews.jpg
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I wish there was any benefit at all for being evil. you get a nice helm in tob and that is it. the downsides are: less exp, less cash, less story, less characters, less everything

That's the game's way of telling you to not bother, because Irenicus is better at being evil than you could be anyways.

there are situations where being evil pay off, though

like in the underdark:
    if you go through with the silver dragon's entire quest, double-cross both the high priestess and her daughter, sell both of them out to the demon, deal with the fact that the entire city is now hostile by killing everyone except that fucking aboleth who can't be touched in his little tank, then give the dragon back her eggs, let her unlock the gate and then just head back to her lair and kill her

and uhhhhhh yeah I think that's the only time, unless you count grinding on infinite radiant heart guys for XP to be fun and rewarding

thenews.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hmmm...

They probably do have nice stuff, eh? Maybe I'll collect another mage, buff up and pay them another visit, now that I know what I'm in for.

If we're talking about the Twisted Rune (?) gang, then yes

they have the nicest stuff

(i forget exactly what stuff they have, but it is very nice)

in my evil playthrough I made up the exp difference by killing everyone. wiped out the entire city of athkathla

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Staff of the magi, dude. Thief/Mage and Fighter/Thief/Mage's best friend.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    well if you're into roleplaying all of the best NPCs are evil

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I remember liking the evil Cleric kit the most. Plus you get to hang out with Edwin and Viconia (although I guess that would be two Clerics)

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Arang wrote: »
    they're members of some secret organization or other, but they're not part of any quest unless you count the quest to murder them and take their stuff

The Twisted Rune. Group of big bad undead slave-traders or some such. It's been a while since I opened my FR books.

KalTorak wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Staff of the magi, dude. Thief/Mage and Fighter/Thief/Mage's best friend.

ooooh yeah, that's the sauce.

twisted rune is one of a few fights in the game where you win and you're left thinking "I fought this fucker for one item?"

and then you identify that one item and it's like, yeah

yeah YEAH

thenews.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Being evil in BG is boring because most quests work like this

1) hired to do a job

2) job turns out to be more complex than thought! do you a) pick the good action, where the sub-plot continues and you get to explore it, meeting new characters and doing cool things or b) say fuck that, finish the job and kill everyone for a small cash reward

hilariously, being evil in the name of "I just want to get paid" in BG doesn't even get you as much stuff as being good

because being good opens up plot arcs that then allow you to get more cool shit

Kana
    there are two quests where that doesn't happen!

firkraag will hire you to kill windspear guy and actually give you a full reward
    you can keep the girl's soulstone in tob which is a very good helm

other than that evil sucks

there are two quests where that doesn't happen!

firkraag will hire you to kill windspear guy and actually give you a full reward

other than that evil sucks

but if you do that quest the good way, you get to kill firkraag and take all his stuff

so it's more like the "good" way, but still

thenews.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I like going the evil route with Firkraag

oh shit you're a dragon

I can't believe I didn't put this together sooner

yeah sure, whatever you say

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

Supposedly the new character Dorn is a evil dude with some evil questing attached, so there's that. You can also freely mug nobles and wreck Inns and small towns without much worry.

VayBJ4e.png
    well you can still kill him

you are evil

alternatively, the lower-level paladin response of: oh you just wait I'mma come kill you soon

not yet

but don't get too cozy

hey easy, easy, I said not yet dude

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    alternatively, the lower-level paladin response of: oh you just wait I'mma come kill you soon

not yet

but don't get too cozy

hey easy, easy, I said not yet dude

I love that

Firkraag is all "seriously I'll be waiting"

and you're all "you'd better"

Theodore FlooseveltBucketmangtrmp
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    If you're a dragon and alive, you're getting got. Simple as that.

I'd play a lawful evil character, but I feel it needs a more open and elegant game than Baldur's Gate to implement well.

Fuck off and die.
    Shorty
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I hope that new game being worked on has an option for my dumb paladin at the beginning of every tree that's basically "Have at thee!"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Bucketman
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Whoa all the times I played through BGII and this is the first I hear about these Twisted Rune guys

Damn.

zkHcp.jpg
    Kadith wrote: »
    Whoa all the times I played through BGII and this is the first I hear about these Twisted Rune guys

Damn.

If you never played with a strategy guide or been told about it's probably something you would have missed.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I always kinda enjoy playing lawful and neutral evil characters in pnp D&D. Especially when you have a lawful dumb member who gets angry at you because this was supposed to be a good campaign dangit, and then it turns out I ft right in anyway because the party's solution is just to murder everything and take their stuff.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up! The "L" key is set to quickload.
    It's certainly not lock-pick.

VayBJ4e.png

oh that must be painful

Rolo wrote: »

oh that must be painful

not too bad. About 45 minutes were lost.
    45 minutes of politely talking to commoners in their homes, while Imoen ransacked the upstairs' bedrooms.
    I was basically asking for it.

VayBJ4e.png
    see if being a good-aligned character meant you couldn't just loot every last damn household container possible then there would be a real incentive to play an eviler guy

ShortyStraightziShadowen
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    One thing I've always been awful at is sneak attacks. If I get in combat imoen out whoever drops stealth. How do I make the backstabs?

you have to be behind them, set the AI for your team so that they maintain stealth, and be out of eyeshot so you can enter stealth

then you need to make your thaco roll and be using a backstab weapon

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    She's probably dropping stealth because you have party AI on and she goes to attack your enemy. Either that or her skill is just too low. Damn dirty BG 1.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    reading this thread has made me want to play the first neverwinter nights again

you know what I've just realized I don't miss? cd keys

MorivethLegba
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    finally getting around to buying this again tonight, dont know when ill play it again though with the backlog that i have.

oh god i still need to play that NWN 2 expansion that is apparently as good storywise as Planescape.

Barcardi on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    finally getting around to buying this again tonight, dont know when ill play it again though with the backlog that i have.

oh god i still need to play that NWN 2 expansion that is apparently as good storywise as Planescape.

Wait what. I own nwn2 and have not heard of this

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »

Wait what. I own nwn2 and have not heard of this

Mask of the Betrayer. It is really pretty cool, and not too long.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

well you do get better party members in BG2

korgan, viconia and edwin are all best-in-class

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the main problem with evil parties is that there simply aren't enough ways to keep your reputation low, aside from going and killing random civilians (which makes no sense if you're playing a lawful evil character)

Straightzi