As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    although really you can get them on a good party easily enough

party mix problems can almost always be negated

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »

yeah but not without some reputation tomfoolery

but really that's the least of BG2's party makeup problems

my main gripe is that there isn't a decent thief that
    you can use the whole game

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

RIP Yoshimo

ShortypremiumBarcardiArang
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »

RIP Yoshimo
    I fucking love Yoshimo and I was so sad/angry when shit turned out the way it did

that was probably the best storytelling element of BG2, for me

(until ToB because then shit gets real)

Shorty on
    TheStigBucketmanTheodore FlooseveltShadowengtrmp
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

RIP Yoshimo
    I fucking love Yoshimo and I was so sad/angry when shit turned out the way it did

yoshi ruled, no doubt

I'm sure all manner of stupid moustrap awaits our toes in the dark.

Shorty
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    finally getting around to buying this again tonight, dont know when ill play it again though with the backlog that i have.

oh god i still need to play that NWN 2 expansion that is apparently as good storywise as Planescape.

Wait what. I own nwn2 and have not heard of this

Mask of the Betrayer. It is really pretty cool, and not too long.

Yeah, this.

RIP Yoshimo

yoshi ruled, no doubt

*sigh*...very well. Hiiiiiiiiya.

MorivethBarcardi
    captaink wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    finally getting around to buying this again tonight, dont know when ill play it again though with the backlog that i have.

oh god i still need to play that NWN 2 expansion that is apparently as good storywise as Planescape.

Wait what. I own nwn2 and have not heard of this

Mask of the Betrayer. It is really pretty cool, and not too long.

Yeah, this.

even vanilla NWN2 had a really good plot

too bad the game was kinda shitty

Barcardi
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Agreed. I'm playing BGEE right now. Viconia and Edwin started complaining so I had to go murder some woman in Nashkel. At least I won't have to do it often, seeing as that took off seven reputation. I'm walking a fine line keeping my three good and three evil characters appeased. It's worth it to have Kivan, Dorn, and Edwin all in the same party though. Talk about powergaming :D.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Basically in baldur's gate as long as you murder innocent peasant women, and then selflessly give her orphaned children enough money to take care of themselves, EVERYONE thinks you're a great guy.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Virgil_Leads_You
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Korgans hard but he's not the best front line fighter NPC

Keldorn is arguably better and certainly as good

Viconia is the best Cleric though yes

and Edwin is the best mage except I always play a mage and I need all the good mage stuff so fuck off beardy

Virgil_Leads_You
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yes but Keldorn is boring as shit

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    he really isn't

Keldorn is a great character

Shorty
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I think I need to play a Chigurr like character at some point in a video game. Most of my evil video game acts are breaking treaties and being genocidal. I need some hands on evil.

Fuck off and die.
    korgan can take keldorn

RIP Yoshimo

yoshi ruled, no doubt

Very well... (sigh) Hii-ya.

Jon Irennicus was the greatest character of all time. Ok, that's maybe going overboard, but I love that man.

Also, his small stakes motivation that wasn't some bullshit about the world ending. Fuck the elves!

Fuck off and die.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Keldorn is indeed great

I like his and Anomen's dialogues together

Korgan could totally take him, though

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    also in BG2 I wish they had gone through with
    Imoen dying in chapter 6

you were supposed to have an uncontrollable slayer change shortly after you find Imoen in Spellhold (in Bodhi's maze), where you'd then permakill Imoen

apparently that didn't go over so well in playtesting, so she was added back into the rest of the game

it's also why she had basically no dialog past that point

Shorty
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ugh why did that not go over well

Imoen is the worst

alternatingAberration
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Imoen dying in chapter 6

you were supposed to have an uncontrollable slayer change shortly after you find Imoen in Spellhold (in Bodhi's maze), where you'd then permakill Imoen

apparently that didn't go over so well in playtesting, so she was added back into the rest of the game

The lesson is, it's dangerous to be a thief in BG2

captaink on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Imoen is my bro.

You know what isn't great? Making it through the
    bandit camp
    like a boss, and then getting waylaid by spiders and having half my party slaughtered.

Damn poison.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Imoen dying in chapter 6

So during your very first
    slayer change?

huh

I would've been okay with that, I suppose

Not that BG2 Imoen is anywhere near as obnoxious as BG1 Imoen

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I always hated setting up my party's combat behavior.

I also remember someone tried making an Imoen romance mod.

b1ehrMM.gif
    Straightzi wrote: »

Imoen is the worst
    seen as a bait and switch, i guess, after all the time you spent going there

it was supposed to give you motivation to get revenge on irenicus/bodhi

i think it would have been neat if they had left it in as a conditional based on your will power and whether you took the good or evil approach to completing previous quests, you'd have a chance to resist it

a little like the trials at the end of SoA, where if you pick the options that keep your character the strongest you'll get an alignment change to evil

Straightzi
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    man what would bg3 even be about?

VayBJ4e.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Pantaloons.

b1ehrMM.gif
    BucketmanKanaShadowenBarcardi

I don't see where you'd go after Throne of Bhaal

charname/xXAbdel AdrianXx doesn't really have much more he could do to top that

Pretty sure the BG3 they had in development at one point was a different story entirely

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    It was supposed to be a prequel, I believe. Set back in Baldur's Gate and in some way involving Balduran himself during the Time of Troubles.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Imoen is the worst
    seen as a bait and switch, i guess, after all the time you spent going there

it was supposed to give you motivation to get revenge on irenicus/bodhi

i think it would have been neat if they had left it in as a conditional based on your will power and whether you took the good or evil approach to completing previous quests, you'd have a chance to resist it

a little like the trials at the end of SoA, where if you pick the options that keep your character the strongest you'll get an alignment change to evil

Yeah, that would have been the best way to do it.

It would give a good reason to play an evil character!

Having a game actually set during the time of troubles would've been fun. Oh shit, it's a god, run for it dudes!

And of course it's the time of troubles, so the rules keep flickering between 2.5 and 3.0 :rotate:

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Story Time.

I was walking through the grassland before the next town, and my party was set upon by a pair of worgs and a dread wolf! An intense battle ensued and my party scattered to sling all manner of rocks, bolts, axes, and arrows at the beasts.
    We were victorious at the end, and my healer managed to patch up the most gravely injured of the group- with help of the last of our potions.
    I felt pretty good about my crew's attempt to manage this area's random encounters. We pressed forward two steps and....

3 worgs, 2 dread wolves, and a "damage immune", vampire wolf set upon us- ultimately slaying my foolish crew within 10 bloody seconds.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    One thing I learned about playing BG is to save after every single fight. With multiple files alternating.

alternatingAberrationLegbaTheStig
    Solar wrote: »
    Korgans hard but he's not the best front line fighter NPC

Keldorn is arguably better and certainly as good

Viconia is the best Cleric though yes

and Edwin is the best mage except I always play a mage and I need all the good mage stuff so fuck off beardy

depends on what criteria you use to compare Keldorn and Korgan

if all you're comparing is their respective ability to take and deal damage, Korgan is flat-out better, as he can master weapons, has far better stats, and has a kit that directly improves his combat effectiveness

however, Keldorn's Inquisitor abilities make this a more compelling discussion, as being able to instantly cast a double-level Dispel Magic whenever you like is ludicrously powerful, not to mention True Seeing

but I think that's secondary

Korgan is so good you can build your party around him

I do not think the same could reasonably said about Keldorn, at least until you've got access to equipment that overcomes his sub-par stats (gloves of dexterity and any of the strength girdles are absolutely necessary if you're going to use him for the whole game)

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Of course, once you get to ToB, you get the king hell badass of front line fighters...

Shorty

I don't see where you'd go after Throne of Bhaal

charname/xXAbdel AdrianXx doesn't really have much more he could do to top that

Pretty sure the BG3 they had in development at one point was a different story entirely

yeah it was going to be about something else

I think the only reason Bioware was going to call it Baldur's Gate was because the terms of their license from TSR/Wizards required them to do so

Imoen is the worst

nah, I like her

she's very endearing, at least in the first game

in the second she's hard and bitter but I can't really blame her

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bioware should try another spiritual successor to BG like they did with DA only this time don't put it in a universe that's boring as shit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    SLAMMUStraightzi
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Bioware should try another spiritual successor to BG like they did with DA only this time don't put it in a universe that's boring as shit.

Guess that rules out forgotten realms.

BADUMTSH.

TheStigStraightziShadowengtrmp
    I didn't really care for her VA compared to most of the others, and she doesn't have hardly any interactions with other party members, so she kinda feels like a 5th wheel on the party sometimes...

But I've never particularly disliked her, either.

Maybe it's just having to listen to her conversations so many times every time you start a new play through of Irenicus's dungeon

Straightzi
    I can't believe how little I know about BGII compared to you people. Some goddamn Baldur's Gate scholars on here.

Fuck off and die.