As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heya! It's me Imoen!

1246740

Posts

  • DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I do hope that this isn't in the Infinity Engine

    Maybe a new version of it

    Infinitier Engine

    The Infinity and Beyond Engine.

  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Thread title just reminded me how ridiculous it was for Imoen, a steathy thief, to be dressed completely in hot pink.

  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hiding in plain sight?

  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    nah, neverwinter nights was pretty boring and collectathon-ish

    the expansions were alright, especially hordes of the underdark

    thenews.jpg
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    should i skip NWN and go right to NWN 2?

    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yes, NWN original sucks.

  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    my plan would be to play through shadows of undrentide, then hordes of the underdark, and then the NWN2 expansion

    but I have an unusually low opinion of NWN2, I think

    thenews.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    One of my favorite things was my roommate's playthrough of this last year. He had the games with all of the super tough difficulty mods installed, and was determined to play through all of them with a complete custom party. Every single person in the party was based on someone he knew (with him as the Bhaalspawn) and if anyone died, they were gone forever. No resurrection, replaced by a new one of our friends.

    He eventually created a rule that you could gain extra lives by sleeping in our apartment, otherwise he would've run out of people.

    Even with that, he was encouraging people to pass out drunk on our couch or for me to sleep with new people just to gain more characters.

    Straightzi on
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    sometimes I would run into a really tough fight with a bunch of spellcasters and try and try to beat it

    if nothing else worked I'd open the door, shove through whoever I liked and needed the least (usually yoshimo) and close it while a world of hurt poured onto him

    thenews.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man Yoshimo was awesome, you shut your mouf

  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    this was before I realized how awesome he was at traps, and backstabbing, and being dapper

    he was cool but he wasn't korgan in a fight

    thenews.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    These were great games for sure. But I don't get all the excitement for continuing to use the infinity engine for another game. The games kicked ass because they did a great job telling a great story. Surely they can give us another excellent story in the same vein but with a game engine that's at least somewhat updated.
    I agree, I did love the infinity engine, but would also love to see an updated engine.

    However, to do another game with the scope of the BG series would be very expensive, I think! Part of Dragon Age II's problem was that you had one city and about 2 total dungeons. I have no problem re-using the infinity engine if it means concentrating more resources on developing great party members, an expansive world and detailed plot.

    Yeah, one thing I loved about the infinity engine is that it had just enough detail in it that you could find it engaging, but didn't require so much detail that you had to sacrifice quests/dialog/gameplay in order to get consistently good quality. The Infinity engine was pretty great because environments that would have seemed strange and barren in a 3D engine (NPCs that stood completely still, completely static environments, no animations for non-fighting character actions) are much easier to gloss over if you're starting at them from a fixed top-down perspective.

    I think the real killer is having to do dialogue though - moving to full voice acting meant that you needed a huge increase in budget and production time and didn't have as much wiggle room with adding in quest content because you'd have to bring your vocal talent back into the studio if you wanted any additional lines. It had to happen because reading walls of text on an HDTV (or even worse, SDTV) just isn't fun, but the compromise in gameplay length and scope has always been a painful one.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Man Yoshimo was awesome, you shut your mouf

    yoshimo...

    yeah I'm still not ready to forgive him for that

    During my first playthough, I stopped playing for like a week afterwards when I realized there was no getting him back.

  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    i know links to BG1/BG2 have been listed, but this also comes with a few other infinity engine gems.

    http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I posted it over in the G&T thread so I figured I'd bring it over here too. GemRB is a portable open-source implementation of Bioware's Infinity Engine. It runs on Windows, OS X, Linux, *BSD, Android, iOS and more so check it out if you want to play your Infinity Engine games on things other than Windows (though as mentioned, it also runs on Windows).

    You'll still need the games though. I'd recommend getting them from GOG.com or the GamersGate collection that Arete posted.

    Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    aaaaaaaaaaaah I love these games SO MUCH

    my friend got me baldur's gate II from gog.com for christmas but I can't play it on my laptop :( when I get a new computer I am going to be so obsessed again

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    gemrb is pretty awesome, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a series die-hard and you don't mind a fair amount of frustration

    my game broke right after Irenicus' dungeon, just got to a bit where I couldn't initiate dialogue with anybody after chapter 2 started



  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I didn't know that, I just saw it after looking around to see if there was a way to play those games on Linux so I could put them on my wife's netbook. I haven't even installed it yet so I don't know about how buggy it is or anything.

    JtgVX0H.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I didn't know that, I just saw it after looking around to see if there was a way to play those games on Linux so I could put them on my wife's netbook. I haven't even installed it yet so I don't know about how buggy it is or anything.

    It's a neat project, but they pretty much need to re-code every event and effect that happens in the game. They have all the art/text/sound assets and an engine that can take them and display them and the basic frameworks for most of the UI, but all of the game logic has to be re-done. The result is a somewhat buggy and unpredictable product that looks a lot like BG but doesn't work quite the same way, and tends to break quite often.

    Really it's just a few dudes working on it right now, and IIRC the engine itself is based off the work of a sole eastern european developer who isn't really specifically working with the IE engine anyway.

  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Infinity engine games also run pretty well on a netbook. I've got a Baldur's Gate game that I'd definitely pay more attention to if only I had the battery power to play for more than an hour at a time. But that's the fault of my netbook, not the game.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Infinity engine games also run pretty well on a netbook. I've got a Baldur's Gate game that I'd definitely pay more attention to if only I had the battery power to play for more than an hour at a time. But that's the fault of my netbook, not the game.

    They do indeed! Mine are installed on my eee. :)

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is fallout all over again

    Where I'm like

    I fucking loved those games

    but they played terribly.

    Well, maybe not as bad as Fallout, but still.

    Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I don't think that is true?

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    They certainly don't play as easy today as they did before, anyway.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I am perfectly content to look at the Infinity engine games with full nostalgia filters on.

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bg2 still plays pretty good. I just played it last year

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I like the first Fallout more than the second Fallout

    but less than New Vegas

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Fallout is one of those games that I've purchased like three times and have never actually worked for me.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Basically what I'm saying is that most of the reasons I liked BG1-2 were because of the writing and personality and plot, and whatnot, and less because of the game mechanics.

    This probably explains why I feel the way I do about the DA series. Where I found the first one kinda bland because it was a throwback to BG mostly in ways that I didn't care about, while DA2 had this rather personal plot and you were traipsing around a place that wasn't generic northern europe.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I liked the combat in BG. did not like it in torment. only made it 2 hours into that game.

  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Janson wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    Infinity engine games also run pretty well on a netbook. I've got a Baldur's Gate game that I'd definitely pay more attention to if only I had the battery power to play for more than an hour at a time. But that's the fault of my netbook, not the game.

    They do indeed! Mine are installed on my eee. :)

    Can't resist reading this as you getting kidnapped mid-post.

    Prolegomena on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Basically what I'm saying is that most of the reasons I liked BG1-2 were because of the writing and personality and plot, and whatnot, and less because of the game mechanics.

    This probably explains why I feel the way I do about the DA series. Where I found the first one kinda bland because it was a throwback to BG mostly in ways that I didn't care about, while DA2 had this rather personal plot and you were traipsing around a place that wasn't generic northern europe.

    never played DA2, but I felt the combat mechanics in BG2 were far superior to those in DA1

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Basically what I'm saying is that most of the reasons I liked BG1-2 were because of the writing and personality and plot, and whatnot, and less because of the game mechanics.

    This probably explains why I feel the way I do about the DA series. Where I found the first one kinda bland because it was a throwback to BG mostly in ways that I didn't care about, while DA2 had this rather personal plot and you were traipsing around a place that wasn't generic northern europe.

    Agreed. I did prefer DA2 in many ways to DA1, although it was a pity that DA2 just felt so... small. And as much as I agree that sometimes a player needs to be shepherded, and that player choices can't always be accommodated, certain player decisions in DA2 felt pointless even to me.

    Jade Empire is another fairly small (although it's always larger than I remember) and linear Bioware game, but I love it for similar reasons.

    BG1/2 are actually the only Infinity Engine games I've tried and liked. I also happen to like the quirky game mechanics, and I am way more tolerant of its faults than other games, but that's due to me really liking the game itself, not the engine.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    If you were playing a wizard, sure.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Rolo wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I

    LOVE

    BALDUR'S GATE

    YOU ARE WRONG

    I

    ROLO

    AM THE BIG BALDUR'S GATE FAN

    BEHOLD MY VAST LET'S PLAY SERIES

    WITH CLASSIC SINGLE PLAYER AND CUSTOM MULTIPLAYER PARTIES FOR ALL TASTES

    YOU ARE BOTH WRONG, FOR I, TOSSROCK, AM THE BIG BALDUR'S GATE FAN!

    I SOLOED BGII+TOB ON HARDCORE, AND ACTUALLY GOT MULTIPLAYER TO WORK, OVER IP.

    Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular

    I picked up temple of elemental evil soon as it came out, but it just never clicked with me. Also I think I remember it being pretty broken, though I believe patches both official and fan made addressed that. I never played the icewind dale games, might need to fix that. And as
    weird as it seems, I think fallout tactics was one of my favorite fallout games.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I

    LOVE

    BALDUR'S GATE

    YOU ARE WRONG

    I

    ROLO

    AM THE BIG BALDUR'S GATE FAN

    BEHOLD MY VAST LET'S PLAY SERIES

    WITH CLASSIC SINGLE PLAYER AND CUSTOM MULTIPLAYER PARTIES FOR ALL TASTES

    YOU ARE BOTH WRONG, FOR I, TOSSROCK, AM THE BIG BALDUR'S GATE FAN!

    I SOLOED BGII+TOB ON HARDCORE, AND ACTUALLY GOT MULTIPLAYER TO WORK, OVER IP.

    oh my god

    he is the big baldur's gate fan

    ALL HAIL THE BIG BALDUR'S GATE FAN

    Brolo on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    serious though, I am excited

    my bet is on an official mobile version mirroring GemRB, which would be cool

    I am not allowing myself to hope for an actual whole new game

    sig.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    serious though, I am excited

    my bet is on an official mobile version mirroring GemRB, which would be cool

    I am not allowing myself to hope for an actual whole new game

    yeah if it is a gemRB style port I hope they introduce some better interface options as well for touch devices

    a lot of the game does actually work through touch controls, but trying to mouse around through gemRB you quickly realize just how much clicking you were doing in the infinity engine, and clumsy mouse/trackpad emulation just makes it more tiring



  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Yeah I would be majorly pleased with a mobile-interface aware version of the game

    my poop breaks would be so long

    sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.