As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. ALL OF IT. DON'T ARGUE ABOUT DLC

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    Ender wrote: »
    I've been doing

engineer with my prox mine pistol (scorpion, I think)

I don't get a high score

but my assists are off the charts

teammates love me :P

You aren't getting a high score? You must not be spamming overload enough.

yeah, I don't

I tend to play a support role for the 120398540918019238 vanguards out there

I dunno, I never get a good score, and I use my abilities constantly

• Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    Hypernetic wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    This here is literally the ending to ME3:

shepardshuffleL.gif

No it was this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQvPFNjxxU0

People know this is from the anime Evangelion, right? Hilarious.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I get the sense that this whole multiplayer confusion could have been solved by starting you at 100% or just using an actual 1x multiplier rather than reducing everything you get in the single player game by 50%.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    In multi I've really been enjoying Turian Soldier. There are just so goddamn many different ways to be effective. Marksman's great, proxy mine's great, and conc shot has a moderately low cooldown even with 8 billion pounds of guns.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    I've been doing

engineer with my prox mine pistol (scorpion, I think)

I don't get a high score

but my assists are off the charts

teammates love me :P

You aren't getting a high score? You must not be spamming overload enough.

yeah, I don't

I tend to play a support role for the 120398540918019238 vanguards out there

I dunno, I never get a good score, and I use my abilities constantly

In the demo I was usually number 1 or 2 with my CC-specced drone, overloading dudes all day and shooting them in the head with my Avenger as they writhed around on the ground.

It's possible you're still too low a level to really get rolling. If so, just wait, because you can make those monkeys dance later on.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    It's arrived a day early !!!

Installing now, see you guys next week.

• Options
    Just to extend my engi notes: I had Overload specced for crowd control as well. So I'm zapping 3 dudes at once while my drone is zapping several dudes at once. Devastatingly effective against the right targets.

Pretty crap against armor, but you can't have everything. :)

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    For MP I want to get an M-76 Revenant and some accuracy/recoil mods. Then just roll with it, no other guns.

I've been rolling my BF3 Solider with just his Assault Rifle and spamming the hell out of my Ad.Rush and my Blood Rocket of Doom.

It's been pretty effective.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I've been surprised at how devastatingly effective the Eviscerator is.

It's my new favorite shotgun, ever since they nerfed the Krogun's reload time. :(

The Katana is good, but just doesn't have that punch.

Orca on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    I really like the N7 Valiant. Strong enough to one-shot headshot non-shielded enemies, two-shot shielded ones, it reloads 3 shots in half the time it takes the Mantis to load one, and comes with a lot of ammo for a sniper rifle (I have 55 shots with the ammo capacity mod).

Yeah, the Valiant is pretty amazing. Less weight and less damage but otherwise similar to the Black Widow, especially vs. the Mantis/Widow respectively. The N7 Hurricane is awesome, too. The sound is amazing, especially when squadmates are firing it, and it's like a Tempest on cocaine: a billion rounds per second and such high recoil that firing at anything farther than 10 feet is an exercise in futility, but man, anything within that 10 feet is smoked.

I haven't used the N7 Valkyrie much, but aside from looking cool I would tentatively say people who don't have it aren't missing anything, since statwise it appears to be a slightly more powerful Vindicator for twice the weight and two-round instead of three-round burst. I can't wait to max out the Particle Rifle's ammo capacity. After 30 'rounds' of sustained fire it kicks up to a stronger beam, and then again further on. It gives me a "won't run out of ammo on insanity" gun until I find the Rev on this character, although the damage is super low and having to stand in the open to fire is painful. Mass Effect 1 ammo fans should be happy with it, anyway.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    It's arrived a day early !!!

Installing now, see you guys next week.

That must be a pretty hefty installation.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Jephery wrote: »
    I really like the N7 Valiant. Strong enough to one-shot headshot non-shielded enemies, two-shot shielded ones, it reloads 3 shots in half the time it takes the Mantis to load one, and comes with a lot of ammo for a sniper rifle (I have 55 shots with the ammo capacity mod).

Yeah, the Valiant is pretty amazing. Less weight and less damage but otherwise similar to the Black Widow, especially vs. the Mantis/Widow respectively. The N7 Hurricane is awesome, too. The sound is amazing, especially when squadmates are firing it, and it's like a Tempest on cocaine: a billion rounds per second and such high recoil that firing at anything farther than 10 feet is an exercise in futility, but man, anything within that 10 feet is smoked.

I haven't used the N7 Valkyrie much, but aside from looking cool I would tentatively say people who don't have it aren't missing anything, since statwise it appears to be a slightly more powerful Vindicator for twice the weight and two-round instead of three-round burst. I can't wait to max out the Particle Rifle's ammo capacity. After 30 'rounds' of sustained fire it kicks up to a stronger beam, and then again further on. It gives me a "won't run out of ammo on insanity" gun until I find the Rev on this character, although the damage is super low and having to stand in the open to fire is painful. Mass Effect 1 ammo fans should be happy with it, anyway.

Yeah. I tried the particle beam out and it's pretty great (especially once the extra damage kicks in), but the long reload time plus time-to-extra-damage kills it for me.

But it is outstanding on my squadmates.

It's the best weapon for those that can equip it that I've found.

Orca on
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Can I get the best ending if I'm not 100% galactically ready? Like if I had 95% but had a ton of war assets?

• Options
    Can I get the best ending if I'm not 100% galactically ready? Like if I had 95% but had a ton of war assets?

Effective war assets determines it. Galactic readiness is just a multiplier on your effective war assets.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I honestly think they boned up the Galactic Readiness thing, at least as far as complaints are concerned, simply by making it 50-100%, rather than 100-200%.

Simple change of context for the same statistics would probably shut a lot of the complainers up, because all of a sudden it's a bonus, not a penalty.

A bunch would still notice, but not nearly as many I suspect.

edit: on the other hand, maybe that would lower the incentive for multiplayer? Hmmm...I wonder what sort of calculations went into how they framed it.

Orca on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah. I tried the particle beam out and it's pretty great (especially once the extra damage kicks in), but the long reload time plus time-to-extra-damage kills it for me.

I haven't timed the recharge, is it proportional regardless of capacity? As in, does it still take X seconds to charge to full if you have 200 rounds vs the default 100? The venting time is super long, but you can avoid it by just not draining the charge -- it starts recharging after a few seconds of not firing, and it still has to recharge after venting anyway, so it's just an overheat penalty like ME1. It drains faster when it kicks up to higher damage though, so you have to watch out.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

You dont need 100% to get the best ending. It's about 75-80% I think.

You need 5000 effective war assets for the best ending. You can do the math easily on that.

• Options

I haven't timed the recharge, is it proportional regardless of capacity? As in, does it still take X seconds to charge to full if you have 200 rounds vs the default 100? The venting time is super long, but you can avoid it by just not draining the charge -- it starts recharging after a few seconds of not firing, and it still has to recharge after venting anyway, so it's just an overheat penalty like ME1. It drains faster when it kicks up to higher damage though, so you have to watch out.

I didn't play around with it enough to find out; I just used it on Palaven initially, found it didn't work well with my Vanguard, gave it to my squaddies, and went HOLY SHIT THEY MURDERED THAT BRUTE

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Prothean thoughts.
    Just did the DLC mission a little while ago, I found it fitting to wait until I had Kaidan back on the team. Liara's reaction to him was what I was hoping.

The protheans being The Empire was interesting reveal. Him considering everyone and everything to be primitive is actually rather funny rather annoying.

And LOL @ him on the Citadel. He just made that Hanar's life.

Considering the course correction his speech takes with the para interrupt, it seems that under all that anger, he does seem to give a shit.

I like him.

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Razia wrote: »
    Prothean Thoughts
    Just did the DLC mission a little while ago, I found it fitting to wait until I had Kaidan back on the team. I like him. Liara's reaction to him was what I was hoping.

The protheans being The Empire was interesting reveal. Him considering everyone and everything to be primitive is actually rather funny rather annoying.

Considering the course correction his speech takes with the para interrupt, it seems that under all that anger, he does seem to give a shit.

I like him.
    His non-plussed responses to the high and mighties among the Citadel races is absolutely hilarious.

"They used to eat flies."

"Asari learned how to read."

I spit on my screen while I laughed.

Just glad I didn't have anything in my mouth at the time...

Orca on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    I honestly think they boned up the Galactic Readiness thing, at least as far as complaints are concerned, simply by making it 50-100%, rather than 100-200%.

Simple change of context for the same statistics would probably shut a lot of the complainers up, because all of a sudden it's a bonus, not a penalty.

edit: on the other hand, maybe that would lower the incentive for multiplayer? Hmmm...I wonder what sort of calculations went into how they framed it.

I disagree. I made sense of it immediately. Why are people having problems?

At the beginning of the game, the galaxy is only 50% ready for the reapers. I.E., fighting at half effectiveness because they're effeminate morons who didn't listen to you.

As you increase, they slowly gain until they're 100% fighting fit.

Not sure why that's confusing, maybe it just clicked for me.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

You need 5000 effective war assets for the best ending. You can do the math easily on that.

Easy to understand. Thanks. :)

• Options
    Orca wrote:

I disagree. I made sense of it immediately. Why are people having problems?

At the beginning of the game, the galaxy is only 50% ready for the reapers. I.E., fighting at half effectiveness because they're effeminate morons who didn't listen to you.

As you increase, they slowly gain until they're 100% fighting fit.

Not sure why that's confusing, maybe it just clicked for me.

Except that Galactic Readiness is tied to your multiplayer gameplay, not the singleplayer. That's the part that seems to be getting people, which is understandable.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Razia wrote: »
    Prothean Thoughts
    Just did the DLC mission a little while ago, I found it fitting to wait until I had Kaidan back on the team. I like him. Liara's reaction to him was what I was hoping.

I like him.
    His non-plussed responses to the high and mighties among the Citadel races is absolutely hilarious.

"They used to eat flies."

"Asari learned how to read."

I spit on my screen while I laughed.

Just glad I didn't have anything in my mouth at the time...
    Yup. It was just how casually he said it, like he wasn't saying anything offensive at all.

You know the return to Eden Prime was nostalgic. Especially when the ME1 Eden Prime started up.

Hell, the weapon you get from him seems to be a reference to the old cooldown system!

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    the enemy grenades wouldn't be so annoying if they weren't so unerringly accurate with them; it's like every cerberus trooper was the two time galactic champion of horseshoes

My absolute favorite is that they do this even when I'm motherfucking invisible

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    The Geth Plasma Shotgun is so ridiculous combined with the Soldier's Adrenalin Rush.

Ridiculously AWESOME that is!

I know!

I unlocked the Geth Shotgun early. So my level 4 vanguard was walking around getting more kills than level 14-16 players.

Not only that but if you have a person marked by your reticule, all of the shots home in on them. And you can still charge it. And it is only level one and is still pretty beast.

I love that gun.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Quick question: does scanning actually work? The only time I've messed with it it just brought Reapers to chase me around, and I didn't find anything. Does it actually only uncover stuff under the visible radius, so I have to troll the system and 'paint' the whole area?

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:

But what if I *can't* do the math on that? Again, I'm not sure how far I am into this game yet, but how do you calculate it? Or am I just completely oblivious?

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Anyone want to run some Multi on xbox?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Quick question: does scanning actually work? The only time I've messed with it it just brought Reapers to chase me around, and I didn't find anything. Does it actually only uncover stuff under the visible radius, so I have to troll the system and 'paint' the whole area?

Yeah it works. That being said from what I've found all you ever find is fuel and stuff on planets. So just ding the planets and if you don't find anything move on.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah it works. That being said from what I've found all you ever find is fuel and stuff on planets. So just ding the planets and if you don't find anything move on.
    put what about the % next to the names man? gotta be 100%

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Well. I'm not saying fuel isn't useful since it does help on longer treks.

But you alert the reapers after like two dings and they always seem to spawn right next to what you're trying to get...

Also...I'll play a few games of multi, Josh. Just send me a message.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Could we have a thread dedicated to Multi? There is lots of info to share and teams to be formed.

SmallCaveGames on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    I figured out what their inspiration was for the ending of the series.
    Alien 3. I'm putting myself on suicide watch I'm so goddamn disappointed.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I decided to go ahead an promote my level 20 Adept in MP just to see the change it would make in my War Assets for the SP version, and this was what happened:

Total Military Strength went up by 75
    Effective Military Strength went up by 73

Edit: Obviously for MP I was reset to 1 and had my N7 level raised by 10, as well.

Decoy on
  • Options
    ajlisowskiajlisowski Registered User regular
    Man this game is kicking my butt on insanity. Spawning dudes behind me, from a door above me, having folks drop down on ledges above me...having engineers repair atlas's and set up a gazillion turrets while I roll around dodging grenades...

Adept is fun but man do I get killed quickly.

You would think being able to overload-incenerate everything in the world instantly with my squad mates would make things easy.

Ive also noticed the "hot-keyed" squad mate powers suck balls. Like, they NEVER use them, and instead just run up to where the enemy was that I pointed at. In order to have any success with squad mates I absolutely have to go into the power menu. Not sure how I feel about that...

But yeah, this game is going to take me forever to beat if every mission kicks my ass as much as Space Hogwarts did...

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yep, this game is pretty good.

Toothbrushes are serious business.

Also, the interaction with everyone's favorite reporter..fantastic :D

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

put what about the % next to the names man? gotta be 100%

Also, something I've noticed:

If you're trying to get a system at 100% and you just need that last planet or fuel siphon, but Reapers are chasing you, you can cheese it without having to do a mission or something to get them to fuck off. Think of the system as a clock, if you exit at the 6:00 position and immediately re-enter you will enter at the 12:00 position. Basically you re-enter at the spot opposite where you exited. So for those pesky fuel wrecks, if you have Reapers trying to dog pile you, just find the best spot to exit that will put you the closest to the thing when you enter.

This way you can grab that shit super quick and bug out.

Alternatively, you can just locate the items, let the Reapers catch you, and then re-do the system with the knowledge of where the stuff is.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Spoiler..
    Take Javik with you to Thessia. It's so unique with him. He fucking just grabs this asari and mind-bitch-slaps her and then commands the VI once it recognizes him as Prothean

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    Edit: Obviously for MP I was reset to 1 and had my N7 level raised by 10, as well.

Does N7 rank have any effect on things? Or is that just a leaderboard stat?

This discussion has been closed.