Options

Frank's Concept Colosseum

• Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Super dynamic! There is a lot of greatness in this image. I did a quick sketch-over, but it only serves as a suggestion:

defiance_3.jpg
    defiance_wahay.jpg

Like @ninjai mentioned, it's difficult to read her body language as a jump, fall, evade, attack, etc…. I moved her up close, because I do that without even thinking about it it keeps the composition from being split evenly in half, adds a better foreground element to the imagery, and avoids the tangent her left hand was making with the tentacle. I pictured her stabbing one of the tentacles while another tentacle (with the same mouth shape at the end) is coming in for the kill. I also increased the size of the mouth and tried to avoid as much bare space on the head as possible. It should look less like a Pokéball with teeth and more like a creature, so the more mouth from this angle the easier your job will be.

With the slight change the image now has added drama. I'd encourage you to explore the idea of this fight. These two characters are having a dynamic exchange, but in the original she looks like she doesn't give a damn about this easy fight. If that's the case, show some wracked up damage on the monster. If she's overwhelmed, show her narrowly escaping death. Just don't go lukewarm and you'll be fine.

(Also, I didn't offer advice on the scenery or lighting because I'm not established at pulling either of those things out of my ass. My apologies!)

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    To be honest, I like the idea of Frank's more. I think the scaling, the changes to the monster, and the cropping of yours is nice, but you've changed the tone of the piece. @F87 's has more of a kung-fu/action/comic/anime/battlechasers feel, where as yours has changed it into more of a gritty affair.

I suppose it depends on what he intended in the first place.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    I suppose it depends on what he intended in the first place.

I still say her posture/direction of travel could be better translated, with or without wahay's awesome edit

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I'm thinking her pose could be better, and I think Wahay's idea of scaling the monster and cropping takes the piece in the direction I want. Thank you all for the great feedback!

F87 on
  • Options
    I almost let my thread die! Oh no!

A random speedy:
    pitchedbattle.jpg
    Learning Zbrush!
    zbrush_1.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Time to give the Orc Shaman another shot! Here is the new version so far:
    Orc_Shaman1.jpg

What do you think guys?

Edit: Update:

5.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Starting that house test again, hopefully not squashed looking this time!

dnd_enviro_3.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    like always pretty cool stuff.

i think that orc should look rougher though, i mean like dirtier and meaner looking, somehow it looks kind of friendly right now, but if thats what u were going for then ok.

the colors look really vibrant, i think thats what makes him look not so tough. but still very nice colors.

• Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    F87 wrote: »
    5.jpg
    +Yay
    -Sharp proportions! Nice work.
    -Good overlap
    -Consistent lighting! Well done.

+Nay
    -Desaturate skin-tone (I thought the skin was green, but according to Jon Schindehette it is grey. Ah well.)
    -Exaggerate headshape some—make the cranial dome tiny!
    -Kill the saturated fabrics—based on the references these orcs only have grasses and primitive natural dies with which to colour their wardrobes.

-Can you add to the concept to make him look less neat, and maybe a bit more vicious? Making the make-up sloppy and the fabric distressed would make this guy feel more arcane. Right now he feels more like a monk.

wahay on
    "Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Great feedback, Wahay. Thank you! I think I have a good idea on how to finish that orc now.

Small update on this one: (Still have a few things to work out)

images\2defiance.jpg

Also started a small set of weapons:

weapons_swords1.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    Update on this Refinery environment!

refinery_f1.jpg

Also, the weapons are pretty much done! They are to replace the crappy ones on my site for now.

weapons_swords2.jpg

Feedback is very much appreciated.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I like the weapons.

Are they refining jelly beans in that environment? They look like weird slime covered nerds.

• Options
    Haha, I have no idea. Failure in the planning stage. What I've considered so far is that they are refining some sort of jump drive fuel for lightspeed travel. I should probably ditch the neon colors though.

• Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Or use it more sparingly to guide the eye to the important parts of the illustration!

(I personally like think refining jelly bean-shaped whatevers works fine if they're all one color.)

I am digging the perspective drawing. Solid.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    JSteamyJSteamy Registered User new member
    Your art is amazing! I love the characters you create, especially the Orc. Also the scenery on your fantasy/space works are beautiful. What program do you use by the way? You motivate me to give digital art a try!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Thank you for the kind words, JSteamy! I use photoshop and a wacom tablet.

Toji : Great idea, I could use the bright neons to draw towards a focus, which I think it lacks at this point. And I will take your suggestion and make the mineral rocks a single color.

Here is a character I'm doing as part of a series, for a commission. He is a villain character and this is the initial sketch so far.

Brumfield_Villian1.jpg

Does the design look OK? I'm definitely going to change the swords up. The robes are constantly aflame, so that should be fun to paint! :)

Edit:

I've started a mech design for my portfolio:

4leg_mech2.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dude. You're kicking ass in this thread,

You may have inspired me to maybe make a thread sometime soonish.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Thank you, Sublimus. You really, really should start a thread!

Update on the commission and the mech design:

Brumfield_Villian2.jpg

4leg_mech3.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    A new environment, "Waiting for Orders".

I'm thinking the vehicle needs some serious design work and the entire thing is pretty early on. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

waiting1.jpg

• Options
    Marie AugustMarie August Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I like the way the waterfall in the background is a lot more faded, making it look far away. I think the design looks fine. The guy standing on the vehicle needs more detailing, since he just looks like a shadow.

banner3.jpg
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I like it, but I dont really understand what time of day is is. Hazy morning? I feel like you could push it.

I like the shapes you are starting to get though, you work in general is getting more and more interesting!

• Options
    Very good point, Iruka.

Thanks, Marie! I need to finish it up...

---

The next commission! Nice and relaxing to do something well within my comfort zone! Almost finished. :)

Brumfield_Hero3.jpg

aaand random sketch:

1sketch.jpg

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    I really love your character design, the shapes are big and bold, it makes everything look very nice. Great job, can't wait to see that environment you posted earlier, finished.

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Thanks, Mabelma! I will be working on that environment some today, I want to add it to my portfolio.

Edit: Here is a 3d girl I was working on from a tutorial. I think its very outdated though, and I found a much more interesting one, so this is as far as I will take her.

joan1.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    Nice work, dude. Are you working in max or maya? I'm trying to learn some low poly 3d too. What you have there looks like a good start!

Also, the commissioned sword dude above looks pretty legit too.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Good work, Frank! :)

My main critique for your characters is that they're all looking a little stunted in the leg department. Try checking your proportions to make sure you're giving the thighs and lower legs enough length.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks, ND! I will pay more attention to the leg proportions.
    ----
    Now then, I need some help.

I'm trying to pick 2 pieces out of each category (besides 3d and studies) to replace before the Massive Black workshop in august. Could you guys help me decide?

http://www.f.oceansend.com/

Also, some Zbrush + 3ds max sci-fi creature I'm working on via tutorial. I'm learning a ton!

hitekwarrior1.png

and his boots!

zshoe1.png

F87 on
  • Options
    I love all your work but I think that maybe this two could be replaced, http://www.f.oceansend.com/data/images/6scifi_girl.jpg and http://www.f.oceansend.com/data/images/7weapons.jpg. The first one, although the character is great, doesn't tell much of a story, the other characters are just incredibly compelling. The props are great but feel out of place between all those environments.

• Options
    My two cents. I think you've made some good leaps lately, so hopefully the workshop will light a fire under your ass and you jump into warp-speed!

Characters:
    -Blistered Berserker: I think its an excellent mix of style, drawing, and painting technique. Best piece of the bunch, I think. It looks like it came natural to you, and you had fun with it.
    -Orc Shaman: I don't think this one is as strong, but I still like it. Both this one and the berserker have a better sense of form due to the values/colors.

Environments/Props:
    - Slums: Others may disagree with this choice, but personally, I don't think the painting is working in most of your exterior environments. This one, though, shows good drawing ability, ideation, iterations, and process. Based on crits I've gotten from hiring agents, some want to see process, some don't. So it's a gamble.
    - Axe Robot: Similar to above. Good drawing. But the Weapons are good too, so feel free to use those if you're looking for portfolio of more finished work. But I would stay away from the painted exteriors. I have the same problem with mine.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks Mabelma, I see your point. Maybe I could even out the number of props to environments.

@Sublimus - Awesome! I'm hoping to jump to warp-speed soon! I really did have a lot of fun with the Blistered berserker, I need to just go with it more like that. Thanks for the input!

Here is a small update on this environment, I'm thinking of using it to replace one of the weak ones.
    jungle_trek2.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    Agreed. Much better!! I would just be careful of the near-blacks you have in the foreground. But the BG looks awesome!!

• Options
    Ah, you're right! I need to watch the values in the foreground. Thanks man!

---

I'm trying to decide what kind of proportions/style I want to use for a comic project I've been kickin' around. I may resolve these a bit more, possibly try both proportions in a rough, sketchy style too.

brainstorm4.jpg

What do you guys think?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    F87 wrote: »
    Ah, you're right! I need to watch the values in the foreground. Thanks man!

---

I'm trying to decide what kind of proportions/style I want to use for a comic project I've been kickin' around. I may resolve these a bit more, possibly try both proportions in a rough, sketchy style too.

For comics I would suggest, a little more simple character design, the one on the left looks great. Usually comics are drawn a little simple than more finished work because images are meant to be read fast, and having too much detail will make things difficult to understand. That's one point, but a more obvious reason to have simpler characters, design wise, is because you as an artist have to draw these character a very large number of times, and it's easier and less frustrating to draw a cartoon than to draw a super realistic human for twenty panels. Something you could do to spice things up is to, have characters be simple, while backgrounds are a more complicated and details, giving a lot of contrast to your comic and making things incredibly fun to look at.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    In my opinion it depends 100% on the script, the general mood of the story.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Basically what Fantomas said. If your story is more on the serious side I'd definitely stick with something more like option 2. If you want to push the style in a more somber/adult story that's great but I'd do it somewhere other than making adult characters a bunch of heads shorter; there's an unshakably cute/childlike read to that.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Yep. People like Bryan Talbot, Jacen Burrows and Juan Jose Ryp would like to sincerely disagree with Mabelma.

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    Havn't looked at your work in over a year i think. Shit loads progress. Anatomy and weight proportion is really working well in your drawings. Plus, i notice it's moved beyond 'concept art' into a mix of illustrative work. Thumbs-up!

• Options
    m3nace wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Yep. People like Bryan Talbot, Jacen Burrows and Juan Jose Ryp would like to sincerely disagree with Mabelma.

Jajajaja, might be personal taste, or I'm just too lazy to look into detailed images.

• Options
    Thanks everyone ! : ) I've decided to focus on writing the first chapter before trying out different styles.

---

Update, I think this one is finished! I'm pretty happy with it.

WaitingforOrders_final.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey that's looking nice!