Options

Frank's Concept Colosseum

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    Looks great! The only problem I see is that the wheels are throwing off the scale for me a bit. I'm imagining something about this big:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Mercedes_-_Benz_camper_-_side.jpg

but the scale of the people and the door are telling me that it's much larger. It just complicates the image some.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    @Mangoes - Thanks! I'm hoping they don't throw the scale off too much, plus they would need big, all-terrain tires for that type of vehicle.
    --

Here is a new character, Terra Vanmin. She is a bounty-hunter time-traveler from a post apocalyptic world.
    tehra_vanmin2.jpg
    Do her legs look OK? Is the design pretty cool?

F87 on
  • Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I hadn't noticed anything about the legs until you drew attention to them. They kind of arch back quite a lot - I almost expect them to have hooves on the end?

Other than that, that design is awesome :) I just wonder if her face is distinctive enough, unless that's the intention. The incognito face almost looks like a totally different character, if you see what I mean.

Loving the clothes design.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    I don't really mind the push on the curvature of her legs other than that there's a bit of stylistic disconnect with her comparatively straight upper body. I think her incognito face is Working As Intended.

Love the hardware details, particularly the gun.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ah, that's what it is! Her legs are too different from the upper body, they need a bit of straightening out.

I'm hoping her pony tail will be enough connection for people to realize its her. I always struggle with likeness, but hopefully I can get a bit better by practicing with this character!

Edit: I started to do a CG Hub challenge, but moved on to other things. I'll throw the sketch up here though.

cg1.png

F87 on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Frank, do the AC challenge. I thin you would benefit for trying something really different, even if its still toward your goal of concept art, it may benefit you to try drawing (people specifically) in another persons style. Trying to mimic a style makes you study very particular things that you dont always think about, like mark making, the angles on your shapes, and things like that.

I know that sometimes as we get away from copying anime and cartoons as a kid, you sort of get in your head that you should be slapped on the wrist for trying to copy things, but its a valid mode of study. It may benefit you in ways that just trying to push yourself with our constant advice cant.

• Options
    I will consider it. I agree with you, I'm just really busy for the next couple of weeks.

Update:
    tehra_solvo2.jpg

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I feel like her calves are a bit too thick, but that could also be because they're about as thick as her thighs, and taper drastically and oddly at the knees.

Ignore the odd lighting on her knee, but:
    true-religion-Shorts-03.jpg

Ethnic-Woman-Legs-Standing-Bathroom-Scales-1170677.jpg

Woman-Legs-Wearing-Red-Shoes-978801.jpg

The curve of the calf starts much higher than what you have here.

• Options
    That's what it is! Thanks, ND :)

• Options
    Shore. :) Glad to see you're being so productive!

• Options
    edited July 2012
    My host is having trouble today, it seems.

: ) Here is an update:
    BPOUc.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    I gotta say: that skin shading is absolutely fantastic.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Thank you, kind Sir.

Here is the final version! Any extra feedback guys? I need to print my portfolio soon, so I'm trying to tie up any loose ends.
    VwwBR.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    There are some smudges in the light grey that you want to clean up, those things like to become more apparent in print. The shadows also a little nonsensical and smushy, I would mask her out and do a much softer treatment on that, also try and replicate what her shadow would look like with the light.

• Options
    Thanks, that's very helpful feedback! :)

Do you mean mask her skin out and really work on making the shadows more logical? The shadow thing I can do, but I don't know how to use masks yet!

• Options
    You can just do a selection. I'm just talking about the shadow she is casting on the ground, it would only make sense if the sun was completely overhead. Its kinda prevalent in concept art/old games to have that generic little shadow, but it blends better to make it at least sort of imitate the light.

• Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    I think she's missing a muscle at the back of her left thigh. The middle strap of the trousers at this thigh indicates, that what is underneath it comes from straight above. That muscle coming from the butt doesn't tend to behave that way.
    But I really like the whole picture. The clothing and equipment feel consistent. :)

- SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks, Ape! I tried to indicate that muscle better.

@Iruka - The light grey part of the background is making the shadow have a bad tangent. If I use that light grey part as a wall to cast the shadow on, then the extra sketches make it look strange? It's hard to explain. I tried fading the shadow out quickly, does this look OK?
    p3Un2.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    it looks to sharp like that, you can do something way less specific, something like this:
    frankcritgirl.jpg

Unless that light was really strong and right on top of her, shadows tend to get a little less specific/blurry as they get away from the source, not just faded.

• Options
    Right, that makes sense!

Do you think the shadow on the wall makes the other sketches look poster-like? It feels weird to me.

• Options
    You could arrange the whole thing differently if the light gray is causing you grief. It would probably be easier if the shadow wasn't being flipped up a wall, because its sort of indicating more setting than there really is/needs to be, but you'll have to move around your design blocks to make it work.

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    thats looking good dude. darken the lines on your drawings (gun etc) then move on. This is at an adequate level. Maybe some close up drawings of the goggles and 3/4 view of gun.

PROX on
  • Options
    I cleaned up the gun/goggles and redrew the head sketches because the designs had changed some. Then I moved the lighter background square up some to make room for that shadow, which I softened.

I think that fixed the problem some. I'm glad I didn't stop earlier! Thanks for the feedback guys :)

zsfwo.jpg

• Options
    Oh, whatever you did, she's much more recognisable now. Good job!

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    The revisions made a noticeable difference, glad you cleaned it up!

Where are you getting the prints done?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks guys.

I'm printing my stuff at FedEx / Kinkos. The plan is to get twenty 8.5x11's for a small portfolio I have. I'm going to a workshop soon and will have it reviewed by some pros!

Should I worry about increasing the dpi settings on the pieces I plan to print? I think the majority where at default 72dpi. Also, is color mode important?

Edit: I'm really sad that my host has forsaken me! He did it for free, so I really can't complain though. This thread is pretty fucked though, for now.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    D:

For future reference, Frank, if your computer can handle it you should work at 300 dpi.** Ideally that's what I like to print at, though I think you can print at like...200 dpi and it still generally looks okay. But 72 dpi is way too low to print [if you want it to fit on 8.5x11 and look good]. You can always make a piece smaller, but making it a higher dpi after the fact is only going to make it blurry. If you're working at 72 dpi, printing at 300 dpi just means that the computer is trying to make 300 dots when you've only given it 72 dots to work with, so it's going to fill in the the void with blends of the colors in the 72 dots.

Worst-case scenario, up your file before printing to 300 dpi and try to sharpen (i.e. hand-paint) the most important areas before printing. It won't be perfect, but it at least allows you to get some sharpness out of a slightly blurred-image.

**(If you're planning on printing it in the future at the document size in Photoshop.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, you're probably working in RGB mode (red, green, blue...the colors of light your pixels emit) but you'll be printing in CMYK (cyan magenta yellow black...ink colors). Because your screen can display colors the printer can't print, there's going to be some discrepancy. Some colors are worse than others - blues in particular, I've noticed. You're going to want to print a few copies with different settings to try and figure out what print settings to use that will result in the "closest-to-digital" result you can manage. Also - if your copies are printing too dark, sometimes the printer is using too much ink, and you have to tell it to use a little less. There should be settings at FedEx/Kinko's that you can mess around with and are pretty self-explanatory, if they're anything like the Kinko's I've been to before.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thank you, Jennifer. How informative!

I really feel like a dunce for not knowing this earlier. I guess it will just be one of those lessons learned the hard way.

:(

F87 on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    No worries. Good thing to learn now, rather than later! :)

Working at a higher dpi is also good to "prove" that you're the original creator, in the extreme off-chance that your work gets stolen (which I honestly think is a rarity for most folks who post their work online. I know it happens, but outside of Deviantart I can't imagine it's a huge issue for the average Joe). I save all the work I'm going to post online at 72 dpi, because I don't need anything higher. Generally though, even if I have no plans at the moment to print, I try to work at 200-300 dpi.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    I think moving on from here I will go with 200-300 dpi as well, depending on how my computer can handle it.

I'm having trouble with the legs of the "turnarounds" I'm trying to finish for my portfolio.

Eh0pL.jpg
    oHTM7.jpg

Need to finish these soon, but the damn legs/feet! I flip the characters outline, and almost everything seems to work perfectly, except the feet.

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    I always have trouble with placing feet/legs in perspective too. For the dude, look at the front facing one. HIs left foot is farther back in perspective. So in the back facing one, his left foot ought to be closer.

Same thing with the female. In the front view, her right leg is toward the front, but you have it reversed in the back view.

I guess it depends on how you want to do it, but when I do a turnaround like that I try to think of it as the same moment in time, but from different angles. It's up to you, but right now it does not read as 'the same pose from different angles".
    Hope that hels dude, keep rocking it!

• Options
    My recommendation is to not flip the characters outline, personally its only made making turnarounds way worse for me. Graph Paper makes things easy, if you prefer staying digital, though, I'd still recommend a grid rather than just using guides (if that's what you are doing)

• Options
    Thanks guys, I'm going to keep practicing these.

I pushed on and this is where they are at. I decided to combine them.

DjNNG.jpg

I have to get my stuff printed very soon. Any suggestions on how to quickly finish these up? I'm just trying to make the presentable.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Which one of these would you guys recommend I use in my portfolio? I have 1 slot left.

ME57O.jpg

Should it be another character? (I could fix her up some) or a study? Maybe the environment thumbnails?

or this?
    VLN1A.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    Could you maybe put all the current images together so we can see them? Just throw them all in a spoiler tag, maybe?

Are you using those turn arounds? With the legs they are a little weak, and since consistency and measuring is the whole reason you make turn arounds, I would not use those quite yet.

I like the environment thumbs, personally, but seeing what else you have chosen for the final cut help.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Alright, good idea!

I think I can fix the turnarounds before tonight.

Here is what I've chosen so far, trying to keep it at 20 images.
    DP2Dd.jpg
    qm4gT.jpg
    kqpdN.jpg
    8zxSQ.jpg
    Wz9uq.jpg
    tNtqK.jpg
    ZWFoB.jpg
    gFhi6.jpg
    Be29I.jpg
    kKITK.jpg
    Rs4rE.jpg
    IK5nu.jpg
    RH8Pf.jpg
    uybVj.jpg
    WsiDV.jpg
    2TLUI.jpg
    C9xk9.jpg
    Yijcg.jpg
    RRjR0.jpg

I added another possible creature I could add to fill the 20th spot. I'm leaning towards the environment thumbnails though.

F87 on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Sub and Iruka touched on these points, but I figured I might draw it out to maybe help a bit.

When you're spinning your figures like that it looks like you're relying too much on a flipped version of your front view to make your back view.

You should find the perspective you used on the front view and apply that to your back view, using the front view as a check for the proportions.

spin.jpg

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Your portfolio has a lot of people standing at 3/4ths. I do not think you need that many people standing at 3/4ths, it gives the impression thats the only way you can draw people standing.

• Options
    Damnit! I hadn't though about that. Argh!!!

• Options
    One think to note, you will (hopefully) always be improving upon your portfolio. You should print it and apply to stuff, but its a great time for us to see the gaps, and push your towards your goals. Don't let the crits stop you from printing and such.

That being said, your mechanical stuff/environments really outshines your characters. Personally, I would cut down the characters to the most refined ones, and leave out the rest. best to, if you can, not show any weaknesses at all. The double flaming sword dude, the girl you just finished, and the boil covered monster really stand out to me, the rest I could take or leave. These two in particular seem a little rough and unrealized to be displayed on their own.