As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What world would you make

VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
The less than recent revolution thread got me thinking. I wondered, after a successful revolution, one in which you now have the power to cange the country or world into whatever you want, what would you do? What kind of world would you make? What kind of laws would you have? What would be the focus of your new empire, or republic, or democracy or whatever. Just curious.

Therman Murman?......Jesus.
VBakes on

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In real life, I'm pro-democracy.

In fake life, I'd unite humanity and form an interstellar empire, crushing any who oppose. In order to do this with any sort of speed, the government would have to be authoritarian. Human rights, but no democratic rights (no democracy). High focus on technological development and military. Also, I'd replace NASA with a military space program. Because, environmental problems aside, all these people have got to go somewhere. :P

Not very elaborate, but you get the idea.

James on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would create a world where large robotic space sharks were used as mounts that my pirate nation rode into battle. None would stand up to us, and my face would instill fear into the minds of millions of children.

Nothing can stand up to pirates riding robotic space sharks. Not even mother fucking ninjas.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck democracy, for starters. When the majority of the population is vaguely intelligent or at least sentient we can talk about the possibility of eventually instituting a democratic system but until then (and that will never happen anyway), fuck that, freedom comes first. Which means I need to be Emperor of Earth.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Strongly libertarian attitude towards laws, though I'd certainly have necessary liberal trappings like universal health care and a huge emphasis on education.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jameserson wrote: »
    In real life, I'm pro-democracy.

In fake life, I'd unite humanity and form an interstellar empire, crushing any who oppose. In order to do this with any sort of speed, the government would have to be authoritarian. Human rights, but no democratic rights (no democracy). High focus on technological development and military. Also, I'd replace NASA with a military space program. Because, environmental problems aside, all these people have got to go somewhere. :P

Not very elaborate, but you get the idea.

Pretty much exactly what Id do.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Uh, I'd, uh, crush all opposition too.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Democracy. No need to over think the problem.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Give the fundies of each religion a small country of thier own and let em go wild.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Give the fundies of each religion a small country of thier own and let em go wild.

Make sure they have nukes, too.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I would put that on TV.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I would put that on TV.

Tonight at 9! Survivor: Fundamentalism!

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I would put that on TV.

We could make a new Survivor out of it, but you know the buddhist is going to win.

EDIT: Beat'd hard!

James on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Uh, I'd, uh, crush all opposition too.

You had better!

James on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    What kind of democracy, presidential, or parliamentary? Strong or weak executive? Judicial review?

Personally, I'd make it a constitutional dictatorship with a sunset clause establishing democracy upon my death.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    autocracy with such a convoluted set of laws that at my death a civil war would be inevitable.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What kind of democracy, presidential, or parliamentary? Strong or weak executive? Judicial review?

Personally, I'd make it a constitutional dictatorship with a sunset clause establishing democracy upon my death.

The more I understand it, the more I appreciate U.S. representative (republican) democracy. I think it is the best place to start for formulating a new, better spin on democracy.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd make my world into a war world where armies fight for my amusement.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fuck it. Autocracy, with a massive emphasis on education, particularly where extending the human life (or at least intelligence) would be the principal focus. I would like very much to live forever, and would enjoy having the intellectual and material resources of the entire world at my disposal to meet that goal.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007

So you'd be Pinochet, basically?

Me, I'd establish the world's first cheerocracy, with Kirsten Dunst as my Secretary of Wearing Short Skirts and Bounching Up and Down.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007

America with a weak executive.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

America with a weak executive.

Yup.

If you rule the world anyways, half the executive's purpose is gone anyways, as I don't foresee having to interact with foreign powers or executing quick military responses all that often.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I wouldn't be making people "disappear," and I'd be way more benevolent.
    Me, I'd establish the world's first cheerocracy, with Kirsten Dunst as my Secretary of Wearing Short Skirts and Bounching Up and Down.
    I would give you the South to do so.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007

I'm sure Pinochet thought he was pretty benevolent. ;)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm sure Pinochet thought he was pretty benevolent. ;)
    That's it, you're disappearing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd do some form of representative monarchy where its a requirement to vote on national elections. Political parties would be allowed to exist but there shall be no labeling of such parties on elections (public or federal). None of this "I can't vote for her because she's a progressive, etc etc." You do your homework for national elections so that I'm not the only one to blame when I fire nukes into San Marino for being so small.

Hey, you voted for me, right?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Arikado wrote: »
    I'd do some form of representative monarchy where its a requirement to vote on national elections. Political parties would be allowed to exist but there shall be no labeling of such parties on elections (public or federal). None of this "I can't vote for her because she's a progressive, etc etc." You do your homework for national elections so that I'm not the only one to blame when I fire nukes into San Marino for being so small.

Parties are valuable voting cues for people who actually lack the time to thoroughly research each of their candidates. If someone's a Democrat in the United States, it's not difficult to say where they're likely to fall on lots of issues.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, I would probably prefer to not install ANY form of government at all. I think I'd install what you'd call a "Personality Cult".

Days of the week would be renamed as positive traits of mine, as would the months.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arikado wrote: »

Parties are valuable voting cues for people who actually lack the time to thoroughly research each of their candidates. If someone's a Democrat in the United States, it's not difficult to say where they're likely to fall on lots of issues.

Oh I'm aware of that. I just would like for there to be more of a public responsibility for what is done on the higher levels. I guess I'm just tired of the whole "well I didn't vote for him, I'm a *insert party name*" among critics. I guess it's sorta happening now with party members being labeled "hardline" or "moderate."

The Monarchy is there to laugh at people when they vote retards to office.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Everything shall be constructed out of Nerf.

Yar on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All the fundies get their own country.

That country is New Zealand. It's a nice country, but I need a location out of the way of everyone else. Western-style religions on the South Island, Eastern-style on the North Island. Each individual religion gets a city, any of the fundies leaves New Zealand, they get saved with extreme prejudice.

Maybe we could use Tasmania for fundies who may have become non-fundie, or if any of them have kids and we don't know if they take after their parents. Release them into Melbourne if they turn out okay.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would establish a meritocracy for government offices. A series of exams and ongoing evaluations would determine the ideal individual for each government office. Beyond that, the world economy would be an almost entirely unregulated capitalist market. The role of government would be very limited in general.

Basically, establish and maintain peace, order, private ownership, and security. Maybe, just maybe, provide grants for outstanding research.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd simply stage a false Alien invasion that would force the current earth nations to unite against a common enemy from another galaxy. Then you could spend all the money you wanted on weapons and new technology (or anything else you wanted) shortly after mankinds first fully combined "war effort." You and all your military and industry friends would be stinking rich of course, be in positions of power no human has ever enjoyed in the past and would be able to maintain this grip for many decades if not longer.

You could give or take away any right/freedom/etc you desired, all under the guise of "protecting humanity from extinction from the alien menace."

It's almost too perfect!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'd simply stage a false Alien invasion that would force the current earth nations to unite against a common enemy from another galaxy. Then you could spend all the money you wanted on weapons and new technology (or anything else you wanted) shortly after mankinds first fully combined "war effort." You and all your military and industry friends would be stinking rich of course, be in positions of power no human has ever enjoyed in the past and would be able to maintain this grip for many decades if not longer.

You could give or take away any right/freedom/etc you desired, all under the guise of "protecting humanity from extinction from the alien menace."

It's almost too perfect!
    watchmen_01-1024.jpg

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know democracies can be fucked up but I don't know what it could be replaced with. I think a meritocracy could maybe work better, but I can't think of any historical examples of it to know how it works outside of theory.

If we kept something like the US's current gov I would make EVERYTHING 1 term limits(6 years or so) and then do staggered elections for congress so you don't have a bunch of freshmen congressmen at once.

Ooh and in my ideal government I would force representatives to prove they know what the hell a bill is about before they can vote on it. IE have them understand what stem cell research is and its pros and cons before voting on it.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I would establish a meritocracy for government offices. A series of exams and ongoing evaluations would determine the ideal individual for each government office. Beyond that, the world economy would be an almost entirely unregulated capitalist market. The role of government would be very limited in general.

Basically, establish and maintain peace, order, private ownership, and security. Maybe, just maybe, provide grants for outstanding research.
    Who makes the exams and does the evaluations? And how are the exam-makers and evaluators chosen?

Yar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yar wrote: »

Who makes the exams and does the evaluations? And how are the exam-makers and evaluators chosen?
    Nepotism.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd make a geniocracy.

Obs on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Something very similar to Ankh-Morpork... with the guilds and the stuff and the things.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nepotism.
    Then I approve!

Yar on
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would probably give my people free lemonade every Tuesday. Just for fun. I think giving away free lemonade would help people like you more. Then I could probably get away with whatever I wanted.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg