As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    aweesssommeeee, thank you @lost sailent :D

i love ice cream but the lactose, i believe, gives me issues. so i'm cool with sorbet.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    so, sorbets
    are they as easy as it seems?
    any awesome dairy-free sorbetISH recipes?

Coconut sorbet Mully.

Make coconut sorbet.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Peel banana, freeze banana, food process banana. Mmmm.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Speaking of eating the faces of things. I wandered into an asian supermarket somewhat recently and noticed that they sell fucking everything at the butchers there. One of the many things that intrigued me were the sheeps heads. How much eating is there on these things? I assume I just cook it like I would any joint on the bone? Any tips? I really want to surprise my friends next time they visit.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    mully wrote: »
    so, sorbets
    are they as easy as it seems?
    any awesome dairy-free sorbetISH recipes?

Coconut sorbet Mully.

Make coconut sorbet.
    Blake T wrote: »
    55 grams of sugar
    60 ml of water.

Heat these until combined on medium heat (less than 3 minutes)

175 grams of glucose.
    Mix this straight in first.

125 ml of coconut water (preferably from a drinking coconut.
    3 tsp of vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon of salt flakes
    400 ml coconut cream

Dump the rest of this in.

Refrigerate for half an hour, churn and freeze for three hours.
    To jazz up the flavour a bit.

Get the coconut cream, get a stick of lemon grass and half a thumbs worth of ginger pop this on the stove in its lowest setting for 12 minutes, take off heat, cool then strain.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i see the title references casseroles

we make a delightfully white trash casserole that is basically kraft dinner, baked beans, and chopped up hotdogs, all spooned together, then covered with interweaving layers of american cheese and then baked

Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2000%2037%20PM.jpg
    Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2001%2029%20PM.jpg

i make no apologies

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I only criticize the above dish because I do not like baked beans. But the rest sounds good.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    you can't stand there and tell me it's not luxurious

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    out of Lazyness I made crockpot Butter Chicken tonight, smells great and is almost ready.

What recipe did you use? I posted one here a few months ago that got some great feedback if you'd like it (the prep work is a little involved but if you have someone helping you then it's pretty quick).

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    That is absolutely disgusting and you should be ashamed.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Just makes me think of surprise hot dog

Fucking surprise hot dog

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tastes like home

if home were an overweight white woman paying for her cigarettes, white bread, and 2L coke from the local bodega with food stamps

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Salient, you still haven't explained this surprise hot dog thing.

My curiosity is murdering me.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    that's gross, organichu

probably delicious, but gross

• Options
    it is delicious and gross, yeah

i'm not gonna pretend i don't look forward to it when it's on the menu but i would never dream of serving it to a friend

it's a private, painful shame

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I cooked something banal today and it wasn't a horrible burned mess! I feel so independent now.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »

Yes. Yes mmmm.

Also:
    Open avocado, scoop meat into food processor. Add 3T of cocoa powder, 3T of honey, and a tiny bit of vanilla. Process. Eat with spoon directly out of the container.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

Surprise hot dog is when you order ______ non-hot-dog dish and when you get to eating it

suddenly

SURPRISE! HOT DOG!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    ThreeCubed wrote: »

Yes. Yes mmmm.

Also:
    Open avocado, scoop meat into food processor. Add 3T of cocoa powder, 3T of honey, and a tiny bit of vanilla. Process. Eat with spoon directly out of the container.

... I...I dont...understand.

Firstly, avocado doesnt need anything except some salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and maybe a little italian dressing.

adding all that sweet just sounds....odd.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options

Surprise hot dog is when you order ______ non-hot-dog dish and when you get to eating it

suddenly

SURPRISE! HOT DOG!

Like, it is a thing here, where you will get a fancy dish or a normal non-hot-dog dish or WHATEVER, and you'll be happy working through it when you hit something and realize IT IS A HOT DOG

SURPRISE

YOU HAVE BEEN HOT DOGGED

Observe my side dish that came with my stew yesterday. Normally this would be kimchi and seaweed.

543320_10150836471723113_501303112_9838574_2007085026_n.jpg

HOT DOG

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    It happened today too when we went to get Korean savory pancakes

We were chowing down on the kimchijeon and the bindaeddeok and the zucchini jeon and the blood sausage jeon and the green onion jeon

When suddenly I took a bite of a pancake and realized IT WAS A HOT DOG

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Yes. Yes mmmm.

Also:

Firstly, avocado doesnt need anything except some salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and maybe a little italian dressing.

It is divine.
    Avocado is proof that God loves us.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i am going to eat some nasty processed garbage for lunch again
    out of lazyness

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    sandra you may have had a stroke at some point

hot dog does not just zap into other foods

• Options
    Well hell, why did I sign up for Chow recipes to be delivered into my inbox?? Now my mouth is watering because of:
    Bloody Mary
    3 cups (24 ounces) tomato juice
    1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1 medium lemon)
    1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes)
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh horseradish
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For serving:
    Ice
    2 cups (16 ounces) vodka
    Celery stalks (optional)
    Dill pickle spears (optional)
    Pickled green tomatoes (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

For the mix:

Place all of the ingredients in a nonreactive 1-quart container and whisk until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until the flavors meld and the mix is chilled, at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. The mix will keep refrigerated in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 24 hours.
    For serving:

When ready to serve, whisk the mix to recombine.
    Fill 8 highball glasses halfway with ice. Pour 2 ounces of the vodka and 4 ounces of the mix into each glass and stir to combine. Garnish each with a celery stalk or dill pickle spear and a pickled green tomato, if using.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Surprise hot dog is meant to provide a baseline. Like, you don't really understand how awesome everything else is unless they throw that in there as a measuring stick.

Alternatives to surprise hot dog: surprise raisin, surprise greasy spam.

:(

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

suddenly

SURPRISE! HOT DOG!

That is still really confusing.

Why would they do that?

Fuckit, never going to Korea, sounds weird.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

YAAAK!

i make no apologies

Put some heinz 57 on that shit and you may have created my anti-food. I would explode if it came too close.

• Options
    Reginald wrote: »

YAAAK!

i make no apologies

Put some heinz 57 on that shit and you may have created my anti-food. I would explode if it came too close.

it's p delicious, bro

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It happened today too when we went to get Korean savory pancakes

We were chowing down on the kimchijeon and the bindaeddeok and the zucchini jeon and the blood sausage jeon and the green onion jeon

When suddenly I took a bite of a pancake and realized IT WAS A HOT DOG

Are they making fun of you? "hurf durf, put some hotdog in silly American's food!"

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

we make a delightfully white trash casserole that is basically kraft dinner, baked beans, and chopped up hotdogs, all spooned together, then covered with interweaving layers of american cheese and then baked

Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2000%2037%20PM.jpg
    Photo%20Apr%2025%2C%209%2001%2029%20PM.jpg

i make no apologies

Just looking at this made my arteries harden. It's fucking disgusting.

I bet it tastes incredible, though.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Are you all gonna sit there and tell me you've never heard of surprise hotdog?! You're all crazy people

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Yes. Yes mmmm.

Also:

It is divine.

Not arguing with the avocado is divine thing, i love them to death. I just have never seen them served with a sweet like that, typically they always were either by themselves and vinegar/oil or mashed as a condiment/dip.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Apparently, I've been doing it wrong for years.

rBw7X.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    out of Lazyness I made crockpot Butter Chicken tonight, smells great and is almost ready.

What recipe did you use? I posted one here a few months ago that got some great feedback if you'd like it (the prep work is a little involved but if you have someone helping you then it's pretty quick).

Didn't remember you posting one, so I went with this:

2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces(I used thighs)
    1 onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 tablespoon curry paste
    2 teaspoons tandoori masala
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    15 green cardamom pods(I used powdered cardamom as I couldn't find any green pods easily)
    1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
    1 cup plain yogurt
    salt to taste

All in all, it came out nice, but very mild. Then again, none of the spices in there are really heat generating.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

2 tablespoons butter
    4 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces(I used thighs)
    1 onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 tablespoon curry paste
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    15 green cardamom pods(I used powdered cardamom as I couldn't find any green pods easily)
    1 cup plain yogurt
    salt to taste

All in all, it came out nice, but very mild. Then again, none of the spices in there are really heat generating.

Not bad. If you want some heat, take a couple jalapenos, cut off the stems, and put a bunch of little cuts into each one with the tip of a knife (basically stab the jalapeno surface but don't cut it). Then just throw it in the pot and make sure it is submerged. The jalapeno will spread itself throughout the entire batch and will eventually fall apart when you stir it.

Here is my recipe that I've worked on for a while:
    Ingredients

For the chicken:
    1.5 lbs of chicken breast
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 cups Danon yogurt
    4 tablespoons butter

For the sauce:
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 large onion, peeled and diced
    6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 large piece of ginger (2 inches in size), peeled and grated
    3 tablespoons garam masala
    28oz crushed tomatoes
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 large jalapenos, washed, stem removed and pierced several times with a sharp knife
    1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 teaspoons cornstarch

Instructions
    Step 1: Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and put into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the coriander, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt over the chicken.

Step 2: Stir in the danon yogurt until all the pieces are evenly coated in a mixing bowl. Let sit for a few minutes.

Step 3: Melt 1 tablespoon the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Raise the heat to medium high and quickly brown about 1/4 of the chicken. Put browned chicken into the slow cooker as it is finished. Melt another 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet and brown another 1/4 of the chicken then put into the skillet. Keep doing this with the remaining chicken.

Step 4: Return the pan to the heat and melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and the 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, then stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to lightly brown around the edges.

Step 5: Stir in the garam masala and ginger and cook for about 1 minute. Raise heat to high and add the crushed tomatoes and sugar. Stir it all together and bring to a boil for about one minute while stirring. Pour all of this into the slow cooker and throw in the jalapenos. Make sure the jalapenos are completely covered in the slow cooker.

Step 6: Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours. After 5 hours, taste and add salt/pepper as needed. Once taste tested, mix in cornstarch and heavy whipping cream and stir. Let it sit for another 30minutes to an hour. Right before serving, cut up fresh cilantro (tiny pieces) and stir in.

Serve over hot rice or roti.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 tablespoon curry paste
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 cup plain yogurt
    salt to taste

Not bad. If you want some heat, take a couple jalapenos, cut off the stems, and put a bunch of little cuts into each one with the tip of a knife (basically stab the jalapeno surface but don't cut it). Then just throw it in the pot and make sure it is submerged. The jalapeno will spread itself throughout the entire batch and will eventually fall apart when you stir it.

Here is my recipe that I've worked on for a while:
    Ingredients

For the chicken:
    1.5 lbs of chicken breast
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 cups Danon yogurt
    4 tablespoons butter

For the sauce:
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 large onion, peeled and diced
    6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 large piece of ginger (2 inches in size), peeled and grated
    3 tablespoons garam masala
    28oz crushed tomatoes
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 large jalapenos, washed, stem removed and pierced several times with a sharp knife
    1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 teaspoons cornstarch

Instructions
    Step 1: Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and put into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the coriander, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt over the chicken.

Step 2: Stir in the danon yogurt until all the pieces are evenly coated in a mixing bowl. Let sit for a few minutes.

Step 3: Melt 1 tablespoon the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Raise the heat to medium high and quickly brown about 1/4 of the chicken. Put browned chicken into the slow cooker as it is finished. Melt another 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet and brown another 1/4 of the chicken then put into the skillet. Keep doing this with the remaining chicken.

Step 4: Return the pan to the heat and melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and the 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, then stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to lightly brown around the edges.

Step 5: Stir in the garam masala and ginger and cook for about 1 minute. Raise heat to high and add the crushed tomatoes and sugar. Stir it all together and bring to a boil for about one minute while stirring. Pour all of this into the slow cooker and throw in the jalapenos. Make sure the jalapenos are completely covered in the slow cooker.

Step 6: Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours. After 5 hours, taste and add salt/pepper as needed. Once taste tested, mix in cornstarch and heavy whipping cream and stir. Let it sit for another 30minutes to an hour. Right before serving, cut up fresh cilantro (tiny pieces) and stir in.

Serve over hot rice or roti.

Sounds good, I'll give it a try next time I make it. Though, I'm not a huge fan of Jalapeno flavor/heat and was thinking of just adding in some Cayenne.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Yes. Yes mmmm.

Also:

It is divine.

Not arguing with the avocado is divine thing, i love them to death. I just have never seen them served with a sweet like that, typically they always were either by themselves and vinegar/oil or mashed as a condiment/dip.

As a lard-ass sugar addict, I'm always searching for "healthy" dessert.

Actually I found this searching for vegan/raw desserts when a friend of mine started eating raw only on Mondays. The original recipe calls for agave nectar, but agave is disgusting (sorry Patron lovers)

I promise you, it's delish.

Also I hear avocado shakes are quite good.

Oh man.... I'm so hungry right now.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You think agave's gross? It's always struck me as nondescript sweet, kinda like sugar but sweeter.

This discussion has been closed.