As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    as an aside, I don't understand the point of having an SSD if you're going to be installing apps onto a spinning drive. You're eliminating a good amount of the benefit.

It's for things that don't need the boost. Old games, text editors etc.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Do we have any context for how good the nvidia chip on the Surface Book is? I don't know if it's been used in other things or not. I'm not great with hardware, so I tend to think in terms of what it can run. Having a portable Skyrim machine would be pretty nice.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Do we have any context for how good the nvidia chip on the Surface Book is? I don't know if it's been used in other things or not. I'm not great with hardware, so I tend to think in terms of what it can run. Having a portable Skyrim machine would be pretty nice.

it's apparently comparable to the 950M, based on specs. So if I had to guess we're looking at the lower end of mid range for gaming performance.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I really want one of these things you guys. I absolutely do not need one of these things you guys.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    as an aside, I don't understand the point of having an SSD if you're going to be installing apps onto a spinning drive. You're eliminating a good amount of the benefit.

If we could have afforded it a bigger ssd would have been great. But it's mainly for audio processing so we'really only going t install those programs on the ssd and use it primarily to edit the audio files.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

When it was just HDDs, I had two drives so that I could have two different IDE channels working, rather than an app and Windows struggling to use the same cable. Now, though, I doubt my dev apps + Windows could saturate a SATA III connection.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Speaking of drive switching, does anyone know how to solve the "User Profile Service failed" or "You are logged on with a temporary account" errors?

Background:
    I built a new HTPC, using the ASUS Strix GTX 970, so I'm pretty excited to get it gaming right away. Since we already have a gaming PC, I thought we'd just plop the old drives into the new case and rearrange drivers as needed. What I forgot was that the older PC was old enough to not be UEFI, so Windows freaks out, decides it needs to repair the disk, and it starts the repairs before I can get my keyboard connected to cancel.

Afterward, I switch disks back to the old PC, but then I get the "User Profile Service failed" error. This seems the precise reason for system restore, so I boot into safe mode and go at it. Afterward, it actually lets me log into my account, but I'm now getting shunted to this temporary account every time I log in.

Any ideas?

• Options
    Reinstall windows. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's what I would have done in the first place on both machines to avoid crap like that.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The cooling is necessary because the Snapdragon 810 overheats like a bitch. Sony uses it in the Xperia Z5, too, and it needs a heatpipe there, too.

It was one of the reasons I'm putting off upgrading my Xperia Z2 to anything before the 810's successor is there

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I really want one of these things you guys. I absolutely do not need one of these things you guys.

This should be the new title of the Computer Build Thread

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular

I recently purchased a SP3, saw the win10 event and decided to upgrade to a SP4 or a SB. Secondary to that I've been searching pretty feverishly for details on the GPU, PCworld seems to have the most in-depth info so far but i'm not sure how accurate it may be. Per that source the GPU is likely to be an "8M" has a 1gb GDDR5 frame buffer and "given it's unique implementation and design... it cannot be compared to a traditional 900 series GPU"

not really the type of example you were looking for but it seemed at least a bit relevant.

source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2989906/laptop-computers/here-are-the-details-of-the-surface-book-and-surface-pro-4-chips-and-why-they-matter.html

Currently waiting for some(any) reviews before I pick up one or the other.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Reinstall windows. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's what I would have done in the first place on both machines to avoid crap like that.

I usually do, but I let my new GPU lust carry me away. Oh well. Maybe it's an excuse to get a new SSD.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

it's apparently comparable to the 950M, based on specs. So if I had to guess we're looking at the lower end of mid range for gaming performance.

Sounds about right. I'd add that my first generation Pro can run Skyrim and Starcraft II on 1080p (with medium to high visuals) reliable (you just need a good mouse and the power adapter, of course). You can get a decent amount of mileage out this line in general, provided you're willing to make concessions.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    So I worry I somehow did something wrong. I followed the instructions from Microsoft on editing the registry for default install paths.

It usually defaults installs to that, but sometimes doesn't seem to. More alarmingly though, it seems there's been a lot of "path could not be found" errors for shortcuts. They point to the wrong place. Going to the folder and dragging a new short cut works, but the default shortcuts are pointing to the wrong place it seems.

Any clue? It's upgraded to Win 10 now

• Options
    edited October 2015
    At worse just undo it/do a clean install of Win 10. But don't know what could be wrong.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Speaking of drive switching, does anyone know how to solve the "User Profile Service failed" or "You are logged on with a temporary account" errors?

Background:
    I built a new HTPC, using the ASUS Strix GTX 970, so I'm pretty excited to get it gaming right away. Since we already have a gaming PC, I thought we'd just plop the old drives into the new case and rearrange drivers as needed. What I forgot was that the older PC was old enough to not be UEFI, so Windows freaks out, decides it needs to repair the disk, and it starts the repairs before I can get my keyboard connected to cancel.

Afterward, I switch disks back to the old PC, but then I get the "User Profile Service failed" error. This seems the precise reason for system restore, so I boot into safe mode and go at it. Afterward, it actually lets me log into my account, but I'm now getting shunted to this temporary account every time I log in.

Any ideas?

I've only encountered this when the user account was on a domain, had to create a new AD account and transfer files and settings to it from the old one. Might just need to create a new user account on your system.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So here's a weird windows/surface problem, not sure if it merits its own thread or if someone here can help:

I have a Surface Pro 3 I use for work. I have a dock and two monitors - one monitor connects to the dock, the other is plugged into the MiniDisplayPort port on the surface. I've been able to use all 3 displays (2 monitors plus Surface display) simultaneously for several months. Today, I came back from lunch and only the Surface display and one other display will register; if both the dock and DisplayPort are connected, only the DisplayPort monitor and Surface monitor are active. If I unplug the DisplayPort connector, the monitor connected to the dock activates. I can't get the surface to detect both monitors at the same time via arrange devices.

Any thoughts?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Check settings in the display control panels? Obvious I know, but all I got!

• Options
    Myiagros wrote: »

Background:

Any ideas?

I've only encountered this when the user account was on a domain, had to create a new AD account and transfer files and settings to it from the old one. Might just need to create a new user account on your system.

I gave that a shot the other day, and most system programs ended up not running. Couldn't even open Windows Explorer. Had to give it up and reinstall all the way. Thanks, though!

Which then reminds me I should back things up on a more regular basis. Anyone have any backup strategies that work well? Off-site services? Open source stuff I can slap on the PC in my basement?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    open your wallets, microsoft added a new surface book SKU

1TB storage/i7 processor/discrete GPU/16GB RAM

only $3200

• Options
    Can't even imagine how much that sku will cost in Canada. the i7/512GB version is already $3500 here.....

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ok. Jumped to W10 on my laptop. (Still) can't get Pokki to fully disappear. Windows Update link/app doesn't show up; even when I attempt to search via the Start Menu. At least one of my programs that I've tested isn't working on W10, but it's a "known issue" on their part and seems to be related to .Net.

GeForce Experience also doesn't want to launch or work; but I can manually update drivers via Nvidia's website. Razer app no longer shows my peripherals; but I haven't connected them since moving to W10.

Added Avira as an AV solution. Everything else seems.....ok. I don't have 100% faith in it just yet.

Desktop is going to wait a bit longer before I make the jump.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ok. Jumped to W10 on my laptop. (Still) can't get Pokki to fully disappear. Windows Update link/app doesn't show up; even when I attempt to search via the Start Menu. At least one of my programs that I've tested isn't working on W10, but it's a "known issue" on their part and seems to be related to .Net.

GeForce Experience also doesn't want to launch or work; but I can manually update drivers via Nvidia's website. Razer app no longer shows my peripherals; but I haven't connected them since moving to W10.

Added Avira as an AV solution. Everything else seems.....ok. I don't have 100% faith in it just yet.

I did a clean install of 10 on a new htpc, and geforce experience and Logitech control panel both work fine. Did you try reinstalling then already?

I'm actually super happy with 10 so far. Its display scaling works well for living rooms.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

I did a clean install of 10 on a new htpc, and geforce experience and Logitech control panel both work fine. Did you try reinstalling then already?

I'm actually super happy with 10 so far. Its display scaling works well for living rooms.

First version to get display scaling really close to right. Still not perfect but there are too many legacy apps that don't support it properly for it to ever be 100%.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I have to go through Add/Remove Programs to uninstall, now. Which is just wonky compared to being able to just click on "Uninstall" in the Start Menu. Won't be able to play with it until tonight.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Display scaling does still need work though with multi monitor setups.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Edge is so shit
    It reloads any page any time I switch tabs. The fonts look ugly. it has very few options.
    What a piece of crap.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Edge is not a finished product, which is a shame. but the OS was mostly ready otherwise and they weren't/didn't want to delay the entire OS because of the browser.

And sadly most of the fixes that were supposed to be coming in that fall to actually make Edge a 1.0 product have been delayed to spring, which is just...super.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Edge is not a finished product, which is a shame. but the OS was mostly ready otherwise and they weren't/didn't want to delay the entire OS because of the browser.

And sadly most of the fixes that were supposed to be coming in that fall to actually make Edge a 1.0 product have been delayed to spring, which is just...super.

It reminds me of a lot of the shit that went down with Windows Phone 7 OS with basic features being delayed and in some cases never got released.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    I use Edge, because it's fast. The only real things I'm missing is the ability to drag a URL onto the desktop (what, seriously?) and the ability to go full screen or tablet mode (why is this missing from a tablet OS browser?).

I couldn't care less about plugins and hope Edge never supports them. Don't need an Adblock plugin because I use privoxy.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is the free upgrade to windows 10 worth it? I've heard mixed reviews so far.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Sooner or later it's going to be required for games and they'll drop support for everything else, so if nothing else get it now and don't install it yet. But eventually chances are you'll want it.

• Options
    Sooner or later it's going to be required for games and they'll drop support for everything else, so if nothing else get it now and don't install it yet. But eventually chances are you'll want it.

I was looking forward to it because my windows 7 seems to be a bit screwed. I don't remember what happened but I've been having a lot of trouble with programs not working, I haven't been able to download windows virus stuff or silverlight for netflix. I've just heard some stuff about windows 10 being really intrusive.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    I believe you can disable a lot/all of that stuff.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

I was looking forward to it because my windows 7 seems to be a bit screwed. I don't remember what happened but I've been having a lot of trouble with programs not working, I haven't been able to download windows virus stuff or silverlight for netflix. I've just heard some stuff about windows 10 being really intrusive.

You have to ask yourself. Is it more or less intrusive than whatever malware you're probably currently got running?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Also if you don't want Windows 10 you should probably still just reformat.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Frem wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

You have to ask yourself. Is it more or less intrusive than whatever malware you're probably currently got running?

I don't think it is malware. I've had other programs scan for stuff and found nothing.

I'll just upgrade to it and see how it goes.

What exactly is intrusive about windows 10? I never heard any specifics.

Stragint on

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Urrrrrrrg. After having to replace my motherboard because it fried, Windows 10 is now crashing and behaving horribly. I know this is the expected behavior after doing that, but man is it making me nervous about this whole thing. I need to know if my motherboard took anything out with it!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Did you not clean install Windows when you replaced the board? That would probably explain the crashes (hopefully...).

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Did you not clean install Windows when you replaced the board? That would probably explain the crashes (hopefully...).

I didn't have a way to without making an install drive.

So I did.

And still had instability. But I updated my Nvidia drivers, and that seems like it might have done the trick.

No I don't.