As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    HMMM

when I mouseover icons on my taskbar, or icons on reactions on posts here (where you'd get a little pop up with a name) I get a blank box rather than the name. also if I click say, 'file' in word, the drop down box's text disappears after a second.

very strange stuff, I have no idea what would cause something like that. happened out of the blue, no changes on my part and it used to be fine.

anything obvious I'm missing or am I just lucky?

windows 10

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering how much of this will go away with the Fall Update next week.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    darren66 wrote: »
    I use Edge, because it's fast. The only real things I'm missing is the ability to drag a URL onto the desktop (what, seriously?) and the ability to go full screen or tablet mode (why is this missing from a tablet OS browser?).

I couldn't care less about plugins and hope Edge never supports them. Don't need an Adblock plugin because I use privoxy.

It reloads all tabs whenever you switch, so that alone negates any speed gains. It also lacks basic functionality like searching a term from the right click menu, and so much useful stuff that I actually need. That without going into addons (which I use for far more stuff than just adblocking).

It's like an useless alpha version of a browser. And I'm pretty sure that, especially without addons, it's gonna remain completely irrelevant in usage numbers.

Of course, if you like it, then keep using and have fun; but in a general-evaluation sense as an overall UX, it's really terrible.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, no addons? It's dead, Jim.

• darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    It reloads all tabs whenever you switch, so that alone negates any speed gains. It also lacks basic functionality like searching a term from the right click menu, and so much useful stuff that I actually need. That without going into addons (which I use for far more stuff than just adblocking).

The tabs thing you are complaining about, doesn't happen to me.

The other issues you mentioned are personal preferences. Please don't tell me my preferences are wrong. I don't want extensions. I don't want a right mouse click context menu option for find when I can press CTRL-F or CTRL-E.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I don't think anyone was telling you were wrong to like it. They were simply expressing why they didn't like it and thought it would remain a minor browser. The features it is missing are staples of other browsers and it didn't replace them with anything, they're just not there.

Cabezone on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm currently in the middle of setting up a new Windows 8.1 system in my lab. I've gotten all of the bloatware off and the browsers, antivirus, and start menu added, now I just have to wait through Windows Update hell.

It's easy to forget just how utterly horrifying the Start Screen is, especially on a brand new system. You instinctively click the start button expecting to get something useful, but instead your entire screen gets taken over by completely worthless tiles.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Anyone with a Surface Pro 3 have (and have been able to fix) serious issues with the wifi speed? I've read around and seen a myriad of discussions that are all over the place, but the performance has just been horrendous. Right now I'm connected to power and did speed tests on both my Surface and my iPhone connected to the same router:
    PYM7XVw.png

It is absurd how slow the Surface's connection is. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    wifi problems have been a bug that's existed in the Pro 3 since it launched. Pretty much the only thing anyone can suggest is to make sure you're 100% up to date on system updates, as Microsoft has been trying to fix it since launch, with varying degrees of success.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    wifi problems have been a bug that's existed in the Pro 3 since it launched. Pretty much the only thing anyone can suggest is to make sure you're 100% up to date on system updates, as Microsoft has been trying to fix it since launch, with varying degrees of success.

That's really weird. My work machine is a Pro 3 (still in Windows 8), and I use it on a variety of networks but don't have any wifi troubles with it. My Pro 1 had more I think.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones?

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's really weird. My work machine is a Pro 3 (still in Windows 8), and I use it on a variety of networks but don't have any wifi troubles with it. My Pro 1 had more I think.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones?

The wifi on my SP3 is virtually unusable for anything other than slow web browsing. I just ordered a USB wifi adapter off Amazon because I can't deal with it anymore, and none of the troubleshooting steps I've read about have made a difference.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I downloaded Windows 10. Did a virus scan and found a key logger. Changing all my passwords now. Glad I finally have a good virus scan again.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I downloaded Windows 10. Did a virus scan and found a key logger. Changing all my passwords now. Glad I finally have a good virus scan again.

Did you use the official media creation tool to download it?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Barrakketh wrote: »

if I had to guess, it was there before.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So, it sounds like Windows 10 is going to be flagged as a "recommended update" on Windows 7 and 8 machines starting early next year. This means it will be automatically downloaded and the install started unless the user turns off automatic updates. Since I'm happy with Windows 8.1, this is going to be a real pain. The nagware approach they have already taken is annoying a lot of people (especially the less computer literate) and this is going to be even worse. I've tried a number of ways to disable the Windows 10 nagware without turning off automatic updates, but they all stop working pretty quick as Microsoft makes changes.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Yeah, I signed up for the Windows 10 test thing a few months ago and downloaded it through that.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    So, it sounds like Windows 10 is going to be flagged as a "recommended update" on Windows 7 and 8 machines starting early next year. This means it will be automatically downloaded and the install started unless the user turns off automatic updates. Since I'm happy with Windows 8.1, this is going to be a real pain. The nagware approach they have already taken is annoying a lot of people (especially the less computer literate) and this is going to be even worse. I've tried a number of ways to disable the Windows 10 nagware without turning off automatic updates, but they all stop working pretty quick as Microsoft makes changes.

not quite. Recommended updates download in the background, but do not install automatically. If a user goes to windows update and just hits the "select all" button and clicks go, an hour later they'll be on Win10, but it will not install automatically.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

not quite. Recommended updates download in the background, but do not install automatically. If a user goes to windows update and just hits the "select all" button and clicks go, an hour later they'll be on Win10, but it will not install automatically.

That's something at least. Still, I'd rather not have a 3GB or so file download automatically.

There's an option to have recommended updates install alongside important updates. Before this, there was no reason not to have it checked.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

That's something at least. Still, I'd rather not have a 3GB or so file download automatically.

It's also a concern for people with limited bandwidth or data budgets. It's honestly pretty inconsiderate.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    if anyone else picked up a SB or SP4 and has had garbage speeds on wireless, the following sorcery worked for me. (taken from a random intarwebs forum)
    /snip
    1.Press Windows button. Search for regedit. Open it

2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mrvlpcie8897

3. Find the item labeled “TXAMSDU”. Double tap and modify the value from 1 to 0

4. Restart the machine

Cause:
    We have a known issue with .41 that results in low throughput with specific access points. The issue is specific to MAC layer aggregation (AMSDU over AMPDU) and only impacts a small subset of access points. We are working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until the fix is available, please update the registry key setting to work around this issue
    /snip

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    HMMM

when I mouseover icons on my taskbar, or icons on reactions on posts here (where you'd get a little pop up with a name) I get a blank box rather than the name. also if I click say, 'file' in word, the drop down box's text disappears after a second.

very strange stuff, I have no idea what would cause something like that. happened out of the blue, no changes on my part and it used to be fine.

anything obvious I'm missing or am I just lucky?

windows 10

the latest update seems to have fixed whatever problem I was having. never thought I'd be so happy to see text!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was telling you were wrong to like it. They were simply expressing why they didn't like it and thought it would remain a minor browser. The features it is missing are staples of other browsers and it didn't replace them with anything, they're just not there.

Yeah, this. I couldn't care less about what his preferences are. He could argue that Gopher and Newsgroups are the one true way to use the Internet and I wouldn't give a crap. No need to get all "don't thread on me". Hell, you can download and install Netscape Navigator 9 right now. Good luck actually doing anything with it other than reading simple sites with nothing but pics and text, though.

Whether anyone likes Edge or not, is still a very incomplete product in a day and age in which more and more is done via browsers and web sites. You can run a whole system and work and be productive from within Chrome, without touching windows or whatever OS underneath it. I could do my job using nothing other than Google Docs (as could many other millions). Regardless of your personal idiosyncrasies, that's the path IT is going, and that means Edge is not up to par from a large picture point of view.

Anyways, this news about Win10 and updates is not very cool. I can see people who are perfectly happy using Win7 or 8 installing 10 by mistake and getting very upset. I'm on 10 already, and I very much enjoy it, but this is a bit of a nasty move by MS.

camo_sig2.png
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I think people are missing the point of Edge. I have a few 2n1's with 2GB of RAM - I don't need a bloated browser on those systems - I just need a simple, barebones browser that's fast and doesn't take any memory. I also happen to like it on my larger desktop for the same reasons. I don't find lacking plug-ins to be a feature that's missing; I take it as a feature that's good. Plug-ins are just another attack vector, another place for people like Ask and Yahoo to put their Adware and also increases the memory requirements/processing needs even if you don't have any plug-ins installed. And the F12 developer tools are also extremely competent.

TL;DR I like fast and low memory and no plug-ins. Those aren't missing features in my eyes.

Also, please provide a few ways that Edge does not let you use Google Apps efficiently. I'd love to hear them.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    darren66 wrote: »
    I think people are missing the point of Edge. I have a few 2n1's with 2GB of RAM - I don't need a bloated browser on those systems - I just need a simple, barebones browser that's fast and doesn't take any memory. I also happen to like it on my larger desktop for the same reasons. I don't find lacking plug-ins to be a feature that's missing; I take it as a feature that's good. Plug-ins are just another attack vector, another place for people like Ask and Yahoo to put their Adware and also increases the memory requirements/processing needs even if you don't have any plug-ins installed. And the F12 developer tools are also extremely competent.

TL;DR I like fast and low memory and no plug-ins. Those aren't missing features in my eyes.

Also, please provide a few ways that Edge does not let you use Google Apps efficiently. I'd love to hear them.

The problem is that they're pushing Edge as a full replacement for Internet Explorer (and even stopping development on that), rather than as a low-end alternative.

Yea, Edge is not being marketed as "the browser you use on shitty low end PC's" It's being marketed as Microsoft's next browser, and in the current state it does not have nearly the feature set as any other modern browser. Heck, even in the idea that it's good on a 2in1 and a desktop, you can't even sync bookmarks between two machines in Edge yet.

As for Google apps/stuff; Chrome is objectively better because you can log into all of the Google services at the browser level instead of at a website level, which gets more integration. You can log into and use Google stuff just fine on Edge, and it works without issues. It is just more integrated in and a better vertical experience if you use Chrome.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Windows keeps restarting my computer to install updates even though I have it set to "Notify to schedule restart" in the Advanced Settings section of Windows Update. Windows Update itself still says "Available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically."

Is there no way to prevent Windows from installing updates and restarting my computer?

My "browser for shitty systems" is Firefox or Chromium on Linux ^_^

camo_sig2.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Windows keeps restarting my computer to install updates even though I have it set to "Notify to schedule restart" in the Advanced Settings section of Windows Update. Windows Update itself still says "Available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically."

Is there no way to prevent Windows from installing updates and restarting my computer?

You can set your network connection as a "metered connection" and Windows won't automatically download and install updates. Youd have to do this on each network connection and I don't think you can set it on a LAN connection.

Are you on Windows 10?

Maybe try stopping wuauserv whenever you're in the middle of something that you don't want interrupted? It's a bit of a hassle to toggle it normally, but it should be easy to make a pair of powershell scripts to do it.

The ideal solution would probably be a total third-party replacement for Windows Update that scraped patches itself and let you have full control over installing them. I don't know if there are any good ones out there, though.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »

You can set your network connection as a "metered connection" and Windows won't automatically download and install updates. Youd have to do this on each network connection and I don't think you can set it on a LAN connection.

I'll give that a shot and see what it gets me.

@jothki Yeah I'm on 10; it's not restarting while I'm in the middle of something, it seems to restart after I've put the computer to sleep. Typically it's not an issue, although I would prefer my computer stay asleep after I've put it to sleep, but this most recent time it restarted and I had to refind a bunch of websites I was in the middle of reading.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Thank You W10. It only took me 3 weeks to find out that update is nestled in Settings (instead of Control Panel because....reasons) and won't even show up if I type "Windows Update" or "Update" in the search field. Also, not seeing an itemized list of updates is dumb.

I.got Geforce Experience to cooperate by uninstalling/reinstalling. Still can't make Pokki go away.

Mugsley wrote: »
    Thank You W10. It only took me 3 weeks to find out that update is nestled in Settings (instead of Control Panel because....reasons) and won't even show up if I type "Windows Update" or "Update" in the search field. Also, not seeing an itemized list of updates is dumb.

I.got Geforce Experience to cooperate by uninstalling/reinstalling. Still can't make Pokki go away.

it should show up when you type update, not sure what to tell you there :confused: . As for it being in settings. Yes, most things are in PC settings now. Control Panel is being deprecated for only legacy things.

That is really weird--if I type 'Update', it comes up.

So um. Microsoft has announced they are killing the idea of "unlimited" storage in OneDrive for Office 365 users. Now that alone isn't awful. The idea of unlimited is kind of unnecessary for cloud storage, Since really for most users a storage tier of say, 200GB is more than enough to store all your pictures, etc.

Except that that's not exactly what they are doing. In addition to removing the Unlimited thing, Office 365 will still get 1TB of storage, but to buy just storage alone, they're only offering a 50GB plan. The 100 and 200GB plans are also going away.

Also, the free storage is being reduced from 15GB to 5GB. For all users.

This is a clusterfuck of a move.

Now, my semi-educated guess is that it is related to technology problems with the OneDrive sync engine. There are is a not zero number of people who have decent amounts of storage in OneDrive, myself included, who have significant issues with the speed and reliability of OneDrive. And I'm not talking about Terabytes of data. I have about 60GB worth of pictures in OneDrive, I stopped uploading them there when I started seeing these problems. But if i wanted to sync down a 25GB folder, it would sometimes get stuck at "processing changes" for hours at a time, and when it actually finally started pulling the data down, it would be significantly slower than any cloud storage provider I've tested.

I think they significantly overestimated the capacity of the OneDrive sync engine, and there is no clear fix in sight, so they did this to try to mitigate the problem, especially since the same sync engine powers the business side of OneDrive now as well.

This is a huge blow for them and could really cut adoption of OneDrive for business, which would be a much bigger deal than any consumer side losses they'll incur.

It's a bummer (it only effects me for that initial 15 GB plan). I'll still have more than a terabyte, since I've got the loyalty and camera roll bonuses (alongside Office 365).

I honestly can't say what it means from a business standpoint. From a small consumer standpoint, I'm not worried since there are such a ridiculous laundry list of free bonuses for OneDrive one can obtain with modest effort (and I don't come anywhere near using that 1 TB myself, an have to imagine that's true for around 90% of the people who use it). The question becomes what they'll do about all those free bonus options that already exist (given this is Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised to see them grandfathering in older users).

I've had a few minor syncing issues in the past, but nothing huge--mostly slow connections failing to properly sync documents (which is my primary use for it), which is frustrating at times.

I could definitely see it being a bad thing from the business standpoint. But it's not as though MS is giving up being a server company (they're doubling down if anything), so it's entirely possible these things will be reversed--let's be serious, OneDrive is absolutely something they're committed to, which means there will be growth over time anyway as a matter of neccessity. This is just the first reversal of that growth we've had yet. Could still kill the business prospects for it though.

I forgot to mention, those bonuses are going away. Free users get 5GB. paid users get 50GB or 1TB. That's it.

I'm mostly just pissed becuase OneDrive was so good in Windows 8.1. So. Good. The idea of the app links in the file system, so all of your onedrive was always available was possibly the most brilliant cloud storage integration I've ever seen. That's what got me using OneDrive. It worked so well.

then they neutered it in Windows 10. And now they're significantly limiting the overall OneDrive product package. It looks really bad.

Again, I really think that it is technological, and they just don't have a way to fix it anytime soon.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Unlimited storage of any file type was the only compelling reason for me to subscribe to O365. I have Prime for my pictures.

OneDrive basically giving you access to an online version of MS Office anywhere in the world at any PC (provided the bandwidth available to it doesn't suck, and even then, it was fairly tolerant) put it in a league of its own. I'll have to check Windows Central (they're very good at keeping on top of this sort of thing, that's where I learned about most of my OneDrive bonuses) and see where they're going. I'm not that worried, since I have no doubt there will be other bonuses in the future, MS basically churns out various small bonuses even when no one cares anyway. It's why Bing sends me a $5 Amazon card every few weeks.

Interesting about Windows 10--on my Surface Pro, which is my only W10 system currently, OneDrive functions exactly like how it did on Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, but I'll admit I use it in a very limited, simplistic manner on that (with a full sync of offline-available files that I edit as necessary).