As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'm mostly just pissed becuase OneDrive was so good in Windows 8.1. So. Good. The idea of the app links in the file system, so all of your onedrive was always available was possibly the most brilliant cloud storage integration I've ever seen. That's what got me using OneDrive. It worked so well.

then they neutered it in Windows 10. And now they're significantly limiting the overall OneDrive product package. It looks really bad.

Again, I really think that it is technological, and they just don't have a way to fix it anytime soon.

I wonder if the OneDrive integration in Windows 8.1 was entangled at a deeper level with the filesystem than it really should have been.

There's also an issue with account logins. If you log out from OneDrive in Windows 10, any files that are sitting in the sync folder will just continue to sit there and be files without any issues. They just won't be synced. However, what would happen if you were using phantom files and logged out? Do the phantoms all have to be deleted, or should they sit there until you log back in to that or another account even though they can no longer be used to grab files? Windows 8.1 handled this by just refusing to let you use OneDrive if you're not fixed to a single profile, which is a pretty terrible solution.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm mostly just pissed becuase OneDrive was so good in Windows 8.1. So. Good. The idea of the app links in the file system, so all of your onedrive was always available was possibly the most brilliant cloud storage integration I've ever seen. That's what got me using OneDrive. It worked so well.

then they neutered it in Windows 10. And now they're significantly limiting the overall OneDrive product package. It looks really bad.

Again, I really think that it is technological, and they just don't have a way to fix it anytime soon.

I wonder if the OneDrive integration in Windows 8.1 was entangled at a deeper level with the filesystem than it really should have been.

There's also an issue with account logins. If you log out from OneDrive in Windows 10, any files that are sitting in the sync folder will just continue to sit there and be files without any issues. They just won't be synced. However, what would happen if you were using phantom files and logged out? Do the phantoms all have to be deleted, or should they sit there until you log back in to that or another account even though they can no longer be used to grab files? Windows 8.1 handled this by just refusing to let you use OneDrive if you're not fixed to a single profile, which is a pretty terrible solution.

I have to admit, but the way OneDrive functions, it's hard to imagine using with Explorer.exe integration while not constantly synced to a Live account, even back in Windows 7. Now that Live profiles took the place of offline user profiles in 8 and 10, it's even harder to imagine, but maybe I just have a really limited notion of how to use OneDrive.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if windows 10 keeps a log of notifications that appear in the action center? I just had windows complain about security on my system after downloading a manual from Asus website. Was double checking the sound card was connected correctly on the back panel after pulling the pc out for a RAM upgrade but the notification wouldn't show more information after clicking on it.

I've reboot and am running a virus scan to be sure there's nothing on the system but would really like to know what the action center actually said was wrong.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have two very minor Windows 10 issues and I can't seem to find much help for them online, and what I do find is from betas of it in March.

Basically whenever I do a restart of Windows, like when I install updates, it just hangs on the Windows logo screen with those little spiny balls going in a circle, its very annoying. When I power down and boot from off it works great. Someone suggested something with the Geolocation settings and something with the boot setting, but I've tried disabling every service I have thats not a windows service to no avail.

Also sometimes, not always, when I power off Windows shuts off, but my computer stays powered on. I've messed with BIOs settings and power settings and I've run some memory tests but I can't seem to figure it out.

Windows 10 is mostly great but its these little things that just start to wear on you.

DisruptedCapitalist
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I believe by default, the shut down command actually just hibernates. "Restart" is actually a more extreme operation than "Shut Down", now.

DisruptedCapitalist
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    my office 365 sub is about to end, and I'm honestly going back to office 2010. I basically use it for Word, and the 2010 version is about just as good as 2016 for my type of work.
    Never used One Drive, dropbox works perfectly for me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have two very minor Windows 10 issues and I can't seem to find much help for them online, and what I do find is from betas of it in March.

Basically whenever I do a restart of Windows, like when I install updates, it just hangs on the Windows logo screen with those little spiny balls going in a circle, its very annoying. When I power down and boot from off it works great. Someone suggested something with the Geolocation settings and something with the boot setting, but I've tried disabling every service I have thats not a windows service to no avail.

Also sometimes, not always, when I power off Windows shuts off, but my computer stays powered on. I've messed with BIOs settings and power settings and I've run some memory tests but I can't seem to figure it out.

Windows 10 is mostly great but its these little things that just start to wear on you.
    jothki wrote: »
    I believe by default, the shut down command actually just hibernates. "Restart" is actually a more extreme operation than "Shut Down", now.

Yes, this is exactly what's been happening to me lately. "Shutting Down" actually does nothing to resolve bad memory or just general system-wide fuckups. And when my system starts having a problem with something (and it doesn't have to be a native windows thing, it could even be Steam) it will "shut down" but then the computer will stay on for the exact amount of time until it is supposed to hibernate on its own.

The problem is solved by actually resetting the computer, but jeez Microsoft thanks for totally forgetting to mention that detail! It though I was having some major hardware failure, but nope, it was just Windows all along.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    That explains why my computer remains on after I hit shutdown. I thought it may have been an issue with my install but I guess it's working as intended?

Why is shutdown now sleep? How do I actually shut off my computer?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    No, shutdown isn't sleep. Windows 8/10 has a "fast startup" feature which is a like a chimera of S4-S5 power states, writing a small hibernation file that saves some init and driver states for the next boot, but it's supposed to be off when you do a shutdown.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    ....just hold down the power button to get a full shutdown? Or unplug the comp after you turn it off?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Shutdown isn't sleep or hibernate, because in both of those cases any apps you had running, windows you have open, etc, would be open again at boot, which is not the case.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Hey folks, question about windows 10 and upgrading. I had windows 7, and now I have 10 installed on my current pc. I am upgrading a few parts such as the CPU / Mobo. For some reason I thought I saw that if I changed this hardware it would invalidate the install I have for windows 10 that I have now. Has anyone had any experience with this? I really dont want to have to install 7 then 10 again. Thanks all!

edited November 2015
    Shutdown isn't sleep or hibernate, because in both of those cases any apps you had running, windows you have open, etc, would be open again at boot, which is not the case.

Hmm Good point, but unfortunately shutting down didn't actually solve my problem until I rebooted, so it seems like resources aren't fully released somehow.

Noizlanif wrote: »
    Hey folks, question about windows 10 and upgrading. I had windows 7, and now I have 10 installed on my current pc. I am upgrading a few parts such as the CPU / Mobo. For some reason I thought I saw that if I changed this hardware it would invalidate the install I have for windows 10 that I have now. Has anyone had any experience with this? I really dont want to have to install 7 then 10 again. Thanks all!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download Windows from here and reinstall 10 without having to install 7 again. I did the same thing the other day when I switch to a SS hard drive. I'm not sure how it already knew that I was validated but it reinstalled without any problem.

You could also just try booting with your new mobo and see what happens. I've heard stories where the current installation is able to boot just fine with only a few updates required, but it depends on whether you're upgrading your mobo by several generations I suppose.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Noizlanif wrote: »

Like every windows activation thing, the worst case is you just need to call Microsoft if it doesn't activate.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    DisruptedCapitalistSynthesis
  • NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Yea, but.. making a call. ewww.

Magic PinkStormwatcher
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Question: I upgraded to 10 and I need to reinstall all my programs, is that normal or is it because I told it that it shouldn't import my "apps" from windows 8? I told it to only import files, rather than apps and files during the configuration, thinking it just meant "apps" in the sense windows usually means of "things from the windows store." So, can I revert the upgrade and then redo it with the other option to avoid having to reinstall all my programs, or will I have to reinstall everything either way?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'd assume you can revert and redo it, yes. Doesn't hurt to try.

• HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Hey all, random question that I can't seem to find an answer for:

I'm using Win10 on my HTPC in my living room (going to my TV via HDMI). Whenever I switch inputs from my PC to my cable (or PS3, or whatever), then back to my PC, all my windows are minimized. If I'm playing a game full screen, it's minimized and I have to click on it on the toolbar to go back to it, for example. I think it has something to do with the HDMI connection going dormant while I switch away and then back, but I honestly have no idea.

Any idea why it's doing this, and what I can do to fix it?

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So my wife wants a Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book to replace her ASUS gaming laptop from a few years ago (alas, the days of the spouse and I playing WoW is over).

Has anyone had hands on either? What (besides the keyboard) does the Book give over a Pro 4? (outside of potentially better specs)

the higher end models of the Book have the dedicated GPU in the base, depending on what she needs that might make a difference.

The Book is basically closer to a "laptop with an optional giant tablet" where the Pro 4 is closer to "a tablet with a keyboard attached"

Yea, she'll be doing surfing/email/facebook for fun stuff, and really just Office stuff for work (day care lesson plans), cropping/re-sizing pictures for said class, stuff like that. She just wants something reliable, quick, and lighter than the ASUS. Heh.

Bigity wrote: »
    Yea, she'll be doing surfing/email/facebook for fun stuff, and really just Office stuff for work (day care lesson plans), cropping/re-sizing pictures for said class, stuff like that. She just wants something reliable, quick, and lighter than the ASUS. Heh.

well if she uses it a ton on her lap, the pro 4 might not be great for her. I'd see if she can like, try it somehow first.

Other than that, I've always loved the pro line. I used a pro 2 as a work computer at a previous job and it was great.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I may not be framing this question in the best way, but is there a way to get Win10 search to work more like Win8.1 search?

Upgraded to Win10 a week or so ago, and when I used Win8.1 I'd just hit the Win key and start typing "Team..." and the TeamViewer setup file (TeamViewer_Setup_en.exe) would be in the search list and I could select it and launch it. I know I can just install TeamViewer, but I prefer to run applications instead of installing them if I have the option. Now, even when I type out the whole filename it doesn't show any local file system hits in the search list, it just gives option to "search the web". The file is in my Downloads directory, just like it was in Win8.1.

I'd been using 8.1 for a couple years now and am very accustomed to how the search (Win key, then start typing) works, so I'd like to know if this is some kind of default settings tweak elsewise what kind of user training do I need to get search to work the way it used to.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    When is the win 10 update supposed to hit?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    When is the win 10 update supposed to hit?

Windows 10 gets updates every week?

He's probably talking about the big 'Fall Update'. And apparently today.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    So my wife wants a Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book to replace her ASUS gaming laptop from a few years ago (alas, the days of the spouse and I playing WoW is over).

Has anyone had hands on either? What (besides the keyboard) does the Book give over a Pro 4? (outside of potentially better specs)

I had an i5 surface pro 3 and upgraded to an i7 Book. The Book feels more solid(noticeably heavier), battery lasts longer, I had trouble balancing the pro 3 in my lap at times no such issue with the book. I found a good deal of pro 4 vs book stuff on the surface subreddit, might help you decide. My only beef with the Book is the cost, bloody thing should have diamonds in the keyboard for what MS charges.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
    Bigity
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    He's probably talking about the big 'Fall Update'. And apparently today.

yeah, I heard november update, fall update, autumn update. So today? Cool. I was going to get 10, but wanted to wait just cause I'm like that. I'm not trying to start anything, I don't think 10 is sucking my soul away. I just like waiting a little for things.

I'm still looking for a good dummies guide to windows 10 type thing though.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    ICUb wrote: »

I had an i5 surface pro 3 and upgraded to an i7 Book. The Book feels more solid(noticeably heavier), battery lasts longer, I had trouble balancing the pro 3 in my lap at times no such issue with the book. I found a good deal of pro 4 vs book stuff on the surface subreddit, might help you decide. My only beef with the Book is the cost, bloody thing should have diamonds in the keyboard for what MS charges.

Yea, when I was looking at the costs (we won't get i7 probably) - I was weeping with thoughts of how much gaming desktop that would buy.

ICUb wrote: »

Yea, when I was looking at the costs (we won't get i7 probably) - I was weeping with thoughts of how much gaming desktop that would buy.

Honestly given the cost, I'd really recommend a Surface Pro 4 myself. Unless you absolutely need to have a transforming laptop, it's more than adequate (for starters, unless you've got an insanely small slap, it is usable resting on your knees with a little practice).

If you have to have a transforming laptop, there are cheaper ones out there too. They won't have the came build quality, but I can't help but view this as the person who absolutely insists on getting a MacBook Pro over any other option when their criteria really could be met by another machine.

Maybe I just don't have the same enthusiasm for the Book as other people. I hope it does insanely well, but it's not a product for me personally (certainly not at that price point).

Well, it's my wife soo :) I'm not sure I like the cost difference but we went to Best Buy and she handled one of each, and did not like the Pro 4 at all.

So I'll probably go that route - and hey, worst case I have more bargaining room for a gaming rig replacement for myself next year :D

Well, it's my wife soo :) I'm not sure I like the cost difference but we went to Best Buy and she handled one of each, and did not like the Pro 4 at all.

So I'll probably go that route - and hey, worst case I have more bargaining room for a gaming rig replacement for myself next year :D

Well, if it's for a strategic edge in the ongoing military campaign that is marriage, by all means. :twisted:

Though again, it's a very, very high-end product. On the other hand, so's a MacBook Pro, and the Book lacks some of the debilitating disadvantages that are inherent to MacBooks (if you're using it for Windows, not demanding the purchase of another operating system, the option for proper goddamn DirectX support as opposed to being forced int OpenGL). If you're going to use its tablet features, with the advantages and disadvantages being well known, all the more reason.

I'm just a bloody cheapskate. I only own an i5 Surface Pro 3 because my office bought it for me and I'm pretty sure when my job ends, they're not going to ask for it back (and I'll reformat it and probably upgrade it for Windows 10). I bought the original Surface Pro 128 GB with my own cash, and did not regret the decision. Hopefully your Book will be the same.

I hear ya. I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro - but it's work provided. I use it to plug into routers/switches for PuTTy while my laptop stays down somewhere without having to be balanced on cages or file cabinets five feet in the air.

I'm sure it will work well, I just hope the build quality is excellent and it holds together for 5 years or so.

You know, Windows 10 is good. Like, really good. I've been using it for a year now and I think I overall like it better than Windows 7.

But Microsoft still sometimes just can't get some of the fit and finish stuff right. On a cheap windows tablet I have I installed the 1511 update a couple nights ago. I have that tablet on the "stock" OS while my PC is on insider. on the stock OS cortana wasn't enabled in Canada yet, there were workarounds but again I want to see it from a "normal user" perspective on that device. 1511 enables Cortana in Canada.

So after rebooting I go to set up Cortana. It tells me that I have to change my language settings for it to work, and to "click here for a list of supported languages" So I do so, and among the list is English. Now, I speak english, and only english. So obviously my device is in English. There's no other indication of why it isn't working.

So after a longer period of time than I'd like to admit I finally find that I have to switch my language settings from English (uniited states) to english (canada). The more stupid thing is that in the language pack selector in Win 10, all of the "sub" english languages (i.e. US, Canada, UK, Australia) etc aren't really given their own options. you have to first tap english, which then launches a sub menu with the "sub" languages.

Windows 10 was not helpful, at all, in helping me figure that out. All it ever told me was that I needed English, and did not offer any other help or suggestions as to actually resolve my problem. I do this kind of thing for a living and it screwed me up. I can't imagine what joe user would have done.

Just goes along with the totally unhelpful error messages since the dawn of time, sadly.

Yeah, apparently people hated Windows back when it gave you long, secret-code-like error message with error numbers at the end, which is what they did for at least a decade.

Then they took Mac approach--"This is not something you should be fixing, so you will not be told a damn thing. Here's a smiley face of some sort."

GaslightwunderbartemplewulfBigityDisruptedCapitalistStormwatcher
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Does Cortana now have a Canadian drawl, and drop the occasional, "eh"? Because I can't think of the reasoning behind this, other than "Canadian" English using UK spellings. I mean, I haven't lived in Canada since 1999, but I don't think the language changed since then.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Does Cortana now have a Canadian drawl, and drop the occasional, "eh"? Because I can't think of the reasoning behind this, other than "Canadian" English using UK spellings. I mean, I haven't lived in Canada since 1999, but I don't think the language changed since then.

Randomly rejects your query because it wasn't in French.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking of upgrading to Win 10 from 7. All I use my PC for is Steam games, Origin games and VLC Media player. What am I risking by upgrading?

I didn't have any issues with Steam, myself.

Lezta