As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ran avira, spybot and Malwarebytes, all clear. Will run a full scan overnite. Don't think it's malware, though.

Reinstall windows?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I think running the two commands listed here fixed it.
    Let us hope so

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Did the update--it took a lot less time than I expected--and except for my ethernet connection dropping, everything generally worked, OS wise.

Unfortunately, a few of my old games were broken (and compatibility mode won't change that). Additionally, I'm not a fan of the new Start menu interface (really, no horizontal stacking of tiles? EVERYTHING has to be 3 squares wide? Damn it.). I'm thinking I'll go back and let MS sit on Windows 10 for a while longer.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Did the update--it took a lot less time than I expected--and except for my ethernet connection dropping, everything generally worked, OS wise.

Unfortunately, a few of my old games were broken (and compatibility mode won't change that). Additionally, I'm not a fan of the new Start menu interface (really, no horizontal stacking of tiles? EVERYTHING has to be 3 squares wide? Damn it.). I'm thinking I'll go back and let MS sit on Windows 10 for a while longer.

No.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »

No.

Actually they do--I worded that poorly. All tile groups have to be three tiles wide (they leave a large gap otherwise), though the inidividual tiles can be different sizes. So you can't stack a bunch of tiles next to eachother horizontally. MS' own forums confirm that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

No.

Actually they do--I worded that poorly. All tile groups have to be three tiles wide (they leave a large gap otherwise), though the inidividual tiles can be different sizes. So you can't stack a bunch of tiles next to eachother horizontally. MS' own forums confirm that.

you can expand it to 4 in settings for the start menu. it used to be 3 only, but changed in the 1511 update.

As for the fact that it's vertical scrolling, Technically it's always been a vertical list, but in 8.x it wrapped horizontally based on the size/orientation of the display. It no longer wraps. You can also expand the tile part of the start menu by clicking and dragging on the edge of the menu, so you can have multiple columns of tiles.

Also, I'd like to say that maybe don't just go back to 8.1 after trying it for one bit of time and deciding you don't like it. Give it a couple weeks of actually using it. Just because something is different in 10 and you're used to it how it was in 8 doesn't mean that it isn't better, or that you won't get used to it if you just give it a chance instead of declaring you hate it on a first impression.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    wunderbar wrote: »

No.

you can expand it to 4 in settings for the start menu. it used to be 3 only, but changed in the 1511 update.

As for the fact that it's vertical scrolling, Technically it's always been a vertical list, but in 8.x it wrapped horizontally based on the size/orientation of the display. It no longer wraps. You can also expand the tile part of the start menu by clicking and dragging on the edge of the menu, so you can have multiple columns of tiles.

Also, I'd like to say that maybe don't just go back to 8.1 after trying it for one bit of time and deciding you don't like it. Give it a couple weeks of actually using it. Just because something is different in 10 and you're used to it how it was in 8 doesn't mean that it isn't better, or that you won't get used to it if you just give it a chance instead of declaring you hate it on a first impression.

Interesting. It must have been a very recent update, there are quite a few threads on their tech forums asking the same question, only to get the same answers.

Actually, I already switched back--those older games are pretty well broken (I may change back when I complete them), and also out of curiosity. As I suspected, you do not necessarily want to use the restore function if you can help it. In my case, it was remarkably quick, but it also broke the Windows Time service (to the point where two different tech support people from Microsoft couldn't fix it, and advised I recreate my primary profile), which I wasn't doing. For anyone curious, Windows Time breaking is a bad thing because it basically triggers nonstop time glitch security flags, some of which cannot be bypassed in Chrome (or IE), basically crippling your basic browsing capabilities unless your reset your security settings to the bare minimum, which is probably not a great idea either. Troubleshooting on a PC that can barely browse the internet is pretty hilarious, you might as well be offline. It also caused sfc /scannow errors, but practically anything can cause those, so that's pretty forgivable.

Thankfully, this did prove what I wanted to test: AOMEI's backup image function works flawlessly (even if it is goddamn slow on a USB drive--surprisingly fast to write the backup though), especially compared to Windows 10's restore to Windows 8.1. It's really nice to have the option just to keep a ~250 GB disk image of an entire OS (as well as a large number of games, documents, etc.) on a portable drive just in case something happens--in my own case, I almost never have any sort of hard ware failure that would cause a drive to become unreadable, but I do get OS problems that cannot be fixed without something extremely drastic, or an outright reformat, so it's nice to have the option when experimenting.

I think I'll basically be forced make the switch when Xbox One's own Windows 10's integration matures fully. Not to mention those titles I do want to finish. Until then, there's really nothing I need it for, except some nice GUI improvements (at the cost of some disappointing GUI fumbles). If that weren't the case, I probably would've switched months ago. I definitely don't blame anyone who's happy with the switch, especially if they don't give a shit about certain aspects of Windows 8/8.1 functionality (like if they're coming from 7), but it's not really for me right now.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    the update for the tiles was in November.

And as for the Time thing breaking, it's unfortunate that it happened to you, but I rolled back a couple of machines from 10 to 8.1 and 7 for testing purposes, and didn't encounter any issues at all with the roll backs. So while you had a bad experience that doesn't mean that it's something that more than a small minority encounter.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    the update for the tiles was in November.

And as for the Time thing breaking, it's unfortunate that it happened to you, but I rolled back a couple of machines from 10 to 8.1 and 7 for testing purposes, and didn't encounter any issues at all with the roll backs. So while you had a bad experience that doesn't mean that it's something that more than a small minority encounter.

As a "solution" limiting it to four sucks too, especially given the ability to drag the panel out (the merits of vertical versus horizontal arrangements notwithstanding, I have a lot more space in one direction than the other). I have no doubt it's not a consistent issue (unlike the tile issue, which basically just pisses people off by design unless they don't care), but there are enough issues that I would absolutely recommend anyone with the know how, and a spare drive, to use free software to make a drive image before updating. There is absolutely no harm to it (and the process is far more forgiving than it was in the past).

It probably won't happen. If it (or anything else) does, and Microsoft can't fix it, you're SOOL.

Again, I completely understand why people would make the switch. I absolutely do not regret switching back in the slightest. It's not that Windows 10 Pro is bad, it certainly isn't, but right now, for my purposes Windows 8.1 Pro is excellent (and doesn't drop my ethernet every so often and require a restart--I'm sure that'll get ironed out soon, and I have zero problems waiting).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I got a mini bluetooth speaker as a gift and I'm trying to make the following happen:

Play music both on the speakers in the living room and through the bluetooth speaker in the kitchen. I only have the default Win10 sound mix stuff and the utterly useless Realtek HD Audio configuration software installed.

What would you recommend to make my dream come true?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man. Kaspersky broke my dad's PC something fierce We're getting an infinite loop with an WDF Violation followed by another error, and the boot USB with windows 10 on it can't seem to do anything. I just tried to tell it to go back to the previous build, but it's not doing anything either.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    I got a mini bluetooth speaker as a gift and I'm trying to make the following happen:

Play music both on the speakers in the living room and through the bluetooth speaker in the kitchen. I only have the default Win10 sound mix stuff and the utterly useless Realtek HD Audio configuration software installed.

Quick search turned up someone saying a program called Voice Meeter could do this.

• Options

it'd probably be more complicated than it is worth.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Man. Kaspersky broke my dad's PC something fierce We're getting an infinite loop with an WDF Violation followed by another error, and the boot USB with windows 10 on it can't seem to do anything. I just tried to tell it to go back to the previous build, but it's not doing anything either.

looks like a PC reset is in line =/

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Actually, with time the reset to the previous build worked, dropping it to 10260 or something like that. It just wouldn't reboot on its own. Once I forced the issue, it rebuilt itself fine.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Quick search turned up someone saying a program called Voice Meeter could do this.

I've had reasonable success with Virtual Audio Cables. https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/2o78au/using_vac_obs_to_exclude_skype_audio_requesting/

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Upgraded to 10 and I'm honestly very glad with it, atleast for now. It is noticeably faster than 8, looks very nice, nothing is too hard to find and I even think that having two "Options"-places is not a bad thing. Control panel is for PC-stuff, the other one is for other (works for PC-stuff too).

Start menu is ok, I haven't properly tweaked it yet.

So far so good, let's hope it stays that way too!

Grebnu on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Does anyone happen to have a good grasp on when it's going to be impossible to find prebuilt systems that don't have Windows 10 installed? At some point in the next few years I'd like to replace my gaming desktop with something mid-range, but I'm starting to get worried about getting locked out if I wait too long.

• Options
    Sooner than you think. Windows 7 and 8.1 will not support, at a hardware level, anything past skylake. This means that drives *will* start to become an issue.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/63943/microsoft-finds-another-way-to-force-windows-10-upgrade-on-businesses

• Options
    Another new win10 build today.

I know microsoft said they're going to do more faster fast ring builds, but we're at one a week now, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I had 3 devices on fast ring, and I've turned 2 of them to slow ring now, just because doing builds once a week is getting... a bit much.

I know people said they wanted more frequent builds, but that was when we were getting one every like, 2 months. I'd be ok if we saw something new every couple of weeks or something.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Since I'm still waiting to make the switch over the more builds they toss out the better! Go daily Microsoft, work those bugs out!:P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So uh... Is there a way to make a Windows 10 tablet last for more than a few days in stand by?

My 80€ Lenovo android tablet manages 45 days in standby until the battery runs out, my 350€ windows tablet barely manages three days..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    They've got a lot of bugs to work out. 10586 broke the Powershell fixes people use to fix broken Windows 10 apps. Edge is still a tire fire. User accounts are breaking. Mail is a hot mess and has been since beta.

I like Windows 10 a lot, but there are some issues that need to be addressed quickly.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    So uh... Is there a way to make a Windows 10 tablet last for more than a few days in stand by?

My 80€ Lenovo android tablet manages 45 days in standby until the battery runs out, my 350€ windows tablet barely manages three days..

45 days is more of an outlier than the 3 days. Good or bad, I'd say that 3 days of standby for any battery powered device is about what you should expect in the majority of cases.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Nope, three days is absolute shit... I end up only using my android tablet because it's simply always ready, I just tap power and it's there.

It's not as if it really needs to do anything at all during that time in standby.

With the windows tablet, I need to shut it down completely as to not kill the battery, and the thing takes longer to boot up than my laptop, because the built in memory is slower than my SSD.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Nope, three days is absolute shit... I end up only using my android tablet because it's simply always ready, I just tap power and it's there.

It's not as if it really needs to do anything at all during that time in standby.

With the windows tablet, I need to shut it down completely as to not kill the battery, and the thing takes longer to boot up than my laptop, because the built in memory is slower than my SSD.

my android tablet, the Shield, gets 3-4 days if I don't touch it. So do most. That's closer to the norm.

The only suggestion I would have is to turn wifi off on the windows one when you're not using it. that'll probably add a bit of time, as it won't sync things in the background.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular

my android tablet, the Shield, gets 3-4 days if I don't touch it. So do most. That's closer to the norm.

The only suggestion I would have is to turn wifi off on the windows one when you're not using it. that'll probably add a bit of time, as it won't sync things in the background.

You're misinterpreting 'not touching it' with 'standby'. Those are 2 different things.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    darren66 wrote: »

You're misinterpreting 'not touching it' with 'standby'. Those are 2 different things.

not really.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

45 days is more of an outlier than the 3 days. Good or bad, I'd say that 3 days of standby for any battery powered device is about what you should expect in the majority of cases.

My slowly desintegrating 2012 Nexus 7 running Cyanogen-mod goes for almost a month without charge if I leave it sitting in standby. If your Android tablet only lasts three days in standby, you've probably got apps installed that are frequently waking the tablet up to sync stuff; the stock OS is really good about conserving battery life.

Frem on
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »

My slowly desintegrating 2012 Nexus 7 running Cyanogen-mod goes for almost a month without charge if I leave it sitting in standby. If your Android tablet only lasts three days in standby, you've probably got apps installed that are frequently waking the tablet up to sync stuff; the stock OS is really good about conserving battery life.

Correct. I use my devices.

Could I make my device last longer than 3-4 days on standby? Sure. All it would need to do would be to remove all of the things that I actually do on the tablet when I'm using it, and the battery life would be so much better. I'm perfectly ok having to charge my devices in order to use them to their full potential on a regular basis.

(that came off way more sarcastically/dickish than I wanted it to, don't take it that way)

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I updated to Windows 10 from 7 two days ago and everything seems fine but how do I turn off the constant "we turned on windows defender" notification?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Frem wrote: »

Correct. I use my devices.

Could I make my device last longer than 3-4 days on standby? Sure. All it would need to do would be to remove all of the things that I actually do on the tablet when I'm using it, and the battery life would be so much better. I'm perfectly ok having to charge my devices in order to use them to their full potential on a regular basis.

(that came off way more sarcastically/dickish than I wanted it to, don't take it that way)

When the tablet is lying around for days not being touched, it's actually pretty useless to run all kinds of background tasks that only drain the battery.

Also, 45 days is wrong, it was actually 46
    eUq0aQI.png

Edit:

Also, I'd be very okay with like.. 10 days, or so.. The usage is completely different with a longer battery life. The thing lies around almost like a book, I don't have to think about it at all, and when I want to use it, it's there in less than a second.

I didn't even miss that on my windows tablet until I had it on my android tablet.

It's just so damn good not having to worry about the battery of a device for once

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I updated to Windows 10 from 7 two days ago and everything seems fine but how do I turn off the constant "we turned on windows defender" notification?

Install an anti-virus?

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Install an anti-virus?

No, I WANT to use Windows Defender. I just don't want it constantly telling me I'm using it.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Install an anti-virus?

No, I WANT to use Windows Defender. I just don't want it constantly telling me I'm using it.

That's extremely weird, you should only be getting the notification after turning Windows Defender "back on" after turning it "off", and not every time your PC restarts. Maybe your notifications are broken?

• Options
    is the warning that it needs to/hasn't run a scan? Maybe just run a manual scan with it to see if that smartens it up.

• Options
    is the warning that it needs to/hasn't run a scan? Maybe just run a manual scan with it to see if that smartens it up.

No, it just says we turned on windows defender

• Options
    Are there any updates pending/failing for Defender? Check in Windows Update?

• Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    6tgyun6oqrny.png

Apparently win10 sees my GPU as a removable drive right now...?

Hakunin on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hakunin wrote: »
    6tgyun6oqrny.png

Apparently win10 sees my GPU as a removable drive right now...?

What... What happens if you eject it?

• Options
    For Science!