As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Yeah, my own gripe (which I fully understand not everyone shares) is that you have to arrange them vertically--I know what they're going for, but if you want to make use of screen real-estate without scrolling, it kind of sucks. They're long-running threads on Windows support griping about that (to be fair, they're also long-running threads griping about circular portraits too).

You can also something to the taskbar, as with Windows 7 and 8, though you have to hover over the 'More' option as I understand it.

...but pinning things to the start menu in 7 also arranges them vertically?

more vertically, in fact, since you have a single column?

I don't understand this complaint.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    How does the windows 10 repair re-install think compare to doing a fresh install?

What is it doing exactly? I don't care if my hard drive is wiped, I have nothing important on my OS drive.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, my own gripe (which I fully understand not everyone shares) is that you have to arrange them vertically--I know what they're going for, but if you want to make use of screen real-estate without scrolling, it kind of sucks. They're long-running threads on Windows support griping about that (to be fair, they're also long-running threads griping about circular portraits too).

You can also something to the taskbar, as with Windows 7 and 8, though you have to hover over the 'More' option as I understand it.

You... can arrange anything any way you want. They dont even have to be next to each other. dehmi33ksck7.png

jungleroomx on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

DyasAlure wrote: »
    How does the windows 10 repair re-install think compare to doing a fresh install?

What is it doing exactly? I don't care if my hard drive is wiped, I have nothing important on my OS drive.

If you tell it not to keep any data, it erases your windows install, takes the Windows 10 image that is sitting compressed on the disk and applies it to the disk. it is 99% the same as doing a fresh install on a drive that has never had windows on it before. If you choose the option to keep your data, in a simplistic term it takes your data, moves it to a tiny corner of the disk, wipes the rest and applies a new windows install, then moves the data back to where it was.

EDIT: fixed incorrect quote

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »

If you tell it not to keep any data, it erases your windows install, takes the Windows 10 image that is sitting compressed on the disk and applies it to the disk. it is 99% the same as doing a fresh install on a drive that has never had windows on it before. If you choose the option to keep your data, in a simplistic term it takes your data, moves it to a tiny corner of the disk, wipes the rest and applies a new windows install, then moves the data back to where it was.

Ok, is there always a windows 10 install on my hard drive now? I guess that is convenient, but just curious. I think this is the next step in trying to fix my issues. I hope my video card is ok, and I just corrupted windows.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

You... can arrange anything any way you want. They dont even have to be next to each other. dehmi33ksck7.png

Hey, that's cool. You couldn't do that before when I was running it.

Can you organize groups more than four tiles wide (in a grouping)? They patched it from 3 a while ago (in fact, I remember having this same discussion--and the fact that 4 is barely an improvement over 3). Real estate is at a premium if you have a lot of tiles, useless gaps are useless.

Now if only the replacements for Oblytile weren't crap by comparison. It's not that Oblytile was even that great, just that it was so much easier to use.

At least Pinmore has support for Blizzard games on Windows 10.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Can you organize groups more than four tiles wide (in a grouping)? They patched it from 3 a while ago (in fact, I remember having this same discussion--and the fact that 4 is barely an improvement over 3). Real estate is at a premium if you have a lot of tiles, useless gaps are useless.

Now if only the replacements for Oblytile weren't crap by comparison. It's not that Oblytile was even that great, just that it was so much easier to use.

Depends on the size. From what I can tell it's 6 wide with small, 3 with medium, but typically you can fit 4 groups wide on the screen and the start menu can get resized pretty large.

The fact that you can add pretty much any menu option as a "pin to start" is sweet AF.

jungleroomx on
    edited February 2016

Depends on the size. From what I can tell it's 6 wide with small, 3 with medium, but typically you can fit 4 groups wide on the screen and the start menu can get resized pretty large.

The fact that you can add pretty much any menu option as a "pin to start" is sweet AF.

Hmmm-I may have explained that poorly (or I'm just having trouble understanding). Assume below that each pair of brackets represents a two-square wide rectangle icon (the largest tile you can have, in effect. Can you do this--I'm at work, otherwise I'd post my desktop?

|----||----||----||----||----||----||----||----|oooo|--||--|
    |----||----||----||----||----||----||----|ooooooo|--||--|

(So I have 31 tiles rectangle pinned in one group--games--and then eight square tiles in another group--productivity. I'm pretty sure Windows 10 lets you name the groups too.)

Previously you couldn't do that. You had to arrange those game tiles in columns four squares wide (I prefer long tiles because of Pinmore--useful, live-tile information pops up--as well as aesthetics).

Obviously this is just my case (you couldn't do this in Windows 10 when I tried it out--if there was some way, it took a mod I couldn't find, or settings that I couldn't find). Basically I've been spoiled by the usefulness of the tile screen for both information and immediate access of games (using Start for more elaborate or productivity work), and I don't want to give that up.

Pinmore in Windows 10 is more comprehensive in coverage, but the live tile information is placed against the graphic background rather than a solid background which was a big mistake (that small text becomes unreadable frequently, or at least inconvenient)--I wonder if that can be changed, I should ask the app creator, he's very good at responding to questions. Really, for me the deal breaker is that I'd lose my Oblytiles (for all my GoG or non-Steam shortcuts), and the current replacements aren't as good. So it's my reluctance to give up my perfectly manicured desktop...

Synthesis on
    the maximum width per column in Windows 10 as of the 1511 update is 4 medium tiles, or 2 of the double wide tiles. In RTM the limit was 3 medium tiles, or 1 wide/1 medium. This changed in 1511, but is a setting you have to change. Since RTM, you have been able to have as many columns as the width/resolution of your screen can accommodate, by clicking and dragging the right hand edge of the start menu.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Mine only did 3, but I have Win10ED.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I love Windows 10. The only thing that annoys me about tiles is how fugly the little icons look for programs like iTunes and folders in your above example.

They should have baked in the ability for better icons and more customization of the image each tile shows.

steam_sig.png
    the maximum width per column in Windows 10 as of the 1511 update is 4 medium tiles, or 2 of the double wide tiles. In RTM the limit was 3 medium tiles, or 1 wide/1 medium. This changed in 1511, but is a setting you have to change. Since RTM, you have been able to have as many columns as the width/resolution of your screen can accommodate, by clicking and dragging the right hand edge of the start menu.

Yup, that's what I thought--so it hasn't changed (I really didn't expect it to in that short of a time). Two rectangles, or four squares.

Again, absolutely not important to a lot of people (but this is Microsoft, so people will complain about anything, myself included), but a reason for me not to switch yet.
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I love Windows 10. The only thing that annoys me about tiles is how fugly the little icons look for programs like iTunes and folders in your above example.

They should have baked in the ability for better icons and more customization of the image each tile shows.

This so much. I think this was a genuinely missed opportunity, but I suspect Microsoft looked at Mac OS X (which lacks the same option outside of third-party support, I believe), considered the cost, and realized this might fall into the area of "Shit we add that no one cares about, or mocks us for, or bitches about," that they've previously put millions or billions into.

And they're right, in a sense. It's just a same that, compared to the architecture in Windows 8/8.1, the framework behind tiles in Windows 10 is more complex and still largely unexplored, apparently.

you think the tiles for legacy apps look bad now? In 8.0 they were mostly text with a super small icon. It was laughable.

image52.png

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The small icon grossness continues from 8 into 10 then? That's a bit of a pain.

How much dev time would it really cost to be able to have pinned shortcuts given proper icons?

Campy wrote: »
    The small icon grossness continues from 8 into 10 then? That's a bit of a pain.

How much dev time would it really cost to be able to have pinned shortcuts given proper icons?

Not quite. look at 8.0. The text was massive, taking up about 75% of the tile. Now the text just occupies the bottom line. The icon should be bigger in 10, but 8 was way worse.

Yeah, that got patched out of 8.0 well before 8.1 hit (again, late adopter = way cool dude). By the time I bought my Surface Pro 1 on the first day they came out, they weren't a thing.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah, on my 8.1 just look like the previous picture posted on this page. Not as egregious as the horrible text monstrosities, but still pretty annoying. Especially since almost all games and programs have really nice full sized icons available online.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    you think the tiles for legacy apps look bad now? In 8.0 they were mostly text with a super small icon. It was laughable.
    image52.png

I dunno, this might look better to my eye. Maybe with a different font size.

The fact that a FOLDER doesn't have a funky tile image is ridiculous.

I use Tile Creator (http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-custom-start-tiles-tilecreator) and some icons/tiles downloaded from Deviant Art.

steam_sig.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I managed to install Windows 10 on my Chromebook and it's pretty dope.

However I need now to buy a new copy of Windows. I'd prefer not to link my Microsoft Account to Windows 10, but that seems to be the only way to buy a new key through Windows UI itself. Is there a safe and easy way for me to buy a key and have it emailed to me?

august on
    edited February 2016
    Aioua wrote: »

I can't do this, as I understand (as in horizontal, rather than vertical, arrangement).

Screenshot_zpsqbuaxqrt.png

Understand my complaint now? I don't really pin things in the Windows 7 start menu, because on an HDTV it's much more convenient (and informative) to have tiles take up real estate (and conceal them when I'm not using them). It's just something I'm not interested in giving up at the moment.

Synthesis on
    august wrote: »
    So I managed to install Windows 10 on my Chromebook and it's pretty dope.

However I need now to buy a new copy of Windows. I'd prefer not to link my Microsoft Account to Windows 10, but that seems to be the only way to buy a new key through Windows UI itself. Is there a safe and easy way for me to buy a key and have it emailed to me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588528&cm_re=windows_10-_-32-588-528-_-Product

edited February 2016

I can't do this, as I understand (as in horizontal, rather than vertical, arrangement).

Understand my complaint now? I don't really pin things in the Windows 7 start menu, because on an HDTV it's much more convenient (and informative) to have tiles take up real estate (and conceal them when I'm not using them). It's just something I'm not interested in giving up at the moment.

Edit: Nevermind, I see.

jungleroomx on
    edited February 2016

oh

I've just never heard of someone asking for win10 to be more like win8.

You can actually change it back to a full start screen if you want to, in win10 settings app

edit: if the complaint is you can't make a group that's 10 tiles wide and have it fill L->R, T->B instead of T->B, L->R then well it's not like win8 did that natively either.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    edited February 2016
    What are talking about? Windows 8 always let you do that--if there was a time where tile groups were required to be smaller, it was before the Surface Pro 1 came out.

I just have no compelling reason to change operating systems when the primary benefits to me (DirectX 12, for example) aren't yet available. The SSD optimization is almost exactly the same as what I have now, search leaves something to be desired, and if I need to use Xbox functionality, I have a Surface Pro to do that.

As this thread more than adequately demonstrates, Windows 10 still has a lot of work needed--I'm perfectly fine waiting. I waited until Windows 8.1 didn't suck before I used it on my desktop too.

EDIT: Going into tablet mode, back when installed 10, has both advantages and disadvantages--it's not really an improvement by any means. That's one of the reasons I switched back, there really wasn't a lot of advantages for use.

Synthesis on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Ooh, finally found a way to disable the touch gesture for the charms bar in Windows 8.1: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2795584

It doesn't seem to affect any of the other edge swipe gestures, so if I somehow got stuck in a metro app without a keyboard I could still kill it by swiping down.

The other thing I dont miss about Win8: Full screen apps.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So with the Raspberry Pi 3 supporting boot-from-USB, is it worth trying to load Win10 on a USB drive?

I'm looking into ways to build a small machine for my kids.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    i just looked into it and the win10 for rpi doesnt seem to run a normal desktop. instead its designed to run a single emebeded app.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So it *might* work?

the version of windows 10 isn't the windows 10 you're thinking of. It's Windows IoT (internet of things). It's an embedded OS that isn't "normal" desktop windows. It's designed to run on fridges and toasters and other connected devices.

"Normal" windows 10 won't run on the Pi because it's an ARM processor, and Win10 runs on Intel processors.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you don't have Visual Studio installed or the desire to write C# to make your Raspberry Pi to do something incredibly specific, you probably don't care about Windows IoT.

the version of windows 10 isn't the windows 10 you're thinking of. It's Windows IoT (internet of things). It's an embedded OS that isn't "normal" desktop windows. It's designed to run on fridges and toasters and other connected devices.

"Normal" windows 10 won't run on the Pi because it's an ARM processor, and Win10 runs on Intel processors.

I wonder if it's possible to get a copy of WinRT...

I wonder if it's possible to get a copy of WinRT...

No. Windows RT only ever shipped on specific hardware, and only ever supported specific hardware chipsets, etc. That would be akin to asking if you can get a copy of iOS and running it because the Pi is also based on ARM.

Besides, Windows RT was a tire fire and frankly couldn't die fast enough. Windows 10 Mobile is a lot closer to what Microsoft originally wanted Windows RT to be actually.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Not overly thrilled with 10 so far. The install stalled out twice for some reason, it converts my local account over to an online MS account without asking, the jump lists can't have the number of items shown set making them useless... sorted all of it out, but no reason I should have to do so in the first place.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've never seen it force a local account to an MS account. Maybe a setting was missed when you were doing the update?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I've never seen it force a local account to an MS account. Maybe a setting was missed when you were doing the update?

Mine did it as well.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It didn't exactly "force" it I think, it just tricked me into it I think by using their netflix app/store "Sign in, please!". Fine. Then bam. Or it did just do it like it removed a few programs without asking! Yeah, doesn't matter if they don't work, but inform me first, please.

I suppose having virtual desktops built in may came in useful at some point! Has to be something!

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    If it ever asks you to enter your password one more time, that means that it's trying to convert your account to a Microsoft account. Be aware of this, and look for other links to select.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    I ran into that same step and immediately looked it up on my phone to figure out what to click to get around it. It's not intuitive, but it is avoidable.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So, uhh...

apparently, update KB3035583, which installs win10, gets moved from optional to recommended on some license types, namely volume professional

leading to window 10 being installed automatically and without further prompt

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg