As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    I got a 25% off coupon from PAXEast for Corsair.com. I've had this in my Amazon.com wishlist for months!! I'm not building my new machine till June, but I couldn't pass up the price.

http://www.corsair.com/special-edition-white-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html

This is going to look dead sexy in the box in my office till I build it up. Can't wait. WOO!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's an awesome case. Enjoy gazing at its majesty for a few months!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Man, UPS really screwed up my Newegg order.

First they deliver my case with the side completely bashed in so I have to refuse the delivery at the door. Newegg says they won't send a replacement out until the damaged one returns. Well, I'm not waiting two weeks for their ridiculous process. Their "faster" solution is for me to double up on charges and order another one, and I'll be refunded when the damaged one comes back. Wow, such customer service. If it was Amazon, they would have overnighted a replacement on their dime. Just sayin'.

Anyway, even their "faster" method will take 5 days for their slow-ass shipping (which they still have the nerve to charge $15 for on a $100 item; I'm so used to Amazon Prime). So today I'm driving 30 miles to City of Industry to do their Local Pickup option. Not that I'm excited about that. If Newegg had actually good service, they would have sent a courier to make the drive to my apartment from their warehouse that same day.

Oh, but it gets better! The rest of my order, thermal paste and 2 case fans, was sent separately. Looking at the tracking, it was here in Los Angeles yesterday. Sweet, it must be getting delivered today, right? Nope, today it's in PORTLAND, OREGON for some reason.

Thanks, Newegg! Thanks, UPS! I have all these part sitting around that I can't do anything with until I go pick up my case because you can't be trusted to ship it (via pack mule, seemingly), and even then I still can't do anything because no thermal paste.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    I got a 25% off coupon from PAXEast for Corsair.com. I've had this in my Amazon.com wishlist for months!! I'm not building my new machine till June, but I couldn't pass up the price.

http://www.corsair.com/special-edition-white-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html

This is going to look dead sexy in the box in my office till I build it up. Can't wait. WOO!

That's the case I just used to build my new PC. It is incredible. Gorgeous, spacious, great airflow. Really, really nice.

I love it. Very glad I splurged on it, rather than a cheaper case.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I just didn't really like the look of the 600T...I like more square angles and edges on my case...so I went with the Corsair 500R :P

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    my friend went through killing two 600t's in a month or so so Corsair said screw it and sent him a case that's a step up. It's like all brushed gunmetal type metal and sexy as hell. Obsidian may have been in the same? or something like 650D? do those sound like real things.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    How did he break 2 cases in a month, or even one case?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    EVER, much less a month?

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    hey, um, dumb question from someone who hasn't owned a PC ever. Should I be turning it off at night?

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Probably a sign that I've never heard of it before, but this is gonna be a shell-shocker later, will be super-cheap, and I'm guessing will at least be an upgrade from onboard GPU?

• Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    hey, um, dumb question from someone who hasn't owned a PC ever. Should I be turning it off at night?

It'd do wonders for your power bill if you did. Also if it'd be in your bedroom ,you get better sleep by not hearing it.

455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    @Thanatos closest thing I can find to a discussion on the matter, basically the 210 and HD 2000/3000 will likely be pretty similar performance-wise. I think the AMD APU's (probably A6 or A8) would be a good fit for your purposes: a general purpose computing multi-tasking machine that can game non-demanding games in a pinch w/out discrete GPU.

• Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    @Thanatos closest thing I can find to a discussion on the matter, basically the 210 and HD 2000/3000 will likely be pretty similar performance-wise. I think the AMD APU's (probably A6 or A8) would be a good fit for your purposes: a general purpose computing multi-tasking machine that can game non-demanding games in a pinch w/out discrete GPU.
    This plus a Crucial SSD is my build so far:

BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model

OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Probably going to pick up a Pentium G850 processor to go with it. Just looking for a cheap way to give it some extra oomph for the rare gaming I'll be doing on it (it's for my parents).

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    proyebat wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »

It'd do wonders for your power bill if you did. Also if it'd be in your bedroom ,you get better sleep by not hearing it.

Aren't you just better off setting up power settings to have it go into sleep mode and power down your monitors/hard drives. That way you can power up and be running again in seconds. Not to mention reducing the likelihood of frying components. Seriously I've seen many a computer that chugged along for years past their prime in a work environment only to not come back to life after the were powered down for some reason.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    @Thanatos this combo will give you 4 cores, better mobo, and better gaming performance out of the box. I think Newegg also has a $15 off promo code (EMCNFJN29) for that A8. You could dial down the the CPU to an A6 and/or the motherboard if you really need to squeeze dimes, though if the promo code stacks with the combo this a pretty good value for a system with no discrete GPU.

• Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Aren't you just better off setting up power settings to have it go into sleep mode and power down your monitors/hard drives. That way you can power up and be running again in seconds. Not to mention reducing the likelihood of frying components. Seriously I've seen many a computer that chugged along for years past their prime in a work environment only to not come back to life after the were powered down for some reason.

That sounds like there wouldn't be much difference between sleep, and shutting off a computer. They both involve stopping/starting moving components, so the stress factor on components is still present, plus the computer still consumes power.

I've experienced a computer not boot again. This happened to a roommate's computer when he moved out. It turned out that the PSU was the culprit, and after replacing it the computer worked fine. I decided to gut the PSU for parts (I am a EE hobbyist) and found that a controller chip fried. I probably would have fixed it if the PSU wasn't a 250W OEM PSU. To the parts bin it went!

I'm put money on the environment being the factor behind failures, and to spend a little more money on quality components.

455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    @Thanatos this combo will give you 4 cores, better mobo, and better gaming performance out of the box. I think Newegg also has a $15 off promo code (EMCNFJN29) for that A8. You could dial down the the CPU to an A6 and/or the motherboard if you really need to squeeze dimes, though if the promo code stacks with the combo this a pretty good value for a system with no discrete GPU.
    When I say "this is my build so far," I mean "this is what I have purchased so far." I've probably paid, like, half of what that stuff is priced at now (I've been catching sales and Shell Shockers and such).

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Probably a sign that I've never heard of it before, but this is gonna be a shell-shocker later, will be super-cheap, and I'm guessing will at least be an upgrade from onboard GPU?

According to Tom's Hardware's monthly GPU hierarchy chart, it's just barely better than the iGPU on the Pentium Gs. So I don't think it'd be worth the money.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I turn my computer off every night instead of putting it to sleep. The primary reason being (due to some kind of known issue with overclocked Asus P67 motherboards) my computer wont wake back up when I put it to sleep. That said, with a SSD my computer goes from off to fully loaded into Windows in about 30 seconds.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Right, my bad. I do have a GTX 260 (216 core) that I've no use for. It has not insignificant power requirements though (I think a 500 watt PSU is recommended). I'd part with it for the shipping expense. PM me if you're interested.

• Options
    The GTX 260 (216 Core) is a decent older card. That's a pretty good deal for someone who's way way behind or doesn't have a discrete card at all.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    Good morning gentlemen. I'm looking into building a new rig for $1000, mostly used for gaming and schoolwork. Its been a few years since I built my last one, and I definitely haven't been keeping my diligence in researching the new tech as adamantly. I was wondering if you had a set recommendation? I'll be doing research over on my end, but I could use a few opinions from an outside source.

Thanks gents!

It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    my friend went through killing two 600t's in a month or so so Corsair said screw it and sent him a case that's a step up. It's like all brushed gunmetal type metal and sexy as hell. Obsidian may have been in the same? or something like 650D? do those sound like real things.

Yes, the Obsidian 650D.
    I'm so fond of that case, I ordered one.

• Options
    Ultros64 wrote: »
    Good morning gentlemen. I'm looking into building a new rig for $1000, mostly used for gaming and schoolwork. Its been a few years since I built my last one, and I definitely haven't been keeping my diligence in researching the new tech as adamantly. I was wondering if you had a set recommendation? I'll be doing research over on my end, but I could use a few opinions from an outside source.

Thanks gents!

At the $1000 price point, you should probably go with a high end Core i3, or one of the middle of the road i5's. With a budget that high, you can splurge a bit on performance.

On the video card front, if you can wait about a month, I would. Nvidia is about to release their mid range Keplers, and even if they are out of your price range, they will drive the prices down on AMD's mid range stuff, and the last generation.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey is monitor good for $199 (Canabucks)? As you guys may recall I'm looking to get a new monitor. I'm thinking of getting two of these.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    The Dell ultrasharps are very nice panels.

Only word of warning is that I know a few people here and there are crazy about antiglare coatings on their screens, and I think the u2312 has some AG. Not as bad as the older dell IPS screens though.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    How did he break 2 cases in a month, or even one case?

well the case itself still worked but something was wrong with the fan controllers on both of them

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I have about $190 on hand, I'm going for the processor. I have selected 3, one which was already recommended, but two others which are either cheaper, or more powerful (It seems):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-103-924
    I have been recommended this before, but I have seen its L3 cache to be 6mb, while

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-106-009
    Has 8mb, and the Ghz is already higher for $10 more, plus I think there's a one to two year warranty I can buy. Which brings it up to $150.

Then there is this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-106-010
    Heavy hitter, 6 cores, 3x2 L2, still 8 L3. 3.8 ghz stock.

2 and 3 have fans and cooling already there. I'm partial to 2, but these are processors. I would think that I wouldn't have to replace then as much as a graphics card, so I really do want to get an efficient CPU.
    Could I get some advice? (Extra info, I have an AMD motherboard, AM3+ slot, 624w power supply. XFXRadeon6870, 4gb of RAM.)

• Options
    Dritz wrote: »
    Hey is monitor good for $199 (Canabucks)? As you guys may recall I'm looking to get a new monitor. I'm thinking of getting two of these.
    For what you were talking about using them for, those would probably be great. They even have the swivel mounts, to put them in portrait mode, which is supposed to be great for programming.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I have about $190 on hand, I'm going for the processor. I have selected 3, one which was already recommended, but two others which are either cheaper, or more powerful (It seems):

I have been recommended this before, but I have seen its L3 cache to be 6mb, while

Has 8mb, and the Ghz is already higher for $10 more, plus I think there's a one to two year warranty I can buy. Which brings it up to $150.

Then there is this:

2 and 3 have fans and cooling already there. I'm partial to 2, but these are processors. I would think that I wouldn't have to replace then as much as a graphics card, so I really do want to get an efficient CPU.
    Could I get some advice? (Extra info, I have an AMD motherboard, AM3+ slot, 624w power supply. XFXRadeon6870, 4gb of RAM.)

I'd go with option two. Six cores sounds great on paper, but software just isn't there yet (especially games). Quad core should be more than enough for most desktop multi-tasking loads. The stock core clock of option two is much higher. I don't think option 1 is good because it's last generation tech. Might as well get the latest tech out there.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »

Then there is this:

It's really not possible to compare the specs between different architectures. The only way to compare them is with benchmarks.

It's not an exact comparison between the CPUs you're looking at, but this article boils down to the PII X4 980 being ~15%-20% better in gaming performance than the FX-6100 and FX-4100. And with OCing both the FX chips to 4.5GHz, they still only equal or even still come up short to a PII X4 955 OC'd to 4.0GHz.

I'd say go with the 975 and pair it with a Hyper 212+.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Try this for a general idea of what is best: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

To be honest, just go for the 4170, and an extra 4 gigs of RAM.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular

Only word of warning is that I know a few people here and there are crazy about antiglare coatings on their screens, and I think the u2312 has some AG. Not as bad as the older dell IPS screens though.

All the xx12 screen shave AG coatings, they bother some people more than most (personally, I don't mind it, but it has been proven to change colors slightly). It gets much worse on the higher pixel-density monitors (U2712 in particular).

I don't know what the options are for monitors without AG coatings in the 23" size. You can get the same 27" panel Dell uses under a different name (Catleap Q270) without the AG coating for around $400, which is a great deal. You can also remove the AG coating, but it voids your warranty.

• Options
    Yay, got my second set of Dominator DD3-1600 in. I had been running a mismatched pair of 1600mhz Dominator and some older random DDR3-1066 that I just had laying around, so I had to run my RAM at 1066. So I finally grabbed a second matching set of Dominator so I can turn the XMP profile on.

z0BWo.png

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pariel wrote: »

All the xx12 screen shave AG coatings, they bother some people more than most (personally, I don't mind it, but it has been proven to change colors slightly). It gets much worse on the higher pixel-density monitors (U2712 in particular).

I don't know what the options are for monitors without AG coatings in the 23" size. You can get the same 27" panel Dell uses under a different name (Catleap Q270) without the AG coating for around $400, which is a great deal. You can also remove the AG coating, but it voids your warranty.

I doubt it would matter to me much anyways. I really want to get two monitors so a big one for a high cost doesn't seem to be in the cards. Is there a general rule as to when AG is good and when it is bad? It seems to be marketed as a good thing.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    unless you're a monitor fanatic you probably won't care about it, and a pair of those ultra sharps is a damn good bargain

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Alright, got everything put in to the 500R. Such a nice case. Really easy to work in, and plenty of airflow. The innards of my system are quite a bit cleaner than they were in the Antec 1200. I'll post some pictures at some point.

• Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    so I need to dedust my rig. Usually I use a paintbrush - cammel hair and just brush the stuffs off and all is well. Not the cleanest but good enough as vacuums are bad and I don't trust the canned air.

Gets me thinkin though.... I have two big fans in the front and the side that are all suckin in air and they get dusty FAST. Like the next day there's dust covering the fan guards (the metal circular ones). Is there some sort of non-air-obstructive foam or filter that I can easily put in front of my fans to prevent all that dust while maintaining the air-flow integrity?

• Options
    Stockings.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Syngyne wrote: »
    If my current rig is running a Core2Duo E8500 and a Radeon 4890, will I see any benefit if I upgrade the video card to a Radeon 6870? A total system rebuild is not in going to be in the budget for a while, and I'm not sure how much my CPU is bottlenecking me in this case.

If it helps, I'm on an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard and running 4GB of PC2 6400 DDR2.

Tom's Hardware just did thier monthly breakdown. I'm still running an overlcocked 5850 to a bit over 5870 specs and it still able to compete. I've also got my C2D e8400 overclocked to 3.6 Ghz on the stock cooler. It can still compete.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html The last page breaks down best performance per tier overall. It's broken down by price range, with summary analysis and a link to their reviews.

My main consideration is that AMD have ripped out the files that allow you to unofficially overclock in 12.2 and on. I went back to 12.1 for now as the community finds the best way to hack around this. I'm hoping AMD decide this is a bad idea and change their minds, or when I do build my new rig I'll have to go with NVIDIA.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.