As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ha I triggered fraud protection ordering parts for my new build on my credit card. I had to verify the charges with my credit card company. A little bit of a hassle but at least I know that they would catch this kind of thing if it had actually been fraudulent.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well newegg voided my order then suspended my account for no apparent reason. I got my account reopened but now I have to reorder again =\

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    Okay so I installed the Samsung SSD Wizard Hat Or Whatever Utility for my SSD and it has a tab called OS Optimization, and scolds me for the following settings:

Superfetch (On)
    Defragmentation (Enabled)
    Indexing Service (Enabled)
    Samsung Power Configuration (Not Applied)

It is happy to apply 'fixes' to my problem for me but this seems like total bullshit. My understanding is Superfetch is just not noticeable with an SSD, defrag is NOT set to run on my SSD (confirmed!), the Indexing Service helps me FIND SHIT and I LIKE THAT and what the hell power settings could they be using to make my SSD run better?

Is this Samsung thing crazy?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ivy Bridge overclocking guide, anyone? (Via NeweggTV)

I feel a bit smarter but still lost after watching this.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    kingmetal wrote: »
    Okay so I installed the Samsung SSD Wizard Hat Or Whatever Utility for my SSD and it has a tab called OS Optimization, and scolds me for the following settings:

Superfetch (On)

It is happy to apply 'fixes' to my problem for me but this seems like total bullshit. My understanding is Superfetch is just not noticeable with an SSD, defrag is NOT set to run on my SSD (confirmed!), the Indexing Service helps me FIND SHIT and I LIKE THAT and what the hell power settings could they be using to make my SSD run better?

The debate on Superfetch/Prefetch is never-ending, it depends on who you ask.

Indexing is redundant on an SSD, it won't add any performance enhancements and will just wear out your drive faster as it's constantly examining files.

As for power options, my understanding is that for some reason the "idle time garbage collection" for SSDs is tied to it. See here for more details: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

steam_sig.png
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Okay, so build stalled a bit, but pictures of where I'm at right now...
    First, here is what I'm going from, mostly stripped down, but it was my biggest case ever up to this point...
    7135293679_2614441316.jpg

And this is the beast I'm going to...
    6989206706_64585248e1.jpg

Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard in the belly of the beast, with the optional cooling fans installed...
    6989209038_0f63486034.jpg

Corsair H100 installed where there used to be a 240mm fan...
    7135292925_7e196ba994.jpg

My Cocktopus of a 800W power supply, which sadly will no longer work for me...
    6989211034_96263e3061.jpg

And here is why it will no longer work...
    7135295771_446453f18b.jpg

Durp de durp

Okay, and with the 7870's, HDD's and BlueRay drive installed, loving the ability to route cables through the backplate...
    7135292167_0a9e17a70d.jpg

Now with the header and top of the case installed, might try and route these better once I get my new power supply in.
    6989213182_4d684545ed.jpg

8 pin CPU power socket is too close to the H100 Radiator to allow me to put both fans inside the case, but thankfully...
    7135297957_cc61ecc0e3.jpg

juuuuuuuust enough room for the fan on top with the the facia in place!
    Should be getting in some new G.Skill Ripsaw Ram today, and hopefully the power supply SeaSonic X-Series X-1050 tomorrow. After that its final assembly and hopefully everything goes swimmingly.

That being said, I was moving up from a older processor, and the Z77 socket installation made me cringe. Is it suppose to make that springy crunchy noise when you lock it in? I always equated that with bad news when I was building things back in the day...

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Wulf wrote: »
    That being said, I was moving up from a older processor, and the Z77 socket installation made me cringe. Is it suppose to make that springy crunchy noise when you lock it in? I always equated that with bad news when I was building things back in the day...

When I installed my LGA2011 processor, it required more force than I expected and it emitted some noises that did not inspire confidence. Works though, so you’re probably fine.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Any suggestions on a new video card?
    My current CPU is AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

I don't have a need for super high resolutions, as I use a 37 HDTV @ 1080p on my computer desk.
    Currently my GPU is a Radeon HD 5770.

I dont care if I get nvidia or amd for a new GPU... right now I got my eye on something in the geforce 560-580 range. I don't care what the price is, as long as it fits my need.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Can't go wrong with a GTX 560ti I always say.

Vegan wrote: »

Superfetch (On)

The debate on Superfetch/Prefetch is never-ending, it depends on who you ask.

Indexing is redundant on an SSD, it won't add any performance enhancements and will just wear out your drive faster as it's constantly examining files.

As for power options, my understanding is that for some reason the "idle time garbage collection" for SSDs is tied to it. See here for more details: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

Doesn't disabling the indexing service disable file-content searches though? I may need to do some testing. Not that I do a lot of file content searching at home, but in weird cases where I do it's pretty damned useful.

The power thing makes perfect sense now and I'll make that move for sure. I wish that there was some way to CHECK if TRIM was working / needed other than (hey, my drive works a little faster).

All this SSD stuff at home has really been interesting -- at work we were deploying all new laptops (Dell Latitudes) with SSDs and we were finding that the performance really wasn't all that astounding and my users were asking for larger drives. We ultimately, recently, made the decision to switch back to spindle drives.

Having an SSD at home is making me realize that we desperately need to rebuild our system image (currently using SCCM to deploy Windows 7 32bit) and look at how our current SSD fleet is optimized. I've confirmed that TRIM is enabled in the OS, but none of these other enhancements are in place. Very interesting stuff. It's making me rethink the decision we made to move back to spindle, but the cost delta is really significant and we're hiring something like 60 people a quarter so that's going to translate into some palpable savings to the business.

Badwrong wrote: »
    My current CPU is AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

I don't have a need for super high resolutions, as I use a 37 HDTV @ 1080p on my computer desk.

I dont care if I get nvidia or amd for a new GPU... right now I got my eye on something in the geforce 560-580 range. I don't care what the price is, as long as it fits my need.

Budget?

This guide seems like a good place to start: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I just ordered an EVGA 560 Ti for a new build...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814130604

It's well rated and currently on sale at $224.99 with a $25 mail in rebate...

New mid-low end Kepler based cards (currently only the high end 680 is out) are expected to be released sometime over the next couple months which are likely to become the best bang for your buck but no one really knows yet.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Budget?

This guide seems like a good place to start: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Price doesn't matter... but I dont want to buy something I don't need, since the max I'll be running at is 1080p.

minirhyder wrote: »
    Any reason to get that, instead of a 580? I want something that will last for a while... I know the 600 series cards are out soon, but I knew the newest cards are rarely worth getting right away.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Budget?

Price doesn't matter... but I dont want to buy something I don't need, since the max I'll be running at is 1080p.

minirhyder wrote: »
    Any reason to get that, instead of a 580? I want something that will last for a while... I know the 600 series cards are out soon, but I knew the newest cards are rarely worth getting right away.

It's just a great bang for your buck. It should be able to run all the current games on highest settings and you shouldn't have to upgrade for at least a year or so. I run a vanilla 560 and it's been great thus far.

• krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • DarkwyndreDarkwyndre Registered User regular
    @Alecthar - Looking for your expertise again. Going to build a rig for my wife in early September. Budget - $1500-$2000. Purpose - Gaming, all around apps. Preferences: Intel, nVidia. Need to include a monitor either at x1080 or x1200 depending on how the budget shakes out. Looking for most bang for buck and longevity. She likes the white Corsair 600T "SuperTrooper" case so that's probably already picked out. Everything else is up in the air. I can begin ordering parts that are not likely to get cheaper but the bulk of the purchase will come in late August.

Playstation Network ID : EasySleeze
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Darkwyndre wrote: »
    @Alecthar - Looking for your expertise again. Going to build a rig for my wife in early September. Budget - $1500-$2000. Purpose - Gaming, all around apps. Preferences: Intel, nVidia. Need to include a monitor either at x1080 or x1200 depending on how the budget shakes out. Looking for most bang for buck and longevity. She likes the white Corsair 600T "SuperTrooper" case so that's probably already picked out. Everything else is up in the air. I can begin ordering parts that are not likely to get cheaper but the bulk of the purchase will come in late August.

Hey man, is there a hard drive and/or optical drive you can carry over?

I'm at work at the moment and it's virtually impossible to do a detailed post on my phone. I'll hit you back on this in a few hours when I'm home.

Alecthar on
    Alecthar wrote: »

I'm at work at the moment and it's virtually impossible to do a detailed post on my phone. I'll hit you back on this in a few hours when I'm home.

Yes, there's a DVD burner that will carry over. The HDD is like 4 years old, so maybe a SSD and we can use the HDD as the secondary/data drive. I forgot to add that blu-ray capability would be a huge plus if it can fit the budget. Also, IPS panel preferred. My wife saw one and now realizes the difference in quality. This will be the first really nice build for her, so I want to make it special. Take your time, I can wait for the quality input that you always provide.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Ugh graphic cards! Can someone tell me what would be a great upgrade from my 5870 that will keep me happy for like the next 3 years? Willing to spend, just want to get a serious upgrade and not a little nudge.

Running i5-2500k at 4.5 and have 8g of ram on my Asus P8Z68-V Pro

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Yes, there's a DVD burner that will carry over. The HDD is like 4 years old, so maybe a SSD and we can use the HDD as the secondary/data drive. I forgot to add that blu-ray capability would be a huge plus if it can fit the budget. Also, IPS panel preferred. My wife saw one and now realizes the difference in quality. This will be the first really nice build for her, so I want to make it special. Take your time, I can wait for the quality input that you always provide.

It'd blow a decent amount of your budget, but imo the best IPS screen you can get for a decent price is the U2410 from Dell. I adore this monitor more than any other piece of PC equipment I've ever bought. 1920x1200, best stand ever, tons of inputs, and 100% aRBG coverage. <3

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I keep hearing rumors that around the middle of the month Nvidia is going to drop the 660 and the 670. My plan is to wait until then and pull the trigger on the best card I can get for $250-300 at the time. A lot of folks are excited about the 660/670 and I think there is good reason for that, but it's all just speculation. YMMV.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ugh graphic cards! Can someone tell me what would be a great upgrade from my 5870 that will keep me happy for like the next 3 years? Willing to spend, just want to get a serious upgrade and not a little nudge.

Well if you're willing to spend a lot, the 680 and 7970 would both be pretty serious upgrades over a 5870.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Well if you're willing to spend a lot, the 680 and 7970 would both be pretty serious upgrades over a 5870.

Maybe a 590 and 6990 too, but if he wants a "serious" upgrade those are pretty much it. Not counting anything brand new coming soon.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular

A 7870 would be a significant improvement over a 5870 in essentially every metric. A 7950 would be even more impressive, if you're so inclined.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    I feel like unless you're fine waiting for the mid range kepler parts the 7870 is where it's at right now for 1080/1200p or below gaming. Good performance, good power characteristics and it's not insanely expensive

m6eoUgQ.jpg

A 7870 would be a significant improvement over a 5870 in essentially every metric. A 7950 would be even more impressive, if you're so inclined.

And the GTX 680 outperforms both cards Alecthar listed, although AMD did drop their price points when they realized that nVidia put out what many people speculate should have been the 660 branded as the 680 and beat them in performance and power. You can also get B-Stock GTX 580's from EVGA for around $300 now. They have only a limited warranty but EVGA has been stressing customer service for a few years, so even if you break after warranty, they still often try to make you happy.

I can attest from my own rig that the 580 blows everything going out of the water. Anything beyond that is honestly overkill for at least another year or two.

The 670 is rumored to be coming soon at a $399 price point, and should draw less power and perform slightly better than the 580 if previous generational trends hold.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Is it worth it to get the gtx 680? Or can I just grab a 7950? I just want to get the best in that price range.

I feel like unless you're fine waiting for the mid range kepler parts the 7870 is where it's at right now for 1080/1200p or below gaming. Good performance, good power characteristics and it's not insanely expensive

I agree with this man. If the mid-range Keplers either don't come out soon or don't blow away the competition then a 7870 will probably get thrown in my rig.

And the GTX 680 outperforms both cards Alecthar listed, although AMD did drop their price points when they realized that nVidia put out what many people speculate should have been the 660 branded as the 680 and beat them in performance and power. You can also get B-Stock GTX 580's from EVGA for around $300 now. They have only a limited warranty but EVGA has been stressing customer service for a few years, so even if you break after warranty, they still often try to make you happy.

I can attest from my own rig that the 580 blows everything going out of the water. Anything beyond that is honestly overkill for at least another year or two.

The 670 is rumored to be coming soon at a $399 price point, and should draw less power and perform slightly better than the 580 if previous generational trends hold.

Please to be showing me where the $300 GTX580 lives, that would be a pretty slammin' deal. I see them as low as $370 on Newegg.

The 560 Ti was based on GF104, but it doesn't necessarily follow from there that GK104 should occupy the same position in the line. NVIDIA never made a dual-GPU GF104 card, so it's unlikely NVIDIA had any intention of the GTX 680 being anything less than a flagship.

My bet is that GF110 (or whatever they call it) won't be a massive improvement over current Kepler cards. In my opinion "Big Kepler" will be, at most, a follow up series of cards like the 500 series cards. At the least I'd bet on us getting a GTX 685.

Is it worth it to get the gtx 680? Or can I just grab a 7950? I just want to get the best in that price range.

For gaming at or around 1080p I think a self imposed spending limit of 350 USD is reasonable.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Wulf wrote: »

When I installed my LGA2011 processor, it required more force than I expected and it emitted some noises that did not inspire confidence. Works though, so you’re probably fine.

I hope you're right. I'm tempted to jury rig my power supply to the board just to see if it boots, since I will not have the new one until tomorrow.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • hunterspeacockhunterspeacock Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think I have a decent build, let me know what you guys think about it and what I should do differently:

Case: Corsair CC 600T White – 154.99 @ Amazon.com
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB – 44.99 @ Amazon.com
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor – 218.99 @ Amazon.com
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series 750W SLI 80 -144.99 @ Amazon.com
    Solid State Drive: 120GB INTEL 330 SERIES SSD – 144.99 @ Amazon.com
    Motherboard: P8Z77-V Pro – 225.99 @ Amazon.com
    Videocard: DIAMOND HD 7850 2GB – 269.99 @ Frys.com

So far I'm at $1,304 of my total budget of $1,500 not including tax.

I'm going to name it "The Great White Whale".

hunterspeacock on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That PSU is pretty overkill. You can save yourself some bucks there, and go with more RAM or something. You don't need more than 600W for that system, and 500W would probably do just fine.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I didn't realize 7950s came down that much. Of these three Newegg or a gtx 680 what do you think?

edited May 2012
    The 680 is going to blow those 7950's out of the water, unless you're getting a pair. Basically, for a hundred dollars more, the 680 would give you a lot more card. It's hard to recommend the 7950 at that price point, unless the person is budget constrained and can't afford a 680....because head to head, it's not really a comparison. Usually we recommend to people that the 680 is too much card for most, but if you're dead set on spending 4-500 bucks on a video card, the 680 is the way to go.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2012
    680s are the best cards around right now so if you really don't care about budget and just want the best, get one.

But it's extreme overkill for much less than a 1440p or 120hz 1080p display.

my advice is either stick with a 7870, or if you're really springing for the more expensive option go all the way to the 680.

Because the 7870 is a fantastic card for where it's situated in the performance spectrum, at least until 660/670s actually become a thing.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Yeah, the 7870 is a monster. As I've said before, if I didn't already have a 6870, and the 660 wasn't on the horizon, I'd have a 7870. You can't go wrong with the price they have it at. But if you're going to step up, step up all the way to the 680.

I mean, 7870twin frozr for 350 after rebate? Or just the DCUII version at 350? that's a hell of a card for not too much dough.

But if your budget goes for it and you don't mind paying the premium for a halo product, the 680 is definitely where it's at.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Hey does anyone happen to know if there are underlying architectural differences between the sandybridge based dual core celerons and the pentiums? I know there's a stock clock difference and the pentiums have more l3 cache but i'm not certain if there's any more basic changes.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
This discussion has been closed.