As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Hey, you gotta bleed a bit for a good build.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    TEF I WILL DESTROY YOU

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey, you gotta bleed a bit for a good build.

You are one of those guys that mixes a little of your blood in the paint when whipping up a batch of Khorne Berserkers, right?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    hey since we're talking about PSUs. I've got this HALE82 here and it's got a pair of fixed PCIE cables, but they have two 6+2 pin connectors on each cable. Haven't seen that before. Is it set up that way so it'd be one cable per GPU? Or is it just a weird and dumb thing?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    TEF I WILL DESTROY YOU
    burns.gif

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

one of us one of ussss

Y'all are a bad influence.
    So whoever was talking about the silverstone FT03 the other day? Thanks a fucking lot. I ended up picking one up. Just got here today and it is a thing of beauty.

Gonna throw my mATX build in there.

You're welcome.

And I'm jealous.

• Options
    I really wish noctua sold a budget air cooler.

Because I am in love with their mounting system and never want to have to use anything else.

Still need to try a prolimetech but dang does noctua have it right

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    PSA: Computer hardware has lots of rough and/or sharp edges. Please to not be putting the hardware in your pants.

Taking a ride in a loudmobile isn't all it's cracked up to be. And for that, the laughter will never stop.

I gave myself a viscous paper cut taking my video card out of its box.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I wish Tef didnt mention EK waterblocks because I just spent the last half hour watching videos of some dude who made a video where he installed an EK waterblock on his EVGA GTX 570 HD which I didnt know they did and now I kind of want to make a proper watercooling system but its 100 euros for the block alone....god damn it.

• Options
    We talkin' water in here?

I know a few things about water

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options

Because I am in love with their mounting system and never want to have to use anything else.

And I wish they sold fans in any other color.

• Options
    kingmetal wrote: »

And I wish they sold fans in any other color.

Speaking of, i should really get around to modding my gentle typhoons so I can swap 'em onto the d14 in place of the noctuas.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Crosspost from D3 thread...

My MX Revolution is starting to die after years of faithful service. What do I replace it with? I need something in time for D3, and I'd like it to be programmable with a thumb wheel. Don't care about wired/wireless. Any thoughts on Cyborg RATS?

• Options
    mr_mich wrote: »

My MX Revolution is starting to die after years of faithful service. What do I replace it with? I need something in time for D3, and I'd like it to be programmable with a thumb wheel. Don't care about wired/wireless. Any thoughts on Cyborg RATS?

Yeah, it's a decent mouse, if you can handle the aesthetics. It also depends on your budget and grip style

There's a thread on the front page just talking about mice you might like to read through too
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/143093/looking-for-a-mouse-for-gaming#Item_230 (not that I'm trying to say you can't ask in here)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have a RAT 7 but regardless of how adjustable it is I was never able to configure it so that my hand didn't start hurting after an hour or so. However, many people love them and I still think it's one of the coolest looking mice ever made. I made the switch to a Logitech G500 and I'm extremely happy with it. I've been thinking about getting another one to replace my MX Revolution at work that seems to drop it's wireless connection momentarily on a regular basis. I've never used one myself but I've read good things about the SteelSeries Sensei, Sensei [RAW], and Xai.

Double (triple) Edit: sorry, I missed the part about the thumb wheel. Unfortunately, I can't recall seeing one on a mouse in years other than the RAT's.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Oh my god I just discovered Bitfenix cables. Ohhhh I need to stop this right away.

If you've got a modular corsair psu they sell full sets of individual sleeved cables too

I hate that you told me this because I believe that the Seasonic X650 that I bought is compatible with these. And they're like $90 for a set, which is stupid.

But I want.

• Options

Do you need a full-on wheel or are you happy with up/down thumb buttons? Are you in love with the MX Rev's shape?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Definitely do some checking to be certain of compatibility there.

Yeah the ax650 is pretty darn close to an x650 with a different sticker on the side, but you don't wanna screw around with having your wires crossed.

And by checking I mean examine the wiring diagrams for both. You Really don't wanna flub that up

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my god I just discovered Bitfenix cables. Ohhhh I need to stop this right away.

If you've got a modular corsair psu they sell full sets of individual sleeved cables too

I hate that you told me this because I believe that the Seasonic X650 that I bought is compatible with these. And they're like $90 for a set, which is stupid.

But I want.

Simple* solution? Sleeve 'em yourself!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Hurry up and finish sleeving your PSU so I can be jealous already tef

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Do you need a full-on wheel or are you happy with up/down thumb buttons? Are you in love with the MX Rev's shape?
    I'd really prefer the wheel, since I use the up/down thumb buttons to go back/forth in page history. It seems like the thumbwheels are all but gone, I guess I'm one of the few who liked them. I can get used to another button mapping, but it seemed pretty awesome that I could flip tabs, refresh, and go forward/back without actually moving my fingers from their position.

I really like the RAT aesthetic, but the fact that they're MadCatz has me worried. Durability is a concern, although I've had my refurbed Revolution for 5 years.

The $60 range seems to have some interesting options...the Logitech G9x looks nice, albeit a bit gimmicky. The Corsair M60 intrigues me, although it seems a bit minimalist for the price.

And yeah, I'm pretty in love with the shape of the MX. I don't know what the claw-style is that I keep reading about, but I'm totally a full-palm guy (giggity).

mr_mich on
  • Options
    hunterspeacockhunterspeacock Registered User regular
    My Corsair 600T case and i5-2500k just showed up today.

Tomorrow my SSD and PSU show up.

Then it's off to Fry's Electronics for my motherboard, DVD-RW, RAM, OS, mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Should I get the Windows 7 OEM or retail? I worry about my mobo going bad and then having to buy a new copy.

• Options
    And yeah, I'm pretty in love with the shape of the MX. I don't know what the claw-style is that I keep reading about, but I'm totally a full-palm guy (giggity).

Claw-style means you hold the mouse by your fingertips not with your palm/hand only coming it light contact with the body of the mouse. Full-palm (I'm one too) means your palm is in constant contact with the mouse.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Yeah the ax650 is pretty darn close to an x650 with a different sticker on the side, but you don't wanna screw around with having your wires crossed.

And by checking I mean examine the wiring diagrams for both. You Really don't wanna flub that up

I seriously hope that I don't get to the point where I'm actually spending $90 on colored cables...
    I don't fully understand how, if the connectors fit, it could be different -- arent the power leads one-to-one? Wires is wires, yeah? I mean, generally.

I did look up tutorials on how to sleeve cables and it looks like way too much work. I'm a builder, but not a maker, you know?

That being said, people who sleeve their own cables are fucking heroes.

EDIT: Confirmed that the Corsair cables do not work in the X650. Different connectors, apparently. That's actually a total relief.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    Ah thanks, that's what I'd figured.

I'm reluctant to buy another Logitech mouse. Not because I haven't loved my Revolution, but because it seems unfaithful to reward Logitech for axing it and putting other shit out there. Plus, and I know this shouldn't matter much, things like the G500 look fucking atrocious to me. Then again, I like the way the RAT looks, so who the hell am I to judge. There seem to be a number of RAT owners here...how long have you had them/have they held up to abuse well? My big fear is buying one, loving it, and then it falling apart on me. I've been hurt before.

Also, let's talk mousepads. Right now I'm just using my mouse on my desk...would I gain anything from getting a mousepad? I notice my wrist starts to hurt after awhile, so I thought about getting one of those pads with a wrist rest, but some people say those are worse...I dunno.

• Options

I seriously hope that I don't get to the point where I'm actually spending $90 on colored cables...
    I don't fully understand how, if the connectors fit, it could be different -- arent the power leads one-to-one? Wires is wires, yeah? I mean, generally.

I did look up tutorials on how to sleeve cables and it looks like way too much work. I'm a builder, but not a maker, you know?

That being said, people who sleeve their own cables are fucking heroes.

EDIT: Confirmed that the Corsair cables do not work in the X650. Different connectors, apparently. That's actually a total relief.

Sometimes PSUs will have more than 1 to 1 wiring. I know that the seasonic Xs do so. If you were to peel off the sleeve on your 24 pin cable you'd find more than 24 total wires inside. It's done to assist with overall voltage monitoring/regulation, although more than that I can't tell you since I'm nowhere near an expert on PSUs.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    The underlying structure of the RAT is metal, and it's one of the most solid feeling mice I've ever used. The left and right click buttons are nice and clicky, and the main scroll wheel has a nice positive solid feel unlike my G500 which is kind of hollow feeling. I never used the thumb wheel, but it's metal and it felt great to spin/play around with. One thing to keep in mind is that it's HUGE and has very little curve compared to almost any Logitech mouse. The flatness and my full-palm grip style led to pain in hands and wrist regardless of how adjustable it is.

• Options

I'm reluctant to buy another Logitech mouse. Not because I haven't loved my Revolution, but because it seems unfaithful to reward Logitech for axing it and putting other shit out there. Plus, and I know this shouldn't matter much, things like the G500 look fucking atrocious to me. Then again, I like the way the RAT looks, so who the hell am I to judge. There seem to be a number of RAT owners here...how long have you had them/have they held up to abuse well? My big fear is buying one, loving it, and then it falling apart on me. I've been hurt before.

Also, let's talk mousepads. Right now I'm just using my mouse on my desk...would I gain anything from getting a mousepad? I notice my wrist starts to hurt after awhile, so I thought about getting one of those pads with a wrist rest, but some people say those are worse...I dunno.

I like this thinking and I support it. The G500, like most gaming mice, is a fucking eyesore -- it's actually one of the reasons I went with the G400, it's less of an abomination to my eye.

People really seem to like Razor mice. I had/have whatever the Microsoft/Razor rebrand that was out several years ago and it seemed fine, but nothing to write home about, and I hated the lighting (and was never able to keep it turned off). Apparently the sensors in Razors are really good, yadda yadda yadda. I have noticed that I seem to be able to weild my G400 better than any mouse before it, but I have no idea if that's just because I like the shape or if the sensor and fancy Steelseries mousepad are really doing their job.

I haven't heard much in the way of reliability issues with the RATs, so I bet you'd get a fair amount of use out of the thing. To me, it was just something that I would endlessly tweak and always feel like it wasn't quite right, but I'm just that kind of guy with physical things (like the seat of my car, for example). I either have to leave them the fuck alone, or spend 6 months finding the right position only to have someone reset it.

As for the ergo stuff (wrist hurting), unless you're willing to go out and get an ergo evaluation (which you should really do in your space) it's sort of a trial and error game. That being said it's probably the best use of money out of anything we talk about on this forum. Seriously. RSI is a huge, huge bitch and it sneaks up on you -- and more importantly it builds over time. Try a wrist rest, I'm sure you can get one for practically nothing and just toss it if you don't like it.

Of course, this is coming from a guy whose home setup is an ergonomic nightmare. Remind me to buy a monitor riser and a keyboard wrist rest.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of ergonomics, I bought myself a Steelcase Leap chair this Christmas and it's some of the best money I have ever spent on myself (or anything for that matter). Having a chair that's customized to the shape of my body and how I sit is incredibly comfortable and well worth the investment.

Having a chair that's truly comfortable to you is very similar to finding the right mouse for your hands and wrists. If you're able to stop by a few stores to try and get some hands on time with the mice you're thinking of buying, much like going to a store that specialized in high-end ergonomic office equipment to sit in the chairs you're going to be spending serious money on. I'll admit it could be an issue finding a store that actually has gaming mice to try out, but it's worth a try if there are more than a few your considering. Best Buy is the only place near me that would have any mice to try out, and they're selection is pretty lousy but maybe if you have a Fry's in your area you might have better luck.

Cormac on
  • Options
    I think I'm going to sleep on it, but tomorrow I'll probably order a Rat 7, SteelSeries QcK Mousepad, and this wrist-rest, which I've seen recommended on a few sites. It's apparently versatile, not firm enough to actually aggravate wrist pain, and not so intrusive against detached mousepads.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so I'd like to have a gameplan for when the ssd I just ordered gets here.

I know people always link guides for setting them up (i'll check the op after I post this) if anyone has them handy.

Also, by way of converting my current system drive to a storage drive is there an easy way to clear out windows but leave the storage files I want (in this case it's probably just steam game installs and saves). Basically I don't have to room to back them up to another drive and wipe the old system drive so I need alternatives.

• Options
    I think you could create a separate partition on that hard drive for your backup, and then format the other partition that has or will have Windows installed on it when you do the installation.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I think I'm going to sleep on it, but tomorrow I'll probably order a Rat 7, SteelSeries QcK Mousepad, and this wrist-rest, which I've seen recommended on a few sites. It's apparently versatile, not firm enough to actually aggravate wrist pain, and not so intrusive against detached mousepads.

Just a note about the QcK, which is the mousepad I have: it's really nice (if you want a cloth mousepad) but it's fucking huge. Like comically huge. I ordered the QcK, not the plus, so I can't imagine what the plus is like. It's about 1' x 1', no joke.

I'll probably replace it with something smaller, just for asthetics, but if you want a cloth mousepad it is hands down the best cloth mousing surface I've ever used.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    so I'd like to have a gameplan for when the ssd I just ordered gets here.

I know people always link guides for setting them up (i'll check the op after I post this) if anyone has them handy.

Also, by way of converting my current system drive to a storage drive is there an easy way to clear out windows but leave the storage files I want (in this case it's probably just steam game installs and saves). Basically I don't have to room to back them up to another drive and wipe the old system drive so I need alternatives.

I would suggest following this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/124198-user-profiles-create-move-during-windows-7-installation.html

Other than that, I didn't follow any of the commonly held rules about SSDs and left indexing on, my page file on my SSD, kept my power settings normal and didn't turn off prefetch. This is not an endorsement for not doing those things, I just didn't.

And as for your storage drive -- you can manually delete everything you don't want, I suppose. Just back up your steam games to a subfolder, grab your %USERPROFILE% and any other odds and ends folders you have need for (99% or more of the files and settings you care about are in your %USERPROFILE%). You can also learn the wild and mysterious ways of DISKPART to shrink your partition, create a new one, move all your data to that partition, and then expand your new partition to the full drive size. This isn't as sketchy as it sounds, but it's not something you should do unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing. (Diskpart: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415)

EDIT: Okay, I guess you could be a pansy and do all the partition resizing in the GUI via Disk Management (Start --> Run --> diskmgmt.msc). I'd still be careful. I've never lost a partition to resizing, but I've also never tried doing it with data I cared about that wasn't backed up.

EDIT EDIT: You're not a pansy for using the GUI, I use the GUI all the time. For most things.

FINAL EDIT: When you reinstall Windows on your SSD (if you choose to just delete the files on your storage drive), because your bootloader will probably still exist in its magic hidden parition on your old drive, you may need to run BCDBOOT to clean up the bootloader on your SSD. http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SwitchingMyWindows7BootDiskFromDToCWithBCDBootRatherThanBCDEdit.aspx

That's only relevant if Windows gets confused, detects your old bootloader and writes the path to the BCD of your new install (which would result in you getting prompted to boot into either your old Windows 7 install, which would fail, or your new one at boot).

kingmetal on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Have you thought about the Performance MX? Its basically the Revolution MX except it doesnt have the thumb scroll. But it can work on glass! Just a thought, I grabbed the Performance MX over the G500 since I too thought the G500 was ugly and I totally dont regret it (although I do wish I could swap between more than just the 2 DPI settings, I got pretty used to having 3 on my G7).

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    If anyone is building a HTPC or just a low power system newegg has the Corsair CX430 for $17 after mail in rebates again:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL050812&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL050812-_-EMC-050812-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17139026-L0J

Ends on the 9th so be quick if you want it.

• Options

Just a note about the QcK, which is the mousepad I have: it's really nice (if you want a cloth mousepad) but it's fucking huge. Like comically huge. I ordered the QcK, not the plus, so I can't imagine what the plus is like. It's about 1' x 1', no joke.

I'll probably replace it with something smaller, just for asthetics, but if you want a cloth mousepad it is hands down the best cloth mousing surface I've ever used.

No idea if I prefer cloth...I've been using my Revolution on a wood desk for years.

And @emp123, the thumb scroll is gone, but the new Performance MX is more than I'd like to spend. Also, I don't want to reaffirm to Logitech that they made the right decision by axing the Revolution :)

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    My Corsair 600T case and i5-2500k just showed up today.

Tomorrow my SSD and PSU show up.

Then it's off to Fry's Electronics for my motherboard, DVD-RW, RAM, OS, mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Should I get the Windows 7 OEM or retail? I worry about my mobo going bad and then having to buy a new copy.

I believe Microsoft will re-authorize OEM keys in the case of hardware failure. If you'd like to be 100% sure and you have a previous version of XP or Vista in any form, you're within the EULA to buy an upgrade copy of 7 and do a clean install.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I have a friend who swears by the quality of his razer mice, which he replaces every 6 months because something breaks or stops working correctly. Over the last 10 years I've had two mice, the old G5, and the newer G5. I didn't even need to replace the old one but I got a good deal on the new one, parents are still using the old one. I don't know what I'll do if this one ever dies, the g500 just has too many buttons, and in places where it looks easy to accidentally hit.

As far as mouse pads go, I have one of those giant 4 foot long razer goliathus mats. I'll give razer that, they know how to design stuff to look and feel good.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I have one of those giant mouse pads, too. 18"x14". It's nice not having to ever worry about reaching the boundaries. Pretty off-putting when I sit down to use someone else's 8" mouse pad.

The down-side of the cloth is that a handful of snags have appeared over the years and they trip up the mouse sensor occasionally. And the edges are peeling.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.