As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

19596979899101»

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    As far as I know, the HD release is the better one. For the HD's for one. Also better analog stick support than playing Peace Walker on a Vita.

Believe it or not, I prefer the Vita sticks to the PS3 ones now. They feel tighter.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I have no preference on the sticks. I was just referring to the difference between actual analog support and binding the D-pad to the right analog stick on the Vita.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Hm... buy the PSOne Xenogears, or wait for the HD collection to come out?

Hm...

Also, I wonder if there will ever be a Super Robot Wars released for the Vita?...

S'far as I know, there's pretty much no HD-ing that could/would ever be done on Xenogears. And Xenosaga on PS2 (the games that -could theoretically- get HD-ified) are kind of.....different and I'm not really sure how that would impact Xenogears at all. (I doubt there'd be a download code or something since Xenogears is Squeenix and Saga is Namco)

Ah, maybe I'm mixing up games then. Or just flatout remembering incorrectly.

Which is the one that's getting the collection by the end of this month? I thought it was an HD remake, but I am probably wrong!

I'm guessing you're talking about Zone of the Enders HD. We're still not sure what's happened to the Vita version, as Konami haven't mentioned it for months but then they did the same thing with the MGS Collection, so chances are, it'll come out next year.

Wow. Completely got that wrong.

So, might look into Xenogears for PSOne in the near future >.>

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Hm... buy the PSOne Xenogears, or wait for the HD collection to come out?

Hm...

Also, I wonder if there will ever be a Super Robot Wars released for the Vita?...

S'far as I know, there's pretty much no HD-ing that could/would ever be done on Xenogears. And Xenosaga on PS2 (the games that -could theoretically- get HD-ified) are kind of.....different and I'm not really sure how that would impact Xenogears at all. (I doubt there'd be a download code or something since Xenogears is Squeenix and Saga is Namco)

Ah, maybe I'm mixing up games then. Or just flatout remembering incorrectly.

Which is the one that's getting the collection by the end of this month? I thought it was an HD remake, but I am probably wrong!

I'm guessing you're talking about Zone of the Enders HD. We're still not sure what's happened to the Vita version, as Konami haven't mentioned it for months but then they did the same thing with the MGS Collection, so chances are, it'll come out next year.
    Peace Walker HD is the best version of the game, unless you are fully intent on playing it on the go.
    If you guys say that I'll get the most enjoyment out of the HD version, then HD it is. Though seriously, when the fudge are we going to get Portable Ops on the Vita?! I need to finish that one before I can start Peace Walker.
    The PAL version's compatible... But honestly, don't worry about it. PO is the worst game in the canon series, has horrendous controls (even with the second analog) and isn't important at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they've retconned it out of existence entirely, as they haven't mentioned a single part of the story since it came out.

Anyway, so I guess I'll once again be making the new thread?
    The best part about MGS:PO is the story cutscenes, and there really aren't all that many of them. Youtube them, and call it good.

I was only a bit of the way into Portable Ops, but you guys say it was honestly that bad compared to the rest? Then why is Peace Walker that much better? PO reviewed so well when it came out.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    A better question is probably what doesn't make Peace Walker that much better and the answer is nothing.

PO has the worst controls. They took MGS3 Subsistence's gameplay (including the 3D camera) and tried to shove it on a system with far less buttons and only one analog stick. It didn't work and was horrible. Then when you get to the level design and scenario, it wasn't much good either.

PW's controls were vastly better. It had two different control configs, one the old shitty PO style controls for people that love cramps and the other Syphon Filter-esque 'Shooter' controls, which mapped camera controls and aiming to the face buttons. Aiming and shooting were where they belonged, on the shoulder buttons (with an over-the-shoulder camera similar to MGS4 to aim with) and other actions were on the dpad (crawling was taken out in place of crouch walking btw). Missions were kept fairly short and there's a ton of them, all able to play with 2-4 friends co-op. And they added a huge RPG element to the game, with recruits helping to build your base up depending on their stats, unlocking new weapons and equipment for you to use on missions. Some of the unlockable weapons you can get really late in the game are completely wacky and amazing.

And lastly, from a story point of view, neither are any good. The one advantage PW has over PO though, is that with Ground Zeroes following directly after it, it's actually relevant. PO on the other hand... Nothing's been referenced from it since it came out, so there's a decent chance it's been retconned out of existence.

So I guess I'll post the third Vita thread pretty soon.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    MGS4 referenced Peace Walker. It also has three control schemes: you forgot the Monster Hunter control option.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    It did? When? And yeah, I thought there was another crappy controls option. Syphon Filter controls are the only ones that matter.

Edit: New thread is up:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/167805/ps-vita-3-0-october-of-assassinating-creeds-launching-ps-mobile-super-monkeys-balls

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Playstation Mobile is live. Go to the PSN store and there's a new tab! Already downloading Super Crate Box because I just don't do touchscreen controls but I really wanted to play this one.

Actually having buttons makes *such* a difference. Played the iOS version a ton, and after playing the Vita version I can't see myself going back.

I know the guys that developed the iOS version of Super Crate Box and I always felt terrible for skipping it... now I kinda regret skipping it (they didn't do the PSM version). It's REALLY fun. I really appreciate how fast you can play a handful of rounds and how after dying you can jump right into another game... in less than a second. For anyone on the fence, it is absolutely a showcase for PSM and has me excited about the prospect of other titles to come. I wish it had leaderboards though. Sounds like the mobile version had leaderboards.

Edit: Oops new thread.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    nathanael wrote: »
    I didn't think Silent Hill was as terrible as I'd been hearing. The combat was a little mushy, and I'm not sure how I feel about the Dead Island-style weapons system, but it was diverting enough. The sound design (especially the voices was poorly done, but the graphics were pretty, and I liked the wallpaper texture on the loading screens.

I only got a couple of minutes with it but it seemed fun. I am looking forward to spending a little more time with it. Seems like it could be a solid addition to the sparse Vita library.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Whooo Chrono Cross and Parasite Eve!

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    TrinzlerTrinzler Registered User regular
    Got Chrono Cross, FF9 and a bunch of other old school games but playing them on the dpad is lame. Is there any way to set the controls to the dual joy sticks ?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Try press+hold on the front touchscreen, see if there's some sort of setting you can configure.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Try press+hold on the front touchscreen, see if there's some sort of setting you can configure.

This should work as long as the game originally supported the dual shock controller.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

This should work as long as the game originally supported the dual shock controller.

They need to invent a way to program a stick to become the d-pad. All they need is an option to turn it off when that would conflict with the game's native programming.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.