As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]GuildWarLands 2: 96.5% more wuvwuv PRE-ORDER DETAILS IN OP OMGYES!

• Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »
    Falling damage proc abilities need to have some other bonus. Maybe make the ability on a passive cooldown and make it ignore damage from falling, since you instead are doing damage to those around you?

It sounds neat to have but the practicality of it is nonexistent. I mean I am sure there are situations where you'd use it and the fact that it exists is more flavor for the flavor god, but honestly nobody would mix/max for it considering the much better options.

I like the idea I love the idea that fun traits exist but, yeah, they are just for fun and I wish sometimes it wasn't.

I think what happened is some dev came up with the names "Descent into Madness" and "Death from Above" and thought they were too cool to not make traits out of them.

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Traits are comparable, somewhat, to just having a different weapon than the standard in TF2 anyway. Mind you without the usual downsides but I think the general idea applies. Untraited skills work just fine, traits just make them cooler.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I dunno, I think the non-standard weapons in TF2 affect how you play much more than traits seem to.

In most cases, it seems like you won't even be able to tell what trait build an opponent is using unless you break out a calculator.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The traits to me seem like just passives on abilities. Different weapons in TF2 can change the way you play entirely.

Quintessin on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Different weapons in TF2 make you play differently.

Hmm, I wonder what different weapons in GW2 do?

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

It's almost like we're talking about traits, not weapons.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Right off the top of my head, an Engineer having set it up where his Elixir(s)/Elixir Gun does damage to enemies and his bombs heal allies change things up pretty drastically.

Arthil on
  • Options

That's what I'm saying.

Arthil was saying GW2 traits are like TF2 weapons.
    I'm saying that it's more like GW2 weapons are like TF2 weapons.

• Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    All I want is Death from Above to give me a Jetpack on my Warrior like in Space Marine

Is that too much to ask?

• Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Oh and a chainsword

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    How is using cover (LoS) to control the effectiveness of ranged weaponry/attacks bad? Sounds like solid tactics to me.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    How is using cover (LoS) to control the effectiveness of ranged weaponry/attacks bad? Sounds like solid tactics to me.

I didn't say it is an exploit. I used exploit as a verb. My problem with that fight mechanic is just that it's boring.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Nice of you to think they beat it by cheating, it's more obvious that they just had more skilled players.

As for your argument about the rocks not knocking back, it's now invalid. You can clearly see in MikeB's video that it does, in fact, knock the boss back. It isn't a "BOOMACROSSTHEROOMOMFGBQQ" knockback but it still pushes them.

Look at what their abilities are doing to it, then notice that every couple of seconds a chunk of the Boss's health just evaporates with, apparently, no cause.
    The problem with both videos is that they're both completely terrible at what they're doing.
    They aren't using anything other than their weapon skills, and they aren't switching their weapons, laying down buffs, or really doing anything but DPS (complaints about dodging are so last topic). They are really, really terrible at that dungeon.
    But that's perfectly fine. In their cases they probably only had about 36 hours of playtime themselves to get the system down. They aren't going to get into the game and instantly have everything on lock, especially when they artificially level themselves and have no real working knowledge of how the game is supposed to work at that level.

By the time we get into that dungeon, we will know how to pull things, we'll know how aggro works, and we'll understand that we have to actually swap weapons, use utility skills and set up buff zones. When we get to it, it'll be easy, it'll be cake, and it'll be so.. so much tastier.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    Nice of you to think they beat it by cheating, it's more obvious that they just had more skilled players.

As for your argument about the rocks not knocking back, it's now invalid. You can clearly see in MikeB's video that it does, in fact, knock the boss back. It isn't a "BOOMACROSSTHEROOMOMFGBQQ" knockback but it still pushes them.

Look at what their abilities are doing to it, then notice that every couple of seconds a chunk of the Boss's health just evaporates with, apparently, no cause.
    The problem with both videos is that they're both completely terrible at what they're doing.
    They aren't using anything other than their weapon skills, and they aren't switching their weapons, laying down buffs, or really doing anything but DPS (complaints about dodging are so last topic). They are really, really terrible at that dungeon.
    But that's perfectly fine. In their cases they probably only had about 36 hours of playtime themselves to get the system down. They aren't going to get into the game and instantly have everything on lock, especially when they artificially level themselves and have no real working knowledge of how the game is supposed to work at that level.

By the time we get into that dungeon, we will know how to pull things, we'll know how aggro works, and we'll understand that we have to actually swap weapons, use utility skills and set up buff zones. When we get to it, it'll be easy, it'll be cake, and it'll be so.. so much tastier.

Along with this, I'm pretty sure there was an NPC somewhere during the press event that let people instantly level to 30, and thus do the dungeon. They never had much time at all to actually learn the game, and most of the people spent most of their time playing ALL of the classes for short periods of time to get recordings for their youtube channels/etc. Still though, most of the Yogscast ones I see they rarely even use more than 1-5, if even using ANY of the weapon skills. You have like 14 buttons, push them. Even randomly! Just USE THEM!

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Everyone in here who talks about "raiding" and "grinding" the dungeons realizes that you only have to beat each mode of them once to get the armor they give you and that's it, right?
    There is no reason to grind a dungeon. None. You do story mode, then you do the 3 exploration modes, which all offer different dungeon layout and bosses and then you are done.
    Sure you can keep redoing it but there is no actual reason for it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Unless of course, you like it.

• Options
    Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    Wait a minute, playing a game for PLEASURE? It's like you know nothing about MMOs, Draygo.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Everyone in here who talks about "raiding" and "grinding" the dungeons realizes that you only have to beat each mode of them once to get the armor they give you and that's it, right?
    There is no reason to grind a dungeon. None. You do story mode, then you do the 3 exploration modes, which all offer different dungeon layout and bosses and then you are done.

My wife and I were just talking about this earlier, how they're changing how MMOs are approached. Taking out the grinds. That being said, I thought you got 1 armor token per run, so you'd still do it more than once?

• Options

I'm.... callin' bullshit on this one.

While I don't foresee it taking a shit ton of runs to get everything off of the vendor/drops, you aren't going to come out of your first story mode with everything you want. As for the exploration modes, each one can differ enough that doing it repeatedly shouldn't be a chore.

Besides you aren't going into the dungeon to get the gear cause it's better, you're there because it looks cool. Not getting everything that looks cool all at once is A-okay for me.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    This new thread is a lot more pedantic than the old one.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Where is this said?

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    This new thread is a lot more pedantic than the old one.

It was started mid-drought, and the last media flood was pretty extensive.

What I'm trying to say is, like the last time this was brought up, we're all very, very bored.

• Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ha?
    they yogcast guy even complained that he only got blues of the one boss they killed, think the mikeb guy also only got blues of the two bosses
    unless the thing wasn't properly done in the beta I assume only the end boss will drop a token

so unless the last boss drops something like 10 tokens I really doubt you need only one run

Enosh20 on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    shryke wrote: »

Where is this said?

It's actually the counter-argument to the stuff we're seeing in the videos. That is to say, it's the argument that goes against all the evidence we have available. Lewis even points out, rather correctly and saddeningly, that the loot earmarked for him after several of the boss fights is stuff he can't even use. Which the dev running them through tells them is always a random loot roll.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Yeah drops are all random, that's how it's meant to be. But everyone gets their own loot.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Ok I have read up on it again.
    If you do story mode, you get a story mode token which you can get a dungeon weapon with.
    If you do exploration mode you get an exploration token which you can get 1 piece of dungeon armor with.
    The stats on dungeon items are in no way better than other stuff you can find/buy/craft but they all feature unique dungeon themed looks.
    So with the help of transmutation stones you can get whatever stats you want on the unique dungeon look loot.

If my calculations are correct, you will need 6 exploration tokens to have an entire dungeon armor set, so you would need to run exploration mode 6 times.

Edit: I was never talking about the random drop loot cause that's not the point of dungeons.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Ok I have read up on it again.
    If you do story mode, you get a story mode token which you can get a dungeon weapon with.
    If you do exploration mode you get an exploration token which you can get 1 piece of dungeon armor with.
    The stats on dungeon items are in no way better than other stuff you can find/buy/craft but they all feature unique dungeon themed looks.
    So with the help of transmutation stones you can get whatever stats you want on the unique dungeon look loot.

If my calculations are correct, you will need 6 exploration tokens to have an entire dungeon armor set, so you would need to run exploration mode 6 times.

Edit: I was never talking about the random drop loot cause that's not the point of dungeons.

That's comforting to know. I pretty much do group PvE exclusively, so it's nice that you'll actually be rewarded for that.

• Options
    I think Klyka meant it in terms of need. As in, you don't need to do the dungeon more than once for story mode / 3 times for explorable if you're intent on exploring all the content the game has to offer, versus the norm in what's currently in the behemoth of the industry which is to push a button and stand in a line to beat up some bad guys for a couple of love points that you can spend on making your numbers bigger.

On the other hand, if you want to go back and get specific items, armor, or whatever, all that is there, too. But you can set up the gear such that your current gear doesn't have any attribute advantages over the dated dungeon gear, too. Aside from the coolness attribute, which is what you went back for.

Or maybe you just wanna do the dungeon again. That's cool, too. They might even reward you with a title or something. Then everyone will know you've killed King Adelbern ten thousand times without standing in the AoE once with half a group in the span of twenty seven minutes.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Just for clarification, there is a difference between grinding (which can sometimes be fun, shocking) and repetition (which is never fun and grows increasingly aggravating the more evident it becomes). GW2, like all MMOs and many games of other genres, will have grind. Unlike most other MMOs however, there will be little to no repetition.

You'll be doing the same stuff over and over, but it will be optional with other funs things to do (like crafting and mini-games/bar fights), and dynamic events and WvW and such are structured in such a way as to make said grind more of an adventure. Your collecting crafting mats and items and such out in the world and come across dynamic events which ethier aid you in your objective or spice things up, while remaining optional. In WvW, body count and resource nodes/towers/keeps being captured is what counts towards the rep grind and reward, and already we have people declaring they will live in the Mists battleground because it's so much more open and full of possibilities compared to the average BG.

With dungeons, you enjoy the story and get a sense for how the one your running works, and everyone gets a reward. Exploration mode takes the grind for further rewards in said dungeon and makes it fresh and new again. And everyone gets rewarded.

488W936.png
  • Options
    naengwen wrote: »
    I think Klyka meant it in terms of need. As in, you don't need to do the dungeon more than once for story mode / 3 times for explorable if you're intent on exploring all the content the game has to offer, versus the norm in what's currently in the behemoth of the industry which is to push a button and stand in a line to beat up some bad guys for a couple of love points that you can spend on making your numbers bigger.

On the other hand, if you want to go back and get specific items, armor, or whatever, all that is there, too. But you can set up the gear such that your current gear doesn't have any attribute advantages over the dated dungeon gear, too. Aside from the coolness attribute, which is what you went back for.

Or maybe you just wanna do the dungeon again. That's cool, too. They might even reward you with a title or something. Then everyone will know you've killed King Adelbern ten thousand times without standing in the AoE once with half a group in the span of twenty seven minutes.

So if Dungeons won't give you more powerful gear, what content does? I'm hoping it will be like GW1, where it's easy to get maximumly effective gear, and everything else is just for cosmetic value, but if the only way to get the most powerful gear is through WvW, then I'll be quite disappointed.

• Options
    Just....

Take my money already dammit.

• Options
    Oh and ArenaNet beat Penny Arcade. No beta access for forumers.

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't think there's a specific mode that gives you the strongest gear; there will eventually be a cap to it where it all becomes cosmetic.

With the introduction of stats, though, it'll be harder to find how high the gear goes.
    Draygo wrote:
    Just....

Take my money already dammit.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    Guild Wars 2 is not about reaching a goal. It's about playing and exploring.
    Sure you can set yourself goals, but the game doesn't set them for you.

It doesn't say "This is Molten Core, this is Ragnaros, he is the hardest boss, grind your way to the top and beat him and you have achieved the highest success in PvE".
    GW2 says "This is our game, this is the content. Go and check it out".
    And then you do that.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'm gonna check the content

the female mesmer booty content

gonna check it all

• Options
    Have they said anything about how the high level gear works though? Like if all the best gear comes from doing a lot of WvW, then that's tantamount to saying "grind WvW at end-game".

• Options
    There's been absolutely no evidence that the best gear comes from WvW, where did you pull this random complaint?

• Options
    Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    Where are you getting this "all the best gear comes from WvW" stuff? Based on the information we've been given, it sounds like crafting, PvE and WvW drops can all produce level-appropriate, and therefore potentially highest-level, gear.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm gonna check the content

the female norn mesmer booty content

gonna check it all

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Note the "Like" in his statement, guys. He meant it as an example.

EDIT: Think of it this way, Meister: in Guild Wars 1 right now, when you cap you can get the best gear by earning rep in PvE and getting it from reward NPCs. Or you can get the best gear by rolling up a PvP character. Or you can just walk up to the nearest vendor/player and buy the gear for next to nothing. From there, you can socket up your gear for a pittance and be ready to roll, with the only non-immediate upgrades being stuff on your weapons. Is it gear you'll like? Not necessarily. That's why you do those other things.

They've said they're setting up Guild Wars 2 in a similar manner, where you hit cap and there's little barrier to having the best possible stats for your character. Just do what you like, and you'll get the same statted gear in a similar amount of time. But no one single area is going to outpace the other, because cap is cap.

naengwen on
This discussion has been closed.