As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Regrets. The one that got away.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I used to regret a fair amount

But ultimately as I am happy with who I ended up with, I don't regret that I let a few others slip away. And as I'm happy with my current career path, I no longer regret studying the wrong subject at university. And I could regret not having worked a little harder at things like piano and dance, but it's not as if I was ever going to get to a professional level in anything anyway, and I wouldn't have been able to continue it past college regardless.

I AM glad I stuck with school and got *a* degree, even if it was the wrong degree now. To anyone thinking of quitting school I really really urge you to push on and finish. It's much easier to change career directions when you have any degree than when you have nothing.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh man.

I have so many regrets.
    My biggest is probably that my grandfather died and honestly I knew enough about the man to say he was my Father's father and kind of rude. I also never met my Paternal Granmother thanks in no small part to a certian President and a war on terror that made her home country nigh impossible to visit.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    I regret never going to university or finishing the college degree I was involved with. As well as the copious amount of drug use I got involved with when I left school. The two main reasons I've really struggled over the past 10 years to actually live a decent life.

• Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    I regret watching Mamma Mia and not working harder at university, but I doubt I'm alone in either of those.
    I also regret never finishing the robot in the garage. My fault tho, I used a petrol engine and it kept shaking itself apart.

uGn5f.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Thanks Obama

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i regret the smell of my balls right now

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    a tale of regret:
    it was the summer of '97. I was staying with my aunt for the summer in bumfuck, kentucky. my brother, cousins, and I were taken to the local walmart to spend the cash we had earned painting a giant fence. there in the electronics display case, was a copy of earthbound with a $15 price sticker on it. "surely," I thought, "this must be a mistake -- this game has been $80 every time I've looked at it." i have the saleslady price check it & it comes up as $15.
    I can't remember the specifics, but I left walmart that day not with a copy of earthbound, but with a copy of the empire strikes back soundtrack. maybe I assumed I'd get another chance next week, maybe I thought the price would be the same back home where my snes was, but somehow I had made a huge mistake.

more serious life regrets:
    I regret going to college here, instead of moving to a progressive city somewhere and starting a real life
    I regret dropping out of college, leading to the last 5 years of menial jobs and crushing debt
    I regret quitting my shitty job 6 months ago, leading to moving back in with my parents and having 0 chance of finding another job
    pretty damn soon, I'm gonna regret joining the military, burning off another 4-6 years of my life so that hopefully I can start living it afterwards
    I regret never forcing myself to go to a doctor, so I could get some pills to make the world seem ok

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I regret getting caught up with a lady who was a jerk for years.

she wasn't really a bitch, she was just a huge jerk.

she looks less attractive every time I see her now though, she is aging fast (so that's another regret I suppose)

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I regret joining the Navy. That is, I almost always regret joining the Navy. Now that I'm a bit older, though, I look back at what might have happened if I hadn't joined, and realistically speaking, the best possible outcome is that I'd be right where I am now, six years younger, with a mountain of debt looming after my graduation.

Sometimes my only regret about joining the Navy was having the bad luck to wind up in Mississippi when hurricane Katrina hit. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd be the writer I am today without having experienced that kind of horror.

Whether those two solid years of unhappiness were worth it is a question I struggle with on a regular basis.

Any conversation I have about regret would have to go further back, then. I regret that how much better life gets when you're in college was never impressed upon me, and as a result I put no effort into the cost of admission; I just barely graduated high school, even though the work was easy. I regret not going to university right after high school; community college is great when you don't have another option, but I'll always wish for the opportunities I would have had as a freshman or sophomore at a proper school. I regret that my foolish mother used my education as a power play against my dad and demanded that I go to a private religious school through eighth grade, assuring that I'd be no better educated than any public school student (and notably worse off in a lot of ways), while also draining my family's economic resources to the point that there wasn't anything left by the time the question of college turned up.

But this seems petty, like I'm blaming the world instead of owning up to my own mistakes. I don't really have a defense for this. That was my situation, and I had no control over it.

Sometimes I regret goofing off for four years after getting out of the Navy. But this is rare; I had a lot of fun with a lot of great people (most of whom, I'm sad to say, I no longer speak to for one reason or another).

That's all I've got for now.

• Options
    a tale of regret:
    it was the summer of '97. I was staying with my aunt for the summer in bumfuck, kentucky. my brother, cousins, and I were taken to the local walmart to spend the cash we had earned painting a giant fence. there in the electronics display case, was a copy of earthbound with a $15 price sticker on it. "surely," I thought, "this must be a mistake -- this game has been $80 every time I've looked at it." i have the saleslady price check it & it comes up as $15.
    I can't remember the specifics, but I left walmart that day not with a copy of earthbound, but with a copy of the empire strikes back soundtrack. maybe I assumed I'd get another chance next week, maybe I thought the price would be the same back home where my snes was, but somehow I had made a huge mistake.

oh wow

this beats anything I've got

I bought earthbound in that period before the publishers cracked down on the emulation scene and all you had to do was a webcrawler search to find whatever you wanted, so it only cost me forty bucks or so

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I regret drinking bourbon in the hot tub last Friday night. Well, more accurately, I regret mostly because I keep having to explain to people what happened to my face.

I also regret not being more social in high school, I feel like now it's too late.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    hey ASP you wanna get lunch sometime

sig.png
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    Letting my social anxiety get the better of me at a party and choosing to self-medicate by going out to my car a few blocks down the road to finish the last few shots of a bottle of jack to calm my nerves, after I had told the host of said party that I wouldn't drink as I was not old enough at the time (and was a condition of attending the party).

I lost that man's respect that night, and the respect of his girlfriend, both of whom I looked up to and respected a great deal. It took me nearly a year to apologize to them because I felt like such a piece of shit. And though both have since forgiven me, I am still not welcome in their home.

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah there were some women that I should have tried harder to hold on to.

Or tried at all.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    As part of moving on after my second marriage, I have abandoned regret.

Which, really, is pretty obvious.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    that sounds like a pretty fuckin' lame party

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I regret wasting money on a study abroad trip I had to leave 1 month in because I got horrendously sick. I suppose there was no way to know what would happen going in, but the experience even without getting sick and going home wasn't worth the money.

I also regret pussying out on my chance to get braces + jaw surgery (2 year commitment) to fix my crossbite which has been pretty irritating for years.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    this is going to be kind of sappy and there isn't really much I could do about it, but I never had a father so I never learned a lot of things most people take for granted. being raised by an absentee mother and an older sister has made it difficult to grow up to be a man, as it were. It keeps me up at night sometimes. and I wish I kept doodling when I was a kid.

Go to a community college. They have weekend classes on things like basic home maintenance, minor car repairs, power tool use and safety, things like that. Going camping is another good one, makes you feel like a mountain man.

was this to me? I wasn't talking about that at all

Yeah. And if that's so, then I have no idea what you meant. Sorry!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    he's probably talking about more fundamental things than that

you're just talking about learned skills

not everyone's pop teaches them how to change the oil in a car

ain't nothin' wrong with that

I get the impression he's talking more about how men interact with people in society

here's one that you probably take for granted:

when a man walks down the street, and makes eye contact with a stranger, and holds it, there are exactly two possible meanings: 1) I want to fuck you. 2) I want to kill you.

this is part of being male and it's not something easily learned without a male role model

Shorty on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I am pretty happy with the person I am, and at peace with the choices I've made. Not that they were all good choices, but they're the choices I made, and they've made me who I am, so I don't really see the point in regretting them. I'm probably lucky in that I've never made a choice that had such a huge negative impact that it's ruined any part of my life (although there were certainly things that felt like they would at the time). I just feel like... a lot of times people who are very young (old people, too, though, obviously) have this attitude of "Well, I fucked that up, and now everything good is over for me forever." Which is virtually never the case, and I wish everyone would realize that, because I think they'd be happier.

On the other hand, I am prone to crazy depressions and stress like whoa, so. I guess I prefer to skip regret in favor of paralyzing fear of making the wrong choices about my future.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I regret getting fat again.

How did this happen.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    he's probably talking about more fundamental things than that

you're just talking about learned skills

not everyone's pop teaches them how to change the oil in a car

ain't nothin' wrong with that

I get the impression he's talking more about how men interact with people in society

here's one that you probably take for granted:

when a man walks down the street, and makes eye contact with a stranger, and holds it, there are exactly two possible meanings: 1) I want to fuck you. 2) I want to kill you.

this is part of being male and it's not something easily learned without a male role model

But that is objectively false?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I do find it funny that I think I have moved on from Regret. There were things I did regret the disaster with the girl and notebook I really no idea why I wrote, How I came to living in the great state of disenchantment. Well it not really my choice to begin with.

I do have one regret I really did not date that often no do I in general because I just don't feel that contection with many women

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just wander round wanting to fuck things and fuck up things apparently.

• Options
    exist wrote: »

The gathering was actually quite fun (social anxiety notwithstanding) and I was there most of the night. Looking back on that, I wasn't even intentionally trying to break the established rules, or break any rules at all really; I just wanted to not feel like I wasn't welcome there, among a group of some two dozen of my then closest friends. The little bit of Jack Daniels I had did just that and after about half an hour to myself, I was back inside having fun shootin the shit with everyone like nothing was wrong.

Doesn't change what I did though and I have to live with the consequences of my actions.

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i regret being a useless piece of shit for the last 10 years straight

never had a full time job, dropped out of college twice, a string of failed relationships

i am 26 and have less money + opportunities than i did aged 16

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have less money and more resonabilities ten years later the opportunities are about the same sadly
    I really find the less money rather depressing because I was in Afghanistan now I am at the hell known to men as Wal mart bored out of my mind. how I make the same money now and then is rather confusing I know I spent it all on junk and such but still.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    QuickSnap wrote: »

The gathering was actually quite fun (social anxiety notwithstanding) and I was there most of the night. Looking back on that, I wasn't even intentionally trying to break the established rules, or break any rules at all really; I just wanted to not feel like I wasn't welcome there, among a group of some two dozen of my then closest friends. The little bit of Jack Daniels I had did just that and after about half an hour to myself, I was back inside having fun shootin the shit with everyone like nothing was wrong.

Doesn't change what I did though and I have to live with the consequences of my actions.

what did you do?

like, did you actually do something to be ashamed of at that party?

because if not, I'm with the other guy. L A M E

also, uh,
    I regret most things.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Man if that guy wants a dry house, that's his house and his rules.

Dumping on a guy that shows up that's had a few before hand seems a bit harsh, he aint the boss of you 24/7

Blake T on
  • Options
    QuickSnap wrote: »

what did you do?

like, did you actually do something to be ashamed of at that party?

because if not, I'm with the other guy. L A M E

In a nutshell (I thought I'd explained this already): A friend has a gathering/food&poker night some three weeks before my 21st birthday; party is 21+. Party is amended to 18+ on the condition that I cannot drink while there, I agree and attend the party with food for all. Then the paranoia and social anxiety kick in: I feel unwanted and unwelcome. My solution to this was to go out to my car for 30 minutes and finish what remained of a bottle of Jack Daniles in my trunk from an unrelated party some months prior. Self-medication works as I expect it to, I calm down and return to the party, leaving the bottle outside. At some point thereafter (I really don't know when) I shot off a follow-up tweet to one's I had made earlier about my social anxiety to the effect of being glad I had drank the Jack as it'd taken the edge off. People not attending the party viewed this as gross rule violation and the equivalent of spitting in the face of the host after I'd "complained" about not being able to attend.

Needless to say, the host agreed, banned me from his home and any future gatherings that he might hold and that was that. Without directly intending to do so, I gave two people that I look up to and greatly respect the finger and then gloated about it after they'd unnecessarily accommodated me when they didn't have to.

...God, when I type that out like that and really look at it, I feel even worse about it. :(

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    sounds like the host just needed to pull his head out of his ass

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't even know what to say to that story. Seems like everybody involved is uptight as all hell.

I regret not having more sex through November/December. That's about it.

Oh no, wait, i regret skulling that mai tai last saturday. Goddamn.

• Options
    Yeah dude, you have some up tight fucking friends.

• Options
    I mean firstly, those people who read your twitter, then told the host, must have pretty fucking dull lives.

Secondly if I was the host and for some reason had those dumb rules enforced. I'd be annoyed a bit, but to ban you from his house is pretty fucking extreme.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    my only regret

was having

boneitis

:^:

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    my only regret is not giving that post a thumbs up sooner

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    yeah what they said, fuck 'em

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    wait I got a new regret, not giving that post a :-bd

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah dude, you have some up tight fucking friends.

Maybe I do, maybe I'm feeling too guilty about spilling milk. I never did tell the host my side of the story, about why I'd actually drank. I felt like it would only come across as an excuse, and attempt to explain away my behavior and he deserved better than that.

Incidentally, I haven't spoken to them in almost two years because of my regret and imposed guilt; go figure.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png