As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns.Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Games and Technology
1897788-bf3_banner3.png
Welcome to the BF3 thread! Here's where you go for discussion of anything Battlefield related, regardless of platform. Try not to get into any debates about Origin or EA or whatever other stupid shit you have an opinion about. Just talk about how shitty the FAMAS iron sights are and how MAV ramming and boosting is atrocious.

NEW DLC COMING IN JUNE

battle-field-3-close-quaters.jpg

Weapons list for CQ within!
Assault:

AUG A3

aug_a3-1.jpg

SCAR-L

scar_l-1.jpg

Engineer:

ACW-R (ACR)

masada-2.jpg

MTAR-21 (Tavor)

tavor_05.jpg

Support:

L86A1

l86a1.jpg

LSAT

lsat_3.jpg

Recon:

JNG-90

bora_jng90.jpg

HK417

hk417_16-1.jpg

All Kit:

SPAS-12

Spas12.jpg

MP5K

hk_mp5ka4.jpg

Battlefield 3 uses not the traditional in-game server browser of games past, but rather a new interface in a web browser known as Battlelog. Before you start off complaining about how this has completely ruined BF3 for you, wait just a second! Battlelog is very quick, clean, and to the point. It is very easy to organize and join your favorite servers, and the filters are effective and easy to set. Want to play 64 player Meatro? Three clicks and you can spend the next 1500 tickets shooting M320s into a staircase! Rather play an 8v8 Squad Rush server? Click, click, click, bam! You're playing with a group of friends to strategically overcome and capture your opponents and objectives!

Battlelog also utilizes a clan-based system for grouping together friends. They're called Platoons, and we have several! Amongst them are the 101st, 102nd, and 103rd Arcadians. In addition, there is an EU Platoon! The first two are full of players, but if you ask in the thread for one of the leaders of the 103rd or EU to invite you, you can join it easily. Here are the pages for each of the respective platoons!

2832655240976828423.jpeg?v=1319610175.83

2832655391300729794.jpeg?v=1319832955.19

2832655391320132708.jpeg?v=1319935806.12

2832655391300770298.jpeg?v=1319477797.9

We use mumble to communicate and chat whilst we play. Generally it's irrelevant bullshit, but we do occasionally try hard! Come hop in with us to play, or post in the thread that you're willing! We'll hop on and join you shortly if we see a call to arms.

The mumble and vent in the vent sticky are likely not what we are using. Mcdermott and Kakos have supplied us with VOIP mumble servers in the meantime. Here are the respective links. We're planning to use mc's for now, and thus here is the information.

heavymcd.mumble.com
wang

See you on the Battlefield, soldiers! May your jihad jeeps find their mark!

u4OkoEI.png
0Replace4Displace on

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    More stuff like Karkand would be great. I almost exclusively play B2K maps at this point.

What I don't want is a map that is literally just a building, unless that building is a huge shopping mall or something equally large.

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    More stuff like Karkand would be great. I almost exclusively play B2K maps at this point.

What I don't want is a map that is literally just a building, unless that building is a huge shopping mall or something equally large.

A shopping mall with a wide pavilion that can have LAVs driven in it would be sick.

u4OkoEI.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There are not enough 64 player rush servers. All the rush servers I've been finding are mixed between rush and conquest.

Dice should make a map that takes place in an office building and lets you go up or down multiple floors, say 6 floors worth of map, big floors, can use the elevators until they get disabled, can blow holes in certain places in the floor. Stuff like that, I could dig that.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Maybe the maps are like one room but we're really, really tiny and have to use toy vehicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJkwZlqgoXY

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    There are not enough 64 player rush servers. All the rush servers I've been finding are mixed between rush and conquest.

Dice should make a map that takes place in an office building and lets you go up or down multiple floors, say 6 floors worth of map, big floors, can use the elevators until they get disabled, can blow holes in certain places in the floor. Stuff like that, I could dig that.

Rush is not balanced for 64 players. I have tried it several times before and it is just not much fun.

That_Guy wrote: »

Rush is not balanced for 64 players. I have tried it several times before and it is just not much fun.

I enjoy playing 64 player rush, I like it way more than conquest. There just aren't enough servers for 64 player rush.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    So, as someone who just bought this game three days ago, how can I be effective at using jets? From what I gather, missles, flares, radar, etc are all unlocks. Unlocks that everyone else has, and I don't, so I'm pretty much shot out of the sky instantly. Am I missing something? Do I have anything else aside from the jet's machine gun at my disposal?

mrsatansig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    new thread woop

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    So, as someone who just bought this game three days ago, how can I be effective at using jets? From what I gather, missles, flares, radar, etc are all unlocks. Unlocks that everyone else has, and I don't, so I'm pretty much shot out of the sky instantly. Am I missing something? Do I have anything else aside from the jet's machine gun at my disposal?

Your cannon's your best tool anyways. Flares are the only important unlock, and they're at 2(3?)00 points.

u4OkoEI.png
  • deadstickdeadstick Registered User regular
    There was a german lang. video online that had some footage from the map, but it is quickly being removed from youtube. According to someone who translated and paraphrased the guy's thoughts:
    For those wondering what he was saying near the end after he finished playing and was walking through the streets, here's a basic sum-up:

Played it, unsure of what to think really. He thinks it takes the game away from Battlefield's element - vehicles, planes, big maps, etc - and moves the game into areas where it's not so strong. The map from the trailer that he played was a high-rise setup with pool, two buildings; he actually found it kind of fun, oddly enough. Destruction is even cooler than before, great animations for the maps basically being torn apart as a round goes on. The spawn system in Battlefield doesn't suit close-quarters maps very well. It's a cool idea for a DLC, but he's much more excited about the announcements yet to come.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/qlrv5/scenes_from_close_quarters_dlc/c3ykqse

I am wondering if more than one map was played. The video showed what appeared to be 1 structure, but the german video mentioned a couple structures around a pool. I think having an urban area, similar to the City area of Gulf of Oman, could be cool.

Steam ID deadstick Battlelog D3ADST1CK
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular

Your cannon's your best tool anyways. Flares are the only important unlock, and they're at 2(3?)00 points.

OK. I probably just need to practice jets a bit more. Is there a good way of spotting people for a pilot without radar?

mrsatansig.png
    I thought javelins could only be shot at ground vehicles?

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Recon can setup this thing called SOFLAM which they can use to spot enemies for their team. Using a SOFLAM with Javelins you can take out aircraft as well. You usually won't see it unless some people are coordinating to remove some very annoying aircraft. SOFLAMing is apparently dreadfully boring for the Recon, despite being essential sometimes for victory.

e: also new thread smell

Shogun on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really need to practice my jet cannoning, I wish I could find a server where my 104 hours of playtime didn't make me a newbie compared to everyone else's 200+

Edit: holy crap my win rate dropped by .07 from like a single day of team deathmatch

override367 on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    A slightly quick way to unlock jet stuff is to play a Rush map with a jet on it and strafe a tank.

And Javelins can lock on to air targets if there's a SOFLAM marking targets.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular

Once the patch hits, I think Beam Scanning + AA missiles are going to make a comeback.

edited March 2012
    Shogun wrote: »

Recon can setup this thing called SOFLAM which they can use to spot enemies for their team. Using a SOFLAM with Javelins you can take out aircraft as well. You usually won't see it unless some people are coordinating to remove some very annoying aircraft. SOFLAMing is apparently dreadfully boring for the Recon, despite being essential sometimes for victory.

Oh shit, soflam? For real? I don't think I have that yet.

Either way, I wasn't next to a tank and I got popped by a javelin. Maybe it hit a wall or something but I was laying prone. Weird.

Forget that, I think this dude is some how cheating. I know for a fact I was not near a vehicle of any kind and I got hit by the same dude using a javelin.

Stragint on

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

OK. I probably just need to practice jets a bit more. Is there a good way of spotting people for a pilot without radar?

You can see everything that the people on the ground spot for you, make sure you zoom your map out - it gets way easier to see things when flying then.

PSN: Honkalot
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular

Best bet is to find an empty, 1 player start server with vehicles. Get used to flying around first, focus on strafing a few stationary things. If you're nervous about flying in a real server, you can cheese it and drive jets on the ground. It takes forever and you're screwed if you bump into things, but you can cap bases with them and get flares, they're the main thing you need. It also helps if you have a flight stick, if not, your best bet is a mouse that can change sensitivity on the go, just throw it way up when you're flying so you can turn easier, works great in turrets too.

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you want to be effective in jets practice ramming choppers.

wakkawa on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    easiest way to get the first few jet unlocks so you can actually fly around without getting shot down in 10 seconds is this:
    1. find empty 1 player start rush server with jets
    2. swap teams to attacker
    3. fly/drive over to an mcom and arm it
    4. sucide
    5. hop in jet at spawn

you get the points for the mcom destruction applied to the jet score, so you can pretty quickly unlock a few things.
    spend the time flying to the mcoms to practice and get used to how they handle.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

Either way, I wasn't next to a tank and I got popped by a javelin. Maybe it hit a wall or something but I was laying prone. Weird.

Forget that, I think this dude is some how cheating. I know for a fact I was not near a vehicle of any kind and I got hit by the same dude using a javelin.

it is possible his javelin was meant to go behind whatever terrain you were near. If you lock on a vehicle that was say on a road behind you but that vehicle takes cover behind a building the javelin will not always hop the building/hill/whatever to hit the tank. It may slam into the terrain and explode.

it is possible his javelin was meant to go behind whatever terrain you were near. If you lock on a vehicle that was say on a road behind you but that vehicle takes cover behind a building the javelin will not always hop the building/hill/whatever to hit the tank. It may slam into the terrain and explode.

Maybe the first time it happened on Karkand, there was a building behind me and the missile may have swerved low (I got a double kill once because my javelin missile flew into a building) but the second time on Oman, there was nothing near me. I was laying prone behind a bunch of crates so no one could see me. I was MAVing from the first spawn point and all the vehicles were up at the first two com stations.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

The CITV station on the tank fills the same role. Nothing like dropping a helo with a tanks guided shell.

It is pretty hilarious when it's a race of javs heading to a target.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rush is not balanced. I have tried it several times before and it is just not much fun.
    Fixed for accuracy.

Also, who the fuck let Shiashi make the OP? This is why we can't have nice things!

EDIT: Also, new mouse engage along with a 17" x 24" mousepad for ultimate mousing comfort and class. Dat sniper button is going to be used extensively.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah, the first unlock on jets can be brutal. I got it by ramming (choppers), and with a lucky kill on a ground troop. Plus a few assists. Once you have flares, you're pretty effective.

Went ahead and bumped the mumble up to 25 slots. I think we hit like 13 last night, and with my luck it'd get full the night I wasn't around to respond. Also added a couple more chat channels, don't be afraid to set up shop in there with some dudes and play other stuff if you feel the need, as long as there's space. I may someday troll for donations to keep it up, but for the moment this is my way of giving back to the community, since I've spent countless hours on various PA servers (games, vent, mumble, etc) over the years.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Oh, and for jets I recommend a gamepad not a flightstick. For choppers I recommend sticking with KB/M. But YMMV.

• Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    I think we should totally do meatro servers more often guys. I really enjoyed getting you all into the server and then leaving for something better.

TOGSolid wrote: »
    Rush is not balanced. I have tried it several times before and it is just not much fun.
    Fixed for accuracy.

Also, who the fuck let Shiashi make the OP? This is why we can't have nice things!

EDIT: Also, new mouse engage along with a 17" x 24" mousepad for ultimate mousing comfort and class. Dat sniper button is going to be used extensively.

oi

what's wrong with the op

u4OkoEI.png
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So...This talk of expanded destruction for the Close Quarters pack...I would love for them to just go through all the original and Karkand maps and make even more stuff "destructable".

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    za european platoon!

2832655391300770298.jpeg?v=1319477797.9

rRootagea on
    Added.

u4OkoEI.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Fixed for accuracy.

oi

what's wrong with the op
    Nothing, it's just that now you're in control which means DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

wWuzwvJ.png
    Fixed for accuracy.

oi

what's wrong with the op
    Nothing, it's just that now you're in control which means DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

RUNNING THIS THREAD INTO THE GROUND LIKE I RUN HELICOPTERS INTO THE GROUND

u4OkoEI.png
  • Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity I ventured to gameplay vids of 1942 (vanilla and DC) and Vietnam on Youtube and I guess my nostalgia goggles have blinded me to the fact that for the majority of the time the map changes made in BF3 are really for the best. The majority of the time the players I see are running ages to objectives or sitting in on a ship with a wrench in the middle of an empty ocean (view distance was just painful, forgot about that too). When there is action it usually ends quickly and quietly.

Game development has come a long way and DICE has followed the trends for the better.

I just hope the Close Quarters maps are more like Grand Bazzar and less Meatro. Like the last stage of Seeman crossing rush, but more of the city blocks.
    Mulletude wrote: »
    So...This talk of expanded destruction for the Close Quarters pack...I would love for them to just go through all the original and Karkand maps and make even more stuff "destructable".

Agreed. As long as I don't fall into the world ala Beta again DICE is welcome to make those changes.

Hey guys what if "End Game" is a bridge DLC. As in the start of the war that was being fought in 2142.

• Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Oh, and for jets I recommend a gamepad not a flightstick. For choppers I recommend sticking with KB/M. But YMMV.

I'm an average jet pilot, and I would recommend the KBAM for everything. If you really suck and think it will make you better a wired x360 pad works ok. Joysticks are a no go for this game, for the most part all the control inputs are binary so a throttle is yuck. I think Carbon uses a joystick for some of the flying bits, so you should ask him how he sets it up.

• Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    Sigh, I love this game. Tonight however, it has been one terrible team after another. I don't ask for much in my team. Just the ability to hold one point (on the 360 so there are usually only 3 points). Apparently, that is WAY too much to ask for.

steam_sig.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey guys what if "End Game" is a bridge DLC. As in the start of the war that was being fought in 2142.

... The Cold War that is being fought in 2142 world in October 2139. Still a ways off from the near future. </nerd>

Anyone playing tonight?