As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Scat, where are you?

Also, question... what's the best way to get heli-piloting practice? Find a big empty server somewhere?

EDIT: Lulz. I found a flight practice server. I'm uh... pretty bad at this.
    1.)Get BF1942
    2.)Install the Desert Combat mod
    3.)Practice the Helos offline against some lulzy bots (mostly just to have moving target practice)
    4.)Be the best fucking chopper pilot in the world in every other game because DC's choppers were ultra-maneuverable and super twitchy and made you into a god damn man. You haven't lived until you've done barrel rolls in a little bird down a crumbling urban street 10 feet off the ground.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just jump on an empty conquest server that is running Caspian and practice.

To truly appreciate how easy BF3's choppers actually are, one must experience the manliness of the DC chopper!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    So does pretty much everyone play this on PC?
    Or are there some 360 bros to shoot mans with?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Plenty of 360 bros. In fact we have our own angry dome courtesy of Mulletude. If you are US check out the 82nd Arcadians (I think there is still room).

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Scat, where are you?

Also, question... what's the best way to get heli-piloting practice? Find a big empty server somewhere?

1.)Get BF1942
    3.)Practice the Helos offline against some lulzy bots (mostly just to have moving target practice)
    4.)Be the best fucking chopper pilot in the world in every other game because DC's choppers were ultra-maneuverable and super twitchy and made you into a god damn man. You haven't lived until you've done barrel rolls in a little bird down a crumbling urban street 10 feet off the ground.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just jump on an empty conquest server that is running Caspian and practice.

To truly appreciate how easy BF3's choppers actually are, one must experience the manliness of the DC chopper!

Knowing how to hover a DC chopper made you something like that of a god.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Plenty of 360 bros. In fact we have our own angry dome courtesy of Mulletude. If you are US check out the 82nd Arcadians (I think there is still room).

Ok, sweet. I may pick it up then.
    I rage to much with MW3, so I'm hoping playing a BF3 will be better for my blood pressure since you can do stupid hijinks with exploding vehicles and whatnot.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    fyi, if you hit someone just right with the mav it isn't destroyed in the process.

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    More people should probably be playing this. I'm about to jump into a 24/7 metro server...

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

Ok, sweet. I may pick it up then.
    I rage to much with MW3, so I'm hoping playing a BF3 will be better for my blood pressure since you can do stupid hijinks with exploding vehicles and whatnot.

The server is set to start with 2 people. So if you wanna fuck around it's a good place to do it if it isn't full. Hoping that about a month down the road, all the stupid servers expire and there's a more refined list and that we can keep the dome full more consistently.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    Playing hardcore with a suppressed an-94 with an IRVN scope is so ridiculously easy... and fun!

lagbagg.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I have to wonder what the reasoning behind crippling the Stinger's lock on range is. Pretty sure the real Stinger is capable of locking on and engaging targets of extreme distance. Yet this one seems to have a magic range of 100-300m and thats it. Makes engaging A-10s and any of the fast movers next to impossible outside of lucky shots.

• Options
    I have to wonder what the reasoning behind crippling the Stinger's lock on range is. Pretty sure the real Stinger is capable of locking on and engaging targets of extreme distance. Yet this one seems to have a magic range of 100-300m and thats it. Makes engaging A-10s and any of the fast movers next to impossible outside of lucky shots.

I would be ok with the shorter range if they were actually useful. To me it's a waste of a slot. Might as well have Javs or RPG there instead.

And I think their reasoning is they wanted to make them area denial weapons. But with how fast the flares work, they are even less useful.

Nothing beats pulling of that one shot RPG kill on a helo though.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Stingers and Iglas are the same they've always been. Use more than one at a time and it'll be successful. Stare at the sky solo and you're gonna have a bad time.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    @furlion is 82nd Arcadians an xbox tag? Or is that some stat tracker thing I need to sign up for?
    I sent a friend invite to PA BF3 (and Dug Danger), now to actually get a copy...

• Options
    Scat, where are you?

1.)Get BF1942

Knowing how to hover a DC chopper made you something like that of a god.

In all honesty, having flown the DC choppers when that game was still a thing pretty much spoiled me. The choppers in other games are just so boring in comparison. :(

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    @furlion is 82nd Arcadians an xbox tag? Or is that some stat tracker thing I need to sign up for?
    I sent a friend invite to PA BF3 (and Dug Danger), now to actually get a copy...

No it's the PA BF3 platoon on battlelog. It is not really necessary to join up but I just thought I would point it out. You can search for 82nd Arcadians or just go here http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655391310780007/ on the battlelog website.

• Options

No it's the PA BF3 platoon on battlelog. It is not really necessary to join up but I just thought I would point it out. You can search for 82nd Arcadians or just go here http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655391310780007/ on the battlelog website.

I wondered if it was something like that. Thanks!
    The game doesn't have a one use code or anything to sign up for that does it? Like if I get a copy used am I going to have to buy some dumb unlock just to play/join the platoon?

• Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    No you can buy a used copy for the xbox, you will have to pay for the DLC (back to karkand) though

dont listen to me...

heckels on
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    heckels wrote: »
    No you can buy a used copy for the xbox, you will have to pay for the DLC (back to karkand) though

Doesn't the Xbox version have an online code?

• Options
    Yes like most EA games these days it comes with a one time use Online Pass activation code. Costs $10 if do not buy a new copy so if you are going to buy used make sure the price difference is bigger then that between the new copy and the used copy. Battlelog on the other hand is free and is just the BF3 portion of EA's new Origin game sales store.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I finally unlocked the .44 magnum. I really like this gun.

• Options
    Yes like most EA games these days it comes with a one time use Online Pass activation code. Costs $10 if do not buy a new copy so if you are going to buy used make sure the price difference is bigger then that between the new copy and the used copy. Battlelog on the other hand is free and is just the BF3 portion of EA's new Origin game sales store.

Oh...Wonderful...

Nice work EA, great way to get people to make the move to your game by making sure they pay even more money for it!
    Oh yeah, and there's not even a trial version to see if I like the game at all. I guess they really really want their money, regardless of satisfying the customer.

Well, I may get this game, then. I'll have to find a cheap new copy or an appropriately low cost used copy before I jump in.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Yes, curse those devils for wanting money for something they produced that would otherwise get them no money at all.

• Options
    stfuadstfuad Registered User regular

Oh...Wonderful...

Nice work EA, great way to get people to make the move to your game by making sure they pay even more money for it!
    Oh yeah, and there's not even a trial version to see if I like the game at all. I guess they really really want their money, regardless of satisfying the customer.

Well, I may get this game, then. I'll have to find a cheap new copy or an appropriately low cost used copy before I jump in.

A month after BF3 was released on PC it was 50% off through Origin... So anyone who bought it when it came out got shafted...

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    stfuad wrote: »

Oh...Wonderful...

A month after BF3 was released on PC it was 50% off through Origin... So anyone who bought it when it came out got shafted...

I feel like I got my money's worth with BF3 and I preodered. Games are worth about a dollar per hour of fun to me. With 250 hours in, I am still enjoying it.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, there is love for DICE. We want them to have our money.

I got the Augmented edition and some extra stuff for Deus Ex so Square-Enix-Eidos got some extra cash from me.

I mean, stuff like Skyrim and BF3 are worth more than 50/60 bucks.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yesterday I very seriously tried to be useful in a tank in Caspian, but they have indeed made them worthless.

Jets will very easily disable you in one single pass, to which they turn around and finish you off. Or if you're running around with 80% or so health, one run from a jet is sure death. Helis of course destroy them by just glancing at them. Maybe if jets weren't fucking magical hovering machines this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

• Options
    Yes, curse those devils for wanting money for something they produced that would otherwise get them no money at all.

Inorite!

I understand they're a business trying to make money.
    But being a CoDbro, if I pick up the game from Craigslist or something a $10 disincentive is enough to keep me away from the game (base cost depending). Yeah, $10 isn't much, but it means I'm willing to pay a certain amount less to acquire the game in the first place.
    Just a bummer is all. But I'll keep the hunt on because it does look like some fun could be had.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I feel like I got my money's worth with BF3 and I preodered. Games are worth about a dollar per hour of fun to me. With 250 hours in, I am still enjoying it.

Same here. Hell we got our money's worth out of our preorders even before the god damn game was released. Dem Beta shenanigans yo.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Also, there is love for DICE. We want them to have our money.

I got the Augmented edition and some extra stuff for Deus Ex so Square-Enix-Eidos got some extra cash from me.

I mean, stuff like Skyrim and BF3 are worth more than 50/60 bucks.

Yeah. I feel like I have gotten my moneys worth times about 10 so far with BF3.

And @Shiashi regarding stinger and igla...Even with multiple people using you have to coordinate. Better to coordinate with Javs and SOFLAM so at least you can be a threat to armor as well.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Also worth noting that jets can outrun AA missles.

And the AA tank's missles are bugged anyways.

Choppers will just pop ECM, take cover for a few seconds and then they are fine. Pop up, shoot a TV missles then back under cover.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    How are the AA tanks missiles bugged? (I honestly don't know)

• Options
    onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    people use tv missiles? i spent 10 minutes with one and realized the control mechanism on them is shit

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    DICE's gun sounds are priceless.
    Dakkadakka. *echoecho*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The TV missiles can one hit anything from any distance. The further away they are fired the easier they are control since it gives you a lot more time to correct their path. A lot of the time the pilot will just hover a mile away from the battlefield while the asshole just abuses TV missiles. They are complete bullshit.

Also the AA tanks missiles explode 10 ft behind a jet so they deal no damage. The heat seekers from other jets do the same thing.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    And from choppers as well, I confirmed this yesterday.

• Options
    I thought flares and ecm would detonate them early...wierd

• Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think if AA missiles arc forward and into the underside of the attack helicopter and it's tilted up, they do no damage.
    Retarded.

And TV missiles are surprisingly easy to master if you solo for about 30 minutes on an empty server and begin to get a feel for what to do and not do.
    Like hit other helicopters in flight mastery.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    People aren't playing this.

:(

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Im getting on now.

Edit: God damn it, wait in queue for a couple minutes, finally get in only to have BF3 "not work" and when I rejoin the queue Im number 5.

emp123 on
  • Options
    AF-IXAF-IX (LGKAOS) Whiteman AFBRegistered User regular
    Be advised...

The official EA Battlelog app for IOS devices has launched & is available for download now!

The Choppa! Get to it!

http://bf3blog.com/2012/04/battlelog-app-available-for-ios/