As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

books

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
books

Orikaeshigitae on

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    books?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    book club! I am all for one

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I'm finishing up Anna Karenina for the first time. It's been a fun ride, drawn out at the end by knowing what is going to happen.

I think I am far from alone in identifying far more with Levin's story than Anna's, though the latter benefited from discussion with a friend about societal perceptions of gender in Russia at the time. It reads alright as a feminist work, but I still find it hard to identify with Anna.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    god i love books

broken image link
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Reading more Husserl. Except non-academically.

jesus christ

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Frequent travel has forced me to the Kindle and I love it

But heck yes I'm down for a book club, I could use a good heavy literature/reading discussion to get the brain juices moving away from AutoCAD

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    koobs

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Ever since I got a kindle I have become the Devourer of Books. Also helpful: work is always slow!

I just read The Old Man and the Wasteland, I highly recommend it if you want a post-apocalyptic fix (set 40 years after nuclear war).

Right now I am reading The Stand. Oh god. So good.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Omg guys I just keep sending myself samples of books on amazon and being unable to commit to buying anything

I just want to read EVERYTHING but I'm too poor for that.

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    i'm reading a book called Gardens of the Moon, so far it's pretty good.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

jesus christ

Awww Yeah.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    currently reading: charlie brooker

god damn the man is acerbic

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Currently reading The Kite Runner. It is quite excellent.

Also reading this and it's ok. I feel that there's a lot of bias that the author is showing towards particular subjects, but oh well.

kindles are pretty amazing. i just finished masters of doom, i wrote a review which should be going up on MD at some point

short form: i kinda feel bad for john romero!

other than that i've been rereading solaris in preparation for an essay about hard/philosophical sci fi

and playing mass effect

All this ME stuff has me jonesing to read the Foundation books again

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I've been having to read books for class and it's taken away all my fun-bookin'. Reading shit like Silent Spring all the time gets depressing.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like books

the last non-comic book I read was on the holocaust

It was grim as fuck

Useful for my essay though

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    M.D. wrote: »
    i'm reading a book called Gardens of the Moon, so far it's pretty good.

excellent

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Usagi wrote: »

man. i was gonna write about stanislaw lem but it seems like isaac asimov is just comin' up from the rear, considering nemesis and foundation an' i robot and such

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Sheri wrote: »
    Omg guys I just keep sending myself samples of books on amazon and being unable to commit to buying anything

I just want to read EVERYTHING but I'm too poor for that.

Yes this is me too. I can spend hours on Amazon browsing books and getting samples sent to my Kindle. I have so many samples. I get them faster than I can read them. I don't even remember why I chose half of them.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

jesus christ

Awww Yeah.

This is the coolest shit ever. But holy goddamn it is dense. And now I'm half-obsessed with physically representing protention in a manner that doesn't assert that one particular future is dominant in any given future-Now.

And I'm going over immortality of the transcendental-I from some recommended readings that my professor gave me. No one told me this stuff was so cool

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Amazon is a killer with its $0.99 books. I recently bought some not-good ones as a result of impulse buying.

man. i was gonna write about stanislaw lem but it seems like isaac asimov is just comin' up from the rear, considering nemesis and foundation an' i robot and such

Oh man, Solaris would be fabulous too

Human/non-human communication as a theme has always fascinated me

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Been reading Neal Stephenson's 'Anathem' in short bits this term, really good piece of fiction.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

jesus christ

Awww Yeah.

This is the coolest shit ever. But holy goddamn it is dense. And now I'm half-obsessed with physically representing protention in a manner that doesn't assert that one particular future is dominant in any given future-Now.

And I'm going over immortality of the transcendental-I from some recommended readings that my professor gave me. No one told me this stuff was so cool

Yeah, Husserl is pretty boss.

But there are more dense essays/books if you can believe it. Because as dense as Husserl could ever hope to be he will never top Kant.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I just started on Stephenson's latest, REAMDE. Which is apparently about gold farmers, viruses, and possibly the mob, but I'm only like sixty pages in so it's hard to tell at this point.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    have you read rant?

why havent you read rant yet?

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I didn't figure out what Anathem was about until like 200 pages in.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I just finished reading the Hunger Games yesterday

I really enjoyed it!

It's a legitimately good story, but man imagine how awesome it would be if it weren't limited by Young-Adult Novel writing. I'm really looking forward to the movie.

• PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    god i love books

I'm so alone

Probably some of my favourite books would be Gormenghast
    Plays to my preferences and tastes uncannily well

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    There are scenes from the book that I seriously cannot wait watching on screen

specifically
    Rue's death scene

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    It's a legitimately good story, but man imagine how awesome it would be if it weren't limited by Young-Adult Novel writing. I'm really looking forward to the movie.

This is what I've been wondering about it. Is the writing distracting? Is it very obviously targeted towards teenage girls, as it seems to be?

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    I'm currently listening to Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth. He makes evolution sound so exciting while still emphasising that shit doesn't really happen for millions of years in most cases.

Almost all the reading I do these days is on Audible, and I wonder if this is bad for me.

I'm concerned I won't like them because they are YA

Get them anyways y/n?

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    a lot of the kindle's free or low-price books are really bad, but sometimes there are a few gems in there! I like to check this site for them:
    http://blog.booksontheknob.org/

just picked up extremely loud and incredibly close for a quarter (I've already read it, but I liked it, so why not!)

I'm concerned I won't like them because they are YA

Get them anyways y/n?

Get the first one, read the second and third if you're a masochist or have friends who won't get off your back about it; wikipedia the synopsis otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.