As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    finished reading Night Circus. It's a very well crafted book, I liked it. Wonder if there's something else out there in its vein.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    I'm reading John Dies at the End again

it's just as good as the first time. I can't wait for the next one.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Probably going to pick up Night Circus after I finish the fourth Malazan book

Only about a quarter through but it seems really good so far

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Caine's Law by Matthew Stover is out and it is so good I never want it to end

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The Nibelungenlied was

Well, I'm glad I read it

And towards the end it stopped being as unbearably lists of names

Some of those listed names from before and their piles of gold and horses even ended up being important!

Still, competing with Iliad for my least favorite epic

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I have a poster with the entire Illiad on it at home.

I've never read it all, but I still consider it one of the most awesome things I own.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Whoa

That is kickass

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    I read DFW's essay on david lynch this morning. (incomplete link, i read it in "a supposedly fun thing i'll never do again", an anthology)

i think i'm in love with him and also his entire approach to essaying? i'm a little worried

i haven't fallen this hard for a writer's style since hp lovecraft when i was 17

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    am i going to include footnotes in everything now

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I must have it

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I would buy that if I had actually read the Iliad any time in recent memory. Supposedly I was taught to read with it and the Odyssey, but I don't remember any of that, and the Odyssey I've only read during high school.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I had one of those for Hamlet! I don't know where it is now... probably gone or in storage.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I would buy that if I had actually read the Iliad any time in recent memory. Supposedly I was taught to read with it and the Odyssey, but I don't remember any of that, and the Odyssey I've only read during high school.
    Read it again, it is so good

• Options
    They've got one for the King James Bible. The whole thing is typeset at 1.7pt.

kj-bible_70x100_en_750px_2.jpg?100576

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    The Iliad is good if you read the right translation. I got to read Robert Fagles' translation in college, and it blended accuracy to the original text with a decent amount of flow.

What's most striking about the Iliad is how fast and ruthlessly characters die. Homer will spend a whole chunk of text talking about them, then Achilles or Diomedes runs them through and they swirl into the dust. It's very bleak.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Legba wrote: »

oh man i wanna get buttlady Das Kapital now

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I like Fagles

Heaney's Beowulf is best though

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I want one of them posters. Damn.

Not sure which one though.

• Options
    I must have one of those posters

hard choice between the Iliad and On The Origin of Species

• Options
    If they had the Odyssey, I'd be into it

The Iliad can suck a dick

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i, too, like my classic works of literature in the most inconvenient forms possible

broken image link
  • Options
    Shit you know what I want a poster of

Paradise Lost

Or like The Canterbury Tales or the Decameron

I would certainly not object to The Prince either

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dante's Inferno would be slick

also, got some books gonna get to reading them soon i hope

first i have to start and finish How Doctors Think for class and write a book report :(

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If they had a Dante's Inferno one I would buy it right now.

• Options
    I would also be into getting one of the Eddas in that style

Or The Art of War

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i feel like i'd like those posters more if they made images out of the words

• Options
    Ehhhh

I like them the way they are, honestly

I don't like the way they do the plays, though

Which is a shame, because those are the books I most enjoy on their list

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    So books. I'm reading the latest Dick Francis book, Gamble and In The Garden of Beasts. Both are enjoyable in completely different ways.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Did you just insult the Iliad

Because that is a bad idea

• Options

Did you just insult the Iliad

Because that is a bad idea

Yes. I did.

I have read it, I have read a very good translation apparently, and I was pretty damn unenthused.

It suffers from that awful problem of lineage naming, oftentimes with little relevance to the rest of the text, it lasts for far too long and accomplishes far too little of war- it is an incomplete narrative, and when compared to the only real contemporary we have for it, the Odyssey, it is blown out of the fucking water.

• Options
    tl;dr The Iliad is boring.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    So. Tomorrow I'll be getting Hyperion, On Stranger Tides, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and The Man Who Was Thursday. Which should I read first?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    read The Man Who Was Thursday first

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I would also be into getting one of the Eddas in that style

Or The Art of War

I'm reading the Prose Edda right now and it's pretty interesting, though I'm finding it a bit of a hard read. Not hard to understand, just hard to want to continue.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    wait why do you want a poster of the unreadable text of a book

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Because it is badass

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Because we're nerds shoe, and we like nerdy things.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    it serves no function! it's too boring to be decorative, and too small to be informative!

I HATE IT IT IS WRONG

xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.