As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Downstairs neighbor is a prostitute/drug dealer has tweakers visiting

Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on DiscourseBay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Since me and my girlfriend moved in we've noticed that our downstairs neighbor has a ton of visitors, mostly in the evening, sometimes during the day, rarely the same person. I figure she's either a prostitute or hitting up the Casual Encounters section on Craigslist more than a little, but it's none of my business. We don't really have a view of her apartment, this is just what us and our roommate have noticed coming and going.

Tonight some guy in a van had parked in between the buildings, in between the dumpsters, in a spot that wasn't really a parking spot. I walk up to ask him if he's going to be parked there regularly because it makes the dumpsters we have to use all but inaccessible and I'm friendly about it. Let him know that we live in the unit I just parked under, we need to use the dumpsters and we can't with his van there. He informs me that he meant to park there just for a few but he locked his keys in the car, and he is an obvious tweaker. Gaunt face, multiple facial scabs, talking a mile a minute in a sort of jumbled hard to understand string of words, besides that he looked worn.

As I'm going inside some dude that looks like Merle Dixon from Walking Dead comes out of the apartment announcing loudly how he's gotta help "fucknuts" get his keys out of the car.

What is the best course of action here. As far as I know having a tweaker visit isn't illegal and that's all I've got "proof" of right now. I don't want to do anything direct because if I am dealing with multiple methheads that could get ugly real fast. On the other hand now I am thinking maybe she is more into dealing drugs than sleeping with men for money and I don't want that in my neighborhood, and especially not directly below my apartment and around our car. The apartment itself has a sliding glass door next to the deadboltable door, and the car is parked in an open car port. I don't even want tweakers around but if she wants to invite her tweaker friends over I can't really stop her.

For the most part it is a nice neighborhood. The complexes we share a lot with are lived in, and the rent is cheap, but there's a lot of working class families and one street over is really nice houses. I know bad neighborhoods, I lived in the Bayview (San Francisco) for a little while, and my parents have friends in East LA from when they lived there so that was always a stop when we vacationed as a family. This is not a bad neighborhood this is a bad neighbor.

What can I do in this situation without getting involved in a non-anonymous fashion? If it helps at all we're currently living in San Jose, CA.

Giggles_Funsworth on

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Did the lease for your apartment stipulate anything about drugs? If it's a complex, odds are everyone in the building has that same lease, and you could ask the landlord to check in. Whether that would help or not is something else. I don't know if police would respond to a complaint that amounts to "my neighbor has some really sketchy characters coming by and I think she's selling drugs". Calling the cops would be anonymous, but contacting your landlord would not.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Are her visitors bothering you somehow other than this one incident with the van? If not, why do you care? You're making some pretty wild assumptions. The cops are going to laugh at you if you call them. The best you can do is call your landlord, but now that you've confronted van guy, she's going to know exactly who's all up in her business.

Esh on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Are her visitors bothering you somehow other than this one incident with the van? If not, why do you care? You're making some pretty wild assumptions. The cops are going to laugh at you if you call them. The best you can do is call your landlord, but now that you've confronted van guy, she's going to know exactly who's all up in her business.
    Because meth heads are dangerous fucking people.

However, to the OP, you've seen one set of meth heads, once. That does not a habit make. Keep an eye out for more, and if it seems to be a common thing, honestly, your best option is probably to move. If your landlord asks why, tell him. But I really wouldn't confront someone who you think has a lot of meth heads in and out of her apartment, and I definitely wouldn't confront any meth heads. That's an excellent way to get fucking murdered.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »

However, to the OP, you've seen one set of meth heads, once. That does not a habit make. Keep an eye out for more, and if it seems to be a common thing, honestly, your best option is probably to move. If your landlord asks why, tell him. But I really wouldn't confront someone who you think has a lot of meth heads in and out of her apartment, and I definitely wouldn't confront any meth heads. That's an excellent way to get fucking murdered.

If they actually are meth heads. Just saying.

I'd say if he's super concerned, call the landlord and say there's been a lot of awfully sketchy traffic coming in and out of her apartment. There's not much that can be done, but at least he's been notified. But yeah, like Thanatos said, don't confront anyone, because if they are actually tweakers, they're not people you want to be messing with. I used to live in Boise during the 90s and meth was HUGE there and I've seen what it does to people and what it can make them do. Not pretty.

Esh on
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Are her visitors bothering you somehow other than this one incident with the van? If not, why do you care? .

Not as of yet, but we've only been here for a month. If this ends up being a continuous thing then yes, it bothers me/us because people on meth are unpredictable and I like to feel safe under my own roof and it would be nice if I felt safe going into my complex's parking lot at night.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Melinoe wrote: »
    Are her visitors bothering you somehow other than this one incident with the van? If not, why do you care? .

Not as of yet, but we've only been here for a month. If this ends up being a continuous thing then yes, it bothers me/us because people on meth are unpredictable and I like to feel safe under my own roof and it would be nice if I felt safe going into my complex's parking lot at night.

If you do call your landlord, wait a week or two so it's not ridiculously obvious who did the calling. Less if something actually happens, but whatever you do, don't speak to them.

Esh on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Are you guys on a lease contract, or are you month-to-month?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Oh god no we'd never confront anyone. And we won't be calling anyone unless this becomes a regular thing, but honestly one methhead hanging around my house and my car is too many for my comfort. Am I being overly paranoid? Probably, but honestly in a situation like this I feel that extra caution isn't going to do me any harm as long as I don't do anything stupid.

We're on a lease that's up in October. Moving isn't really an option right now because this is all we can really afford, rent is damned expensive around here.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

If they actually are meth heads. Just saying.

Bro as somebody who grew up in an area where meth was a real problem, dealt with methheads before, guy by the dumpsters was tweaking hard. Don't really know about the other guy one way or the other, he was just trashy.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Being nice and compassionate for people is okay. Don't be naive.

Don't hang around people you think are methheads. You will absolutely get stabbed and shot for your fucking bubblegum, even if you don't have bubblegum. Try to find your way out of the situation if you can. If you're positive they're meth heads I'd be willing to eat the security deposit costs involved because being murdered is no fun.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    You can call the cops over the illegal parking (if it happens again), then let them take it from there. if you want to get the cops invovled its going to have to start with a legit, and easily provable complaint. Noise compaints count here too if they are blasting music for example.

Once the cops are in the door with the methheads being obvious meth heads as they are it should be easy for the cops to just play connect the dots and take it from there.

• Options
    Draygo wrote: »
    You can call the cops over the illegal parking (if it happens again), then let them take it from there. if you want to get the cops invovled its going to have to start with a legit, and easily provable complaint. Noise compaints count here too if they are blasting music for example.

Once the cops are in the door with the methheads being obvious meth heads as they are it should be easy for the cops to just play connect the dots and take it from there.

Do the police come out if someone is illegally parked? I'm pretty sure you'd just call the complex manager and they'd have the car/van/truck towed.

And IANAL or a cop, but I think unless they see drugs, they're not going to be connecting any dots or making any arrests or entering any apartments.

• Options
    If someone is tweaked out, they will investigate nine times out of ten.

I don't know how many people you've seen on meth but, uh, it's really obvious and police like to deal with that shit before they murder someone. Because they will.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    If someone is tweaked out, they will investigate nine times out of ten.

I don't know how many people you've seen on meth but, uh, it's really obvious and police like to deal with that shit before they murder someone. Because they will.

I live in Portland, Oregon. If I got nervous every time I saw an addict or crazy, I'd be moving every day. And I live in a nice neighborhood. :)

And without probable cause, acting sketchy isn't going to get anyone in any door. But that's neither here nor there. OP also has witnessed only one person who was acting funny. Like I said, there's a lot of assumptions going on here. Just because someone has people coming and going from their apartment doesn't mean they're a prostitute or running a drug den.

And no, meth does not turn you into a murderous freak by any means. Sure, it'll make you do stupid shit, but most drugs do. I think this is getting a little blown out of proportion. There aren't meth-heads lurking in the parking lot with butcher knifes waiting for the perfect opportunity.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think you're confusing pot with meth, to be honest. I can't imagine the vast majority of Portland is tweaking out from meth, but I can see them all being "buds, man!"

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think you're confusing pot with meth, to be honest. I can't imagine the vast majority of Portland is tweaking out from meth, but I can see them all being "buds, man!"

You're thinking of southern Oregon.

Esh on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I would take some serious precautions. You can get a security camera system for cheap, and I would start regularly calling the police for every screw-up. Hoping she finds Jesus or moves will be largely in-effective, and you don't want tweakers moving in to the place.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Jesus Christ, some of you watch too much intervention or something. Is having methheads living below you good? Probably not, but if they aren't meth dealers or makers, they likelihood if you getting fucking murdered is really god damn low. Even if they were dealers, the likelihood is low. I mean, really...some of the paranoia in this thread is beyond stupid.

And before anyone goes "You just don't know", I know a fuck of a lot more than you might think. I've been around plenty of methheads from my raver/party days, and none of them were murderers. Shady as fuck maybe, steal a 20 from your wallet to get a fix maybe, but not murderers.

OP: Be vigilant, don't be stupid, keep your doors locked...basically do the stuff you should be doing living in ANY apartment complex, with ANY group of neighbors you know only in passing. You're not going to wake up with a meth head stabbing you to death, I promise. It's just not going to happen.

(And Portland has a serious meth problem, if you don't live here, you don't know...yes it's a pothead city too, as is most of the pacific NW...but it also has a serious meth issue).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Depending on the size of the property we're talking about here, I probably wouldn't start with the landlord if I decided to do anything about this. Whatever the landlord does to look into or resolve the situation comes back to another tenant, and that might be fine if there are twenty other units in the building, but if there's only a few units, that's not a great way to conceal yourself.

I'd call the local police precinct's non-emergency line and ask to speak to the shift officer responsible for patrol in your area. Mention what you've seen. He won't send someone to kick in the door and announce that there have been complaints from the neighbors or anything, but he will probably be able to have the patrol unit in your area swing through the neighborhood every evening for a week or so. A visible police presence in the neighborhood ought to suppress some or all of the illegal activity, but if patrol agrees that it looks like there's something persistently hinky going on in your neighborhood, they'll kick it up the ladder.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the entire pacific northwest has a huge meth problem. especially if you head north into vancouver

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    We can throw "you don't even know, man"s at each other for fifty pages. The fact of the matter is the OP is uncomfortable living near someone who is either dealing drugs or doing them heavily. That's fine.

OP, call the non-emergency line and just file a report. Suspicious activity. Constant visitors at late hours. Then forget about it. Even if the police only do a few drive bys or walkthroughs at night, it might spook these people into finding a new meeting point or flat out moving. Either way, your only other option is to move out.

Nothing has really happened that indicates anything other than your neighbour hanging out with sketchbags. Be sure not to blow this out of proportion.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    We can throw "you don't even know, man"s at each other for fifty pages. The fact of the matter is the OP is uncomfortable living near someone who is either dealing drugs or doing them heavily. That's fine.

OP, call the non-emergency line and just file a report. Suspicious activity. Constant visitors at late hours. Then forget about it. Even if the police only do a few drive bys or walkthroughs at night, it might spook these people into finding a new meeting point or flat out moving. Either way, your only other option is to move out.

Nothing has really happened that indicates anything other than your neighbour hanging out with sketchbags. Be sure not to blow this out of proportion.

Being vigilant is fine. Having people in here posting "DUDE YOU'RE GONNA GET MURDERED BY METH HEADS" is not. It's feeding the OP's paranoia when no one, not even in the OP, really know's what is going on beyond "My downstairs neighbor is shady".

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    He may not get shot or stabbed by the tweakers, but let's hope they don't cook. That would be reason enough to move.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    He may not get shot or stabbed by the tweakers, but let's hope they don't cook. That would be reason enough to move.

Which I covered in my first post. If you have actual meth cooks below you, that's very bad, because those chemicals can and will seep up in to your apartment. That said, you would notice signs, like a pungent smell and likely tinfoil over the windows. To cook any reasonable amount of meth, you need a pretty crazy setup. You'd also notice them constantly bringing boxes of the materials in the house: Psuedofedrin (Suedofed) and matches for the red phosphorus being the big tells.

It's VERY rare to find meth cooked in apartment complexes these days, way way too easy to get caught, because the signs are crazy obvious.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Depends on how much and what method they use, don't the newer methods not produce any odor whatsoever? The old ones used to smell like cat piss I think.

If they're just making it for personal use they can probably do it in their bathroom.

• Options
    You can't make meth with no odor, though you can surely limit it with some kind of filtered fan setup. You also can't make it without the materials (which haven't changed, despite new method).

Even a personal stash would require boxes of Suedofed and a big supply of red phosphorus. It would be pretty easy, especially for the trained eye, to notice.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I'm with @Figgy and @GnomeTank. Having lived with drug dealers/users in the past, you're not going to get murdered for no reason.

Call the cops during normal duty hours and file a suspicious activity claim, anonymously if you prefer. The cops may or may not investigate, shit, if you can give them a license plate or a name they might be able to link it to priors.

Details drive policework, just calling in a suspicious activity call probably won't go far, give them something to work with and they're more likely to care/be able to do something.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Like I said, if they're cooking for themselves no one's probably going to know until the house burns down or the slag from all that shit seeps through to someone's apartment.

Not hard to hide boxes in a room with blinds or curtains. Or use a bathroom exhaust fan if you're crafty enough.

I'd still get out of dodge if I didn't feel comfortable in my apartment. Sketchy people are often just as bad as drugs. I'd probably rather deal with the drug addicts personally.

bowen on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Come on, man. Sketchy looking people show up late at night. If that automatically means "THEY'RE COOKING METH!" now, what the heck are you going to be like when you're 70? Tone down the paranoia.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    I didn't say that, I said sketchy people are often just as bad.

• Options
    I didn't say that, I said sketchy people are often just as bad.

As people making meth?

• Options
    Probably more so?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    So, to be clear OP you had one amicable run-in with an "obvious" (?) "tweaker" (?) who locked his keys in the car, and the guy in the apartment below him who was also weird looking went to help him out?

If this is the only problem you've had in a month, you live above a pretty discreet drug dealer (assuming this even is a drug situation.) You aren't going to be able to do anything (including break your lease) until you have something to report that's actually actionable.

Which is not to say you shouldn't report inappropriate noise, weird smells, etc. But you are jumping to some pretty massive conclusions based on not very much information.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Probably more so?

More than making meth? So they're serial killers?

I can't really follow that train of logic.

I digress, OP, I suggest contacting the police and not doing anything overt to fuck with the neighbors. Most of the time if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. Just make sure to not leave your car unlocked or valuables in plain sight. They probably won't be mugging or murdering you, but stealing your shit if you're not around is definitely a very real threat with addicts.

• Options
    Like I said...taking a 20 from your wallet for a fix? Sure. Murdering you in your sleep? Pretty unlikely.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Like I said...taking a 20 from your wallet for a fix? Sure. Murdering you in your sleep? Pretty unlikely.

This right here is what I'm worried about. I could give a fuck if she has a different dude over every night of the week, but tweakers hanging around means shit getting stolen, and maybe (long shot) our apartment getting broken into (longer shot) while we're in it. I guess I'll just wait and see, and pay closer attention to her visitors from now on, see if there's a trend.

And guys, I know what a person looks like when they're on meth, and what a person looks like when they've been on meth for a long time. Dude last night was the latter, but I didn't know it until I approached him because it was at night in a poorly lit area. I grew up in an area where there was a lot of meth production and use, worked with a long time tweaker at one of my first jobs, dated a girl who used to be into the stuff, and went to more than a few parties where various substances were being consumed when I was younger.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The different opinions about how much freaking out the OP is entitled to span a much wider spectrum than the very limited number of suggestions that people have provided to the OP as far as what he should actually do about it. Most everyone seems to agree that talking to the landlord will not guarantee anonymity (and will probably guarantee that you won't remain anonymous). There's nothing yet that warrants anything more than a non-emergency phone call because no one's life or property is in immediate and existential danger, so if you want to talk to the police about it, do that. And in the interim, steer clear of any suspicious individuals and secure your personal belongs well enough that they don't look easy to steal.

Since it seems like there's a pretty broad consensus over these three points, maybe we could stop muddying up our own answer by looking for ancillary things to disagree about?

SammyF on
  • Options
    Yeah, don't want to talk to the landlord because there's only four tenants in the actual unit. Our car is parked directly below our apartment so hopefully if anybody fucks with it we'll hear it and be able to respond quickly. If the methheads visiting becomes a pattern I will bug the police.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Everyone stop being ridiculous and then arguing about who's being more ridiculous. I'm pretty sure you all can do better than "ignore it" or "call in the police and every other drug-related authority and then move before you get shivved."

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    There's nothing better to do because nothing has actually happened. Even if OP did call the police, what's he going to tell them? He doesn't have anything to report other than "some creepy guy lives in my building."

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.