Options

Downstairs neighbor is a prostitute/drug dealer has tweakers visiting

2»

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    It may not be a bad idea to call the police to report the suspicious activity. That way, you establish a record of issues should anything happen, it makes their job easier.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    It may not be a bad idea to call the police to report the suspicious activity. That way, you establish a record of issues should anything happen, it makes their job easier.

Report what? A "creepy maybe tweaker was in a van and locked his keys in it, and then a creepy maybe tweaker came out to help"?

Repeat that police report over in your head a couple of times, and ask yourself if a cop is even going to seriously take the report or just go "Uh huh, Uh huh, well, we'll look in to it...thaaaankkkssss".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »

Report what? A "creepy maybe tweaker was in a van and locked his keys in it, and then a creepy maybe tweaker came out to help"?

Repeat that police report over in your head a couple of times, and ask yourself if a cop is even going to seriously take the report or just go "Uh huh, Uh huh, well, we'll look in to it...thaaaankkkssss".

Yeah, that isn't what I was saying at all.

More along the lines of "Hey, I don't have any actual evidence to go on, but my neighbour has been really suspicious. Primarily she has been having people over at all hours, and they are never the same people. Additionally, I ran into one of these people and he seemed to be high, given these symptoms <insert what was said above>. I know that nothing can really be done about this at this time, but I would like to at least bring it to your intention, in the events that something does occur in the future."

This type of information can help police as it establishes the neighbour as a potential issue. Therefore, should problems arrise, they have something more to help them act/give them a reason to investigate.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I came here just to comment on people who are on meth amphetamines or stimulants. To this day in my medical career the only individual I have ever seen who tore their themselves free from their own leather restraints and tried to stab me with a syringe was on meth.

I highly advise against direct confrontation.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    We get these phone calls at law enforcement constantly, but as has been noted the reality is there is *very little* law enforcement can do if it's just a case of you having a suspicion that someone is inside their apartment doing drugs. The police will generally not wait around all day for someone to leave that looks like they might be high, and they generally won't go banging on doors without proper cause. People complain about harassment etc etc

What works best is notifying law enforcement when these people are outside, preferably when they're outside and A: you think they're high, B: they don't appear to be leaving any time soon. That can get some people arrested and, if they're as shady as you say, they often have fourth amendment waivers and just by being officially contacted the cops will know they now have the right to search whatever the shit they feel like.

^ fourth amendment waivers may not exist where you live, I'm not sure if this is a California only thing

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Karrmer wrote: »
    We get these phone calls at law enforcement constantly, but as has been noted the reality is there is *very little* law enforcement can do if it's just a case of you having a suspicion that someone is inside their apartment doing drugs. The police will generally not wait around all day for someone to leave that looks like they might be high, and they generally won't go banging on doors without proper cause. People complain about harassment etc etc

What works best is notifying law enforcement when these people are outside, preferably when they're outside and A: you think they're high, B: they don't appear to be leaving any time soon. That can get some people arrested and, if they're as shady as you say, they often have fourth amendment waivers and just by being officially contacted the cops will know they now have the right to search whatever the shit they feel like.

^ fourth amendment waivers may not exist where you live, I'm not sure if this is a California only thing

I'm going to have to look up what a fourth amendment waiver is, but as luck would have it we're in San Jose, CA.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular

I'm going to have to look up what a fourth amendment waiver is, but as luck would have it we're in San Jose, CA.

I assume he means they're probably on probation for something or other, and thus can be searched at pretty much any time for illegal drugs/etc

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    For practical renting advice, make sure you engage your deadbolt at night, and make sure that your lock, strike plate, deadbolt and door jam are in good condition. If you think they might be easily compromised, see what your land lord can do, if you think they won't do anything you can replace the screws, and probably your strike plates without the landlord noticing, but definitely the screws, 4 inches long is a good way to go.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    OP do you know your neighbor at all?

Are you associated with any church groups in your neighborhood?

There may be some groups, faith-based or otherwise, that specialize in non-police direct intervention work in cases where people are doing things that negatively impact the community.

It's a more difficult route, but it might be the best one.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    OP do you know your neighbor at all?

Are you associated with any church groups in your neighborhood?

There may be some groups, faith-based or otherwise, that specialize in non-police direct intervention work in cases where people are doing things that negatively impact the community.

It's a more difficult route, but it might be the best one.

No, he doesn't know her, or else he wouldn't be accusing her of being a prostitute and drug dealer because she has people at her house at odd hours. I seriously doubt people knocking on her door and offering her "help" is going to go over very well either.

Nothing negative is happening here besides the OPs wild conjecture as to what's happening in his apartment complex.

Esh on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Yes because there is totally nothing weird about having more men over in a week than there are days in said week, sometimes several in one day, and late into the night, often sketchy and at least one meth head. And this is just what the three of us (my girlfriend and our roommate) have observed, we keep to ourselves and we don't have a view of her place unless we're coming or going someplace.

So no, I don't know her and I wouldn't be super interested in helping her anyway. Like I said, don't give a fuck who she has visiting or when unless it turns into a string of people like the dude I ran into by the dumpsters.

I would take that advice @zepherin, but the locks on the door are a huge joke to anybody that spends two seconds looking at the place. There's a big giant sliding glass door right next to the locking door in an exposed patio area. We keep them engaged when we're sleeping or when nobody's here that's not sleeping (roommate works graveyards), but a methhead smashing through the "patio" door and taking all our shit is a very real concern.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yes because there is totally nothing weird about having more men over in a week than there are days in said week, sometimes several in one day, and late into the night, often sketchy and at least one meth head. And this is just what the three of us (my girlfriend and our roommate) have observed, we keep to ourselves and we don't have a view of her place unless we're coming or going someplace.

So no, I don't know her and I wouldn't be super interested in helping her anyway. Like I said, don't give a fuck who she has visiting or when unless it turns into a string of people like the dude I ran into by the dumpsters.

I would take that advice @zepherin, but the locks on the door are a huge joke to anybody that spends two seconds looking at the place. There's a big giant sliding glass door right next to the locking door in an exposed patio area. We keep them engaged when we're sleeping or when nobody's here that's not sleeping (roommate works graveyards), but a methhead smashing through the "patio" door and taking all our shit is a very real concern.

No, there's really not anything weird about that. Almost all my friends are women. Would you assume I was fucking them all if you were my neighbor and saw multiple girls coming in and out of my apartment?

Beyond that, I doubt her or her friends are going to go on a murderous robbery spree right in their backyard. Stop worrying so much. Nothing has happened and the chances of anything actually happening are slim to none. Get renter's insurance if you're really that concerned and call it a day until you actually have real reason to start calling authorities.

Esh on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    For that you want security film. Makes it so the window doesn't shatter into pieces. (similar to the stuff used on windshields) That you could probably get the super to install or sign off on, because it doesn't change the look only makes the area more secure.

• Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Gdiguy wrote: »

I assume he means they're probably on probation for something or other, and thus can be searched at pretty much any time for illegal drugs/etc

Yeah, basically if they're on probation or parole and an officer stops them he now has the right to search their person / car / house / whatever he feels like really.

What the OP is describing probably is a group of people involved in drugs. This isn't some crazy uncommon thing, it's not too hard to tell when it's happening... but it's a lot harder to prove. As noted the best course of action is to either stop caring, move, or call the police when people are outside being suspicious. If you ever notice strange smells from the apartment you can call about that to, sometimes that can be used as probable cause assuming an officer believes it really does smell like cooking meth or something

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    There's nothing better to do because nothing has actually happened. Even if OP did call the police, what's he going to tell them? He doesn't have anything to report other than "some creepy guy lives in my building."

...I live in Canada, but up here you can certainly call the local precinct and tell them that you think there are drug dealers downstairs, and they will usually come take a look. Rules are different everywhere, of course, but there's certainly no harm in calling.

OP: Human intuition is pretty poor when it comes to plenty of things, but it's actually rather good at picking-up on unsafe situations and, in particular, unsafe other people. If your intuition is telling you that the neighbours downstairs are not safe to live near, I'd recommend listening to that and try to either move away from the building (call your landlord, explain what is happening and that you feel unsafe, see what they say) or contact the police (again, just explain to them what you think is going on, why, and that you feel unsafe. I my own experience, police do not usually just laugh at that sort of thing - ymmv, but the worst thing that can happen is that the police tell you they can't / won't do anything).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Melinoe wrote: »
    Moving isn't really an option right now because this is all we can really afford, rent is damned expensive around here.
    The methheads are the only thing keeping your rent affordable. You just know as soon as they're gone the landlord will raise your rent.

Seriously though, if you're really worried about a break-in, you could get an alarm system. I know you're renting, but there are options for wireless (mostly) systems. In a small place or with few entrances, some wires tacked along the corners probably won't look to bad or damage the wall. Get a glass-break detector of some kind, for the sliding glass doors. Cheaper than moving and breaking a lease.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    To the OP: you need to grow some thicker skin.

Let's talk about what's actually happened: some guy, who, due to your past experience, was obviously on drugs parked a van illegally.

In addition, you've noticed your neighbor has a lot of visitors, mostly men.

I'm not saying there is not potential for harm, but from that we've extrapolated:

1) Your neighbor is a prostitute.
    2) Your neighbor and all of her friends are drug addicts.
    3) They are drug dealers.
    4) They are drug dealers who manufacture their drug of choice.
    5) These are people who are going to murder you and/or steal your stuff.

None of which can be substantiated. At all. Want to know what would put to rest some of this paranoia? Try talking to your neighbor. In a normal way. Like neighbors. A simple hi here and there will eventually lead to a small conversation in passing.

It says a lot about you that a woman can't have multiple guy friends over unless she's fucking all of them. That's an unhealthy impression to have of someone whom, based on the information you've given us, you haven't spoken to very much (or at all).

If you have no interest in talking to this person, then I'm not sure what you can do beyond locking your apartment down like a bomb shelter and spying on your neighbor and her friends waiting to call the cops at the first sign of foul play, which is crazy.

Or you could accept that your neighbors are (maybe) into things you don't approve of and leave it at that until something actually happens.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    AtrensisAtrensis Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Like I said...taking a 20 from your wallet for a fix? Sure. Murdering you in your sleep? Pretty unlikely.

This right here is what I'm worried about. I could give a fuck if she has a different dude over every night of the week, but tweakers hanging around means shit getting stolen, and maybe (long shot) our apartment getting broken into (longer shot) while we're in it. I guess I'll just wait and see, and pay closer attention to her visitors from now on, see if there's a trend.

And guys, I know what a person looks like when they're on meth, and what a person looks like when they've been on meth for a long time. Dude last night was the latter, but I didn't know it until I approached him because it was at night in a poorly lit area. I grew up in an area where there was a lot of meth production and use, worked with a long time tweaker at one of my first jobs, dated a girl who used to be into the stuff, and went to more than a few parties where various substances were being consumed when I was younger.

This you probably can at least try to get fixed. Good illumination tends to keep shady characters away. Sounds dumb, but is mostly true. Try to speak with the landlord about installing another light or two in the poorly lit area. If nothing else, it'll do wonders to keep you calm.

Atrensis on
This discussion has been closed.