As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ending Stuff:
    kedinik wrote: »
    I know this has been posted before, but...

So painfully tacky to personally experience.
    You know, maybe that's another reason I'm so mad about the ending.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Here's a little something to interrupt the ending angst.

Shepard gallery from Badass weekly! (Feel free to post your own)

Shepard5.jpg?t=1331436343
    Shepard.jpg?t=1331436345
    Shepard6.jpg?t=1331436343
    Shepard4.jpg?t=1331436343
    Shepard3.jpg?t=1331436343
    Shepard2.jpg?t=1331436345

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    From Reddit, via 4chan, so probably bullshit: http://i.imgur.com/TsqYi.jpg (DLC plans)
    I'm expecting some sort of Omega DLC, but that all is certainly bullshit.

This.
    I knew immediately when Aria didn't mention to Shepard a mission in-game to take back Omega, that it might be involved in a DLC.

The rest sounds pretty dumb, and BS-worthy, although "Rescue" would be believable, provided Shepard was stranded on some planet in a system without a Mass Relay.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I dunno. Appearance and weapon packs seem pretty legit.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    For people who have played MGS3 did anyone else get

mid game spoilers
    Flashbacks to a the Sorrow boss fight when Shepard was having that nightmare

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I thought it was more shades of...
    T2: Sarah Conner's dream of everyone burning/dying.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    From Reddit, via 4chan, so probably bullshit: http://i.imgur.com/TsqYi.jpg (DLC plans)
    I'm expecting some sort of Omega DLC, but that all is certainly bullshit.

This.
    I knew immediately when Aria didn't mention to Shepard a mission in-game to take back Omega, that it might be involved in a DLC.

The rest sounds pretty dumb, and BS-worthy, although "Rescue" would be believable, provided Shepard was stranded on some planet in a system without a Mass Relay.
    Which she didn't. The Citadel was above Earth, so that's where it landed after exploding, and the Normandy is nowhere near.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I dunno. Appearance and weapon packs seem pretty legit.

Well...I mean making that kind of prediction is pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Options
    In this thread, I wanted to be right at least once.

• Options
    I'm still amused by an ending someone on SA proposed:
    In a failshep run, the Reapers win and Shepard somehow gets packed in a stasis pod for the next cycle. She's woken up by someone saying "Shepard! We've been invaded by the-" "Reapers, got it, let's go," in a tone of exasperation.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm still amused by an ending someone on SA proposed:
    In a failshep run, the Reapers win and Shepard somehow gets packed in a stasis pod for the next cycle. She's woken up by someone saying "Shepard! We've been invaded by the-" "Reapers, got it, let's go," in a tone of exasperation.

"Not this shit again."

• Options
    I am disappointed they didn't put a lose scenario in the game. I really want FailShep to fail as hard as possible.

• Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    FightTest wrote: »
    Also while thinking about the game I want to add the biggest "game ruining" thing for me was not the ending but being able to see the number values for galactic assets. And all for one event.

I went into the game hearing from the dev buzz that you would have to make tough choices, and people(s) would die. So I was ready to gung-ho fistfuck the reapers and do whatever it took at any cost because the stakes were that high.

Cut to Tuchanka SPOILERS:
    I shot Mordin. The choice was, without emotion, very easy. I could have the Salarian fleet and no threat of another krogan war if we survived the reapers. But Mordin was awesome, and the voice actor for him played out that last part (I made a mistake!) extremely well. I shot him, and I felt fucking horrible. I had that empty feeling in the pit of my stomach that no video game has ever given me before. It was literally the only time I've ever felt any extreme emotion playing a video game. I couldn't believe how bad I felt. But you know, I'm sorry Mordin, I need that Salarian fleet because the stakes are too high.

Cut to afterwards and I'm put back on my ship and I look at my war assets.

150 points. 150 points for the Salarian fleet. I just killed the coolest character in the game and betrayed him for 150 measly points that, in the grand scheme of things, have zero impact. So I reloaded my save and went back and let him live because I knew the stakes weren't that high thus negating the most personally shocking moment in a video game I've ever experienced.

If they never showed the numbers my experience would have been one of tough choices, but instead there were no tough choices and there was only a transparent game. Really fucked up the story's impact.

They shouldn't have showed the numbers at all. They should have just had the list of stuff and the updates - you'd know you be making progress because of the descriptions there, and perhaps Admiral Hackett or someone else could occasionally give worded descriptions on how things are going. eg. "Our numbers aren't enough Shepherd", "We're getting there, but we need more support", etc.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Spoilery as it gets.
    Thought that Rannoch's finale established pretty strongly that synthetic and organic life can co-exist, even if it initially seems like a crazy idea.

Like, that theme in that mission was probably the strongest out of any in the entire series, imo.

And that message comes through even stronger if you end up helping the Geth to kill the (completely irrationally aggressive) Quarians in self-defense before they 100% loyally join your anti-Reaper alliance. And when confused soldiers shoot some Geth every now and then, the Geth shrug it off because they're so committed to friendship with organics.

Not to mention EDI and lots of other scenes and characters that strengthened that theme in smaller ways.

Sooooooo, the Catalyst's monologue was completely out of left field and clashed with the reality of Shepard's experiences pretty badly.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You probably will, but for a lot of people, including me, the rest of the game is totally worth it.

I have the opposite reaction, if I could go back in time and prevent myself from buying the game I would, or at least prevent myself from playing the singleplayer.

It was so jarring and bad that it's actually made me hate video games. Seriously I can't bring myself to play anything for more than a half hour since I beat mass effect 3, and I don't know why. I'd probably be less upset if the game punched me in the testicles.

override367 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I wish there was a.

"pick important plot points from ME1 and ME2 so you don't have to replay both games to have a personalized Shepard" option.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    You probably will, but for a lot of people, including me, the rest of the game is totally worth it.

I have the opposite reaction, if I could go back in time and prevent myself from buying the game I would, or at least prevent myself from playing the singleplayer.

It was so jarring and bad that it's actually made me hate video games. Seriously I can't bring myself to play anything for more than a half hour since I beat mass effect 3, and I don't know why. I'd probably be less upset if the game punched me in the testicles.
    Just go back in time and press the off button just about when Anderson dies. Perfect.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I wish there was a.

"pick important plot points from ME1 and ME2 so you don't have to replay both games to have a personalized Shepard" option.

Like Genesis in ME2.

I think they will eventually have something like that.

edit: And I bet it will be the final DLC. That makes the most sense, really. Adding that kind of tool immediately trivializes (at least to some degree) the work some people did in importing their character through ME1 and ME2. But once the game has been out for 4-6 months already, such a thing will breathe new life into the game for people wanting to do replays with different historical Shepards.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Man...the Vindicator...is awesome.
    The Windicator is basically the best thing if you slap a scope and stability enhancer in it. What's better than a headshot? A 3-round burst headshot!

I don't even aim down the sights anymore, man. I just hip fire the Vindicator; it's so much more accurate. Not sure why, but when you aim down the sights, there's a fair amount of recoil, but when you hipfire, the weapon's pinpoint accurate. Every gun's like that, basically.

• Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    how important is the 100% investigating/scanning all planets for each galaxy?

i haven't beaten me3 yet, no spoilers please, thanks

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    if anybody is playing multi on xbox, invite me, Joolander, for some shooting of mans/bots/techno-zombies

• Options
    So...I just shot a Geth's rocket out of midair.

With a sniper rifle...

Yeah...I'm hot like that.

• Options
    Is there a list of gamertags for people playing this on XBox Live?

If so, add BaronVonMustash and we can shoot dudes together.

(When I'm on)

• Options
    xta wrote: »

Well, you'll get probably a good few hundred war assets from scanning, but a lot of the stuff that you can find is just credits or fuel, so you can leave that.

• Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have a VERY IMPORTANT question for people with the 360 version of ME3.

If two people on different Xboxes both have the Project 10$ Online Pass for ME3, can they play multiplayer at the same time with one copy of the game (disc one on one console, disc two in the other)?

The answer to this question will determine whether I need to buy another copy of the game or not.

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    What even happens if you have low galactic strength when you start the end sequence? Kind of hard to imagine a significant difference.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    What even happens if you have low galactic strength when you start the end sequence? Kind of hard to imagine a significant difference.
    The Citadel forces get butchered during the break-in and your choices are restricted in the final segment.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    MP on right now.

one slot, come find us

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    FightTest wrote: »
    Also while thinking about the game I want to add the biggest "game ruining" thing for me was not the ending but being able to see the number values for galactic assets. And all for one event.

I went into the game hearing from the dev buzz that you would have to make tough choices, and people(s) would die. So I was ready to gung-ho fistfuck the reapers and do whatever it took at any cost because the stakes were that high.

Cut to Tuchanka SPOILERS:
    I shot Mordin. The choice was, without emotion, very easy. I could have the Salarian fleet and no threat of another krogan war if we survived the reapers. But Mordin was awesome, and the voice actor for him played out that last part (I made a mistake!) extremely well. I shot him, and I felt fucking horrible. I had that empty feeling in the pit of my stomach that no video game has ever given me before. It was literally the only time I've ever felt any extreme emotion playing a video game. I couldn't believe how bad I felt. But you know, I'm sorry Mordin, I need that Salarian fleet because the stakes are too high.

Cut to afterwards and I'm put back on my ship and I look at my war assets.

150 points. 150 points for the Salarian fleet. I just killed the coolest character in the game and betrayed him for 150 measly points that, in the grand scheme of things, have zero impact. So I reloaded my save and went back and let him live because I knew the stakes weren't that high thus negating the most personally shocking moment in a video game I've ever experienced.

If they never showed the numbers my experience would have been one of tough choices, but instead there were no tough choices and there was only a transparent game. Really fucked up the story's impact.

Well, it's especially poignant when you learn later on that
    even if you help the Krogans and cure the Genophage, a good portion of the Salarian fleet will still join you anyway, under the reasoning that the Salarians realize that what's going in the galaxy is much bigger than a few Dalatresses [sic] not getting their way.

On a side note(Tali-related):
    Apparently if you romanced tali, and did both legion and tali's loyalty missions in ME2, and made sure they were friends with eachother in ME2(i.e. broke up that one argument), and made the quarians and geth make peace with eachother, tali will leave a photo of herself in your captain's quarters in gratitude.

I'm not sure exactly how much of the prior actually needs to be done for that to happen, but that's what I had done in ME2/3.

Supposedly you also get the photo if Tali commits suicide after opting to side with the Geth on the less "light-side" ending to that arc.

Not that any of this matters either way because loldeusexmachinaending.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    finishing up ME2

is there a threshold of resources/money/upgrades I should have before moving on? Should I leave the collector base intact? anything I should do or pickup before I finish? I've done all of the quests but a few of the really minor ones and my entire crew survived.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    xta wrote: »

Number of points you need for the best ending with no extra info:
    You only need like 3000 effective war assets for the best ending.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    See, Sniper, I consider that a spoiler, so that should be tagged. I thought ALL ME3 discussion was supposed to be tagged?

EDIT: Thank you.

JackKieser on

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Just posting my Shepard being awesome :)

SZU4C.jpg

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    JackKieser wrote: »
    See, Sniper, I consider that a spoiler, so that should be tagged. I thought ALL ME3 discussion was supposed to be tagged?

...really? I mean, ok. But I don't see it being a spoiler. *shrug*

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Now I know at what point I can stop caring, which will lead to metagaming whether I want it to or not. With a system for endings like ME3 has, metagaming is an issue.

EDIT: I'll add this in case anyone skips the bottom of last page. I need to know something VERY IMPORTANT for deciding whether to buy a second copy of 360 ME3:

Can two people on two separate 360s play ME3 multiplayer simultaneously with one copy of the game (Disc 1 in console A, Disc 2 in console B), provided both Gamertags have the Project 10$ Online Pass?

JackKieser on

• Options
    finishing up ME2

is there a threshold of resources/money/upgrades I should have before moving on? Should I leave the collector base intact? anything I should do or pickup before I finish? I've done all of the quests but a few of the really minor ones and my entire crew survived.
    As long as the minor ones you haven't done are from planet-scanning, you're fine. Either Collector Base outcome is good. None of the material wealth you picked up in 2 matters.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I think all I have left is like... delivering the package for that dude on omega and getting the fish for the krogan

• Options
    \
    JackKieser wrote: »
    Now I know at what point I can stop caring, which will lead to metagaming whether I want it to or not. With a system for endings like ME3 has, metagaming is an issue.

EDIT: I'll add this in case anyone skips the bottom of last page. I need to know something VERY IMPORTANT for deciding whether to buy a second copy of 360 ME3:

Can two people on two separate 360s play ME3 multiplayer simultaneously with one copy of the game (Disc 1 in console A, Disc 2 in console B), provided both Gamertags have the Project 10$ Online Pass?

...Umm...I believe so.

Multiplayer is on both discs.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    finishing up ME2

As long as the minor ones you haven't done are from planet-scanning, you're fine. Either Collector Base outcome is good. None of the material wealth you picked up in 2 matters.

You get war assets for your mining.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Ending spoiler
    So I got the Battlestar Galactica ending.
    Joker and Edi landing on a remote planet (a home called Earth). Ashley was there with them, I guess because Shepard romanced her.

I don't think the endings were a huge letdown or OMG I hate video games now. Certainly could have used an epilogue though.

This discussion has been closed.