As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    spoiler regarding mordin:
    holy shit :(

you have to be really cold to do this ..
    renegading the krogan cure:
    The sad part is you make this really horrific decision but then there ultimately isn't much benefit to you---unless, of course you think it's that important to keep the krogan from breeding.
    If Wreav is in charge, that is important.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Inter_d wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    spoiler regarding mordin:
    holy shit :(

you have to be really cold to do this ..
    renegading the krogan cure:

Okay.
    I am never playing full Renegade. :(

D:

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    It's time for me to go on the final mission. Any thoughts on who I should take? Anyone with good/special dialog for it?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Nope not watching nope. Never watching that everrrrrrr.

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

Questions about Rannoch...is it true that.
    If you let the Quarian Fleet get destoryed Tali commits suicide?
    Yes. She sobs, takes off her mask, and then swan dives off the cliffs.

There's a paragon interrupt to try to save her.

You still fail. :(

Goodness...they really aren't pulling any punches this time around.

Yeah. When they say hard choices, they are not fucking around.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Make sure you send Thane into the vents.

He's good with vents.

The first time you met him he fell out of a vent, even.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    It's time for me to go on the final mission. Any thoughts on who I should take? Anyone with good/special dialog for it?

You get to
    Talk to all your squadmates halfway through. So it doesn't matter too much.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rannoch was fist pump worthy with full paragon. Shepard is Space Jesus.
    Uplift the geth, save the quarians and give them back their home, and both sides live in peace. It was great.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    That was one of the best parts of the game.
    The first time I got the choice to tell Eve about the sabotage, I had to think a while and chose to disclose, but of course I was interrupted, and then you hear all the Krogan talk about needing more planets and need to expand, so the next time the choice came up to disclose or not, I actually decided to not say anything for now because I was wavering on my decision, then I heard Eve talk more, and the fact I remembered the Krogan ancient ruins where they weren't always a warmonger race, finally I decided to the tell Mordin. The fact that the game could cause me to change my mind so many times in such a short time span was amazing. Truly, if it weren't for the ending this would be one of those rare masterpieces of gaming.

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

Jesus. D:

And I thought Samara's almost/actual suicide was as bad as the game got. I am so fucking glad I never have to make any of those choices.

Z0re on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

The one where you side with the quarians is just

holy shit

is this really happening

thank god circumstances aligned to let me pull it off

I'm not sure I would have taken either of them very well at all

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    About possible alternate endings:
    I have one in my head that I'd like. I also have a rewrite of the main plot of ME2 that I would prefer... but I also recognize that it's something probably only I would ever want to play. I think each coming up with our own ending is going to reveal how many differences there are in what we want.

I think the best thing to do if they do edit the ending is just to keep it simple. There's nothing wrong with simple. Crucible blows up Reapers, Shepard either lives or dies, galaxy begins to rebuild, roll credits. There's no need to commit to too many specifics in the ending I don't think, just provide some indication that the story of Shepard and friends vs. the Reapers is now over. The falling action/denouement is not the moment to introduce new story elements.

I don't want them to feel the pressure to do something "daring" or "epic" or "innovative" or anything like that. I feel like that instinct is misguided and may be what got them into trouble in the first place. A small part of me respects the writers for taking a risk with the godkid, but it turned out so badly that it's only a small part.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    spamfilter wrote: »
    That was one of the best parts of the game.
    The first time I got the choice to tell Eve about the sabotage, I had to think a while and chose to disclose, but of course I was interrupted, and then you hear all the Krogan talk about needing more planets and need to expand, so the next time the choice came up to disclose or not, I actually decided to not say anything for now because I was wavering on my decision, then I heard Eve talk more, and the fact I remembered the Krogan ancient ruins where they weren't always a warmonger race, finally I decided to the tell Mordin. The fact that the game could cause me to change my mind so many times in such a short time span was amazing. Truly, if it weren't for the ending this would be one of those rare masterpieces of gaming.

I thought that was pretty ingenious myself.

I mean most people are going to be all
    the genophage is evil/Wrex is my bro...let's do this. Then the game is like, wait a minute...the genophage is around for a reason.

I mean personally I chose to tell them the second time around because I believe people deserve the chance to redeem themselves. But the fact the game actually tries to get you to think about the decision you make is pretty awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Super awful ending spoiler do not click jeeze.
    REALLY. Gosh. So nosy.
    I feel so bad for Dashui now that he's posted how happy he was with the paragon resolution as he goes into the end game. Soon he'll be back, the same man, just a little less happy.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Uplift the geth, save the quarians and give them back their home, and both sides live in peace. It was great.
    I'd like to think of it as a Doctor Who Style situation where despite everything going against you, where absolutely no one has any faith that you could actually pull it off, where everything is riding on the line and at best all you can do is talk... you still manage to overcome it all and save everyone.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

Same here. I watched a video of it and I wanted to cry. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I had to do it in my game.

I probably would cry.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    You know my favorite thing about the "perfect" Rannoch resolution.
    The part where the Geth Prime walks up to Rann to shake her hand.

I thought it was just done so well. Here you have to gigantic intimidating mass coming up to the much smaller Quarian with its glowing red eyes in everything. It plays on your baser instincts that something like that should be feared.

Kind of reminded me of some of Asimov's works.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I'd like to think of it as a Doctor Who Style situation where despite everything going against you, where absolutely no one has any faith that you could actually pull it off, where everything is riding on the line and at best all you can do is talk... you still manage to overcome it all and save everyone.

Ending spoilers.
    Yes, and that, in the end, is the actually theme of the ME series. Which the ending completely craps on. And the people who say that wasn't the theme just don't get it, and the writers don't get it, ME has a fan base because that's what people loved about it, we the player as Shepard the hero overcoming all odds and triumphant. Screw with that and you screw with the fundamental attraction people had for the saga. That's why a lot of people say the ME3 ending ruins the entire series for them. Because even replaying ME1, I can never get the feeling of Shepard overcoming the odds feeling back because I know in the end he doesn't.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Anyone know what the 'max' is for Shepard's skill points in SP, and if we can use them all?

sig.gif
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Regarding Rannoch
    The game makes you make a decision to choose to upload the code or let the geth die before you get the blue magic prompt to call off the Quarian fleet. I was so pissed off that I didn't have a choice until I realized that the choice was another prompt in.

Also, fuck that one Quarian general for starting all that shit. I'm a paragon Shep all the way but he deserved that punch in the stomach.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Ending spoilers.
    Yes, and that, in the end, is the actually theme of the ME series. Which the ending completely craps on. And the people who say that wasn't the theme just don't get it, and the writers don't get it, ME has a fan base because that's what people loved about it, we the player as Shepard the hero overcoming all odds and triumphant. Screw with that and you screw with the fundamental attraction people had for the saga. That's why a lot of people say the ME3 ending ruins the entire series for them. Because even replaying ME1, I can never get the feeling of Shepard overcoming the odds feeling back because I know in the end he doesn't.

I think it is pretty presumptive to say that people who don't agree with your interpretation don't get something.
    If anything I would say that the majority of ME3 is spent casting Shepard in a much more human light.

Showing that while, yes, Shepard does get things done, it takes a very heavy toll in the process.

That it isn't so much that everything Shepard does comes out perfect, moreso that Shepard has to drive to get things done where other people aren't willing to try.

I would say that Shepard giving up so much in the end for that one purpose was the defining moment of that persona.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    VisserianVisserian Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Anyone know what the 'max' is for Shepard's skill points in SP, and if we can use them all?

Assuming you mean in 3...

The maximum character level is 60.

Which gives Shepard a total of 181 skill points (enough to fully max out 8 skills) and his squadmates an even 90.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

Can you tell me about it? You gotten me really curious now.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

Same here. I watched a video of it and I wanted to cry. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I had to do it in my game.

I probably would cry.
    When I shot Mordin, I had to stop playing. I got up from my computer and went into the living room and told my wife how aweful I felt. That whole scene, no matter what you choose, is just so emotionally powerful. I kept telling myself that it was for the greater good of the galaxy and that the Krogan will still live, just as long as Wrex never finds out.

But then he does find out and threatens to pull his troops out. I couldn't risk it. I had to stop playing again after that moment.

I have never felt so aweful from the choices in a game before and it is a credit to the writers that I felt like that.

God damn that ending for spoiling what would be the most emotionally powerful game I've ever played.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Visserian wrote: »

Which gives Shepard a total of 181 skill points (enough to fully max out 8 skills) and his squadmates an even 90.

I'm at level 53 or something on my vanguard and I really don't know what to do with points now

maxed out everything except cryo ammo, shockwave and pull none of which I use anyway

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Get Inferno Grenade.

Trust me, you'll love it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Ending spoilers.

I think it is pretty presumptive to say that people who don't agree with your interpretation don't get something.
    If anything I would say that the majority of ME3 is spend casting Shepard in a much more human light.

Showing that while yes, Shepard does get things done, it takes a very heavy toll in the process.

I personally would say that it isn't so much that everything Shepard does comes out perfect, moreso that Shepard has to drive to get things done where other people aren't willing to try.

If anything I would say that Shepard giving up so much in the end for that one purpose was the defining moment of that persona.

When I say "don't get it", "it" refers to the reason why the majority of the fans love the series.
    It's not an insult, just stating that people don't get us and thus don't get our reaction.
    Well, it is an insult to the writers because I think it was their business to know why their audience likes their work. But for the gamers, people like you, I'm just trying to explain a fact, that for many people the ending "ruin the entire series" is not a hyperbole, it's a fact because it took away from the entire series the thing we loved about it. When I say you don't get it, I'm not trying to say you have to agree with me. That you should have the same reaction as me. It's perfectly fine that you don't, you like it for different reason than me and your reasons for liking it hasn't been removed, that's fine. But the same is not true for me and many others like me.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    Wow, got a Phalanx. Pistol is a beast!

Anyone want to do some bronze/silver games?

Name is MildConfusion on Origin.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Ending spoilers.

If anything I would say that the majority of ME3 is spend casting Shepard in a much more human light.

Showing that while yes, Shepard does get things done, it takes a very heavy toll in the process.

I personally would say that it isn't so much that everything Shepard does comes out perfect, moreso that Shepard has to drive to get things done where other people aren't willing to try.

If anything I would say that Shepard giving up so much in the end for that one purpose was the defining moment of that persona.

When I say "don't get it", "it" refers to the reason why the majority of the fans love the series.
    It's not an insult, just stating that people don't get us and thus don't get our reaction.
    Well, it is an insult to the writers because I think it was their business to know why their audience likes their work. But for the gamers, people like you, I'm just trying to explain a fact, that for many people the ending "runing the entire series" is not a hyperbole, it's a fact because it took away from the entire series the thing we loved about it.

I can understand that I guess. But, I think since we all make our own Shepard in our heads you can't say that goes for the majority I mean I know.

End Spoilers
    There are some people who wanted a happy ending. But their are others who hated the ending but were perfectly fine with Shepard biting it. Even in this thread here.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

I probably would cry.
    When I shot Mordin, I had to stop playing. I got up from my computer and went into the living room and told my wife how aweful I felt. That whole scene, no matter what you choose, is just so emotionally powerful. I kept telling myself that it was for the greater good of the galaxy and that the Krogan will still live, just as long as Wrex never finds out.

But then he does find out and threatens to pull his troops out. I couldn't risk it. I had to stop playing again after that moment.

I have never felt so aweful from the choices in a game before and it is a credit to the writers that I felt like that.

God damn that ending for spoiling what would be the most emotionally powerful game I've ever played.
    I actualyl pulled the gun on Mordin, my gut wrenching the entire time. Even my girlfriend, who had only watch me play for one day and had never seen the previous two games, had that pained look in her eyes. Despite knowing it would be for the greater good, I couldn't bring myself to shoot him. I very nearly cried. I spent the next two days thinking about my actions.

I've never been hit that hard by a game before barring the first ME. it's such a shame the ending ruined the entire thing.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    One thing thats always disappointed me about the Mass Effect series is the fact that I can never make a good custom Shepard (in terms of facial appearance).

Maybe it's just me but it seems like all the options are ass.

RT800 on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Very early on Thessia question:
    Liara is hard-wired as one squadmate, I brought Vengeance as the other. When the asari Lieutenant at the Barrier wants to pull out, Vengeance gives her a "You're a warrior !" pep talk and convinces her to hold the line. I'm guessing that all of the non-Liara characters give a similar version of that speech, or is it only him ?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    heh, folks in this topic all crying about having to make bad choices

be better at video games 8-)

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Ending spoilers.

Well, it is an insult to the writers because I think it was their business to know why their audience likes their work. But for the gamers, people like you, I'm just trying to explain a fact, that for many people the ending "runing the entire series" is not a hyperbole, it's a fact because it took away from the entire series the thing we loved about it.

I can understand that I guess. But, I think since we all make our own Shepard in our heads you can't say that goes for the majority I mean I know.

End Spoilers
    There are some people who wanted a happy ending. But their are others who hated the ending but were perfectly fine with Shepard biting it. Even in this thread here.
    I think at the very least the game should have offered an option for the happy ending. Even if incredibly hard, like you have to beat it on insanity with 8000 EMS or something, but it should have been there for people to strive for. But I would have been okay with an ending where Shepard dies for a meaningful victory. Meaningful victory being that the galactic community is largely preserved, which mean the Mass Effectg Relays stay, the different species you helped get to go home and rebuild, etc. That would be have been okay. Here though every option felt like a "defeat".

• Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    So what is the general consensus on the value of the DLC? Is it similar to Shadow Broker in terms of quality of content or is it more like Arrival?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    0blique wrote: »
    So what is the general consensus on the value of the DLC? Is it similar to Shadow Broker in terms of quality of content or is it more like Arrival?

It is like Kasumi

in that it involves the best squadmate in the game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

I would liken it more to Kasumi.

I like the squadmate personally, that being said I always think jackass characters are hilarious.

But the recruitment mission was pretty meh.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Visserian wrote: »

9 (skills) doesn't go into 181 evenly though; is there a way to not leave any points on the table?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Very early on Thessia question:
    Liara is hard-wired as one squadmate, I brought Vengeance as the other. When the asari Lieutenant at the Barrier wants to pull out, Vengeance gives her a "You're a warrior !" pep talk and convinces her to hold the line. I'm guessing that all of the non-Liara characters give a similar version of that speech, or is it only him ?
    Yeah, most people get some version of the line. If its a mission with a required squad member most ambient dialogue from the other person is repeated with slight variations from the optional squadmate.

Like the Dinosaur line when you're going to open up his stasis pod in the DLC mission? Everyone has a variant of that line, even Garrus. :"Hey Liara, you ever dig up, what do humans call them... dinosaurs?"
    "Blah, blah, blah, you're making a joke"
    "Yeah, but at least you're catching on now"

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

It is like Kasumi

in that it involves the best squadmate in the game

Javik does kind of seem to be the personification of every position you espouse. Also, apparently he can (minor interaction spoilers)
    smell sex on you, the fucking perv.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Really? I mean, mechanically is was vanilla, but the little scenes tossed in there were nice and it payed homage to the cypher and beacons from ME1.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.