As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...like as a Vanguard you can't charge them or nothing.

It completely fucks up your flowchart.

Also...someone needs to update the Vanguard flowchart to feature Nova.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    It reminds me of how you see the occupy wallstreet thing reported on. The biggest nutjobs make the news and they act like it's the entire group that's a bunch of insane d-bags and the main points people are trying to make get completely lost.
    It bothers me because even if they know the people making the game and want to defend the devs it should be obvious by the response that it's not just a really small group of nutjobs.

I can understand the people making a reasoned critique of ending and its problems. Some of them are even enlightening to read (like Jacobkosh's critique of ME3's ending). But most veer off into it completely ruining the entire game and I just don't understand it.

At this point just as a personal poll, about half the people I know who've played it loved the game, thought the ending was ok, or flawed but given everything else it was fine. The other half think the ending was made by Hitler, and the entire game by extension has become Space Hitler.

Thanks for linking that, Orca. I think Jacobkosh captured the ending's problem very succinctly. It's also interesting to hear that the writers apparently didn't come up with the endings ? Were they wished upon the writing team by developers trying to create Art ?

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Oh wow, something I just thought of. With the game losing people's unlocks in multiplayer that's a BIG problem since people can buy unlocks with MS points.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Just finished my first runthrough, and have some questions for the ending, and other people's endings.
    I opted for the Synthesis ending, as the Control ending seemed like a bad idea, and I'm saving the Kill All Synthetics ending for my Renegade Insanity run. In my ending, Joker is flying away with EDI, and crashes on a jungle planet. Liara then climbs out of the ship behind them, and they walk off together (with Joker having TIM glowy eyes). My question is - is Liara there because she was my love interest ? Or is she there for everyone ? Also, am I right in thinking she's pregnant ? On Earth, when she did the mind-meld thing, where her and Shepherd are in the field of stars, then there's an explosion) I took that to mean she was doing the DNA absorb thing her people do. Anyone else think the same thing ? And is it possible to save Shepherd, or does she sacrifice herself in every ending ? I'd saved all my crew from the previous games, so had hoped for a happy ending for my Shep, but I have a horrible feeling it's not to be...

I was actually surprised so many of my people survived, and was genuinely upset every time one of them died along the way (poor Morden, sacrificing himself to undo the Genophage. Thane finally dying form his woulds and illness. Legion killing himself in order to bring true sentience to the Geth. I's though Grunt was dead until he staggered out of the Rachni cave covered in blood.

And talking of the Rachni - was anyone else disappointed in their appearance in ME3 ? I have visions of a Rachnii fleet of ships taking part in the invasion, and was really disappointed in how they were used in the game...

Oh, and in the Synthesis ending - does the little kid really call him Grandpa Shepherd ? I would have lliked to watch the ending again (and try the others) but the stupid fucking game overwrites the autosave when it puts you back in the Normandy after the final video, and I'm a good 3 hours away from the ending on my last normal save

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Okay, angry rant time.
    About the end of the game, possible spoilers.
    Some of the people going on about how they don't want to live because of the ME3 ending are fucking ridiculous. They're sad. Very very sad. The people going on about how Bioware is a bad company, how the game is bad, they're idiots. That's obvious. However, all these gaming websites talking about entitlement and acting like everyone angry about the ending is a spoiled brat need to go fuck themselves, how out of touch with the gaming community are they when they can't spot that this ending is shit and people might be onto something with that fact? It's like I can HEAR them protecting advertising dollars by writing some of these pieces, it's just sad, Kotaku posted an article saying the ending is bad, and people should be upset, but before that they acted like it was horseshit in another piece. The whole thing just reeks of them doing what's best for them as a business and not just reporting on it.

I honestly doubt it's that insidious---I just think that they know folks in these companies and the natural instinct is to stick up for the people they know in the industry.

Unfortunately, when you have a crazy or two that shares your same opinion, sometimes people only hear the crazies and not the sane person with a similar opinion.

I think, however, that the uproar is too big to completely ignore in this case, or pretend it's just a case of a few loons.

Well. That's usually because the crazy person is shouting louder than everyone else.

I will say that we've managed to get a good equilibrium going in this thread though. I mean some people still don't like the ending, some do, some don't care. But not as bad as it was a bit ago.

Which is good because man did that stuff give me a headache.
    It seems that the universal overwhelming opinion is that the ending had serious issues and was generally negatively received though.

What does that have to do with what I said?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, something I just thought of. With the game losing people's unlocks in multiplayer that's a BIG problem since people can buy unlocks with MS points.

YECHHH.

That's actually a legitimate reason to start screaming.

edited March 2012

YECHHH.

That's actually a legitimate reason to start screaming.

I'm mad about the ending, I am. Past that though, I'm starting to really feel sorry for the people that made the game that are dealing with this whole mess, a game which, if it wasn't for the shit ending, would definitely be one of the greatest games I've played in my lifetime.
    ((Don't feel too bad Bioware, even if DLC doesn't fix this ending thing ME2 certainly has a top spot.))

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Just unlocked the Krogan Sentinel in MP.

Having never played Sentinel in my life, but desperate to play as a Krogan, I could use some pointers.

Halp?

• mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Just finished my first runthrough, and have some questions for the ending, and other people's endings.
    I opted for the Synthesis ending, as the Control ending seemed like a bad idea, and I'm saving the Kill All Synthetics ending for my Renegade Insanity run. In my ending, Joker is flying away with EDI, and crashes on a jungle planet. Liara then climbs out of the ship behind them, and they walk off together (with Joker having TIM glowy eyes). My question is - is Liara there because she was my love interest ? Or is she there for everyone ? Also, am I right in thinking she's pregnant ? On Earth, when she did the mind-meld thing, where her and Shepherd are in the field of stars, then there's an explosion) I took that to mean she was doing the DNA absorb thing her people do. Anyone else think the same thing ? And is it possible to save Shepherd, or does she sacrifice herself in every ending ? I'd saved all my crew from the previous games, so had hoped for a happy ending for my Shep, but I have a horrible feeling it's not to be...

I was actually surprised so many of my people survived, and was genuinely upset every time one of them died along the way (poor Morden, sacrificing himself to undo the Genophage. Thane finally dying form his woulds and illness. Legion killing himself in order to bring true sentience to the Geth. I's though Grunt was dead until he staggered out of the Rachni cave covered in blood.

And talking of the Rachni - was anyone else disappointed in their appearance in ME3 ? I have visions of a Rachnii fleet of ships taking part in the invasion, and was really disappointed in how they were used in the game...

Oh, and in the Synthesis ending - does the little kid really call him Grandpa Shepherd ? I would have lliked to watch the ending again (and try the others) but the stupid fucking game overwrites the autosave when it puts you back in the Normandy after the final video, and I'm a good 3 hours away from the ending on my last normal save
    Yeah, as far as I know, in the Synthesis ending it's always EDI, Joker, and your love interest that shows up.

It is possible to save Sheperd, but you have to do the Destroy ending.

And yeah, Rachni was disappointing as well. Oh man, I saved you guys just for you to get yourselves in trouble again? What the hell? {/spoiler]

steam_sig.png
    So...I just got in with a Group of Quarian Infiltrators trying to use sabotage to abuse Geth.

Yet, they were horrible and still died every 10 seconds.

>_>

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's clearly not just a few loons.

The outrage just seems over the top to me. I've read countless people describing why they're outraged, but I still don't grok why they feel that way.

OK, so there's problems, but they're not that bad.

Except, apparently, it's enough to taint the entire series in the eyes of more than a few people.

sigh.

Oh well...

You just have to tune out the raaaaaaaaage, it shouldn't bug you if you like the game.

I was a huge Fallout fan back in the day. Like, hearing there was going be a Fallout 3 was a sign that God loved me.

The ending raaaaage came and went, and you know what? I still like Fallout 3.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Am I supposed to run in with a normal sprint, Nova, and then charge, or charge in then nova then charge again? I almost have Charge ready to go again after a Nova, maybe half a second wait time.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I liked getting squadmates to rescue me from husk or banshee instant kills in single player

desperately waiting for the camera angle to focus on the thing killing me so I can let off their powers

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It seems like Nova -> Charge has the synergy in that you deplete shields and then refill them.

But Charge -> Nova also has great synergy in that you can position yourself right at the heart of the biggest group of enemies.

Additionally what are people's thoughts on Half Blast Nova?

Having never played Sentinel in my life, but desperate to play as a Krogan, I could use some pointers.

Halp?

There's a skill tree at the bottom that increases melee. Invest in it VERY heavily, the last perk makes it so it only requires 2 melee kills to go into HULK SMASH! mode. Then run around with the armor up smashing things in the face with heavy melee. You'll love it.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

The outrage just seems over the top to me. I've read countless people describing why they're outraged, but I still don't grok why they feel that way.

Except, apparently, it's enough to taint the entire series in the eyes of more than a few people.

sigh.

Oh well...

Orca, you tend to know the score, so this isn't a criticism.

Just... trying to convey why some people might feel that way, I suppose. I don't, exactly, but if this ending has any real impact, it could make me a little cross.

Also trying to figure out why you don't have issue. Always interesting to understand other opinions.
    It ignores the central themes of the game in favor of arbitrary new ones. And the ending is only about the arbitrary new themes. I mean, yeah. Synth/organic conflict is a thing in the series, but it's always felt in the same spot as, say, the genophage at most.

What will you do to survive? Major theme. The difference between what's right for the galaxy and what's right here and now? Major theme. Working together or watching out for #1? Major.

Organics and synths? Minor. What's more, one running option for Shep is "Eh. They're not that different. Less than the Krogans and the Salarians, say."

What's more, the themes have always felt less important than the characters. Scene with Anderson and Shep? It was character based. Not about the galaxy, as much as it was about two tired old soldiers finally resting.

The ending ending ignored your choices, and ignored all the characters. Compare it to Deus Ex (the original), where the world changing ending was based in themes central to the game, and the positions are advocated and argued about (in ways that fit) by characters you've come to have definite opinions on.

Here, a major part of the background is suddenly tied into a theme ripped out of Battlestar instead of something that came out of the rest of the game. I mean, Rannoch is a major contradiction to this whole idea no matter how it goes down. As is the basic nature of the Reapers.

You don't fight or argue with Harbinger. You don't see the crew one last time. You just talk with out-of-nowhere glowy kid who spouts random bullcrap.

Of course, a factor in this is I semi-accidentally picked synthesis, which is the most arbitrary bullshit of the endings.

Kill, with Shep's survival, is basically an acceptable ending with a lot of stupid stuff thrown in. Also, it kills off the Geth and EDI on the basis of "Synthetic!" (If the game had said it was because they were Reapertech, that'd be different. Rest of the ending of the ending would still be dumb, but that would make sense and fall under "people have to die for the good of the galaxy" that the game generally goes for.)

But again, it's magic glowy child's arbitrary bullshit that bugs. And why the indoctrination thing would make me happier.

All the ending but the last confusing cutscenes would happen. But it'd be about Shepard, Harbinger, and indoctrination (you know, stuff from the other games) instead of glowy kid and glowy magic that does science magic somehow and robots hate people because robots (as opposed to Mass Effect's standard "Why people hate each other" of "People can be assholes, no matter the species. And sometimes, it's necessary for survival."

Also, this is more personal, but spending most of the game saving civilization and getting refugees to the citadel, shoring up their defenses, and the like, it was just irritating to have everyone there killed offscreen to no real narrative purpose.

edited March 2012
    I gotta say, looking at the screenshots of Mass Effect: Infiltrator has me super excited. Cerberus dude looks bad as fuck, and I officially dub him Randall Eastwood.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Halp?
    Tech Armor + Krogan Berserker + Rage + Lift Grenades + Biggest shotgun you have.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    It seems like Nova -> Charge has the synergy in that you deplete shields and then refill them.

But Charge -> Nova also has great synergy in that you can position yourself right at the heart of the biggest group of enemies.

Additionally what are people's thoughts on Half Blast Nova?

I tried it for a mission just to see what it was like but my charge cooldown is so low I found it better to just charge straight off into more enemies to get all my shields back

Renegade Wolf on
  • EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    I think the ultimate testament to the greatness of the game as a whole is that in contemplating a second playthrough I can't think of anything I would do differently. The choices demand such investment that for me there's simply the "right" one on a personal level. I'm still going to play through again because the combat is great and there are tons of goosebump moments, but its really quite remarkable because as good as ME2 was, I never had that same issue. It's a good issue (imo) to have.

Ethereal wrote: »
    I think the ultimate testament to the greatness of the game as a whole is that in contemplating a second playthrough I can't think of anything I would do differently. The choices demand such investment that for me there's simply the "right" one on a personal level. I'm still going to play through again because the combat is great and there are tons of goosebump moments, but its really quite remarkable because as good as ME2 was, I never had that same issue. It's a good issue (imo) to have.

Honestly. The main reason I don't want to do anything differently...is because some of the choices you make are downright depressing.

I love it.

sigh.

Oh well...

You just have to tune out the raaaaaaaaage, it shouldn't bug you if you like the game.

I was a huge Fallout fan back in the day. Like, hearing there was going be a Fallout 3 was a sign that God loved me.

Well, yeah. The ending sucked.

So did the tunnels.

I still spent a good 100 hours in that world and loved the exploration.

Yeah, the writing was ass, the characters suck, and Little Lamplight can suck a dick, but when it's just me, my dog, and my hunting rifle, things are pretty swell.

how is the multiplayer in this game? realistically?

I already have SC2 as the greatest multiplayer game - ME3 has pretty much filled my previously-empty singleplayer gaming time (when I need a break from SC2). Curious about the multiplayer though.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah...like as a Vanguard you can't charge them or nothing.

It completely fucks up your flowchart.

Also...someone needs to update the Vanguard flowchart to feature Nova.

Definatly add banshees to the chart too.

Is it a banshee? Yes: GET AWAY! No: CHARGE!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Do banshees react faster with their oneshot kill, or something? Brutes have the oneshot kill and I have only been nabbed by them once.

• The Iron ChancellorThe Iron Chancellor Registered User regular
    That just happened to me as well. I posted in the pinned thread on their official forums http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9685812/16 and am hoping for the best.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I already have SC2 as the greatest multiplayer game - ME3 has pretty much filled my previously-empty singleplayer gaming time (when I need a break from SC2). Curious about the multiplayer though.

It's pretty great. You can play with me and I can humiliate you with how much better I am, just like SC2.
    Do banshees react faster with their oneshot kill, or something? Brutes have the oneshot kill and I have only been nabbed by them once.

A significant portion of the time, if you charge them they will just immediately grab you and kill you, with no possibility of escaping it. You can still Nova near them, but never charge a Banshee.

Lemming on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Yes, they grab you, which brings down your shields, lifts you up, which KOs you, then impales you - which kills you. They will do it on anything that they can grab in melee range, they have no other melee attack.

If your teammates can knock a Banshee into her stun animation, she'll drop you, which may save you from the impale death but at the least you're looking at heavy damage or a KO.

Donnicton on

sigh.

Oh well...

Well, yeah. The ending sucked.

So did the tunnels.

I still spent a good 100 hours in that world and loved the exploration.

Yeah, the writing was ass, the characters suck, and Little Lamplight can suck a dick, but when it's just me, my dog, and my hunting rifle, things are pretty swell.

I still like Blade Runner even though I think its ass people scream DECKER IS A REPLICANT CAUSE HE MADE THE UNICORN every chance they get. I enjoyed the original book and found the movie doesn't mean much if Decker was a Replicant all along.

Still a great movie though.

Hey so major story spoiler, check this out. VERY cool bit with Javik that I had missed during my play through.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

sigh.

Oh well...

Orca, you tend to know the score, so this isn't a criticism.

Just... trying to convey why some people might feel that way, I suppose. I don't, exactly, but if this ending has any real impact, it could make me a little cross.

Also trying to figure out why you don't have issue. Always interesting to understand other opinions.
    It ignores the central themes of the game in favor of arbitrary new ones. And the ending is only about the arbitrary new themes. I mean, yeah. Synth/organic conflict is a thing in the series, but it's always felt in the same spot as, say, the genophage at most.

What will you do to survive? Major theme. The difference between what's right for the galaxy and what's right here and now? Major theme. Working together or watching out for #1? Major.

Organics and synths? Minor. What's more, one running option for Shep is "Eh. They're not that different. Less than the Krogans and the Salarians, say."

What's more, the themes have always felt less important than the characters. Scene with Anderson and Shep? It was character based. Not about the galaxy, as much as it was about two tired old soldiers finally resting.

The ending ending ignored your choices, and ignored all the characters. Compare it to Deus Ex (the original), where the world changing ending was based in themes central to the game, and the positions are advocated and argued about (in ways that fit) by characters you've come to have definite opinions on.

Here, a major part of the background is suddenly tied into a theme ripped out of Battlestar instead of something that came out of the rest of the game. I mean, Rannoch is a major contradiction to this whole idea no matter how it goes down. As is the basic nature of the Reapers.

You don't fight or argue with Harbinger. You don't see the crew one last time. You just talk with out-of-nowhere glowy kid who spouts random bullcrap.

Of course, a factor in this is I semi-accidentally picked synthesis, which is the most arbitrary bullshit of the endings.

Kill, with Shep's survival, is basically an acceptable ending with a lot of stupid stuff thrown in. Also, it kills off the Geth and EDI on the basis of "Synthetic!" (If the game had said it was because they were Reapertech, that'd be different. Rest of the ending of the ending would still be dumb, but that would make sense and fall under "people have to die for the good of the galaxy" that the game generally goes for.)

But again, it's magic glowy child's arbitrary bullshit that bugs. And why the indoctrination thing would make me happier.

All the ending but the last confusing cutscenes would happen. But it'd be about Shepard, Harbinger, and indoctrination (you know, stuff from the other games) instead of glowy kid and glowy magic that does science magic somehow and robots hate people because robots (as opposed to Mass Effect's standard "Why people hate each other" of "People can be assholes, no matter the species. And sometimes, it's necessary for survival."

Also, this is more personal, but spending most of the game saving civilization and getting refugees to the citadel, shoring up their defenses, and the like, it was just irritating to have everyone there killed offscreen to no real narrative purpose.
    Well, I'm not saying the ending is great. It's got some whopping big holes in it, particularly everything after the explosion takes out the relays, and the explanation for why synthetics must die, and for the synthesis option (I took that one first, but I have some transhumanist tendencies). They definitely take a turn to the left once you get on that elevator and rise into the white light. The alternatives given are straight out of Deus Ex, and unlike Deus Ex, they haven't been building up to them the entire game. Plus the mechanic is silly (though people probably would have screamed if there wasn't one last choice to end the game on--I would have liked to have just your war assets define a bunch of stuff but oh well)/

I'm ok with the tone of what the ship crashlanding imparts to me. That is, a galaxy in ruins, but that has broken the cycles that have held it captive for millions of years, with the hope for a new tomorrow. The actual providence of the thing (why's Joker in FTL? Where's he going? How the fuck did my squad end up on there?) I'm more or less completely ignoring, because it makes no sense. :)

I like that Shepard sacrifices herself--they'd been pointing the way towards that the entire game. Arguably, the entire series: there's enough messianic imagery and references in Shepard's history (and name!) that we don't derisively refer to her as Space Jesus for nothing.

As for the Citadel etc. exploding, Cambiata put it more eloquently then I can here, but it comes down to the Citadel and relay network are a trap, one that they've talked about since ME1.

They had to go. So I was happy to see that they finally did, and that it was Shepard that breaks the cycle of development and reaping.

The rest--the leadup, the entire damn game is so good I just can't let a nonsensical ending ruin that.

It's pretty fun though a bit unpolished.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey so major story spoiler, check this out. VERY cool bit with Javik that I had missed during my play through.

I walked around the Normandy and usually the Citadel after just about every mission and I still somehow managed to miss like half the cool dialogue people are posting here.

... I think I need to start a new playthrough.

Is there some specific way you need to go to trigger some of this stuff or am I just really unobservant/bad at video games?

Z0re on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I've only been insta killed by a brute once, and that was on my adept, never on my vanguard. I had a banshee once, pull me after I already rolled away. Never charge a banshee.

Brutes I save my charge for when they charge me, it cancels it out. Then roll away and keep plinking their health till they charge again. Don't nova them though, even with half nova, one bad swipe and they can take you down.

Primes are easy as hell to charge to death if they are alone.

Mechs I usually don't charge. You can solo one, but they have so muc health, it's pretty unrealistic to not have them get some backup while you are distracted.

Phantoms are my favorite things to charge. Those bitches are scary when I play any other class except my vanguard. You completely cancel them.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    the Husks don't instakill... they can grab on to you, but even in multiplayer if you mash (or just press, maybe) the melee button once your camera comes around you push them off and stomp their head.

Also, if you check in with everyone after every story concerned mission, you shouldn't miss anything. Sometimes they'll be in different places, though.

Are you the magic man?
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    I love it when I see a Phantom on my Asari Adept. Put a giant bubble on them and let the rest of your team go to town.

Of course I'm weird in that I like having a sniper rifle on her so I can just bubble and headshot everything.

steam_sig.png
  • The Iron ChancellorThe Iron Chancellor Registered User regular
    Yay for losing all of your multiplayer progress!

You know I would bitch about Geth being so accurate with their rockets.

Then I remember they're Geth.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    So yeah, Me and Smiggy discovered something magical tonight....

There is very little in this world that can withstand the sustained fire of 3-4 Revenants, Frag Grenades, and Concussive Shots.

Also the SOUND of 3-4 Revenants going off and ripping brutes apart in 2-3 seconds is a sight that is beautiful to behold.

Thanks for the awesome games Smiggy!

And solider fo life!!!!!

You know I would bitch about Geth being so accurate with their rockets.

Then I remember they're Geth.

Fucking aimbots

This discussion has been closed.